R-44's in CI Yard.

Metal On Metal

I was sitting in slow traffic on the Belt Pkwy yesterday and saw about five 10 cars sets of R-44's. By the looks of things these are for sure heading to the scrap heap. Are these cars headed for Bush Terminal and then ferry to Greenville Yard en route to Naparano? Why are they not reefing these cars? With the past 10+ years of reefing I'm wondering what the MTA does for scrapping now. Does anyone here know? Also how many more R-44's are there laying around in 207th or Pitkin?

I do not work for the TA, however, IMHO, to be environmentally friendly, I guess that they would eventually go to 207 Street Yard to be reefed. Keep in mind that there is not a lot of room at the 207 Street Yard to store these trains.

I was sitting in slow traffic on the Belt Pkwy yesterday and saw about five 10 cars sets of R-44's. By the looks of things these are for sure heading to the scrap heap. Are these cars headed for Bush Terminal and then ferry to Greenville Yard en route to Naparano? Why are they not reefing these cars? With the past 10+ years of reefing I'm wondering what the MTA does for scrapping now. Does anyone here know? Also how many more R-44's are there laying around in 207th or Pitkin?

Reefing program was too expensive, or they were afraid of the toxic materials. I don't think any R44's exist in 207th or Pitkin. They have been removed. They aren't seeing service ever again after being flooded by Hurricane Irene back in August 2011.

Reefing program was too expensive, or they were afraid of the toxic materials. I don't think any R44's exist in 207th or Pitkin. They have been removed. They aren't seeing service ever again after being flooded by Hurricane Irene back in August 2011.

Where did they get flooded by Hurricane Irene?

I do not work for the TA, however, IMHO, to be environmentally friendly, I guess that they would eventually go to 207 Street Yard to be reefed. Keep in mind that there is not a lot of room at the 207 Street Yard to store these trains.

They aren't getting reefed. They are getting scrapped.

In the days before reefing they would also use those same tracks for R27/R30's which were headed for Bush Terminal Yard and then to Jersey for scrapping. I don't like to assume but I wonder if they will wind up at 1st Ave and 45st Bush Terminal/SBK Yard? I don't pass on the Belt often so I hope someone here can let me know. I'd love to go photograph them at Bush Terminal. It's been years since I took pictures there.

207th St yard still has quite few R44s.

They also got flooded too. Meaning that they will never see service again. Once something has water in it it's basically dead.

Not true at all. After the flood at BERA, members (including myself) have been hard at work restoring the cars that were flooded, and several have been returned to service.

Never assume such grand things.

Guest lance25

Staten Island's cars are in much better shape than their NYCTA counterparts. That's why the former's trains are still running while the latter ones are awaiting their inevitable scrapping.

There were two very badly damaged R44's in 207st from mid to late 80's. They were burnt. Anyone know what accident they were involved in.

Also there were two R-46's in the back of Coney Island Yard on Macdonald Ave

side for over ten years. Was always curious to why they were not GOH'd. They did not look to have damage on the exterior.

I am still curious to what the scrapping plan is for the R-44's. I had read they were to flat bed them out of 207st. Now they are sitting on the same tracks in CI yard that was the death row tracks for many trains bound for SBK Yard in Sunset Park. So does anyone know who the MTA awarded the scrapping contract to?

Archived