Is it time to legalize most drugs including prescibed meds in America?

Shortline Bus

Should all drugs including cocaine be legalized in America for anyone age 18 & over?  

1. 1. Should all drugs including cocaine be legalized in America for anyone age 18 & over?

• Yes. Everything including cocaine.
    • Yes to all *except for cocaine.*
    • No except for medical usage such as marijuana with Doctor's permission only.
    • No under all circumstances. Don't even allow "Pot" to be legal.

On the recent deaths of Whitney Houston, Heath Ledger, Amy Winehouse and Micheal Jackson, a big issue that become political and controversial is this question. Feel free to vote in this poll.

Simply should most drugs(both illegal and doctor prescibed)be legal in the United States of America?

I will also post a video clip of the Bill O' Riley Show commentary on this issue from 2/13/12 stating his stance against it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZVY_GrMEAw

While Tony Bennet makes his case to legalize it. I offer my takes later on but wanted what your guys thinks?

Personally, I have no problem with pot being legal, but anything heavier than that like cocaine, etc, should not be legal under any circumstances, with the exception being under strict medical need and supervision. As long as its safe when used in moderation, but to be honest pot is no more or less dangerous than smoking cigarettes or drinking heavily.

A guy I had a crush on in high school died of a drug overdose when he was 18 :( he was on very hard drugs from what I heard. I personally would never smoke or drink heavily or do drugs, but if someone wants to do weed or something its their right to as long as they are being safe about it.

If cats wanna go out & ingest, or shoot up, or smoke up whatever drug they want, that's their business....

Not here to convince anyone of stoppin doin what they do to get phucked up....

Not on here on no moral police tip, not here on no Dr. phil tip, none of that....

However....

No, I don't agree with Tony Bennett....

Making all drugs legal will NOT dwindle the amt of people a] sneaking around (and making money off of it, I might add) & b] taking them..... wtf kind of asininity is that....

Having the availability of (currently) illegal drugs made easier during the times we're going through, and you'll have more folks walkin the streets all zoned out, walkin around like zombies before their unprolonged eventual death.... The crack epidemic of the 80's times one "jillion"..... You'd be doing more the hurt the current situation, not help it.... Bad enough the peer pressure kids continually have to face (and in some cases, end up givin in to it).....

You will watch crime go up too, leading to more injuries & deaths.... Have people cookin up, mixin up all types of isht.....

This guy must have never been around an addict, or noted ones behavior/mannerisms to suggest something like this....

Unbelievable.....

We tried that with cigarettes. Let people smoke them anywhere, cars, restaurants, homes, didn't regulate anything. No legislation. Took 40 years, but they all gave themselves cancer and secondhand smoke took care of tons more. Only recently do we finally have the common sense to ban smoking in restaurants and other indoor establishments, thousands and thousands of deaths later.

That's what happens when you don't regulate an addictive substance. I'm all for legalizing pot, but you legalize an addictive drug like cocaine or heroin and you not only let people destroy themselves, but everybody else through DUI, drug-induced violence, etc. Addictive drugs aren't good stuff.

They should add cigarettes to the list of things to ban. Nothing worse than a person who needs a cigarette. Some people smoke so much that you can smell them even if they haven't smoked. It's the smell becomes engrained in their skin or something. Really disgusting. If I have an individual come sit near me on the express bus that smells like that I usually have to either put the blowers on them to get rid of that smell or at least keep at bay or just get up and move. Makes me want to barf. :eek:

They should add cigarettes to the list of things to ban. Nothing worse than a person who needs a cigarette. Some people smoke so much that you can smell them even if they haven't smoked. It's the smell becomes engrained in their skin or something. Really disgusting. If I have an individual come sit near me on the express bus that smells like that I usually have to either put the blowers on them to get rid of that smell or at least keep at bay or just get up and move. Makes me want to barf. :eek:

Sure cigarettes smell awful VG8. However so does 'pot' so why not also ban that as well for that reason?:confused:

We tried that with cigarettes. Let people smoke them anywhere, cars, restaurants, homes, didn't regulate anything. No legislation. Took 40 years, but they all gave themselves cancer and secondhand smoke took care of tons more. Only recently do we finally have the common sense to ban smoking in restaurants and other indoor establishments, thousands and thousands of deaths later.

That's what happens when you don't regulate an addictive substance. I'm all for legalizing pot, but you legalize an addictive drug like cocaine or heroin and you not only let people destroy themselves, but everybody else through DUI, drug-induced violence, etc. Addictive drugs aren't good stuff.

Oh come on. You know what I really meant. Banning it's usage in less ventilated areas and areas with susceptible populations is clearly different than making it illegal to possess and use anywhere.

...it would take always funds from cartels and that alone would save billions

I agree.... In theory.

If I have an individual come sit near me on the express bus that smells like that I usually have to either put the blowers on them to get rid of that smell or at least keep at bay or just get up and move.

On the bus, I don't do any of that.... with the getting up part, on an empty to moderately crowded train, maybe... dependent if I have a lot of baggage or not, or not feeling totally lax at the time....

What I do is cover my nose w/ my shirt and/or my hoody.... Make sure they notice me doing it too....

I've gotten snickers (mild laughs, not the candy bar.... lol) from other ppl. off of doing that too.... They realize why I'm doing that... some actually follow suit in covering their own noses after the fact.....

Only time I use the A/C (obviously) is to cool off.... I find that they're not all that powerful in drifting stenches away; express buses never have windows open, so it's all going to circulate inside the bus anyway....

Nothing like that first whiff/inhalation of fresh air after you've gotten off a stuffy bus.

Sure cigarettes smell awful VG8. However so does 'pot' so why not also ban that as well for that reason?:confused:

lol @ how you put it.....

I picked Yes. Everything including cocaine. We don't need to legislate to protect people from themselves. If they wanted to screw themselves over, they'd find a way to do it.

To add to that, if they get cancer or whatever ailments from the drugs they used, then they should pay 100% of their medical costs. They want the drugs so bad, they should deal with the consequences.

At this point it is futile to make an all out ban on drugs and one can hope legalizing the lesser stuff will lessen the demand - but of course that'd be too simple as people will still want the stronger stuff.

To add to that, if they get cancer or whatever ailments from the drugs they used, then they should pay 100% of their medical costs. They want the drugs so bad, they should deal with the consequences.

At this point it is futile to make an all out ban on drugs and one can hope legalizing the lesser stuff will lessen the demand - but of course that'd be too simple as people will still want the stronger stuff.

Very true Concourse. If you going to legalize cocaine, make it expensive as hell including taxes to pay for the medical costs associated with the people bound to get addicted, sick or dead from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just playing devil's advocate here, but isn't a lot of the highly processed food plenty of people (myself included some days) ingest just as bad as occasional drug usage? Someone might not touch any illicit substances or booze but if they're trotting around at 400lbs and munching on a quarter-pounder meal in public, it's certainly not healthy. Cigarettes IMO are the worst - plus the poll is closed, but I don't think there is any reason for marijuana to be illegal - treat it like alcohol.

People should be reasonable for what they but in there own body's.with an exception that if they commit a crime while being high on drugs they should go to at an mandatory drug treatment program, if they don't go that a warrant for your arrest for 5 years in jail.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but isn't a lot of the highly processed food plenty of people (myself included some days) ingest just as bad as occasional drug usage? Someone might not touch any illicit substances or booze but if they're trotting around at 400lbs and munching on a quarter-pounder meal in public, it's certainly not healthy. Cigarettes IMO are the worst - plus the poll is closed, but I don't think there is any reason for marijuana to be illegal - treat it like alcohol.

minor rant:

As for people on the 'fast food only diet', they should be told the risks of unhealthy eating. If they choose to become obease because they refuse to eat 'alternative' foods*, then what ever medical costs they incur (need a new heart, clear clogged arteries) then they should pay out of their own pocket. They did it to themselves. Obviously if there is a genetic reason why such a person is obease, then that might be an exception (so long as they didn't eat so much fatty foods).

*food stamps should not be used to buy potato chips, soda, other unhealthy snacks.

Perhaps the issue of drug addiction needs to be tackled and not just putting a band-aid on it by "legalizing" drugs.

Perhaps everything has been tried and further actions have been towards the wrong direction. Anyone with any desire to get their hands on drugs can get them. My sister, in fact, happens to know a friend who hangs around potheads all day. She's clean, but the fact that it's so trivial to get any drug speaks volumes about the effectiveness of labeling it illegal. This is just like a smaller scale version of the prohibition era.

Archived