NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

Because that would mean more money due to longer operating hours. NICE has to save as much service as possible now so that if/when future cuts happen, they aren't as drastic.

Out of all the service changes, the n79 IMO is the worst one, because there's no alternative except for the tiny portion between South Oyster Bay Road and Hicksville LIRR (which can also be walked). I already stated what should be done in order to maintain the n79. However, the n79 should be maintained, running every 60 minutes weekdays, 90 minutes on Saturdays, and if there is enough money left for additional service, have the bus run every 90 minutes on Sundays. You would have two buses on Weekdays, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday (weekday service would likely be interlined to reduce the amount of service hours actually needed).

NICE will have to eliminate the n6x midday trips to NCC, the Elmont Flexi, Mercy Medical Shuttle, n22a, n24 to East Meadow, and maybe the n54 or reduce select off peak n15 trips to just HTC just to save the n79 because of the minimal budget the County provided them with. The only hope for Nassau's buses is that the County Executive after Mangano provides the system with a recurring revenue to prevent these cuts.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These proposals to compensate for the lack of n72 service east of Route 110 aren't going to work.  People in Nassau want a one seat ride to/from Babylon and just don't want to put up with transferring to another route to continue their travel because bus service out east is very unreliable.

People in Nassau should contact their elected officials to properly fund bus service.

NICE will have to eliminate the n6x midday trips to NCC, the Elmont Flexi, Mercy Medical Shuttle, n22a, n24 to East Meadow, and maybe the n54 or reduce select off peak n15 trips to just HTC just to save the n79 because of the minimal budget the County provided them with. The only hope for Nassau's buses is that the County Executive after Mangano provides the system with a recurring revenue to prevent these cuts.

I don't think you need to cut all those services to provide for the n79. I already gave some service changes in order to keep the n79, which should be sufficient to keep the n79. Making the n1 run every 60 minutes between Hempstead Turnpike and Green Acres mall saves one bus on Saturday and Sunday. That bus can be used to have weekend n79 service on Saturday and Sunday, running every 90 minutes. The other service reductions would save 7 buses (2 on the n15, 4 on the n21/n27 weekends, a little more than 1 on the n31/n32).  5 buses can be used to run weekday n79 service (On 90 minute headways though. It's not the greatest thing, but it provides coverage in those areas). 

However, another issue that arises is that NICE is planning to cut n27 weekend service, which is not the wisest of plans. At least if they're gonna do that (and reduce weekday headways), reroute the n21 along Glen Cove Road (Now it won't have an interlining partner, which means that there will be 20-25 minute layovers on both sides of the route. I'm pretty sure rerouting the buses via Glen Cove Road and Northern Boulevard would still allow for ample layover in Glen Cove and Great Neck). Instead, I would have eliminated all n21 service (the n20H would be the only bus running along Northern Boulevard), and have all that service cut be used to run the n27 on weekends (7 buses would be used to run weekend service).

The remainder of buses reduced, including the n48 shuttle cut, would be sufficient to add to n79 service to run it close to 60 minute headways. You could even run it every 45 minutes, since two buses would be used at times.

I feel that the n71 may have been kept so that most riders still have a connection to the S20 and S33 depending on where along the n72 route riders are coming from. May not be the best option, but at least there's something there to get them to the Babylon area. Unfortunately, many would have to walk to/from the S20 or S33). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I don't think you need to cut all those services to provide for the n79. I already gave some service changes in order to keep the n79, which should be sufficient to keep the n79. Making the n1 run every 60 minutes between Hempstead Turnpike and Green Acres mall saves one bus on Saturday and Sunday. That bus can be used to have weekend n79 service on Saturday and Sunday, running every 90 minutes. The other service reductions would save 7 buses (2 on the n15, 4 on the n21/n27 weekends, a little more than 1 on the n31/n32).  5 buses can be used to run weekday n79 service (On 90 minute headways though. It's not the greatest thing, but it provides coverage in those areas). 

However, another issue that arises is that NICE is planning to cut n27 weekend service, which is not the wisest of plans. At least if they're gonna do that (and reduce weekday headways), reroute the n21 along Glen Cove Road (Now it won't have an interlining partner, which means that there will be 20-25 minute layovers on both sides of the route. I'm pretty sure rerouting the buses via Glen Cove Road and Northern Boulevard would still allow for ample layover in Glen Cove and Great Neck). Instead, I would have eliminated all n21 service (the n20H would be the only bus running along Northern Boulevard), and have all that service cut be used to run the n27 on weekends (7 buses would be used to run weekend service).

The remainder of buses reduced, including the n48 shuttle cut, would be sufficient to add to n79 service to run it close to 60 minute headways. You could even run it every 45 minutes, since two buses would be used at times.

I feel that the n71 may have been kept so that most riders still have a connection to the S20 and S33 depending on where along the n72 route riders are coming from. May not be the best option, but at least there's something there to get them to the Babylon area. Unfortunately, many would have to walk to/from the S20 or S33). 

There's an alternative to the n27 on weekends. People can take the n40/41 from the Hempstead Transit Center to Mineola and then transfer to the n23 if they wish travel to Rosyln, and then connect to the n21 at the Clock Tower  for Glen Cove. Or if they're heading to Roosevelt Field  then they can also take the n15/35 at the HTC to Roosevelt Field. n16 will still serve Westbury Blvd between Clinton and Oak Streets on Saturdays. I have a feeling the n27 weekend service got cut because people were coming from the major transfer points, and not along Roslyn Road.

Riders shouldn't have to walk to/from the S20 or S33 since they both stop inside the mall along with the n71.

Ok. So for the first time in nearly...what?...years! No service from Babylon into Nassau County (in this case the N72).

This is pretty disturbing. No service in Bellmore (N45). I guess you can hop on the Babylon Branch to compensate for the N19 and N36. SMH!

A lot of south shore Nassau county has changed (have johnny boy [pinepowerLI] tell it, for the worst).... I don't exactly buy a drastic amt. of elitism on the Babylon branch (let him tell it), but I don't see n19 riders taking the LIRR regardless....

As for the n4 supplement (i.e., the n36), I'm surprised it lasted this long.....

Really? Is that just for one person? That is a rip off than. 

Yup.... 8 bucks now to travel 1 town over (used to be 7).... They raised fares late last year.

What I find w/ all island taxi is, generally speaking, the shorter the distance traveled, the more you're getting ripped off.... I mean, how is it that I took a cab from Mineola to all the way to Little Neck for 35, but IIRC (from overhearing), to get from Mineola to Hicksville was 21-22 (before the fare increase)? I was actually expecting to hear something in the 50's, before I walked over to a waiting cab....

Out of all the service changes, the n79 IMO is the worst one, because there's no alternative except for the tiny portion between South Oyster Bay Road and Hicksville LIRR (which can also be walked). I already stated what should be done in order to maintain the n79. However, the n79 should be maintained, running every 60 minutes weekdays, 90 minutes on Saturdays, and if there is enough money left for additional service, have the bus run every 90 minutes on Sundays. You would have two buses on Weekdays, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday (weekday service would likely be interlined to reduce the amount of service hours actually needed).

AINEC......

These proposals to compensate for the lack of n72 service east of Route 110 aren't going to work.  People in Nassau want a one seat ride to/from Babylon and just don't want to put up with transferring to another route to continue their travel because bus service out east is very unreliable.

...Then enough of them should have been utilizing n72's deeper into Suffolk county past Conklin/110.

There was never a high amount of Nassau patrons west of Farmingdale riding out to Babylon anyway.... Those proposed proposals in question were really for the Suffolk patrons that would be left with nothing along 109....

(I) don't want to be that guy, but NICE could've easily killed off both bus services from Nassau county to Babylon in one shot..... n19 east of Sunrise was easier to kill off; n72 (as we now see) was living on borrowed time.....

Yes, Nobody wants cuts, but at the same time, I don't want to hear Nassau patrons crying foul over (no) bus service to Babylon - because they were not well patronized on either of the aforementioned routes.....

That, or for interlining purposes @ Sunrise.....

I'm still amazed the Flexi is being kept. I was convinced that the people coming off the n6 at Meacham and Hempstead Turnpike are walking to their homes from the stop, or using the n25 to get to Meacham and Dutch Broadway area or Northwell Health.

The worst service cut is the closing of the Rockville Centre Depot. Seltzer even said it himself, it would be forced to reduce peak hour service by 40 buses and rearranging Mitchel Field. I say it over and over again this is a short sighted move, but NICE won't listen. Mr Setzer keep saying "If we have money we will restore route" I want to ask him "How", because there won't be any space. I'm afraid these April Cuts are going to be permanent

Edited by Mtatransit

What I believe that NICE wants to do reflects a long-term shift in ridership. The amount of "choice riders" in Nassau County has steadily declined over the decades, especially in the eastern reaches of the county. However, population density has increased in the western parts of the county, and many areas in that region have gotten significantly poorer over time, and changes in bus frequencies and routing have reflected that (one example being the gradual shift from the n45 to the n43).

Bus ridership in Nassau County now almost exclusively consists of "the help", college students, and people without driver's licenses. A few decades ago, ridership was much more healthy among the middle class (though it still wasn't great), and people would take the bus to/from the malls and to/from the LIRR. Online shopping helped to kill the former draw (if you can afford to shop online and don't have a car, why go to the mall?), but I'm not sure how the latter declined so much.

Overall, I'd expect that future cuts will reduce service significantly on the Jerusalem Avenue buses (n54/55), Hempstead Turnpike buses (n70/71/72), the eastern Northern Boulevard buses (n20H/21), and the Front Street buses (n48/49). However, some buses will likely be re-allocated to routes in the western section of the county (where routes are shorter and have higher ridership per mile, thus making them cheaper to operate), so small service increases are possible on routes like the n4, n15, the southern section of the n35, the n40/41, and the n43.

Within five years, things will likely improve slightly for riders east of the Meadowbrook and south of Jericho Turnpike, as service reliability will likely increase as the longer routes to the east are reduced even further, and perhaps small increases in frequency. As for those in the other parts of the county, you may NEED to get a car, because unless you qualify for Able-Ride, there will be either extremely limited or no bus service at all.

Edited by MrBeardedBread

Setzer admitted, if the revenue situation stays the same, there will be more cuts next year as costs rise. Obviously if that were the case, the cuts would be smaller dollar-wise than these cuts, but they get more and more painful as you go down the list...

The worst service cut is the closing of the Rockville Centre Depot. Seltzer even said it himself, it would be forced to reduce peak hour service by 40 buses and rearranging Mitchel Field. I say it over and over again this is a short sighted move, but NICE won't listen. Mr Setzer keep saying "If we have money we will restore route" I want to ask him "How", because there won't be any space. I'm afraid these April Cuts are going to be permanent

I don't have a problem with closing a depot, so long as it's not demolished or sold....

That, or for interlining purposes @ Sunrise.....

Interlining with what? Both the n54 and n55 go to Amityville now, the n81 won't exist, and the n80 will be ARBOC's.

Edited by Amtrak7

What I believe that NICE wants to do reflects a long-term shift in ridership. The amount of "choice riders" in Nassau County has steadily declined over the decades, especially in the eastern reaches of the county. However, population density has increased in the western parts of the county, and many areas in that region have gotten significantly poorer over time, and changes in bus frequencies and routing have reflected that (one example being the gradual shift from the n45 to the n43).

Bus ridership in Nassau County now almost exclusively consists of "the help", college students, and people without driver's licenses. A few decades ago, ridership was much more healthy among the middle class (though it still wasn't great), and people would take the bus to/from the malls and to/from the LIRR. Online shopping helped to kill the former draw (if you can afford to shop online and don't have a car, why go to the mall?), but I'm not sure how the latter declined so much.

Overall, I'd expect that future cuts will reduce service significantly on the Jerusalem Avenue buses (n54/55), Hempstead Turnpike buses (n70/71/72), the eastern Northern Boulevard buses (n20H/21), and the Front Street buses (n48/49). However, some buses will likely be re-allocated to routes in the western section of the county (where routes are shorter and have higher ridership per mile, thus making them cheaper to operate), so small service increases are possible on routes like the n4, n15, the southern section of the n35, the n40/41, and the n43.

Within five years, things will likely improve slightly for riders east of the Meadowbrook and south of Jericho Turnpike, as service reliability will likely increase as the longer routes to the east are reduced even further, and perhaps small increases in frequency. As for those in the other parts of the county, you may NEED to get a car, because unless you qualify for Able-Ride, there will be either extremely limited or no bus service at all.

I feel that the decline in bus ridership is caused by things that are beyond NICE's control in Nassau like supermarkets and local stores going out of business, and the malls losing revenue despite their expansions/re-modelings. There's also the fact that the county is increasingly becoming reliant on the city for jobs and entertainment, which is why the Nassau-Queens routes are so packed with people traveling to/from the subways. All of this is happening because there's barely anything in Nassau to keep it's residents from leaving, or going to the city. I would like to think that student enrollment is down in some colleges like NCC, which had it too good for too long in terms of bus routes ,but I'm not sure how things are going in CW Post, SUNY Old Westbury, or even NYIT.

I don't think that NICE will touch the n20H/n21 yet, unless the can figure out how to shake off the people riding all the way to Hicksville while still serving the colleges in the area. As for the n35, how south are we talking? South of HTC or South of Roosevelt Field? I'm not sure that Grand Avenue will see a slight increase unless Baldwin revitalizes somehow, especially do something with the abandoned Pathmark, Pizza Hut, and the areas near Merrick Road.

Better than nothing. If NICE doesn't want to cover that segment (and I do agree that it would be best served by the n72), then the only alternative is to have SCT cover it with one of its own routes (while trying to minimize the extra resources used, since it's also facing budget issues)

Setzer admitted, if the revenue situation stays the same, there will be more cuts next year as costs rise. Obviously if that were the case, the cuts would be smaller dollar-wise than these cuts, but they get more and more painful as you go down the list...

I don't have a problem with closing a depot, so long as it's not demolished or sold....

Interlining with what? Both the n54 and n55 go to Amityville now, the n81 won't exist, and the n80 will be ARBOC's.

I think it's the connections to SCT, combined with not wanting to overserve Farmingdale State College (or Route 110/Conklin if they want to do something like n70 to FSC & n72 to Route 110/Conklin). 

Thought they got rid of the n55 & turned all trips into the n54....

Anyway, interlining with whenever they have (unscheduled) trips ending at Sunrise; I remember someone complaining about n54's abruptly ending at the mall (which is the very reason I even brought it up).... Apparently, this is also going on w/ the n24 at RFM (buses originally signed as going to Hicksville from 165th, but turning into RFM shorties out of nowhere) from what I've been hearing.....

Better than nothing. If NICE doesn't want to cover that segment (and I do agree that it would be best served by the n72), then the only alternative is to have SCT cover it with one of its own routes (while trying to minimize the extra resources used, since it's also facing budget issues)

The problem I have, is this premise that enough Nassau patrons are doing all this "distance riding" (as QJT would put it) to Babylon to begin with..... But yeah, if NICE doesn't want to continue providing coverage (which is all it is) along 109, I'd (also) say let SCT do it.... I mean, SCT didn't "officially" come out & say it being a reason for the change in operation, but technically, they did cover the old n19 portion to Babylon from Sunrise w/ the whole looping of the S20 bit.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Thought they got rid of the n55 & turned all trips into the n54....

Anyway, interlining with whenever they have (unscheduled) trips ending at Sunrise; I remember someone complaining about n54's abruptly ending at the mall (which is the very reason I even brought it up).... Apparently, this is also going on w/ the n24 at RFM (buses originally signed as going to Hicksville from 165th, but turning into RFM shorties out of nowhere) from what I've been hearing.....

The problem I have, is this premise that enough Nassau patrons are doing all this "distance riding" (as QJT would put it) to Babylon to begin with..... But yeah, if NICE doesn't want to continue providing coverage (which is all it is) along 109, I'd (also) say let SCT do it.... I mean, SCT didn't "officially" come out & say it being a reason for the change in operation, but technically, they did cover the old n19 portion to Babylon from Sunrise w/ the whole looping of the S20 bit.....

IIRC, I think they might've eliminated the n54 on Saturday or something at one point and then brought it back. I know they mentioned something about extending the n55 to Amityville, but increasing the headway, or something to that effect.

But I can definitely say that NICE never eliminated either the n54 or n55 completely. (And if they were to eliminate one, it would probably be the n54, since the n55 is the one that runs on Sundays, so I guess they consider that to be the more important route)

I think it's worth reminding everyone that NICE has said there are additional cuts which do not require BTC approval, and the clause for BTC approval is "25% in the number of service hours assigned to a specific route". Since this doesn't say "on a given day", there can be significant reductions in weekend service that would not meet this threshold. I wouldn't be surprised if some things (n22 Sat, n15 Sat/Sun, early AM Sat n20/n71) are being cut.

Edited by Amtrak7

The shuttles, n36, n45,n47 n51, and the n72 trips to Babylon are going to be permanent. I can honestly see the n79 and maybe the n19 being restored if the county bothers to put money into NICE. The n57 maybe will get the small van treatment if it's lucky. The RVC Depot's closing down because that area is slowly becoming more suburban and less industrial.

The shuttles, n36, n45,n47 n51, and the n72 trips to Babylon are going to be permanent. I can honestly see the n79 and maybe the n19 being restored if the county bothers to put money into NICE. The n57 maybe will get the small van treatment if it's lucky. The RVC Depot's closing down because that area is slowly becoming more suburban and less industrial.

I mean how are they planning to expand service if they don't have space at Michell Field

I mean how are they planning to expand service if they don't have space at Michell Field

NICE could probably sell off the property in Rockville Centre for development (real estate there is pretty valuable nowadays) and then buying some more room for the Mitchell Field depot to be expanded a bit (property around Mitchell Field is significantly cheaper). Even when factoring in expanding Mitchell Field, the long-term costs savings of everything being under one roof will yield more financial benefits for years to come.

However, I still don't see the routes that have been cut coming back regardless.

If they restore routes, how about they take the time to restore the n50? With the n45 set to be eliminated, there will be nothing there. There's no North-South link in that area (the n51 is gonna be eliminated, the n73/HWCS is gonna be eliminated). There should at least be something there for coverage. Front Street and Uniondale Avenue already have bus routes which are more frequent and have higher ridership, so there's no real need to bring those routes back. Additionally, the n50 had a longer span of service than the n46 or n45. You could have minibuses on that route for all I care, but there should be something there for coverage. However, that would be my second priority, as I would do whatever possible to reinstate n79 service first.

In the original proposal, they did have the n35 north of Hempstead on the chopping block. Now, I know that a few people might object to doing that, but it really isn't that insane, if you think about it. The n15 still covers the n35 portion on Clinton Avenue, and Westbury riders would have to transfer to the n15 for Hempstead. I don't know how many take the n35 through Hempstead from north/east of Roosevelt Field, and where they go (south of Hempstead), but if the amount of transfers made was a problem, they could take the n22 to the n16. They would have to walk more, but it's a much better situation compared to that segment having no alternatives and being cut.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

All of these constant cuts would be ended if NICE/Nassau would do like what COTA in Columbus, OH did when they were on the brink of extinction: First, establish a transit levy to "right" the system.  Then, establish a specific transit-only sales tax.  In the beginning, the millages were renewable after every three years.  The first sales tax was for 10 years.  With all of the improvements, these were renewed, and in 1999 voters decided to make the 0.25% sales tax permanent.

That would also mean that Veolia/Transdev would have some sort of accountability -- not just to Nassau politicians (mmm-hmmm, right), but to the voters/customers themselves.

Pulling funds from the lagging sales tax revenues (because of the poor economy) has not worked, because practically everybody's fingers are in that cookie jar.

Edited by DetSMART45

If they restore routes, how about they take the time to restore the n50? With the n45 set to be eliminated, there will be nothing there. There's no North-South link in that area (the n51 is gonna be eliminated, the n73/HWCS is gonna be eliminated). There should at least be something there for coverage. Front Street and Uniondale Avenue already have bus routes which are more frequent and have higher ridership, so there's no real need to bring those routes back. Additionally, the n50 had a longer span of service than the n46 or n45. You could have minibuses on that route for all I care, but there should be something there for coverage. However, that would be my second priority, as I would do whatever possible to reinstate n79 service first.

In the original proposal, they did have the n35 north of Hempstead on the chopping block. Now, I know that a few people might object to doing that, but it really isn't that insane, if you think about it. The n15 still covers the n35 portion on Clinton Avenue, and Westbury riders would have to transfer to the n15 for Hempstead. I don't know how many take the n35 through Hempstead from north/east of Roosevelt Field, and where they go (south of Hempstead), but if the amount of transfers made was a problem, they could take the n22 to the n16. They would have to walk more, but it's a much better situation compared to that segment having no alternatives and being cut.

I feel that a lot of people got used to the n35's current routing to the point hat they don't want it to revert back to the n37, when people from Baldwin get off at HTC and then wait for the n15 to take them to RFM or the n16 packed with college students and people heading the DSS take them to NCC. Many of the people South of Hempstead are usually coming from Grand Avenue (usually near the Shopping Centers), or the n4 at Merrick Road and riding far North as the either the Mall or the College. I'm not sure how many people in Westbury take it down the the mall, pretty sure that the n22 is the New Cassel-RFM route while the n35 exists to help hit north of Old Country.

Edited by NY1635

NICE could probably sell off the property in Rockville Centre....

Is it owned by Nassau County or by Transdev?

If NICE doesn't want to cover that segment ....

Correction: "If Nassau County doesn't want to pay to cover that segment...."

NICE provides exactly the service that Nassau County is willing to pay for.

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

Is it owned by Nassau County or by Transdev?

Correction: "If Nassau County doesn't want to pay to cover that segment...."

NICE provides exactly the service that Nassau County is willing to pay for.

I believe the county owns the depot. By shutting it down Nassau I believe would be expected to pay back state and federal government 1 million each because the depot is expected to be used for 36 years but is not.

I believe the county owns the depot. By shutting it down Nassau I believe would be expected to pay back state and federal government 1 million each because the depot is expected to be used for 36 years but is not.

Nassau County would probably demand that Transdev (as the contract carrier) pay back the federal and state funds.

• 4 weeks later...

Without notice, additional cuts have been added:

Additional Service Reductions:
We fully realize the impact service reductions have on our customers.  With the decrease in funding, we are forced to reduce service on smaller routes.  We will continue to work toward funding solultions that will ensure a robust transit service for the future.
-n1     Saturday and Sunday service eliminated
-n16   Saturday service eliminated
-n27   Saturday and Sunday service eliminated
-n33   Sunday service eliminated
-n48   Service between Hicksville and Jehricho Quad eliminated

http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

Edited by Amtrak7

Without notice, additional cuts have been added:

http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

The n48 no longer going to the Quad will surprise absolutely no one. I also believe that n27 weekend cut was discussed at the meeting with the public, but never listed on the website until now.

As for the other three:

-The n1 being cut on weekends is not good, to say the least. There is absolutely no other bus service in most of Elmont and Valley Stream, and both areas have sizable populations of lower-income folks. They're going to need to walk either to Hempstead Turnpike or Merrick Road for service.

-The n16 being eliminated on Saturdays at first seemed very alarming, but in all reality, it isn't inexcusable. While the n1 has few alternates, the n16 has lots of redundancies. The n35 runs twice as often on Saturdays (as of now - not sure how the frequencies will be once April rolls around), and effectively serves most of the same destinations from the Southern State northwards (though between the Southern State and Hempstead terminal, it's a few blocks away in a not-so-great area). The n15 also provides service to/from Rockville Centre as well. The real losers here are those whom live south of the Southern State and north of Lakeview Avenue, as well as those who work at Mercy Medical on Saturdays and walk to/from the n16 (though I'm not sure how many people do this).

-The n33 being eliminated on Sundays is... an odd one. The n33 certainly doesn't get great ridership from what I am aware of, but it's a reasonably short route and fills in a very important gap in the network. Without the n33, a person whom wants to go from Far Rockaway to Long Beach will have to go up to Lynbrook on the n32, transfer to the n4, and then board the n15, or they can fork over a few extra dollars for the train from Lynbrook to Long Beach. I'd personally keep service on this route on Sundays, but end it at the Long Beach city line and time trips to connect with Long Beach Bus service.