Metrocard - Swiping question

Via Garibaldi 8

Last Sunday I walked around for a bit down in SoHo on West Broadway after checking out a furniture place in the area and then made my way up to the Village. Eventually I got the idea to head up to Chelsea and decided I would take the (A)(C) or (E) over to 14th st from the West 4th st station. I get to the turnstile and swipe my Unlimited Express Bus Plus card and it kept asking me to swipe again. Eventually after about 7 or 8 swipes, I went over to the turnstile next to me and tried there and after a few swipes it said "Just Used" . It's not the first time that this has happened to me. In the past I've done the same thing and I've been able to get through using another turnstile. However, sometimes it doesn't work in my favor like this time. Rather than wait another 18 mins, I just walked back upstairs and got the M5 over to the M14 to continue my trip over to the Chelsea Market.

My question is why are you encouraged to use the same turnstile if it can't read your card and why does it say "Just Used" sometimes if you try to swipe at a different turnstile? It's really annoying to say the least. I'm also curious as to what is the protocol for maintaining the turnstiles and Metrocard vending machines? How often are these things checked??

I believe they had a smart card program along the (4)(5)(6) lines a year back or two. I heard that was a success. To be honest the swipe cards can be a hassle, especially if it's damaged or dirty.

I had this issue a handful amount of times, especially with unlimited ride card. Took me as much as eight swipes to go in since it said "Swipe again at this turnstile"

The MTA should start issuing MetroCards with RFIDs embedded into them, similar to how Chase cards have the "blink" RFIDs in the card, leaving passengers with the option to swipe or tap.

You want a swipe card that also is a smart card at the same time?

The MTA should start issuing MetroCards with RFIDs embedded into them, similar to how Chase cards have the "blink" RFIDs in the card, leaving passengers with the option to swipe or tap.

I don't see much of a point in that, nor do I see how the data would be stored on the card that way (the data would have to be encoded on the magstripe AND the RFID chip). What I do think the (MTA) should do is work with the Port Authority, change the SmartLink system to have cards with money on them rather than PATH rides (so they can be used on both systems with the fare difference), then start accepting the SmartLink, maybe at first as a pilot at stations that connect to PATH (WTC (E), Herald Square, etc.) though there would be no free transfers with it. While they test out SmartLink, MetroCards would still be accepted.

I don't see much of a point in that, nor do I see how the data would be stored on the card that way (the data would have to be encoded on the magstripe AND the RFID chip). What I do think the (MTA) should do is work with the Port Authority, change the SmartLink system to have cards with money on them rather than PATH rides (so they can be used on both systems with the fare difference), then start accepting the SmartLink, maybe at first as a pilot at stations that connect to PATH (WTC (E), Herald Square, etc.) though there would be no free transfers with it. While they test out SmartLink, MetroCards would still be accepted.

Sure why not. If it can be done with a Chase bank card then it can be done with a MetroCard as well.

I agree w/LRG. I've used the blink feature that Chase cards have and it makes things quicker. It would be another option to have if you can't swipe, plus it would probably require less maintenance.

Sure why not. If it can be done with a Chase bank card then it can be done with a MetroCard as well.

I agree w/LRG. I've used the blink feature that Chase cards have and it makes things quicker. It would be another option to have if you can't swipe, plus it would probably require less maintenance.

Yes, it would have that advantage of being an alternate method of payment in case swiping the card is givin you problems, but I wouldn't bother having RFID's implemented into MC's.....

MC's are meant to be expendable; well, outside of the ones the seniors get, which is a different animal.... they're more personalized.... which surely we don't need happening w/ the ones riders use everyday that you get from the MVM's..... Have that happen, and you can say goodbye to picking up an MC from your local bodega or gas station's mini mart.....

More to the topic, I can't see them implementing new technology into the cards just for the same purpose the magnetic strip exists on the current MC for..... I'd expect more (prodding) information to be prompted of the user of such cards.... In other words, personalizing the MC......

the data would have to be encoded on the magstripe AND the RFID chip

Right... It's double work.

I believe they had a smart card program along the (4)(5)(6) lines a year back or two. I heard that was a success. To be honest the swipe cards can be a hassle, especially if it's damaged or dirty.

I had this issue a handful amount of times, especially with unlimited ride card. Took me as much as eight swipes to go in since it said "Swipe again at this turnstile"

Yeah, I remember that! I got this this from either Chase or City bank (forget which one) and all I had to do was tap it at the turnstile and it worked. Only problem is that they were only in the subway, so you couldn't get a free transfer to the bus.

Yeah, the bus transfers would be problematic because you would have to get all the fareboxes replaced to do something like that.

I like the idea of the tapping. This has never happened to me, but some tourists or first-time riders, sometimes swipe too fast and end up destroying their card, especially if they do it at a bad angle. The smartcard would be an efficient remedy for something like that.

Yeah, the bus transfers would be problematic because you would have to get all the fareboxes replaced to do something like that.

I like the idea of the tapping. This has never happened to me, but some tourists or first-time riders, sometimes swipe too fast and end up destroying their card, especially if they do it at a bad angle. The smartcard would be an efficient remedy for something like that.

Reminds me of my brother. He used to slam his Student MetroCard into the machine and then pull it out. It's amazing it lasted the full 5 months (and he rode around a decent amount).

How exactly do you "slam" a Metrocard into the machine??? :confused:

It's kind of hard to describe. He would sort of push it in as the farebox sucked it in.

And for pulling it out (I know you didn't ask this, but for those who were wondering), I meant to say "Yank" or "Jerk" it out, just to clarify.

It's kind of hard to describe. He would sort of push it in as the farebox sucked it in.

And for pulling it out (I know you didn't ask this, but for those who were wondering), I meant to say "Yank" or "Jerk" it out, just to clarify.

I kinda see that now... He must be really good at it because if you're even off in the slightest, that card goes flying about. I'll stop there... I just re-read that and no comment. :eek: LOL

its really not the card thats the problem its the equipment(turnstiles,readers etc.) thats the problem.

Archived