NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

Are N4 and N4x buses usually on time during the week?  On Sunday afternoons, they regularly leave the Parsons/Archer and Freeport terminals 10 to 15 minutes late, and then two buses arive at the final destination at the same time.  I wish the N4x would run on weekends for people who want to save almost $20 round-trip on LIRR fares. That's a lot of money to save!!!

The LIRR is NOT $20 round trip to lynbrook try again. N4x on weekends = only to improve on-time performance. LIRR is $8 to Penn station and $5.25 to Jamaica one way not even close to as high as you make it out to be.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering how much people would be willing to spend each way IF nice used coach buses on the n6x and n4x (maybe with wifi and outlets)?  

Given that they still need to transfer to the (F) and that travel time isn't reduced by using coach buses (which have a lower capacity), not that much more.

The LIRR is NOT $20 round trip to lynbrook try again. N4x on weekends = only to improve on-time performance. LIRR is $8 to Penn station and $5.25 to Jamaica one way not even close to as high as you make it out to be.

$8 + $8 = $16 which is almost $20

I'd pay $5 for a nice coach seat (instead of sitting on a hard seat for an hour), wifi, and outlets....  Assuming someone still had to transfer to the (A)(C)(E)(J) or (F) it's still a better value than the LIRR considering the transfer to the subway is free.  

A seat on the N6? HAHA.  :P

Cindy (Not Full Name) the B/O came to our LIBRU meeting last night and she told us n6x extention is not working at all.

Even her B/Os friends and dispatcher told Veolia n6x extention wouldn't work at all. She told us n6x is now always late more than before.

Maybe they should have send n22A or n24 East Meadow bus to NCC Campus instead.

Well I think it's working excellently. The n6x has taken the overcrowding situation away from the n16,n35, and n43. It provides a direct route to Jamaica and at the same time many transfer opportunities to other routes at HTC. The route has just begun, so expect lateness until the kinks can be worked out. I'm sure NCC students are thrilled with the n6x, but it seems anything NICE does you pick on. My only criticism is the failure to restore the n27 on weekends, I still see empty n27's from Roslyn which mean missed connections. Ridership on weekends has been decimated on that route, most people with standards won't put up with it and use the LIRR now or just dont travel at all on weekends, so you're only left with those who dont care. Since Glen Cove is almost the "Hempstead" of the north shore with alot of bus dependent riders, it needs 2 full time routes. Your LIBRU should focus on that one goal, getting the n27 restored to HTC full time and putting the n23 back to Mineola, instead of picking on every little change NICE makes. 

Well I think it's working excellently. The n6x has taken the overcrowding situation away from the n16,n35, and n43. It provides a direct route to Jamaica and at the same time many transfer opportunities to other routes at HTC. The route has just begun, so expect lateness until the kinks can be worked out. I'm sure NCC students are thrilled with the n6x, but it seems anything NICE does you pick on. My only criticism is the failure to restore the n27 on weekends, I still see empty n27's from Roslyn which mean missed connections. Ridership on weekends has been decimated on that route, most people with standards won't put up with it and use the LIRR now or just dont travel at all on weekends, so you're only left with those who dont care. Since Glen Cove is almost the "Hempstead" of the north shore with alot of bus dependent riders, it needs 2 full time routes. Your LIBRU should focus on that one goal, getting the n27 restored to HTC full time and putting the n23 back to Mineola, instead of picking on every little change NICE makes. 

I am.

I'm planning to send email to every business along n27 route.

Last Friday, I past by Westbury and there was one passenger on westbound Maple Av/Post Av told me driver was 20 minutes late on n22 Jamaica. It was about evening.

By the way, do you think Car Free Day LI will workout well? I think most motorists will properly car pool on their cars or taxis than riding public transit?

I am.

I'm planning to send email to every business along n27 route.

Wouldn't it be easier (maybe not cheaper) to send a direct mailing to every business than trying to find the email address for every business along the n27 route?  lol  That is going to take a lot of time to find all of those emails, with a direct mailing you can just go to any company that does that and say "send it to every address (whether you want commercial, residential, or both) on this road, this road, and that road."

And why does it seem like you are always doing all the grunt work for the LIBRU?  What do the other members do, besides show up to bitch and tell you to do something?  lol

Wouldn't it be easier (maybe not cheaper) to send a direct mailing to every business than trying to find the email address for every business along the n27 route?  lol  That is going to take a lot of time to find all of those emails, with a direct mailing you can just go to any company that does that and say "send it to every address (whether you want commercial, residential, or both) on this road, this road, and that road."

And why does it seem like you are always doing all the grunt work for the LIBRU?  What do the other members do, besides show up to bitch and tell you to do something?  lol

We look for wheelchair violation, announcement violation, or other violations.

Little off-topic, but I heard from Fox5 Shame that party shuttle bus that charters for special event has broken violation that bus company is required to sent replacement bus. I think NICE Bus is breaking law as well for not replacing bus.

Little off-topic, but I heard from Fox5 Shame that party shuttle bus that charters for special event has broken violation that bus company is required to sent replacement bus. I think NICE Bus is breaking law as well for not replacing bus.

No, I haven't seen the news story you are speaking of but assume you are talking about a private bus operator "renting" a party bus to an a private party and then not producing/(showing up)  with the bus or a replacement bus.  The bus company broke their contract with their customer by not providing the service or defrauded the customer by taking their money with no intention of producing the service later.

You do bring up an interesting topic that Veolia may be violating their contract with the County by not producing the service the County is paying for.  However, I think I remember seeing a part of the contract talking about this topic and how Veolia couldn't be held liable for buses not showing up (I'm not reading the contract again though, and the PDF they offer is unsearchable).  Veolia has very smart lawyers so i don't think they are going to enter into a situation where they could face legal action or violate the contract because of buses not showing up.

This is a contract between Veolia and the County so the only ones who could really bring up a contract is violated is the two parties that entered into it.  Veolia or the County, not a third party like the LIBRU (in case you or your buddies get any ideas lol) or the bus riders relying on the service.  Both parties would have to go to court or a judge or jury would have to determine if the contract was violated and who violated it.  if the County said Veolia violated the contract they could say they did the best with the equipment they got which is owned by the county, how could be Veolia be accused of providing bad service because the county gave Veolia equipment in poor shape that frequently broke down and didn't give Veolia enough money to properly fix the equipment?  Or Veolia could say they can't be held responsible for something that is standard in the industry, even when Nassau under the (MTA) contract. 

It would be interesting though...

I'd pay $5 for a nice coach seat (instead of sitting on a hard seat for an hour), wifi, and outlets....  Assuming someone still had to transfer to the (A)(C)(E)(J) or (F) it's still a better value than the LIRR considering the transfer to the subway is free.  

What coach?

IF NICE had coach buses for the express bus routes he means.

Yep.

I was curious how much people would pay if nice used commuter coaches on the n4x and n6x.

I was wondering how much people would be willing to spend each way IF nice used coach buses on the n6x and n4x (maybe with wifi and outlets)?  

Yep.

I was curious how much people would pay if nice used commuter coaches on the n4x and n6x.

If it's closer to LIRR that is one way to utterly decimate ridership and only send more people to the LIRR. Definitely not more than $2.50. If they charged express bus fare that is one way to make those coaches empty.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

They don't even need to have coaches per se. Even if they'd have some buses running with better seats and stuff for a slightly higher price that would already help. They could start that out on some highly used long routes. Sitting with your ass on an almost plastic chair isn't so fun if the ride is long (I've experienced that in some places here that have buses with almost plastic chairs).

Edited by Vistausss

Why does NICE need popular requests to keep making these little stop changes constantly? Just use your mind and create a good LIMITED route. They could clearly just use the n6 LIMITED as an example, but no, they have to keep screwing with us...

NICE announced it on their Facebook page.

Exactly, why do they try to keep western Nassau out of the express routes? N6 Limited had its stops for a reason. LOL I still cant believe they thought bypassing Elmont (and Springfield Blvd) was a good idea. Springfield regularly has about 10 people waiting!

I mean, do they REALLY study ridership patterns or what?

Why does NICE need popular requests to keep making these little stop changes constantly? Just use your mind and create a good LIMITED route. They could clearly just use the n6 LIMITED as an example, but no, they have to keep screwing with us...

Failure is not easy for such a large organization to admit, so they just make "improvements" than to admit the idea failed.

I like how they "added" additional service to the n6 but reduced evening service from Jamaica to 15 min headways after 19:30 and 20 min headways after 21:00, can we say sardine can?

Failure is not easy for such a large organization to admit, so they just make "improvements" than to admit the idea failed.

The n6 Limited connected to all intersecting routes, NICE was trying to lure more choice riders by having a faster service at the expense of existing riders.

I was surprised it wasn't even a stop in the first place, Central Avenue has always been a major stop for n4 riders.

@Joel: I'm surprised on the fact they started to complain afterwards while NICE clearly asked before the new schedule for input on the n4x. If n4 riders wanted Central Ave so badly, they could've told NICE at that meeting. They aren't organizing a meeting to ask for input on a new route for nothing, you know.

Edited by Vistausss

Because if they REALLY listened, then that stop as well as many other major stops would have been a part of the n4 Express or the n6 Express from the start.

I also spoke at last TAC meeting and told them lots of passengers want n4x to Central Av stop because it's major transfer point to/from n1 bus.