NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

The n6 will amaze you, the bus can be crush loaded at 11pm coming from Jamaica. The bus is SRO at 4:30 in the morning! If the bus was crush loaded at 1:30am going to Jamaica, maybe the previous bus was missing or something.

I'm not sure what their definition of "crush loaded" is though. Certain users have shown us videos of "crush loaded" buses with 3 standees.  The N6 can get literally crush loaded, 15+ standees. 

My definition of crush loaded is "beyond SRO". Or in other words: "when even standing becomes a problem because of a lack of space; getting sandwiched". SRO is what I call a bus with all seats taken (and optionally some standees as well).

Regardless of what definition of "crush loaded" they're using, I wouldn't expect even a few standees in the wee hours of the morning (1a-4a).

NYCT runs 2 buses per hour during the overnights for quite a few routes, do they become SRO under normal conditions? (no bunching or special events)

2010 data shows the n6 with 14.25k daily riders. That is equivalent to the Bx11 today, which is #52 of 177 in NYCT.

Exactly, thank you.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me "Crush loaded" means there is no additional room for people to board, so the bus driver starts to skip stops.  The LIRR charges outrageous fares and many many many people cannot afford them, so they are forced to wait for a crush-loaded bus that accepts their free transfer from the subway.

From looking at the route map, the n22x is basically a limited to the n22. It stops at all of the major stops and transfers points like a limited route should. Having the n22L skip Mineola and Roosevelt Field was not a smart choice. I understand that it saves time, but people rely on those transfers, especially at Roosevelt Field.

Edited by MTA Bus

To me "Crush loaded" means there is no additional room for people to board, so the bus driver starts to skip stops.  The LIRR charges outrageous fares and many many many people cannot afford them, so they are forced to wait for a crush-loaded bus that accepts their free transfer from the subway.

You got that right, and lets not forget the LIRR makes seniors & disabled pay peak fare in westbound AM PEAK trains. It's really quite out of control. The LIRR is not living up to it's end of the bargain by taking traffic off our roads, thats for sure. And Elmont & Franklin Square aren't even that near to the LIRR anyway. The n6 needs more buses at these times, or NICE needs to invest in articulated buses to handle the crowds. I know this isnt the LIRR section but LIRR really needs to do away with peak fares completely. It would help balance out the loads and take more cars off the road. Sometimes I think they use the Hampton Jitney philosophy to charge high fares to keep poorer people off the service, it amounts to discrimination in the end.

Not too get too off-topic but I don't know even one railroad company in the Western hemisphere that doesn't charge peak fares. Not that that makes LIRR look good but hey, it's quite common overall to charge peak fares.

Btw: NICE is getting new buses, not only to replace the old fleet but also to expand a little bit on it so that may lead to extra runs in the future.

Yeah, my optimism has wore off a bit now that they still haven t posted them...

Unless they're making some last minute changes, though thats doubtful. Maybe they know the n22 changes are gonna piss alot of ppl off and they are. I was really starting to like NICE more and then they blow it again by making some boneheaded move like putting only 2 buses an hour on the n22 from Hicksville in the AM RUSH.

Yes the n22x is much slower because of Mineola Term, gets slowed down by Old Country Road traffic and that light at Herricks & Jericho. See I would have the n22x skip Mineola, run via the n22a west of RF and stop only at Willis/Hillside (transfer to n23), NHP/Hillside (transfer to n25), and City Line/Cherry Lane, then non-stop to 179st. 

Not too get too off-topic but I don't know even one railroad company in the Western hemisphere that doesn't charge peak fares. Not that that makes LIRR look good but hey, it's quite common overall to charge peak fares.

Btw: NICE is getting new buses, not only to replace the old fleet but also to expand a little bit on it so that may lead to extra runs in the future.

I know, I meant to say I dont know of any other railroads not honoring reduced fares for seniors/disabled on peak trains, I know NJT did away with that practice several years ago. I know the purpose of the peak fare, thats why they want to push the monthlies, but asking ppl in a limited income situation to pay it is assinine (and at the very least discrimination). My relative on a limited income (senior) has to pay it to see his doctors in one of medical centers in the city, he often has to be there in the morning because the treatments can take awhile.

Unless they're making some last minute changes, though thats doubtful. Maybe they know the n22 changes are gonna piss alot of ppl off and they are. I was really starting to like NICE more and then they blow it again by making some boneheaded move like putting only 2 buses an hour on the n22 from Hicksville in the AM RUSH.

Maybe they're trying to distribute people boarding in Hicksville to the N24?

Yes the n22x is much slower because of Mineola Term, gets slowed down by Old Country Road traffic and that light at Herricks & Jericho. See I would have the n22x skip Mineola, run via the n22a west of RF and stop only at Willis/Hillside (transfer to n23), NHP/Hillside (transfer to n25), and City Line/Cherry Lane, then non-stop to 179st. 

I know, I meant to say I dont know of any other railroads not honoring reduced fares for seniors/disabled on peak trains, I know NJT did away with that practice several years ago. I know the purpose of the peak fare, thats why they want to push the monthlies, but asking ppl in a limited income situation to pay it is assinine (and at the very least discrimination). My relative on a limited income (senior) has to pay it to see his doctors in one of medical centers in the city, he often has to be there in the morning because the treatments can take awhile.

Not sure how I feel about seniors not paying peak fares, but I do agree that disabled persons shouldn't have to pay peak fares.

Schedules posted on the NICE site. I'm not sure if that's all of them though, since they talk about n14 and n79 changes yet new timetables aren't available for those routes.

EDIT: Half hourly Saturday Hicksville n24 service at some times of day.

Edited by Amtrak7

Since the n6X has had some debates over time: I see on NICE's website that there's a stop change: California St will be dropped and Oak St is its replacement. Is that gonna be okay?

The n24 extended to Hicksville on weekends is a nice addition.

Edited by Vistausss

Since the n6X has had some debates over time: I see on NICE's website that there's a stop change: California St will be dropped and Oak St is its replacement. Is that gonna be okay?

The n24 extended to Hicksville on weekends is a nice addition.

They already made the n6x change a couple of months ago, now they're noting it on the schedule.

The N24 additional service to Hicksville is nice during the Sat "rush hours" for those that work along Old Country Road.