Question about NICE

Guest MTA Bus

I would love to see some C40LF's out on Long Island, wearing the NICE colors, that is such a sweet bus!

However, I don't think that will happen, all the buses are Orion's and they probably keep up that trend. It is easier to have one manufacturer, the mechanics are used to it and you don't have to keep parts for different manufacturers, just one.

I would love to see some New Flyers or the new RTS end up in the NICE fleet though.

• 2 weeks later...

Veolia has also had some talks with MTS reps. at APTA this year about high floor RTS express buses. Even though Veolia and Orion have a great relationship, anything is possible at this point. But you can bet your botton dollar that the 40' LF market will remain with Orion for the near future. It's not cost effective for them to introduce a new model into the fleet.

Veolia has also had some talks with MTS reps. at APTA this year about high floor RTS express buses. Even though Veolia and Orion have a great relationship, anything is possible at this point. But you can bet your botton dollar that the 40' LF market will remain with Orion for the near future. It's not cost effective for them to introduce a new model into the fleet.

Was that Veolia as a whole looking at the RTS or NICE?

The NICE website says Michael Setzer "served as General Manager of large bus systems for Cincinnati, Minneapolis and St. Louis. While Roger Chapin "has managed major public transit systems in Denver and at Foothill Transit outside of Los Angeles. I would be surprised after having so much industry experience if these men haven't become loyal to certain equipment, and I wonder if this equipment will be slowly implemented into into NICE (if it isn't Orion).

Was that Veolia as a whole looking at the RTS or NICE?

The NICE website says Michael Setzer "served as General Manager of large bus systems for Cincinnati, Minneapolis and St. Louis. While Roger Chapin "has managed major public transit systems in Denver and at Foothill Transit outside of Los Angeles. I would be surprised after having so much industry experience if these men haven't become loyal to certain equipment, and I wonder if this equipment will be slowly implemented into into NICE (if it isn't Orion).

Veolia as a whole. NICE never even came up in the discussions from what I was told because they were not officially running the service at the time.

They might also get some Double Deckers a pilot on the n6/n22 (according to the Veolia execs at the meeting), so don't be surprised!

I'm not surprised, I've been a long time supporter (before Veolia) of double deckers on routes such as the N4 and N6, it just makes sense. When I heard Veolia was taking over I thought there may be a possibility of seeing double deckers.

I was just kidding around because it seems anybody who has mentioned double deckers in nassau county has gotten shit for it.

They might also get some Double Deckers a pilot on the n6/n22 (according to the Veolia execs at the meeting), so don't be surprised!

The thing is that double-deckers usually only work when the average ride is fairly long, because nobody's going to go all the way up to the upper deck just to get off 5 minutes later.

But I guess if they have the express service, they know that nobody's going to get off between Jamaica and Hempstead/RFM respectively. But the thing is that the buses have to be crowded enough to justify double-deckers (and if the N6X is bypassing a whole bunch of stops, I question how crowded it will get. I hope you don't end up with crushloaded locals and relatively empty expresses/former limiteds)

I question how crowded it will get. I hope you don't end up with crushloaded locals and relatively empty expresses/former limiteds)

Exactly! The N6 limited I ride in the AM during the week leaves the terminal with plenty of open seats depending on if other buses come in to the terminal. When we reach Fulton/Terrace we pick up about 3 people and Westminster about 3-4 as well. This new N6X won't have much people. The locals are probably going to be crowded! They should have left the limited instead of eliminating it. The N22 has a limited and now an express! The N6 should have a limited and express also.

Any route that passes under LIRR tracks, which is basically... all but two or three routes.

According to the spec sheet for the "TD925 DOUBLE DECK INTERCITY COACH" http://www.abc-companies.com/images/models/VH_TD925_1-12.pdf

The overall Height 13’ 1-1/16”

Don't tractor trailers that need a clearance of 13' 5" use the same roads as most of the routes? Do the LIRR bridges you are talking about have low clearance signs? If an underpass has a clearance of at least 14 feet, legally they don't need low clearance signs.

So if tractor trailers fit, why would a bus with a lower clearance have a problem?

"We would really want double deckers" - Veolia Rep.

In a nutshell (also to Ty24 and CheckMate): Articulated busses are great but not for some routes that have tight turns and such, ridership could be killed if Articulated Busses require a route being realigned. A double decker offers the convenience of a single deck while carrying more passengers, thus N4/6/22/24 with Double Deck busses would work!

And this time, you get a delicious candy! :cool:

WTF doubledeckers on local OHH SHIT can they start a trend across the country here.

Archived