Sports Illustrated bikini model Kate Upton sparks a debate

Shortline Bus

Kate Upton 2012 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition Cover Leaked Video - YouTube

"Kate Upton, the model splashed across the cover of this year’s Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition, is at the center of a hot debate that has nothing to do with birth control, Mitt Romney’s tax returns or how the heck Newt Gingrich persuaded three women to marry him.

Some among the sleek set in the fashion industry think the 19-year-old, self-promoting model is too chubby to be chic -- their definition of hefty encompassing 99% of the nation’s females. The fashion mavens denigrate Upton’s whole look – her too-blond hair, her generic, pouty cheerleader face and her long legs that one critic described as looking as if they belong to a player for the WNBA. The casting director for Victoria’s Secret fashion shows said she’d never allow such a skank to darken her runway. (We all know how Victoria’s Secret is the epitome of haute couture.)

Others look down on the young woman’s tabloid lifestyle, her romantic links to Kanye West and New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez and even the teeny-tiny size of her bikini bottom in the Sports Illustrated cover shot."

Sports Illustrated bikini model Kate Upton sparks a debate - latimes.com

reactions?

Some reactions....

- Never heard of her....

- lol @ the vid cap.... whenever you see that type of a warning in a YT vid w/ a corresponding link to it, it often leads to some BS site... I wouldn't check that site if I were any of y'all....

- I can't judge her body type based off that one pic.... but I will say, as far as the euro standard of beauty, you pretty much gotta be a stick figure to make the cut... that is, if you talkin bout steppin onto the modeling scene....

Some reactions....

- Never heard of her....

- lol @ the vid cap.... whenever you see that type of a warning in a YT vid w/ a corresponding link to it, it often leads to some BS site... I wouldn't check that site if I were any of y'all....

- I can't judge her body type based off that one pic.... but I will say, as far as the euro standard of beauty, you pretty much gotta be a stick figure to make the cut... that is, if you talkin bout steppin onto the modeling scene....

Bro (B35) other than her dating Jets star Mark Sanchez, I never heard of her till now either. What that LA Times column attached, was saying is that she maybe the biggest size(weight) young model ever to grace SI's swimsuit issue and could start a trend away from the usual 'stick figure' in most White & Asian supermodels. While in the real world, 90%-plus of American woman of all backgrounds are no where close to being a stick figure with their weight.

That why the tread was created. Plus it always 'water cooler' talk at work places & even at schools across America for years now.:eek:

Also the thread was created to find out since majority of the posters here on NYCTF are in that age bracket i.e men and some woman ages 17-35 many non sports fans, that SI creates this special issue for actually buys this cover? Remember supermodels from Kathy Ireland to Cindy Crawford and Tyra Banks became internationally known celebrities from being on SI swiwsuit covers over the years.

Yes the girl is Smokin.....

Miss Upton may only be 19 years of age but no doubt she a babe. :P

While i am not in not 'plus-size aka Big Beautiful woman myself at same time, I also not into these stick-model types either.

No wonder many of these models and in the entertainment biz as a whole have anorexia. However that for another topic.

Upton is a great fit IMO for a bigger size model without being 'too fat." No offense to the BBW ladies out there lol.

Miss Upton may only be 19 years of age but no doubt she a babe. :P

While i am not in not 'plus-size aka Big Beautiful woman myself at same time, I also not into these stick-model types either.

No wonder many of these models and in the entertainment biz as a whole have anorexia. However that for another topic.

Upton is a great fit IMO for a bigger size model without being 'too fat." No offense to the BBW ladies out there lol.

I agree with you and CPBO. Kate Upton is pretty hot. Honestly I've never heard of her until recently. In my opinion, Girls who are thick in the right places are fine. I'm pretty sure most guys would agree. On that note, she looks natural to me ( If you catch my drift ) ;) Kate is fine the way she is.

Same here, I think she looks fine. I don't like super skinny or super obese. So she's pretty fine, though 19 seems pretty young too me, I'd expect at least mid 20s.

Not to mention she(kate upton) just got internationally famous because of being the cover model for this year SI swimsuit issue. Thus her asking price just went into the millions of dollars. And so she has become the next Kathy Ireland, Cindy Crawford, Tyra Banks for the new decade of the 2010's. In a sense, being the "cover girl" for the swimsuit issue is now more lucrative than saying winning the Miss America Or Miss USA beauty pagents.

FYI. The SI swimsuit issue is always by far that magazine best selling issue every year.:P

FYI. The SI swimsuit issue is always by far that magazine best selling issue every year.:(

I concur but playboy isn't to far behind :P I've been a loyal fan of SI swimsuit issues since '06. Dumb question but has the new SI swimsuit issue been released yet? I went to my usual magazine store but it wasn't on display.

Bro (B35) other than her dating Jets star Mark Sanchez, I never heard of her till now either. What that LA Times column attached, was saying is that she maybe the biggest size(weight) young model ever to grace SI's swimsuit issue and could start a trend away from the usual 'stick figure' in most White & Asian supermodels. While in the real world, 90%-plus of American woman of all backgrounds are no where close to being a stick figure with their weight.

That why the tread was created. Plus it always 'water cooler' talk at work places & even at schools across America for years now.:eek:

Also the thread was created to find out since majority of the posters here on NYCTF are in that age bracket i.e men and some woman ages 17-35 many non sports fans, that SI creates this special issue for actually buys this cover?

Remember supermodels from Kathy Ireland to Cindy Crawford and Tyra Banks became internationally known celebrities from being on SI swiwsuit covers over the years.

This won't start no trend of that nature.... Kate Upton isn't of near enough of an importance to change the euro standard of beauty that we (as a country) designate/define a shapely (if you can even call it that), beautiful woman.....

One standard of which I never went by anyway....

I'm subscribed to SI.... and coincidentally this issue came in the mail the same day this thread was started....

I checked her out; while ole girl isn't unattractive per se, she doesn't do anything for me......

I really do hate it when girls show off their bodies to the world to see. Just isn't my thing.

You certainly have that right.....

Bear in mind you're not the one dating these chicks in the mags.....

Also bear in mind that you'll be hard-pressed to find an attractive woman that won't be willing to show off her body in some way, shape, or form.... whether it be on some social networking site, some urban modeling site/forum, or in some magazine.... or dare I say it, out on the street w/ the wearing of provocative enough clothing..... Oh, and their relationship statuses isn't a deterrent to that either... It's not by accident that you're hearing about these broads' phones getting "hacked" into....

Also bear in mind that you'll be hard-pressed to find an attractive woman that won't be willing to show off her body in some way, shape, or form.... whether it be on some social networking site, some urban modeling site/forum, or in some magazine.... or dare I say it, out on the street w/ the wearing of provocative enough clothing..... Oh, and their relationship statuses isn't a deterrent to that either... It's not by accident that you're hearing about these broads' phones getting "hacked" into....

It all depends if she's somebody who would universally be considered "attractive", though.

I mean, there could be girls that by everybody else's standards would be considered just average (nothing wrong with their looks, but nothing really stands out) and you consider them attractive, and then the reverse works as well. Remember that beauty is in the eye on the beholder. (And it's not the cliche saying because I do/have known girls that fit into both categories)

It all depends if she's somebody who would universally be considered "attractive", though.

I mean, there could be girls that by everybody else's standards would be considered just average (nothing wrong with their looks, but nothing really stands out) and you consider them attractive, and then the reverse works as well. Remember that beauty is in the eye on the beholder. (And it's not the cliche saying because I do/have known girls that fit into both categories)

don't bore me with semantics....

Archived