NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

It doesn't tell where n27 bus will pickup at ferry.

I just compare the schedule. I uploaded all current schedule to internet archive.

I know. I haven't gotten to take it yet, not sure I will be able to, but I would have no clue where to get the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Glen Cove Ferry bus never made it into the GTFS feed, so any app that has it is doing it manually.

The fall GTFS has some oddities in the Saturday schedule...there's a bunch of trips that shouldn't be there. Includes 7 n6X trips, 4 n6 trips, 4 early AM n4 trips, 3 Mineola-Roslyn n23 short turns, and an 8:55am n22 out of Jamaica.

The Glen Cove Ferry bus never made it into the GTFS feed, so any app that has it is doing it manually.

The fall GTFS has some oddities in the Saturday schedule...there's a bunch of trips that shouldn't be there. Includes 7 n6X trips, 4 n6 trips, 4 early AM n4 trips, 3 Mineola-Roslyn n23 short turns, and an 8:55am n22 out of Jamaica.

They're probably in their in-between edit phase.

Bee-Line Buses sometimes have hollow entries if the schedule was recently updated. It'll pass.

Eric Shields | MassTransitHonchkrow

Proud EasyPay Express Unlimited Customer - PPR mode

Level 5 Google Local Guide for Southern NY State

Check out my photography, DeskThemePacks and more -

https://masstransithonchkrow.deviantart.com/gallery

Sent from my HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC using Tapatalk using Remix OS

The N16x is a misnomer, since an "x" should mean a bus runs the same route as the local, but it makes less stops (such as the n4x, n22x or n6x).  The N16x has nothing at all to do with the N16 - it doesn't serve the super-busy Roosevelt Field and it doesn't serve Rockville Centre.  They should rename it to something else like N99.

The N16x is a misnomer, since an "x" should mean a bus runs the same route as the local, but it makes less stops (such as the n4x, n22x or n6x).  The N16x has nothing at all to do with the N16 - it doesn't serve the super-busy Roosevelt Field and it doesn't serve Rockville Centre.  They should rename it to something else like N99.

The n16 used to short turn at the Hempstead Transit Center back when it ran to Baldwin Silver Lake and the whole system was under the control of the MTA. Those short turns existed for the benefit of the NCC Students, who would cram themselves onto the bus and cause it to be packed between the Terminal and Student Union Building at the expense of everyone else using the route to get to 60 Charles Lindbergh, or somewhere south of HTC like Franklin Street or RVC. When NICE took over the system, they decided to create the n16x as a means of balancing the loads and separating the NCC students from the regular n16 riders.

The n16 used to short turn at the Hempstead Transit Center back when it ran to Baldwin Silver Lake and the whole system was under the control of the MTA. Those short turns existed for the benefit of the NCC Students, who would cram themselves onto the bus and cause it to be packed between the Terminal and Student Union Building at the expense of everyone else using the route to get to 60 Charles Lindbergh, or somewhere south of HTC like Franklin Street or RVC. When NICE took over the system, they decided to create the n16x as a means of balancing the loads and separating the NCC students from the regular n16 riders.

It doesn't do enough. I took the RVC-bound n16 trip that passes through NCC at around 11:15 AM to HTC, and we had to flag people once we got past 50 Charles Lindbergh.

Edited by MrBeardedBread

It doesn't do enough. I took the RVC-bound n16 trip that passes through NCC at around 11:15 AM to HTC, and we had to flag people once we got past 50 Charles Lindbergh.

That's mostly due to the n35 being reduced to hourly north of Hempstead during mid days, and the NCC students running to the Student Union and Davis Ave stop because it's the first stop in and out of the campus. I'm sure if the 35 was truncated to NCC-Endo Blvd during the mid day, it could help out the n16  and reduce crowding.

That's mostly due to the n35 being reduced to hourly north of Hempstead during mid days, and the NCC students running to the Student Union and Davis Ave stop because it's the first stop in and out of the campus. I'm sure if the 35 was truncated to NCC-Endo Blvd during the mid day, it could help out the n16  and reduce crowding.

I totally agree with that. Another possibility, at least in my mind, is to have the n15 replace the n16x and serve NCC during rush hours instead of going via County Seat Drive, as I've rarely seen anyone get on/off along the County Seat routing.

I'd also like to see the elimination of the stop on Earle Ovington before the bus turns onto Charles Lindbergh for the n16. I've only seen students occasionally board the n16 there, and it adds quite a bit of runtime (espeically if it gets stuck in traffic trying to leave the parking lot).

Edited by MrBeardedBread

I remember those N16 short turns too well as the route to avoid unless it was early in the morning.  It got so hung up any time after 10:00 AM that it was actually faster to take the N35 to Hempstead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/28/2017 at 10:39 PM, NY1635 said:

Funding isn't enough, which causes service decreases,which decreases ridership, however costs and payroll increase, but funding remains the same or less, what do they expect?

• 3 months later...

I just found out from one of the bus stop signs that NICE will be making some massive changes on April 22. One of those changes is eliminating certain stops to make the commute much faster. I saw a flyer attached to the n40/41 Mineola stop at Greenwich and Henry Streets in Hempstead recommending that riders use the one by the park 2 blocks south.

10 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I just found out from one of the bus stop signs that NICE will be making some massive changes on April 22. One of those changes is eliminating certain stops to make the commute much faster. I saw a flyer attached to the n40/41 Mineola stop at Greenwich and Henry Streets in Hempstead recommending that riders use the one by the park 2 blocks south.

Do you have a photo of that?

Also, will there be schedule changes (besides timing, of course) as well?

Edited by 67thAve

14 hours ago, 67thAve said:

Do you have a photo of that?

Also, will there be schedule changes (besides timing, of course) as well?

I don't know if there will be scheduling changes. I just found the poster attached to the n40/41 stop right in front of the CVS in Hempstead when I went out to do some shopping. The stop south of the n40/41 on Greenwich Street is the one on Baldwin Road and Oak Avenue for the n35 to Westbury

DBXMBX2.jpg

Edited by NY1635

4 hours ago, NY1635 said:

DBXMBX2.jpg

Now comes one month of speculation as to what stops (or routes) are going to be cut before NICE releases its service changes.

One stop that I honestly want to see cut is the southbound n15/31/32 stop at Hempstead Av @ Broad St, which is so close to Hempstead Av @ Westminster Rd that I have no idea why it exists. Nearly all riders at either stop use them for the same purpose (National Wholesale Liquidators).

Edited by 67thAve

21 minutes ago, RtrainBlues said:

They need to make MASSIVE cuts of the N24 bus stops.  They stop practically EVERY single block in Queens.  

It sounds to me like more people are using the n24 in Queens because the Q36 is too slow. The n24 has open door service as far west as 239th Street, or Cross Island and Jamaica Avenue because of Floral Park.

Edited by NY1635

11 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The funding will be exactly what the County wants it to be.

County funding has nothing to do with it. The market for some routes just didn't exist or left Nassau for greener pastures. I don't think there's anything left to cut in the system, except for the n35 north of NCC, the n48/49 north of the Hicksville LIRR station, and maybe the n1 south of Green Acres Mall due to low ridership in those parts.

N35 is standing room only between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead during rush-hours, so I highly doubt they'd cut that.  NICE lost tons of revenue after students ditched NICE when they cut the N51 and N45 rides to the college; if they cut the N35 to the college from Roosevelt Field, they'd be very very foolish.

16 minutes ago, RtrainBlues said:

N35 is standing room only between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead during rush-hours, so I highly doubt they'd cut that.  NICE lost tons of revenue after students ditched NICE when they cut the N51 and N45 rides to the college; if they cut the N35 to the college from Roosevelt Field, they'd be very very foolish.

The people who ride the n35 between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead during rush hours do so because it's way more direct than and faster than the n15. Between the two, the n35 to Westbury is the first to arrive at the Mall and the Transit Center. By the time the n15 going to RFM arrives at HTC, all the people waiting for a bus to the mall already boarded the n35 to Westbury and at Roosevelt Field Mall.  The same thing happens when the Long Beach bound bus goes into service, the mall patrons take either the n35 to Baldwin Harbor or the n27 to HTC, which leaves the n15 to get only a few people who missed either bus for Hempstead. I said it might get cut north of NCC because the Westbury trips carry air between Merchant's Concourse and Westbury, and people only use the n35 to travel as far north as either the Mall, or NCC because the n15 and n16 are unreliable.

A lot of NCC students who relied on the n45 for service to and from the college switched up to using the n43 for service on Uniondale Avenue between Nassau Road and Hempstead Turnpike. The 43 has college students, and people in Freeport and Roosevelt who wanted to get to the mall going all the way to the transit center for a bus to that same mall. I'm pretty sure that usage on the n51 wasn't really high even before NICE took over. Whatever usage it got came from North of Merrick.

Edited by NY1635

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 12:48 PM, NY1635 said:

I don't know if there will be scheduling changes. I just found the poster attached to the n40/41 stop right in front of the CVS in Hempstead when I went out to do some shopping. The stop south of the n40/41 on Greenwich Street is the one on Baldwin Road and Oak Avenue for the n35 to Westbury

DBXMBX2.jpg

Only problem with Long Islanders, they don't read the sign.

When I went to Hicksville Station for first day of service cut, no one didn't read n79 bus doesn't run on weekend.

3 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

Only problem with Long Islanders, they don't read the sign.

When I went to Hicksville Station for first day of service cut, no one didn't read n79 bus doesn't run on weekend.

The n78/79 was saved from the service cut at the last minute by the people who rode it. The 78/79 riders who attended the meeting last year said they needed it to get to work at the Hospital somewhere along the 79, and were okay with it being reduced to rush hours.

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

The n78/79 was saved from the service cut at the last minute by the people who rode it. The 78/79 riders who attended the meeting last year said they needed it to get to work at the Hospital somewhere along the 79, and were okay with it being reduced to rush hours.

The thing is that not all of the people who rode it attended the meeting. So some people knew about it and protested, some people knew about it and didn't do anything, and some didn't even know it was going to be cut.

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The thing is that not all of the people who rode it attended the meeting. So some people knew about it and protested, some people knew about it and didn't do anything, and some didn't even know it was going to be cut.

Of all the service cuts and route eliminations, a lot of riders protested the elimination of the n19, n72 to Babylon, and n45, and n78/79 the most. The riders who attended the meeting argued that they couldn't afford to take the cab because it would cost them $50-$100 a week just to get from Hicksville to Plainview using All Island, or there's no alternative to the eliminated route in their area. There's also a huge amount of seniors living on the North and South Shore who rely on the NICE bus to get to their destinations.