NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

The County Legislator in charge of that district wouldn't allow the n1 to just be a Green Acres-Elmont route because there's no alternative to the n1 south of the mall.  It exists for the purpose of covering the areas not served by either the n31/32, and I'm assuming the few bus riders in Hewlett are trying to travel to points North of the mall with the n1.

Yeah, but the question is if there are as many riders using the n1 south of Green Acres compared to north of Green Acres. If there isn't, then by how much is the discrepancy (not only total ridership, but also accounting loads per bus north and south of Green Acres). Serving as many people as possible should be the goal, but if this service is there just to benefit a few people, then there is a problem, because the other riders now have to wait longer waits, compared to if the route ran from Elmont to Green Acres, therefore deterring ridership from the heavily utilized segments of the route. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but the question is if there are as many riders using the n1 south of Green Acres compared to north of Green Acres. If there isn't, then by how much is the discrepancy (not only total ridership, but also accounting loads per bus north and south of Green Acres). Serving as many people as possible should be the goal, but if this service is there just to benefit a few people, then there is a problem, because the other riders now have to wait longer waits, compared to if the route ran from Elmont to Green Acres, therefore deterring ridership from the heavily utilized segments of the route. 

The n1 runs too close to the Nassau/Queens border to be an effective inter-Nassau route 7 days a week. Based off my experience with riding the n1 on Sundays, it usually gets slightly more people between Elmont and Green Acres, but not by much. Most of those riders in Elmont are usually coming from the n6, with a few who live South of the Cemetery and off Central Avenue. I'm not sure how many people South of the Mall take the n1 because I've never had a need to get to Hewlett from Green Acres. Ridership on that route always seem so low compared to the large amounts of people waiting for the Q5 or Q85 by Macys. The main issue is that Hewlett Bound n1 buses tend to leave right on schedule, even if the Jamaica bound n6 arrives at Hempstead Turnpike/Elmont Road and the light gives the passengers time to cross the street to catch the bus.

The n1 runs too close to the Nassau/Queens border to be an effective inter-Nassau route 7 days a week. Based off my experience with riding the n1 on Sundays, it usually gets slightly more people between Elmont and Green Acres, but not by much. Most of those riders in Elmont are usually coming from the n6, with a few who live South of the Cemetery and off Central Avenue. I'm not sure how many people South of the Mall take the n1 because I've never had a need to get to Hewlett from Green Acres. Ridership on that route always seem so low compared to the large amounts of people waiting for the Q5 or Q85 by Macys. The main issue is that Hewlett Bound n1 buses tend to leave right on schedule, even if the Jamaica bound n6 arrives at Hempstead Turnpike/Elmont Road and the light gives the passengers time to cross the street to catch the bus.

To be fair, the Q5 and Q85 serve more dense areas, Rochdale Village, Jamaica, and the Subway.

Edited by N6 Limited

NICE now has an excess of ARBOC's. They ordered 8, the previous schedule needed 7, now they only need 2. Where should they go? They already have the vans for paratransit, and most of the fixed route services are too busy to use them on. Perhaps the n57 and any restoration of weekend n79 service, but that's about it. I don't see them restoring things like the HWCS, n45, or n51 anytime soon with more impactful cuts out there.

NICE now has an excess of ARBOC's. They ordered 8, the previous schedule needed 7, now they only need 2. Where should they go? They already have the vans for paratransit, and most of the fixed route services are too busy to use them on. Perhaps the n57 and any restoration of weekend n79 service, but that's about it. I don't see them restoring things like the HWCS, n45, or n51 anytime soon with more impactful cuts out there.

The n80/ Sunrise Mall Shuttle needs ARBOCs too. That, along with the Mercy Shuttle and Elmont Flexi adds up to three. There will be five extras.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I saw Mercy Medical Center Shuttle while waiting for n6X Jamaica at 3:01pm.  Usual dispatchers and all securities at HTC let me take picture because I'm with you-know-what. 11:30am n6X Hempstead driver from Jamaica was very nice. Last night at Roosevelt Field Mall, one of dispatcher told me to take picture of new bus and properly new dispatcher at HTC told me I was trouble for taking picture of new bus.

In Sun Afternoon, I walk entire n27 route from Sea Cliff to Glen Cove to check to see anyone was waiting, and went back same way at Glen St to find out 4 beauituful sexy ladies were waiting n27 bus that never comes on weekend for 90 minutes because they  weren't aware of changes including no Sunday service on n21 Bus. They were devastated.

In Evening, when I stop by at Hicksville on Sun, lots of people were not aware n79 bus was rush hour only.

Edited by FamousNYLover

The n22A elimination wasn't advertised anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone didn't know and end up waiting for their normal bus tomorrow morning.

I know! That bus runs right next to my house. Or I guess, did run next to my house. The only reason I knew about the changes was a thin black line through the n22A in the PDF schedule online. Rediculous. And NICE has yet to change the signs. I decided to help out a guy waiting for an n27 on Sunday, which wasn't going to come because there is no more weekend service. Dropped him off by the n24. He had no idea. NICE needs to fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I saw Mercy Medical Center Shuttle while waiting for n6X Jamaica at 3:01pm. Usual dispatchers and all securities at HTC let me take picture because I'm with you-know-what. 11:30am n6X Hempstead driver from Jamaica was very nice. Last night at Roosevelt Field Mall, one of dispatcher told me to take picture of new bus and properly new dispatcher at HTC told me I was trouble for taking picture of new bus.

In Sun Afternoon, I walk entire n27 route from Sea Cliff to Glen Cove to check to see anyone was waiting, and went back same way at Glen St to find out 4 beauituful sexy ladies were waiting n27 bus that never comes on weekend for 90 minutes because they weren't aware of changes including no Sunday service on n21 Bus. They were devastated.

In Evening, when I stop by at Hicksville on Sun, lots of people were not aware n79 bus was rush hour only.

Yup. I helped out a guy waiting for a non-existant n27.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Now that the articulated buses are doing a good job of crowd control on the n6, what will become of the n1? I can't really see it functioning as an inter-Nassau route by just terminating at Elmont Road/Hempstead Tpke

Keep in mind it's a holiday week and NCC is closed, so ridership is down. That said, I can easily see the n1 being cut back to Elmont if NICE buys some more artics - perhaps enough to cover 2/3 of the n6?

The overlap between n1 and n6 in Nassau County is less than 10 stops.

Edited by Amtrak7

Keep in mind it's a holiday week and NCC is closed, so ridership is down. That said, I can easily see the n1 being cut back to Elmont if NICE buys some more artics - perhaps enough to cover 2/3 of the n6?

The overlap between n1 and n6 in Nassau County is less than 10 stops.

Those 7-8 stops are probably the most used N6 stops in Nassau (besides the Hempstead Bus Terminal). I even overheard a B/O say that his westbound runs are fine until he hits Elmont Road, then he's slammed to the county line (flagging happens at Sterling Rd, Locustwood Blvd and Wellington Rd).

Even for Eastbound trips the buses can be PACKED (and flagging) from Queens, but after Elmont Road there's breathing room. I've seen FULL buses drop up to 50% of riders by the time it passes Elmont Rd.

They can try to cut the N1 rush hour trips, but they better make sure it makes connections with the Artics and not have people waiting at Elmont Road for 20 mins because of late N6 buses when they could have been at the Subway.

Actually, now that I think about it the N1 sometimes picks up passengers along Hempstead Turnpike that N6's flag, or sometimes there is a gap in service for whatever reason and the N1 picks up the slack. Otherwise, as each min goes by and more and more people are are arriving, the N6 drivers look at the stop, and make this face:  <_< and keep it moving to Queens. I've seen 10 people waiting at Locustwood Blvd alone. This is also why it was such a disaster when they removed Locuswood Blvd from the N6 Limited

• 2 weeks later...

A new schedule for the n80 takes effect on April 24th.

http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

Make sense. There is no way a van (let alone a bus) is getting from Hicskville to Sunrise Mall in 27 minutes. That will constantly delay the line. 

BTW, what's being used on the n80/Sunrise Mall Shuttle? With everyone referring to the route as the n80 (and even NICE), it makes me believe that regular buses being used. However, I know that the route is a community shuttle now (which should use a van). Also, what's the official name (on bus stop signs and destination signs)?

Here is n6 Articulated Schedule at 165th St Bus Terminal.

Weekdays

18076461_10210478228724984_5869858679172

Saturdays

18121782_10210478222284823_2984069373338

Make sense. There is no way a van (let alone a bus) is getting from Hicskville to Sunrise Mall in 27 minutes. That will constantly delay the line. 

BTW, what's being used on the n80/Sunrise Mall Shuttle? With everyone referring to the route as the n80 (and even NICE), it makes me believe that regular buses being used. However, I know that the route is a community shuttle now (which should use a van). Also, what's the official name (on bus stop signs and destination signs)?

I think when it was Sunrise Mall Shuttle, it was using small bus.

Is NICE Bus took away n80 code? Lots of Nassau County riders don't seem to see paper sign "n80"

After Sunrise Mall Shuttle rename to n80 on April 24th, it seems like regular bus.

18155873_10210478226044917_3936701178718

18192579_10210478223484853_7046548986764

Edited by FamousNYLover

According to NICE in their Facebook Page , the n88 will only run on weekends this summer due to a lack of funds. Ironically, the 1.5 million given to them by the State went towards saving the n57, n78/79, and n19, the 4 routes saved from being eliminated in April. Unfortunately for them, 3 or 4suburban bus riders commenting don't see the error of their short term thinking towards saving bus service on Nassau.

Edited by NY1635

I won't mind if it was the full n79, n19 but with the crap schedule we have now, I rather just have the n79 having full schedule rather than all three bus routes

The MTA could make some of those extra Babylon trains run local to compensate for the lack of n19 service.

The LIRR will lose a hefty chunk of money from those weekday Jones Beach tickets they sell.  The weekday buses are usually about 2/3 full, which is a good amount of people.  If the LIRR loses $19.50 roundtrip from Brooklyn/Manhattan/Queens people who say "screw it, I'll go to the Rockaways instead", that adds up to a lot for the LIRR.  Perhaps the LIRR should just pay to run the lousy buses between Freeport and Jones Beach.  Better than losing $19.50 from each customer who decides not to make the trip at all (rather than face severely overcrowded Jones Beach buses on weekends that pass up customers).