NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

He's asking capacity-wise, can the n48/49 handle Front Street by themselves?

For the Nassau Hub area, after 1/17/16, we're going to have the following routes at the following hubs:

RFM: n15, n16, n22/22A/22X, n24, n27, n35, n43, n45

NCC: n6X, n16, n35, n43, n45

NCDSS (60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd): n16, n27, n43, n45, n24 (select rush hour trips)

Mineola: n22, n23, n24, n40/41

I think the n27 could be cut back from Hempstead to the RFM (except during hours when it's needed for capacity reasons. i.e. NCC dismissal times when the n16 & n35 get crowded). Those n24 trips to RxR Plaza can be cut back to the RFM. 

Not really sure what else can really be done. Maybe some restructuring of the n6X, n16, and n35 out of NCC. There should definitely be something directly connecting NCC to both the RFM and Hempstead, for connections to the other routes over there. (Which in this case, both the n16 & n35 serve both purposes). I don't think having more n35s bypass NCC and leaving the n16 & n6X covering it would offer enough capacity to accommodate NCC students, though.

The n48/49 can most definitely handle Front St. Just eliminate the n47 and add more service onto the morning and evening trips of the n48/49. I don't know what to do with the n35, except restore midday service to Westbury, or extend midday trips from HTC to Roosevelt Field. There's lots of people who use the n35 Westbury trips to get to the mall or the college.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what to do with the n35, except restore midday service to Westbury, or extend midday trips from HTC to Roosevelt Field. There's lots of people who use the n35 Westbury trips to get to the mall or the college.

I think there is a lul in riders that are going to NCC midday. They can use the N16 from Hempstead and the n16 or n43 from the Mall at those times for NCC. If they want the Mall from Hempstead, the n15 follows the n35 route during those times.

He's asking capacity-wise, can the n48/49 handle Front Street by themselves?

For the Nassau Hub area, after 1/17/16, we're going to have the following routes at the following hubs:

RFM: n15, n16, n22/22A/22X, n24, n27, n35, n43, n45

NCC: n6X, n16, n35, n43, n45

NCDSS (60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd): n16, n27, n43, n45, n24 (select rush hour trips)

Mineola: n22, n23, n24, n40/41

I think the n27 could be cut back from Hempstead to the RFM (except during hours when it's needed for capacity reasons. i.e. NCC dismissal times when the n16 & n35 get crowded). Those n24 trips to RxR Plaza can be cut back to the RFM. 

Not really sure what else can really be done. Maybe some restructuring of the n6X, n16, and n35 out of NCC. There should definitely be something directly connecting NCC to both the RFM and Hempstead, for connections to the other routes over there. (Which in this case, both the n16 & n35 serve both purposes). I don't think having more n35s bypass NCC and leaving the n16 & n6X covering it would offer enough capacity to accommodate NCC students, though.

The 43 & 45 do not service 60 Chas. Lindbergh.

If NICE has any brains at all left and they still need more money later this year (which will likely happen), they shouldn't remove the express/limited runs of the major Nassau-Queens routes that get them a good chunk of overall ridership. Then again, NICE is somewhat dumb. The January 17th set of cuts were done to close a $7.5 million deficit. Should the person who runs NICE's social media including their Facebook page (who deletes a lot of comments made on the page and censors a lot of public complaints; could be Latoya Pippins but I don't know) be correct and there is a $3 million dollar deficit, these should cover it. The next routes that I see most likely up for elimination (smart elimination) that I see happening are the n45 (There goes PinePowerLI's fun trips to Bellmore), the possible elimination of the n88 because they can't seem to get the damn scheduling right or run concert service correctly, elimination of the n57 (I can't tell you how many times I've been at that bus stop in Great Neck and people opt for a cab instead of the bus), and possibly more reductions on the n19. You gotta remember ridership is down systemwide. I don't see the n21 being eliminated or touched, one of the many misconceptions NICE believes in.

If NICE has any brains at all left and they still need more money later this year (which will likely happen), they shouldn't remove the express/limited runs of the major Nassau-Queens routes that get them a good chunk of overall ridership. Then again, NICE is somewhat dumb. The January 17th set of cuts were done to close a $7.5 million deficit. Should the person who runs NICE's social media including their Facebook page (who deletes a lot of comments made on the page and censors a lot of public complaints; could be Latoya Pippins but I don't know) be correct and there is a $3 million dollar deficit, these should cover it. The next routes that I see most likely up for elimination (smart elimination) that I see happening are the n45 (There goes PinePowerLI's fun trips to Bellmore), the possible elimination of the n88 because they can't seem to get the damn scheduling right or run concert service correctly, elimination of the n57 (I can't tell you how many times I've been at that bus stop in Great Neck and people opt for a cab instead of the bus), and possibly more reductions on the n19. You gotta remember ridership is down systemwide. I don't see the n21 being eliminated or touched, one of the many misconceptions NICE believes in.

Remember that the actual decisions are made by a board appointed by Ed Mangano. If that board eventually wants to kill the N4X, then the N4X will go bye-bye.

Remember that the actual decisions are made by a board appointed by Ed Mangano. If that board eventually wants to kill the N4X, then the N4X will go bye-bye.

But don't limited/express buses actually save money? They have quicker runs and carry more people, so they can provide more service with less buses. This is why the MTA runs Limited service usually.

There are massive pockets of the county that rarely or refused to ride a bus even in the MSBA days.  I don't get why keeping service around when there aren't even enough riders to fill half a bus is such a hot topic.

Exactly. Even certain runs. If NICE (Or any other bus company) eliminates runs which are typically empty then what is the big deal?

There are massive pockets of the county that rarely or refused to ride a bus even in the MSBA days.  I don't get why keeping service around when there aren't even enough riders to fill half a bus is such a hot topic.

Because in some cases, those few riders are literally being stranded. And while it's not thousands of riders like on some of the busier routes, that's still a few hundred people at are being left with no service whatsoever.

Exactly. Even certain runs. If NICE (Or any other bus company) eliminates runs which are typically empty then what is the big deal?

The question is how much of an impact it will have on the few people who do use it (i.e. Leaving people stranded). If a run is typically empty, and the next run is scheduled 30 minutes later, it's one thing. If a run is empty and it's the last run of the night, it might be worth keeping it, because some people might be using it as their backup for the next-to-last run. 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being they care the most, vote on how much you think that board legitimately cares about bus service compared to their own businesses that they work for and the amount of thinking they put into their decisions instead of giving other options. I give them a 1.

But don't limited/express buses actually save money? They have quicker runs and carry more people, so they can provide more service with less buses. This is why the MTA runs Limited service usually.

I wasn't speaking specifically about the money portion in relation to LIMITEDs/Expresses. Local buses would probably carry more passengers total given it stops everywhere, but the LIMITED/Expresses not only increase the attractiveness of routes to the public with the idea that you can get where you're going fast for the price of a single fare, but they alleviate a lot of the loads of the local buses by taking people who travel to/from the same popular stops. The n20 LIMITED worked in the peak directions. There were too many LIMITEDs going to Hicksville in the evening that most ran empty. The n6 LIMITED worked great in the Long Island Bus days. Even those buses were packed.

I wasn't speaking specifically about the money portion in relation to LIMITEDs/Expresses. Local buses would probably carry more passengers total given it stops everywhere.

Not necessarily. That's like saying the local trains in NYC carry more people than the express trains. (The MTA also breaks down local vs. SBS, and in several cases, the SBS carries the vast majority of the passengers, like on the M15 & Bx12). During rush hour, it's not out of question that the limited/express buses would carry more people, since the limited/express buses stop at the major stops and pick up the majority of the people over there.

Not necessarily. That's like saying the local trains in NYC carry more people than the express trains. (The MTA also breaks down local vs. SBS, and in several cases, the SBS carries the vast majority of the passengers, like on the M15 & Bx12). During rush hour, it's not out of question that the limited/express buses would carry more people, since the limited/express buses stop at the major stops and pick up the majority of the people over there.

I wasn't relating, referring, or even considering trains in my statement. That is out of the question. You're also comparing city routes to county routes which are streamlined differently than routes you see in deep Queens or Manhattan. I was also referring to rush hours only since that's the only time NICE/LIB runs/ran EXPRESS/LIMITED buses.

I wasn't relating, referring, or even considering trains in my statement. That is out of the question. You're also comparing city routes to county routes which are streamlined differently than routes you see in deep Queens or Manhattan. I was also referring to rush hours only since that's the only time NICE/LIB runs/ran EXPRESS/LIMITED buses.

Limited/Express buses provide more service with less buses since their runs are quicker. At one point LIB got rid of the PM N6 Limited and replaced it with short turns at 179th st, probably to do so at no additional cost. They wound up reinstating it. 

The unique issue with the route is that everyone going to the subway gets off at 179th st and the rest are going to the bus terminal, but most boarding in Jamaica happens at the Bus Terminal and 169th because people want to be able to board and to get a seat, so turning at 179th street causes a major load imbalance.

On Sun, there will be no bus service between Babylon Station and Sunrise Mall. How will people get to shopping/work if there was no bus from Babylon Station to Sunrise Mall since S20 don't run on Sunday, which NICE Bus did not think. They have to take LIRR train to Masspeaqua Park, then walk dangerous Sunrise Highway to shopping mall.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Why does the n79 run down Plainview Road? I don't think I've ever seen anyone take the bus from any stop between New South Road and E Marie St. Now that the n81 is gone it should probably run that way...yes it's a little added distance but it shouldn't add all that much runtime...

On Sun, there will be no bus service between Babylon Station and Sunrise Mall. How will people get to shopping/work if there was no bus from Babylon Station to Sunrise Mall since S20 don't run on Sunday, which NICE Bus did not think. They have to take LIRR train to Masspeaqua Park, then walk dangerous Sunrise Highway to shopping mall.

Doesn't the n55 run on Sunrise Highway between the LIRR station and the Mall on Sunday?

Edited by NY1635

Doesn't the n55 run on Sunrise Highway between the LIRR station and the Mall on Sunday?

I meant from Babylon Station. There are no Suffolk County Transit Buses go from Babylon Station to Sunrise Mall on Sunday.

I double check and n55 serves stations Massapeaqua and Massapequa Park while n54 also serves Seaford Station.

But if Babylon train was out, there's no way to get to Sunrise Mall from Babylon Train Station.

Edited by FamousNYLover

I meant from Babylon Station. There are no Suffolk County Transit Buses go from Babylon Station to Sunrise Mall on Sunday.

I double check and n55 serves stations Massapeaqua and Massapequa Park while n54 also serves Seaford Station.

But if Babylon train was out, there's no way to get to Sunrise Mall from Babylon Train Station.

Providing bus service east of Sunrise Mall is now officially Suffolk's problem, not NICE. I guess folks can take the train to Massapeaqua and then take the n55 to the mall from there.

The S33 & n55 run from Amityville to the Sunrise Mall on Sunday. And as others said, the n55 runs along Sunrise Highway as well.

If you want to do it purely with buses, you can take the S27 from Babylon to Tanger Outlets and catch the S33 there (which is a huge backtrack that will rarely, if ever be done in practice)

And the n54 doesn't run on Sunday.

If the Ronkonkoma Branch was out, you'd have no way of getting from Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale. What's your point? If there was that big of a problem, the LIRR would run shuttle buses like they have in the past.