NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The N22L was not empty and after the changes that added stops to it, it didn't bypass most of the ridership. There was a fair amount of people on it, just not as much as the locals. If NICE rearranged the N22L and the N22x to have proper well-thought routings, things would be in balance. To answer your question, the cuts to the N22L will have an effect on ridership. It's either going to drop or the locals are going to be jam-packed with many being left behind.

From the one time I rode it, the n22L did well as a local on its traditional segments. The unique part of the route carried comparatively very few riders.

About the new schedule layout

The new cover page on the schedules looks great, and better (for the most part) than the current schedule. However, IMO, the bus should've still stayed colored in. The back page should've also been colored in. 

But the format and the design looks great, and even better that some of it is in spanish (for spanish speaking people).

Your welcome. Now you can stop with the sarcasm and the derogatory comments if you know what's good for you.

The N22L was not empty and after the changes that added stops to it, it didn't bypass most of the ridership. There was a fair amount of people on it, just not as much as the locals. If NICE rearranged the N22L and the N22x to have proper well-thought routings, things would be in balance. To answer your question, the cuts to the N22L will have an effect on ridership. It's either going to drop or the locals are going to be jam-packed with many being left behind.

And that's what I worry about. Many people complained the n22L skipped RF and I understand why it needed to be discontinued, but there should have been some n22 or n22x trips in it's place. I dont see it to the point of flagging but its definitely gonna be more crowded and some riders won't put up with it. As another poster said, they could take the n24, some have migrated over to it, but many still choose not to. They do seem to have more n22 trips in the early part of the afternoon when crowding was a problem. I'd just like to see the n22 run much more often since it's a route that does well for it's full length. As far as those 20L trips they seem to be light in the "traditional" peak direction, I see way too many empty n20L's passing thru Greenvale headed toward hicksville, like one every 15-20 mins, too much. More ridership goes reverse peak.

Your welcome. Now you can stop with the sarcasm and the derogatory comments if you know what's good for you.

But it's okay if *you* post the same sarcastic sentence? (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43845-on-board-survey/?do=findComment&comment=742222) Wow, talk about "derogatory"... <_<

From the one time I rode it, the n22L did well as a local on its traditional segments. The unique part of the route carried comparatively very few riders.

Exactly. I didn't ride it but I saw various videos of the n22L and it seem to do okay. It was no n6, but it did okay at what it was supposed to do.

They do seem to have more n22 trips in the early part of the afternoon when crowding was a problem

Yeah, that's one thing they actually improved upon :)

I got one of the new schedules this morning, they're using cheaper paper.

By that I assume you mean non-glossy paper. That would explain the duller appearance of the PDF, as bright colors on dull paper are a waste.

I think it's a good idea, especially if it's cheaper. Meanwhile in Pittsburgh the latest schedule change was printed on glossy paper and it seems that reprints of old schedules are also coming on glossy stuff (they used to use plain ol' paper like the LIRR)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just realized I posted in the wrong thread.(kinda)

There are a few schedule changes starting June 22:

http://nicebus.com/P...ce-Change.aspx�

The color is blue, and the PDF's are landscape.

The N87 & N88 are paired like the N78/N79 using combined headway, with the main section being between Freeport and Jones Beach. The headway is 30 mins, so each route runs hourly.

Routes involved:

n1 n70/71/72

n6 n87  Jones Beach Daily Schedule

n40/41

Starting June 22nd, the n87 stops at Hicksville, Newbridge Road, East Meadow, Wantagh, Freeport, Jones Beach Bathouses & Cental Mall, then returns to Freeport;

Oh man, I tried finding a n87 map but couldn't.  Is the bus going from Wantagh to Freeport, THEN to Jones Beach?  If that's the case I've never been on a n87 (or 88) and never will be.  Why not just send the bus on the WSP?  not enough pax?  Isn't that how the bus went last year? WSP?  Will the 87 still be going down to Merrick? There is still a bus stop sign on Merrick Rd. under the WSP bridge that intersects Merrick Rd., if that sign remains people will get confused!

Oh man, I tried finding a n87 map but couldn't.  Is the bus going from Wantagh to Freeport, THEN to Jones Beach?  If that's the case I've never been on a n87 (or 88) and never will be.  Why not just send the bus on the WSP?  not enough pax?  Isn't that how the bus went last year? WSP?  Will the 87 still be going down to Merrick? There is still a bus stop sign on Merrick Rd. under the WSP bridge that intersects Merrick Rd., if that sign remains people will get confused!

On their facebook page, n87 will use Sunrise Highway  (they answered  someone's question about n87.

Instead of sending an empty bus down the Wantagh Parkway, it'll go to Freeport and pick up more passengers. Sound's like a fair compromise.

Wait until all the nimby teenagers from Levittown & East Meadow that ride the N87 find out that they have to go by way of Freeport to pickup & mix with some of the low-lifes coming off the train from the city. They won't be riding that bus anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

The new NICE schedules are made of recycled paper I think as well.

Nope. Ridership has not increased on the route north of Freeport and many don't even want to take it because it goes to Freeport. The N87 is better off going bye-bye and the 73/74 being extended to Jones Beach. Save money (less buses on the road), and merge ridership between the two routes. I've suggested that to NICE for months.

It may seem like a 73/74 extension to JB is a good idea, but isn't. With the unpredictable traffic on the parkway & the drawbridge opening, in addition to various concerts & other events at JB, the potential delays would screw up the reliability of the rest of the route north of Wantagh.

You're talking about delays and traffic that occur anywhere during rush hour. The whole bus system, both here and in the city, gets delayed because of traffic. I don't see the 73/74 screwing up the reliability of the rest of the route north of Wantagh because the schedules would be changed to accommodate the time difference between midday service on the route and the service during rush hour when traffic increases. As long as the scheduling is done right, this idea can definitely work out.

Normal traffic delays during rush-hour are normal-sure. But like I said,to & from the beach is unpredictable at anytime esp. with the drawbridge opening & closing. Besides-I don't think N73/74 riders would like sitting on sandy seats-lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday from Jones Beach, there was a large crowd on the N87 early evening.  Once we got to Freeport, every single person got off the bus.  The bus driver was then driving an EMPTY bus all the way from Freeport to Hicksville.  This is total insanity.  Meanwhile, many passengers got off and were waiting and waiting and waiting (up to 50 minutes) for an N4 to Jamaica. 

Doesn't NICE get it - NOBODY WANTS TO GO TO HICKSVILLE FROM JONES BEACH!!!!!!  Does empty (N87) bus after empty bus after empty bus between Freeport and Hicksville make them understand?  If you made a bus from Jones Beach to Oyster Bay or Jones Beach to Farmingdale, nobody's going to ride that either.  People using mass transit are coming from Manhattan and Queens.  So they should send the N87 to Jamaica (via the N4 line to handle the severe overcrowding) instead of driving an empty bus to Hicksville.

Yesterday from Jones Beach, there was a large crowd on the N87 early evening.  Once we got to Freeport, every single person got off the bus.  The bus driver was then driving an EMPTY bus all the way from Freeport to Hicksville.  This is total insanity.  Meanwhile, many passengers got off and were waiting and waiting and waiting (up to 50 minutes) for an N4 to Jamaica. 

Doesn't NICE get it - NOBODY WANTS TO GO TO HICKSVILLE FROM JONES BEACH!!!!!!  Does empty (N87) bus after empty bus after empty bus between Freeport and Hicksville make them understand?  If you made a bus from Jones Beach to Oyster Bay or Jones Beach to Farmingdale, nobody's going to ride that either.  People using mass transit are coming from Manhattan and Queens.  So they should send the N87 to Jamaica (via the N4 line to handle the severe overcrowding) instead of driving an empty bus to Hicksville.

Sending em to jamaica is just as bad as reliability would tank how about NO. Reason why n87 fails is due to the fact most Suffolk county people are either going to the Hamptons or Robert Moses park. Or putting up with the meadowbrook that attitude is not helping increase ridership.to say all riders on NICE are from NYC and only cater to them is probably why buses are so hated in long island that and the attitudes people have ain't helping.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

This is why the N87 goes to Freeport instead of "bypassing" it. They can advertise both locations while mostly serving Freeport.

Sending em to jamaica is just as bad as reliability would tank how about NO. Reason why n87 fails is due to the fact most Suffolk county people are either going to the Hamptons or Robert Moses park. Or putting up with the meadowbrook that attitude is not helping increase ridership.to say all riders on NICE are from NYC and only cater to them is probably why buses are so hated in long island that and the attitudes people have ain't helping.

Suffolk County folks would probably use the Wantagh if they were going to Jones Beach.  

The n87 "fails" because most people from Nassau or Suffolk that's going to the beach are going to take some type of vehicle, either their's, their friends, or a family members'. Lots of people going to Jones Beach may not actually live on Long Island (including Brooklyn and Queens) because on hot days like today you'll see that there is traffic in the morning coming from Westchester/Bronx, etc andin the Evening the westbound traffic is jammed, as well as the Northbound Meadowbrook Parkway. Google Maps makes this easy to monitor. 

Also, NICE has made people loathe the bus service enough that they will only use the bus when absolutely necessary. 

This may be food for thought for them for them for next year, once the schedule goes into effect they can't change it (for many reasons) until the next schedule change...  I think NICE needs to do more surveys online and emailing people who have downloaded the mobileapp to find out where the passengers want to go.

The n87 "fails" because most people from Nassau or Suffolk that's going to the beach are going to take some type of vehicle, either their's, their friends, or a family members

The ridership the n87/n88 gets from Freeport dismisses that theory...  Maybe if you compare the total number of people at any given beach to percent that arrived there by bus, you might have an argument.  But nobody is going to get people to use a bus instead of their car,people are taking the bus to the beach because they don't have a car, friend, or family member they can ride with.  Enough people use the bus to get to the beach to explain it's existence.  The question is just what is right way of sending the buses?  NICE should have survey takers getting peoples zip codes before the enter a beach bound bus,,,  There's a reason they ask you this at the sales counter, ;) 

There was a bus from Jamaica to Jones Beach many years ago. It failed. No point in reviving it.

If I were to take the bus to the beach, I'd take the train to babylon and take the s47 to robert moses...  Forget about the crowd at Jones Beach or being crowded into the n87/n88!

The thought just popped into my head, why not experiment with NICE bus service to robert moses?  Either extend the n19 or n72 from babylon RR or have those lines interline with the new line, offer service during the s47's off time?  Could work...