NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

1 minute ago, NY1635 said:

Of all the service cuts and route eliminations, a lot of riders protested the elimination of the n19, n72 to Babylon, and n45, and n78/79 the most. The riders who attended the meeting argued that they couldn't afford to take the cab because it would cost them $50-$100 a week just to get from Hicksville to Plainview using All Island, or there's no alternative to the eliminated route in their area. There's also a huge amount of seniors living on the North and South Shore who rely on the NICE bus to get to their destinations.

But what I'm saying is that not all n78/79 riders knew about the change. Out of those that did, yes a lot of people did go to complain (and rightfully so since it was/is a relatively busy route with no alternatives), but there were still a decent amount of people who didn't realize service was being cut. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

But what I'm saying is that not all n78/79 riders knew about the change. Out of those that did, yes a lot of people did go to complain (and rightfully so since it was/is a relatively busy route with no alternatives), but there were still a decent amount of people who didn't realize service was being cut. 

Those people didn't realize it was being cut because the n78/79 got saved a few days before the route eliminations were set to take place. I don't know how to explain this further aside from 1.3 million in aid given to NICE by the state being used for restoring service on the n1 weekend service, n57, n78/79. It's similar to how the n88 last year was originally going to be weekend only due to budget cuts, but the state provided 2 million dollars for NICE to run weekday service because a lot of beachgoers and workers at Jones Beach need it.  Nobody knew why Mangano couldn't fund the bus system until it was revealed he got caught doing something illegal.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:40 PM, NY1635 said:

The n78/79 was saved from the service cut at the last minute by the people who rode it. The 78/79 riders who attended the meeting last year said they needed it to get to work at the Hospital somewhere along the 79, and were okay with it being reduced to rush hours.

I when there on Sunday, April 9th and no one was reading sign at bus shelter at all.

On 3/20/2018 at 10:05 PM, NY1635 said:

Those people didn't realize it was being cut because the n78/79 got saved a few days before the route eliminations were set to take place. I don't know how to explain this further aside from 1.3 million in aid given to NICE by the state being used for restoring service on the n1 weekend service, n57, n78/79. It's similar to how the n88 last year was originally going to be weekend only due to budget cuts, but the state provided 2 million dollars for NICE to run weekday service because a lot of beachgoers and workers at Jones Beach need it.  Nobody knew why Mangano couldn't fund the bus system until it was revealed he got caught doing something illegal.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:50 PM, NY1635 said:

Of all the service cuts and route eliminations, a lot of riders protested the elimination of the n19, n72 to Babylon, and n45, and n78/79 the most. The riders who attended the meeting argued that they couldn't afford to take the cab because it would cost them $50-$100 a week just to get from Hicksville to Plainview using All Island, or there's no alternative to the eliminated route in their area. There's also a huge amount of seniors living on the North and South Shore who rely on the NICE bus to get to their destinations.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:54 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

On 3/20/2018 at 10:05 PM, NY1635 said:

Also they protested n19 and weekend n27 bus. n27 bus on weekend was huge mistake, well as n36 bus.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:15 AM, FamousNYLover said:

Also they protested n19 and weekend n27 bus. n27 bus on weekend was huge mistake, well as n36 bus.

I don't see a case for the n19 ever getting more service unless it gets extended over to Amityville. With Sunrise Mall on the decline, the only thing the route has going for it is Merrick Road between Unqua and Freeport LIRR. The one thing keeping the n71 afloat is it's sudden increase in ridership ever since the n72 got reduced to a n70 short turn at Conklin and Route 110. 

I can definitely see the n27's weekend service getting restored to cover for the n16 along Westbury Blvd between Jackson and Oak Streets and provide service to/from the North Shore. Nowadays the n35 is seeing the most usage at HTC on weekends when the 16 and n27 aren't available.

3 minutes ago, FamousNYLover said:

Maybe n36 bus could become Freeport-Lynbrook Community Shuttle because south shore elected officials in East Rockaway want n36 bus back.

The one thing that might make the n36 come back is the new Regal Cinemas opening over at 5-Corners in Lynbrook. I'm pretty sure one of the smaller cab companies serving the area went out of business because it couldn't compete with Uber, and it's hard to persuade All-Island to leave the LIRR station for a person who needs to be picked up elsewhere. 

• 2 months later...

NICE's Summer Schedule will take in effect on June 24th. The biggest service change to occur is the n40 getting 24 hr bus service between Hempstead and Freeport starting this Sunday. I have no idea why older schedules are being posted for the other 9 routes. 

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Customer-Advisory-Committee.aspx

Edited by NY1635

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

NICE's Summer Schedule will take in effect on June 24th. The biggest service change to occur is the n40 getting 24 hr bus service between Hempstead and Freeport starting this Sunday. I have no idea why older schedules are being posted for the other 9 routes. 

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Customer-Advisory-Committee.aspx

The overnight service is also every 30 minutes. Perhaps they'll be n6 interlines.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the n26 used to have so few trips up until recently, I'm legitimately surprised they expanded it into a bi-directional rush hour route rather than eliminating it. Now I'm just wondering if they really did make schedule changes to the other routes, but only mistakenly forgot to update the schedule pdfs...

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 1:27 PM, Axis said:

Considering the n26 used to have so few trips up until recently, I'm legitimately surprised they expanded it into a bi-directional rush hour route rather than eliminating it. Now I'm just wondering if they really did make schedule changes to the other routes, but only mistakenly forgot to update the schedule pdfs...

The 26 is actually proposed for full-time service under the Vision plan.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Fall 2019 Schedule Changes are out: https://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Summer-2018-Schedule-Changes

Things that come to mind:

n16 - I’m honestly curious to see how this n16J pilot goes. I really hope that against all odds, it gets expanded to a full-blown express route (maybe with added stops in Mineola & Roosevelt Field).

n20 - They really overhauled the schedule with this one (mainly the n20H). Slight reduction in service, but now everything is much more sensibly spaced out than ever before (the former 40 minute gap in weekday evening PM rush shoulder service out of Great Neck was such an eyesore to even glance at). Plus weekday nights & Saturdays are seeing service end later with a new late night trip added out of Flushing to Great Neck. Also, weekend n20H service has this funny looking 65-minute frequency going for it now. Welp, at least it helps the last few of Sunday trips out of Hicksville leave equally apart & later (presumably so people can stay out a little longer).

n31/32 - Seeing what trips at what times are designated as n31 or n32 have been incredibly inconsistent during the weekday evening shoulder when Queens-bound service becomes too infrequent too early. Can’t wait to leave work just to be rejected from the last bus for the next hour again, and have to lead 10+ people to Mott/Rockaway to get a Q114 instead.

n35 - I do specifically recall that last weekday evening departure out of Westbury being truncated to Roosevelt Field. Apparently it got extended back to Hempstead Transit Center. Odd...

On 8/30/2019 at 2:32 PM, Axis said:

If there were any other big changes, I probably haven’t noticed them yet (mostly because they don’t specify everything that’s actually changed, the way Bee-Line does).

All NICE did was increase service and updated the timetables to accurately reflect travel times. City Routes now take longer to get to their destination because of the traffic at Downtown Flushing, and Jamaica during the day. There's also a huge amount of college students who rely on NICE to get to Nassau Community College, SUNY Farmingdale, NYIT, CW Post, and SUNY Old Westbury. A good chunk of Nassau Routes tend to get stuck in traffic during the fall season because of congestion due to parents doing pickups/drop offs at schools. 

18 hours ago, NY1635 said:

All NICE did was increase service and updated the timetables to accurately reflect travel times. 

NICE Bus schedules are notoriously tight. I had an n49 driver literally floor it. He left Hicksville on time, and STILL arrived at Hempstead 5 min late, (or just on time for his next run I think on the n72.

20 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

NICE Bus schedules are notoriously tight. I had an n49 driver literally floor it. He left Hicksville on time, and STILL arrived at Hempstead 5 min late, (or just on time for his next run I think on the n72.

I remember I was on a n6 on a Sunday, back when it was LIB. The driver was floring and basically we got to Hempstead on time.

On 9/3/2019 at 5:33 AM, NY1635 said:

All NICE did was increase service and updated the timetables to accurately reflect travel times. City Routes now take longer to get to their destination because of the traffic at Downtown Flushing, and Jamaica during the day. There's also a huge amount of college students who rely on NICE to get to Nassau Community College, SUNY Farmingdale, NYIT, CW Post, and SUNY Old Westbury. A good chunk of Nassau Routes tend to get stuck in traffic during the fall season because of congestion due to parents doing pickups/drop offs at schools. 

Also, routes like Hempstead Turnpike is being "traffic calmed", where you had Solid greens for quite a distance, you now have out of sync signals. 

4 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Apparently the flexi gets 2k, 78/79 gets 1,200 k

They should really just either bring back the (old, pre-loop) n2 with a few adjustments, or expand the Flexi to middays and Saturdays. It's absurd how the bus pulls in those numbers while running only minibuses and during the peak period.