Homeless in the subway system.

OMGit'sNicole

So yesterday I was riding the (F) , Queens bound, (from Brooklyn to Manhattan) and at Jay St-Metro Tech a homeless man gets on the train. The train is crowded and he is walking down the car and goes to hold on to one of the poles. This had to been one of the worst homeless men I gave seen in the system. This guy was not even wearing clothes. He had a blanket or some kind of sack or a tarp wrapped around him, like how you would wrap a blanket around yourself walking around your house. The blanket was a filthy gray color. He was not even wearing shoes, he had like paper bags on his feet.

So he gets off at Delancey Street. I was going to Broadway Lafyette.

So about a half hour later I head back to Broadway Lafyette to head uptown to 14th street and here is the same homeless guy on the Queens bound platform walking all over, shuffling his feet...

Every time I am on the train, there is always a homeless person or somebody asking for money or something...

But I feel the amount of Homeless in the subway had become worst now then ever. I feel that the (MTA) needs to do something about this problem. It makes riders uncomfortable and makes the ride unpleasant due to the odor and unsanitary conditions. I also NEVER sit on the corner end seats of the train because they are usually where the homeless or bums sit.

I was wondering how everyone else feels about this issue, and has anybody seen the man I have described running around the F line lately...

Thanks, Nicole

Penn Station, 'nuff said.

There's actually a lot of programs for these people that they are not aware of. There's quite a few programs to help them get back on their own 2 feet and to feed them, but some are either uninformed or have no will power to enroll themselves into the programs. Also, there's many other places they can go to, why ON the train, at rush hour? Too many homeless people are taking the easier way out by begging for money instead of signing up for programs.

Then again, too many people take the easy way out, which is why we're screwed as a nation.

I never really dealt with them on board trains, and no one's asked me for money underground except guys trying to sell rap CDs. I've had one encounter with a homeless in the subway, this homeless lady at the Roosevelt Avenue IND station who threw a fit because she thought I was taking her picture (which I wasn't). It was all on film too, but YouTube thought it was "hate speech" and took the video down. I know the homeless are a big problem in the subway though, but like the rats I guess there's not much we can do about them. Welcome to New York.

@Nichole, I think I saw that guy once at the same station :eek:

Typically if there is a hobo in the way of a photo or lying at the end of the station ill skip that photo op, you never know with those people, a lot of em are just not mentally stable, and its better to just come back another day than risk an altercation with one of em that you have no idea what kinda weapons they got, not to mention what sorta diseases they might be carrying, its like when you see an animal with rabies you just keep your distance and walk away without getting their attention.

It's always the (2) train where I stumble upon the homeless... Ahhh the (2) train!

the worst is the (D), this one homeless guy stunk like ass and death, i thought i was gunna die from teh smell or at least puke my guts out right htere on the floor, then i ran to the next car at the next stop, and in that car, theres some hobo peeing in the corner by the half cab cuz the door between the cars was locked.

lol I think I told you that story a few times

the worst is the (D), this one homeless guy stunk like ass and death, i thought i was gunna die from teh smell or at least puke my guts out right htere on the floor, then i ran to the next car at the next stop, and in that car, theres some hobo peeing in the corner by the half cab cuz the door between the cars was locked.

lol I think I told you that story a few times

I believe you have Jon lol

One time couple of weeks ago on a Saturday, I saw like 5 of them in the same train spread over 3 cars. The cleaning crews need more than mops and buckets, they need jet sprays. Give those bums a power wash and kick them out!

And yep... No surprises there

Its NYC...to them, the subway is like a 5-star hotel. Can't do nothing but get used to it

There's actually a lot of programs for these people that they are not aware of. There's quite a few programs to help them get back on their own 2 feet and to feed them, but some are either uninformed or have no will power to enroll themselves into the programs. Also, there's many other places they can go to, why ON the train, at rush hour? Too many homeless people are taking the easier way out by begging for money instead of signing up for programs.

Then again, too many people take the easy way out, which is why we're screwed as a nation.

Then you also got Grand Central, Port Authority, the (A), (D), (E), (F), (N), (2), (4) and other places

Was this guy dark skin and fat looking? I know theres a guy with glasses with afro hair and some brown clothing and slipper who sometimes wear a sign around him. Seen him countless amount of times.

~~~~~~~~

Its NYC...to them, the subway is like a 5-star hotel. Can't do nothing but get used to it

Then you also got Grand Central, Port Authority, the (A), (D), (E), (F), (N), (2), (4) and other places

True the others have homeless, but NY Penn Station is the WORST. Don't even go to the BATHROOM on the Amtrak Level near 33rd Street / 8th Ave Exit, that place has a HUGE amount of nut heads. Some exposing themselves, others peeking at other men. Had to deal with that before and NEVER again I use the bathrooms there. Don't know why the hell Amtrak Police ain't enforcing things there.. Smh!

Grand Central Terminal the homeless WILL be chilling on the lower level, thats a whole Homeless restaurant. Of course train tunnels they will be chilling too. There sleeping spots for SOME.

I have nothing against homeless people and I do feel bad for what they are going thru, but this has got to stop. They got to be placed in shelters already regardless of some not wanting a home. Almost every city I've been to, theres a homeless around. I know they are facing problems including some with drugs, but going that direction won't help anything!

As for choice of rush hour verses other times, pretty much they would pick rush hour since they have better chances to beg for money and/or draw attention, with more people around.

LOL... And I'm the elitist for wanting to ride on a subway without bums that is actually clean. Oh yeah and let's not forget that they are drawing more rats into the system, but yes let's keep eating all over the subway cars because we don't have a rat problem and we don't have a homeless problem in the subways... The (MTA) is in complete denial. If Joe Llhota is as lax with the homeless as he is with banning eating then we're in for a serious derailment. :eek:

When I started as a C/R I was told that MTA was sued for trying to remove the skells and now they can't do anything about it (lets see one of those lawyers or tree-hugging outreach workers let the skells stay in their home for a night, though!!!)–train crews can't even complain to Control Center about it and expect to get anything done unless said person(s) is/are committing a crime OR if it can be so eloquently worded; "This individual is giving off a noxious odor, [which is] causing other passengers to experience dizziness and nausea..."

...imagine the crew having to ride with them on the (2) or (A) on the midnight tours!

I never really dealt with them on board trains, and no one's asked me for money underground except guys trying to sell rap CDs. I've had one encounter with a homeless in the subway, this homeless lady at the Roosevelt Avenue IND station who threw a fit because she thought I was taking her picture (which I wasn't). It was all on film too, but YouTube thought it was "hate speech" and took the video down. I know the homeless are a big problem in the subway though, but like the rats I guess there's not much we can do about them. Welcome to New York.

WHAT?! Thats ridicolous! I swear youtube...

anyways Penn sta IMO is the worst. When I go bottle collecting I am ALWAYS running into them. There is one part where I call "homeless alley" because when no passengers are rushing up the steps in that area Homeless people lay (and I mean lay on the floor) around and stand around, usually about 10 of them there).

There has been an ad on some trains, and there is even one at Penn Sta (next time I go there I will get a pic of it) that is advertising to "give the homeless the help they need". They need to get more of those ads.

The ones at New York Penn station are the worst , However the NJT has done a great job of keeping the trouble makers out of Newark Penn and Hoboken.... The MTA really needs to do sweeps of the entire system...undercover cops , the homeless roaming the are smelly , dirty , and sometimes dangerous people...

The only way to solve the problem is to have NYPD come in and literally scoop them up and place them in the galley and into a police bus/van and and take them directly to a shelter.Why do we as average citizens have to be faced with this problem as we innocently transverse the NYC subway syStem to get get on our way wherever it may be?

The only way to solve the problem is to have NYPD come in and literally scoop them up and place them in the galley and into a police bus/van and and take them directly to a shelter.Why do we as average citizens have to be faced with this problem as we innocently transverse the NYC subway syStem to get get on our way wherever it may be?

Not only that, but some of those bums are also 'mental'. After the few killings on the platforms, that should've been enough to convince the MTA to kick them all out. I don't care they saved up $2.25 for the fare. The subways are not 'roach hotels'. You don't stay on for life. "Get on and get off."

There is one part where I call "homeless alley" because when no passengers are rushing up the steps in that area Homeless people lay (and I mean lay on the floor) around and stand around, usually about 10 of them there).

There are at least 2 or 3 areas I would consider as being "homeless alleys" (lol) in penn station....

- The main one I pass by, is the one that lies between the exit that leads directly to the back of the NB 1/2/3 (or the front of a SB 1/2/3) & one of the NJT entrances - passing by a newsstand & a restaurant..... You get there by walking to the left of where the LIRR riders wait to board their train, and then making another left.... Seldom you won't find a homeless person there....

I always walk down that hallway whenever I need the 7th av line @ Penn b/c you avoid the grunt of the ppl. standing around waiting for the LIRR (and all the ppl. coming from the 8th av line).....

- There's another corridor where you're prone to see a group of homeless ppl, over there by the Amtrak track entrance (upper level)....

- Yet another one, where if you're walking from the 8th av line to the 7th av line, there's a corridor just before you reach the main waiting area.... right by the customer service area..... The tracks that end leads to, are the same ones as if you were waiting for the LIRR in the main waiting area....

Basic point is, NY's (and NJ's too, but that's something else) Penn Station are overran w/ homeless, far more so than PABT (forget who it was that tried to make that claim)......

There are at least 2 or 3 areas I would consider as being "homeless alleys" (lol) in penn station....

- The main one I pass by, is the one that lies between the exit that leads directly to the back of the NB 1/2/3 (or the front of a SB 1/2/3) & one of the NJT entrances - passing by a newsstand & a restaurant..... You get there by walking to the left of where the LIRR riders wait to board their train, and then making another left.... Seldom you won't find a homeless person there....

I always walk down that hallway whenever I need the 7th av line @ Penn b/c you avoid the grunt of the ppl. standing around waiting for the LIRR (and all the ppl. coming from the 8th av line).....

- There's another corridor where you're prone to see a group of homeless ppl, over there by the Amtrak track entrance (upper level)....

- Yet another one, where if you're walking from the 8th av line to the 7th av line, there's a corridor just before you reach the main waiting area.... right by the customer service area..... The tracks that end leads to, are the same ones as if you were waiting for the LIRR in the main waiting area....

Basic point is, NY's (and NJ's too, but that's something else) Penn Station are overran w/ homeless, far more so than PABT (forget who it was that tried to make that claim)......

Is that first one you mentioned the one where the entry/exit from the 7 Ave has this really high ceiling and these bright orange sodium vapor lights, and the token booth is permanently close, and then its this long hallway till you get to the area between amtrak and the LIRR, I could have sworn I saw a sign there calling the Hilton passage or something similar.

The only way to solve the problem is to have NYPD come in and literally scoop them up and place them in the galley and into a police bus/van and and take them directly to a shelter.

It's bad enough that the MOS aren't allowed to act like real cops anymore, why burden them with even more bullshit?

Yeah, they call EMS to take them to the hospital. They did that all the time when I worked EMS in Newark, and still do it.

The other issue when it comes to tackling homelessness is that almost 50%, if not more, don't want the help. You can't help those who don't want it.

This is true. I saw a team of folks years ago downstairs in the dining area of Grand Central looking to help homeless people. This one black guy didn't seem to want the help though. I think they gave him food or something or a blanket, but he didn't want to go with them. I wonder if it's a pride thing or if the arrangements that they have are worse than being in say Grand Central? :confused:

Archived