NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

I can't believe that they kept things like 20-minute Sunday frequencies on the n15 and those 15-minutes frequencies on Saturday mornings on the n70/71/72 over the n6x to NCC.

This is going to be painful for people who go to and leave from campus mid-day at NCC, as well as those who need to travel to/from 60 Charles Lindbergh. You'll have most, if not all, n16 buses flagging 60 Charles Lindbergh on the way from NCC to Hempstead, and with the n27 being every hour instead of every 30 minutes, it's going to be tough for them to get to/from there. Also, the volume of riders needing to board an n16 at Hempstead towards Roosevelt Field will be so high that many students will probably find themselves unable to get on the bus after waiting in line to board, and unless a n35 arrives to provide salvation, they'll be very late to class.

The easiest way to remedy this is to extend all mid-day n35 trips to NCC during the fall and spring semesters, but that isn't going to happen.

All-Island Cab must be rubbing their hands in glee right now.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An addition to the above, because NICE is really underfunded:

n21: Midday service on weekdays is discontinued

n24: 10:15 PM bus from Jamaica weekday extended to Hicksville, will teleport to Mineola Intermodel Terminal once bus reaches Jericho Turnpike & Nassau Boulevard at 10:46 PM. Arrives Hicksville at 11:10 PM.

n55: All westbound buses after 11:00 AM will time warp at Uniondale, and then proceed to HTC. Forget the car, forget the LIRR, here are new sample running times from Sunrise Mall to HTC:

11:49 AM trip: 28 minutes

2:49 PM trip:  4 minutes

5:34 PM trip: 10 minutes

8:38 PM trip:  -27 minutes

10:32 PM trip: -80 minutes.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

N70/71/72: Basically, SUNY Farmingdale got an increase in service, and the N72 route number is only used for RT110 short turns. 

N6: No clear indication of when the artics will be running.

An addition to the above, because NICE is really underfunded:

n21: Midday service on weekdays is discontinued

n24: 10:15 PM bus from Jamaica weekday extended to Hicksville, will teleport to Mineola Intermodel Terminal once bus reaches Jericho Turnpike & Nassau Boulevard at 10:46 PM. Arrives Hicksville at 11:10 PM.

n55: All westbound buses after 11:00 AM will time warp at Uniondale, and then proceed to HTC. Forget the car, forget the LIRR, here are new sample running times from Sunrise Mall to HTC:

11:49 AM trip: 28 minutes

2:49 PM trip:  4 minutes

5:34 PM trip: 10 minutes

8:38 PM trip:  -27 minutes

10:32 PM trip: -80 minutes.

LOL! I had to see that for myself. Looks like there needs to be a "v4" PDF

Edited by N6 Limited

Perhaps since NICE seems to have discovered warping technology, perhaps they could sell that off and use it to fill the budget gap?

It would be cool if they implement it on the Queens/Nassau Routes. Warp from the county Line to the Subway Station, they'd see a big increase in ridership, lol.

It also seems that all n22a trips are being converted into n22 short turns that begin/end in Mineola.

Yep. The page links to the wrong PDF...this is the right one: http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-FrontPageNewsImages/NICE-n22_Apr2017_v2.pdf

So now, as compared to the original December proposals for April,

-Confirmed additional cuts: n57, n33 Sunday

-Confirmed service saved: n21 Saturday, n1 midday/evening, n80 rush hour, Elmont Flexi hourly

-Possible additional cuts: n27 midday hourly, n27 weekend

-Possible service saved: n88, n35 Westbury, Mercy shuttle

Hopefully we get the new schedules for the remaining few routes within the next couple days.

Edited by Amtrak7

I can't believe that they kept things like 20-minute Sunday frequencies on the n15 and those 15-minutes frequencies on Saturday mornings on the n70/71/72 over the n6x to NCC.

This is going to be painful for people who go to and leave from campus mid-day at NCC, as well as those who need to travel to/from 60 Charles Lindbergh. You'll have most, if not all, n16 buses flagging 60 Charles Lindbergh on the way from NCC to Hempstead, and with the n27 being every hour instead of every 30 minutes, it's going to be tough for them to get to/from there. Also, the volume of riders needing to board an n16 at Hempstead towards Roosevelt Field will be so high that many students will probably find themselves unable to get on the bus after waiting in line to board, and unless a n35 arrives to provide salvation, they'll be very late to class.

The easiest way to remedy this is to extend all mid-day n35 trips to NCC during the fall and spring semesters, but that isn't going to happen.

All-Island Cab must be rubbing their hands in glee right now.

The 20-minute Sunday Frequencies on the n15 might come in handy for people trying to get to/from the mall over the weekend right after the cuts take effect in April.

Now that I think about it, what's stopping the students from taking the n15 from HTC to Roosevelt Field and then transfer to the n43, or even taking the n70/71/72 from HTC to Uniondale Ave/Earle Ovington Blvd to get the n43 for NCC? Both can function as an alternative to the n16, n35 and n6x between Hempstead and NCC. The n6x HTC/NCC shuttles must've been eliminated due lack of ridership and cuts in the budget.

Edited by NY1635

n27, n35, and the correct n22 are now online. No significant changes in n35 service. Midday n27 now operates hourly, with no weekend service - no Sunday service in Glen Cove at all!

So now, as compared to the original December proposals for April,

-Confirmed additional cuts: n57, n33 Sunday, n27 hourly weekday, n27 weekend

-Confirmed service saved: n21 Saturday, n35 Westbury, n1 midday/evening, n80 rush hour, Elmont Flexi hourly

-Possible service saved: n88, Mercy shuttle

Edited by Amtrak7

The April Service cuts don't look too bad in comparison to the ones in the past. The n70 actually gained more service on Weekdays at the expense of the n72, which is reduced to a weeknight and weekend route. Somewhere down the line they have to get rid of that number and just call the Conklin/110 short turns the n70 for the sake of simplicity.  The schedule is actually easier to read without the time points for Newsday and Babylon Trips, and calling the Rt110 short turns the n70 would lessen the confusion more. Even with more funding, I can't imagine the n72 ever going back to running to Babylon.

The n22 needs some improvement with it's schedule. Some of the n22a trips should've been converted into additional n22x trips. I understand that NICE doesn't too much service running on Old Country Road between Mineola and the Mall, but the short turns at the Intermodal Center seems too excessive. Folks trying to get to the Mall from Jamaica during the rush are going to pass up those Minoela buses and use the n24 or a Hicksville bound n22 for RFM. (Unless those n22 Mineola short turns exist for the people coming from the n40/41 at the Intermodal Center)

The 20-minute Sunday Frequencies on the n15 might come in handy for people trying to get to/from the mall over the weekend right after the cuts take effect in April.

Now that I think about it, what's stopping the students from taking the n15 from HTC to Roosevelt Field and then transfer to the n43, or even taking the n70/71/72 from HTC to Uniondale Ave/Earle Ovington Blvd to get the n43 for NCC? Both can function as an alternative to the n16, n35 and n6x between Hempstead and NCC. The n6x HTC/NCC shuttles must've been eliminated due lack of ridership and cuts in the budget.

In the case of the n15 to the n43, it's because you have roughly a two-minute window on average to make a connection between them. Factor in that waiting at Roosevelt Field is very uncomfortable (no benches to sit on, for example), and you've got an unpleasant experience if you miss the connection.

The April Service cuts don't look too bad in comparison to the ones in the past. The n70 actually gained more service on Weekdays at the expense of the n72, which is reduced to a weeknight and weekend route. Somewhere down the line they have to get rid of that number and just call the Conklin/110 short turns the n70 for the sake of simplicity.  The schedule is actually easier to read without the time points for Newsday and Babylon Trips, and calling the Rt110 short turns the n70 would lessen the confusion more. Even with more funding, I can't imagine the n72 ever going back to running to Babylon.

If all N70s go to Suny Farmingdale and all N72s are short turns at RT110 that's pretty straight forward.

NEver thought of that fixture of the s1 then the n72 since from the petrol station it gets heavy due west...then again the 6:45pm s58 towards East North port is a very dangerous connecting fixture since the last s58 arrives Commack Plaza at 8:25pm the very same time the s54 arrives there as well. ..to self note NYS 25 is one carriageway that is it is not dual so to make it to Commack ontime is a 40% chance UNLESS you tell the s58 driverto radio the s54 to coordinate. ..i two years ago almost got stranded because the s58 passed Middle Island Artist Laje at 630pm when distance from that point to Riverhead is 30 minutes...when it arrived Tanger it was 6:47pm so inconclusion the s58 was late for to leave from Riverhead. ..i told the driver to radio the last s66 and it arrived at 6:57pm do tje s66 leftRiverhead 7 minutes late (mostly my fault) but it arrivePatchogue at 8:15pm right on schedule so no need to have been mad at me the driver

Well back to the threa. .. LIRR from Port Jefferson to Hicksville id a last resort option why not waste two more dollars and be ontime. ..but my fantrips aren't the issue since i go to Flanders to visit family members and going to the city is 21.00 USD plus 2.25 on the s92 leaving Flanders.. ..on these times one must save up..but also the issue of the elimination of the n79 has to do for some who go to work at WW. Mall or even as far as Hauppauge so in sense the interconnection. Must not be obsolete. ..also note to self in the peak hours the n79 gets kinda packed as well as the n72 from Babylon very full so NICE must note to self that procedure. ..also the n19 can't be deregistered simply becauseit is a key troute on the merrick road. ..im down with the elimination portion of the route east of sunrise but not the entire route...but many would contradict me by saying we have LIRR for that replacement. ..it is not based on LIRR but by saving a major historic route. ,,or maybejust mmaybe NICE is scrapping routes like in the 20's many trolley lines were replaced by diesel buses. ..nowadays people have cars or at least based a connection to. LIRR...but here's thr problem im down with these routes being scrapped as long as my Caribbean buddies enhance jitney service on these areasat a flat rate of $3.00 then i would accept. ..but for now im against

The ideas I am looking at are as follows:

N19: Hourly service Freeport - Sunrise Mall

​N74: Hourly service Babylon - Farmingdale, limited stop service Farmingdale - Hempstead
​N79: Hourly service S Huntington - Hicksville, super express Hicksville - Roosevelt Field (for additional connections).

​I would need the Rockville Centre Depot to do more. I am hesitant to do anything without that garage. I could take the Orions about to be retired and keep them in service until new buses arrive. I would like to pick up some of the personnel that are being laid off, but I do not know if enough people with CNG experience would be left over.

The ideas I am looking at are as follows:

N19: Hourly service Freeport - Sunrise Mall

​N74: Hourly service Babylon - Farmingdale, limited stop service Farmingdale - Hempstead

​N79: Hourly service S Huntington - Hicksville, super express Hicksville - Roosevelt Field (for additional connections).

​I would need the Rockville Centre Depot to do more. I am hesitant to do anything without that garage. I could take the Orions about to be retired and keep them in service until new buses arrive. I would like to pick up some of the personnel that are being laid off, but I do not know if enough people with CNG experience would be left over.

You'll have to convince those developers from not tearing RVC down

So if they're closing RVC, and they need to increase bus service in the future, how could they do it if the RVC property is sold? Would changing the fleet to mostly artics work? Would would a bunch of artics be too much for Mitchel Field?

That is my question. If the money is brought in, how will they expand. The only way to expand is to expand Mitchell Field. Even NICE said they need to reconfigure Mitchell field to fit all the buses after April.

That is my question. If the money is brought in, how will they expand. The only way to expand is to expand Mitchell Field. Even NICE said they need to reconfigure Mitchell field to fit all the buses after April.

I don't think anyone expects a rescue this time.

Getting rid of the n22a to have more buses (n22's) run b/w MIC (Mineola Intermodal) & Jamaica???

They may as well have gotten rid of the n22a (leaving n22 service alone) & kept the n79.....

There's going to be more trips out of Mineola leaving with little to no one (thanks to this), instead of the same situation from RFM (w/ the current 22a)...  Another way of putting this is, your chances of catching lightning in a bottle (a relatively, or literal, packed bus) are much greater from RFM than from MIC.....

MIC is a glorified xfer point; save for the hospital (which a bus stop already exists for, which doesn't get much usage - all things considered), there really isn't shit around there....

Getting rid of the n22a to have more buses (n22's) run b/w MIC (Mineola Intermodal) & Jamaica???

They may as well have gotten rid of the n22a (leaving n22 service alone) & kept the n79.....

There's going to be more trips out of Mineola leaving with little to no one (thanks to this), instead of the same situation from RFM (w/ the current 22a)...  Another way of putting this is, your chances of catching lightning in a bottle (a relatively, or literal, packed bus) are much greater from RFM than from MIC.....

MIC is a glorified xfer point; save for the hospital (which a bus stop already exists for, which doesn't get much usage - all things considered), there really isn't shit around there....

Don't worry these short turns will be gone by next schedule change after April. But these short turns may help coming from 165th PM Rush

It looks like they didn't coordinate/re-time schedules for shared routes

So the 47 is being eliminated and the 48/49 remains, but they should have adjusted the 48/49 to account for the loss of the 47. I guess that would be too much to ask. I'm not saying increase, but they need to do a whole new schedule to account for that loss. 

Example being. The first 47 to Hempstead is at Front St Merrick at 542, the next 47 comes at 612. The first 48-49 run comes to  Hempstead comes stops at Front/Merrick at 621. So riders on the 47/48/49 lose their first two AM buses. 

Edited by james1498