NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

This is a Thread discussing the planned service changes to the N2/N8, N6, N16, N22, N23, N24, N27, N41 and N78/N79. *Please keep your comments/proposals and other chat to this topic only.*

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv284/tvega961/image.jpg

NASSAU CO. (WABC) -- Bus service cuts are looming in Nassau County.

The private company that runs NICE bus service is planning service cuts in April to close a $7.3 million budget shortfall, officials said.

Veolia Transportation took over the bus system just last month.

The company says it wants to introduce a re-designed bus system that will include some service reductions and reconfigurations, new express routes, as well as new, improved and restored service on Apirl 8.

More details about the plans will be presented a community meetings on February 22nd and 23rd.

NICE bus service reductions proposed | 7online.com

More Information...Community Meetings:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Source: News12.com

(02/17/12) MINEOLA - The operator of Nassau County's recently privatized bus system says it's already facing a multimillion-dollar budget hole and is planning service cuts to fill it.

Veolia Transportation took over Nassau's bus system just over a month ago and changed its name to Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE) Bus. Now, Veolia officials say the system is facing a $7.3 million budget deficit.

To plug the gap, Veolia says it will roll out schedule changes and service cuts in April. Representatives say that no routes will be eliminated, but the less popular ones will see fewer buses, which would mean longer wait times for commuters.

The company did not say which routes will be affected but said that information will be released at planned public meetings on Feb. 22 and 23.

There is some good news: the NICE system is adding express bus service to the city, which could cut commutes by up to 20 minutes. It's also restoring service to Mercy Hospital.

Express bus service to the city? Interesting. Obviously that would've been a conflict of interest for LIB/MTA.

I wonder if they'll revive the N17 or just detour the N16 to pass by the hospital.

Edited by N6 Limited

They're facing the same issues that just about every transit agency in the country is facing. Joel is so friggin' certain that things would be sooo much better under the (MTA).

So true like another rant front or joel rantpower. sometimes strategic restructuring can be a good thing you will hear my rage or my force on the 23rd. bring it NICE I am not scared of no mangano the problem with the MTA is they aren't open minded and unimaginative in a sence they are clueless in suburban routing. However this NICE can go either way good or bad something a certain someone can't understand.

Meanwhile, the 5-member TAC has been nominated.

Long Island Item

Mangano's picks:

-An Elmont firefighter, EMT, and school bus driver

-A Morgan Stanley exec

-A taxi company vice president

Republicans: a financial consultant

Democrats: A village trustee and NYC bus driver

Those sound like people who have nothing to do with and don't use, the Nassau bus system.

They're facing the same issues that just about every transit agency in the country is facing. Joel is so friggin' certain that things would be sooo much better under the (MTA).

And Vittorio never shuts up when the bus operator of his MCI misses his stop by four inches and scuffs his $200000 shoes after he dashes his foot against the curb.

I really don't get it, he's not the only one either. They have all forgotten that the MTA wanted to cut half of Nassau's service on JANUARY FIRST, TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE. The MTA doesn't think, they just slash.

So true like another rant front or joel rantpower. sometimes strategic restructuring can be a good thing you will hear my rage or my force on the 23rd. bring it NICE I am not scared of no mangano the problem with the MTA is they aren't open minded and unimaginative in a sence they are clueless in suburban routing. However this NICE can go either way good or bad something a certain someone can't understand.

Why do a lot of people act like Mangano is personally running the bus system?

Anyway, I agree with your comment on the MTA. Though they did come up with the N43. The N8, i'm not sure whats going on with that. Its potential is limited ending at Hempstead Turnpike. Basically it goes the Green Acres, serves Dutch Broadway, but goes no where else.

The only one that makes no sense is the taxi guy he will destroy service taxi guys can never be trusted.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of the taxi company owner (whatever) being on a bus committee.

Express Bus Service to the city? Thats awesome! But are we talking about JUST to Queens or directly to Manhattan? Because this could cause somewhat a completion with LIRR.

But don't you see, the (MTA) was going to cut half its routes during the year, and then completely shut down LIB in the future, due to lack of funds.

NICE on the other hand, is going to continue service. However, I don't even know if these reduced service will even help out. I'm sure some cuts will have to occur in the future.

Yeah, the (MTA) would of done better, if Nassau would pay up, but we can't do anything. All we gotta hope for is NICE will not become a major problem.

Yeah, the (MTA) would of done better, if Nassau would pay up, but we can't do anything. All we gotta hope for is NICE will not become a major problem.

I keep on hearing that (MTA) LIB would have been alright if Nassau paid their fair share? What's the fair share of a bloated budget? Yea Nassau is going to have to pay, maybe not what it likes, (and they might not even have the money to pay what the system needs to run as it has, times are tough, all over the world. But is Nassau paying the (MTA) what they feel is fair to operate a skeleton system on a bloated budget really fair to the county, the riders, or the tax payers?

Source: News12.com

Express bus service to the city? Interesting. Obviously that would've been a conflict of interest for LIB/MTA.

I wonder if they'll revive the N17 or just detour the N16 to pass by the hospital.

There would have been no conflict if interest at all. They are and always have been two seperate systems.

Boy please! All this NICE bullshit is a front! Before it's all said and done with, watch how much service is slashed. All of a sudden there is a $7 million shortfall??? Believe those lies if you want.... Even my grandmother knows Nassau didn't have any money, and anyone who believed they would be able to "have a better system" now that the MTA isn't running it clearly needs a dose of reality. Wait..... Didn't I say it was going to turn out just like this a year and a half ago???

So before you go jumping all over Joel, sit down. He knows more about Nassau than you do!

Boy please! All this NICE bullshit is a front! Before it's all said and done with, watch how much service is slashed. All of a sudden there is a $7 million shortfall??? Believe those lies if you want.... Even my grandmother knows Nassau didn't have any money, and anyone who believed they would be able to "have a better system" now that the MTA isn't running it clearly needs a dose of reality. Wait..... Didn't I say it was going to turn out just like this a year and a half ago???So before you go jumping all over Joel, sit down. He knows more about Nassau than you do!

AMENN Enough said! We'll be hearing the same stuff again come this fall about a budget shortfall.

Really, either way it's playing out well with a private operator in place. However, to answer your question the (MTA) is demanding about 25-35 million dollars to retain service, [Nassau's only willing to give 9-10 Million dollars]. As for Veolia, Nassau is giving them 2-3 million dollars, if they want to mend this budget shortfall, it would be 9-10 million dollars but without cuts as the (MTA) is threatening to do.

I think Nassau did the right thing to switch Operators, however, they should still give a fair share to Veolia so the taxpayers wouldn't suffer, heck the taxpayers pay taxes for such public services and amenities. It seems like both Nassau Co. Gov't and the (MTA) is at fault, however it still seems like Nassau Co. Gov't is the lone suspect at fault post-transition and really Mangano would like to see a damn Skeleton System which would piss off riders, like myself despite trying to mend the debt facing the county.

BTW, the county has the money, they are willing to shed some $4xx million bucks for a new Islander Stadium and Recreational Complex, and paying CEO-style pay to a School Board member up in the rich-elite section of North Shore Nassau...

You really think he cares about anyone that's stepped foot on a bus here? Please...

AMENN Enough said! We'll be hearing the same stuff again come this fall about a budget shortfall.

So that would be ok from the MTA but not ok from NICE?

The only good thing that's come from NICE so far are the drivers being able to really let loose in their driving from what I've heard from a good friend...

How so?