NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

7 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

The only routes I see coming back are weekend service on the n27, n36, n45, n50, and n72 to Babylon at some capacity. 

The county would rather recombine the n20G/H back into the n20 for the convenience of Hicksville/East Meadow Residents, and college students who love their one seat ride into Queens. The problem still remains of what to do with the n20 between Roslyn Clock Tower, and Hicksville when the semester is over. The n20H runs nonstop between Glen Cove Road and Broadway Mall because the people who live there don't want bus service. 

Actually SCT is proposing to have new Monday-Thursday route via NYS 109 between Farmingdale State College and Babylon Station to replace n72.

n20H lost lots of ridership due to split at Great Neck with n20H.

Sometimes when n20G Great neck arrives at Middle Neck Rd/Northern Blvd, n20H is already at left turn waiting to go to bus stop,  and sometimes people have to play FROGGER at dangerous busiest intersection on red light to catch connecting bus.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The only routes I see coming back are weekend service on the n27, n36, n45, n50, and n72 to Babylon at some capacity. 

The county would rather recombine the n20G/H back into the n20 for the convenience of Hicksville/East Meadow Residents, and college students who love their one seat ride into Queens. The problem still remains of what to do with the n20 between Roslyn Clock Tower, and Hicksville when the semester is over. The n20H runs nonstop between Glen Cove Road and Broadway Mall because the people who live there don't want bus service. 

Considering NICE likes to update schedules every season, one idea that could possibly work is keeping the 30-minute headways on the n20H as-is...except during the Summer, when you could probably get away with making them hourly until having to restore half-hourly levels for the school year.

As far as all the south shore routes that have been eliminated, at least one of them has to come back. But...if they were to be restored to at least rush hour & midday levels...the n19 has to get midday service restored too (otherwise, you’re pretty much taking a north to south route with nothing to connect to on the south shore).

Now...between the n45, n46, n50, n51, and n73 (or shoot, even the n87)...not so sure which one of these routes (if only one) would be best fit for restoration...even if just a single bus was all that was reallocated during the day for said restoration.

7 hours ago, Hound said:

The N20H does not run non-stop bet. Glen Cove Rd & Bway Mall. The non-stop portion is bet. CW Post & NY Tech due to Brookville nimbyism & safety concerns on Rt. 107.

I think point being made was that it runs "non-stop" between Glen Cove Rd and Broadway Mall in the Summer because college students are the main passengers within that section and the residents otherwise live in mansions and have no need for the bus.

17 hours ago, Axis said:

Considering NICE likes to update schedules every season, one idea that could possibly work is keeping the 30-minute headways on the n20H as-is...except during the Summer, when you could probably get away with making them hourly until having to restore half-hourly levels for the school year.

As far as all the south shore routes that have been eliminated, at least one of them has to come back. But...if they were to be restored to at least rush hour & midday levels...the n19 has to get midday service restored too (otherwise, you’re pretty much taking a north to south route with nothing to connect to on the south shore).

Now...between the n45, n46, n50, n51, and n73 (or shoot, even the n87)...not so sure which one of these routes (if only one) would be best fit for restoration...even if just a single bus was all that was reallocated during the day for said restoration.

Easily the n45, n50, and n73. The former (n45) because I'm not sure of NICE can get away with having a branch of the n43 go into Bellmore via Babylon Turnpike, the latter because all people bring up at the community meetings is wanting bus service on Newbridge Road east of Hempstead Turnpike. The n51 can pretty much stay dead unless NICE can figure out how to serve MSK at Uniondale and avoid the RXR Plaza at Glenn Curtiss Blvd. 

IIRC, the n46 got absorbed into the n47 before both routes got eliminated. I'm not sure if there's even space at HTC since NICE redid the bay assignments some time ago.

I can also see the n73 coming back for coverage reasons.

Edited by NY1635

On 9/21/2019 at 12:29 AM, N6 Limited said:

I think point being made was that it runs "non-stop" between Glen Cove Rd and Broadway Mall in the Summer because college students are the main passengers within that section and the residents otherwise live in mansions and have no need for the bus.

During the n20 day, on weekends, n20 bus drivers are not allowed to enter NYIT Loop. New driver driving entered NYIT Campus and security guard reminded him/her.

I think n20H should stop outside NYIT on weekends. There are some people who catch bus at CW Post and SUNY Old Westbury since there's no safe spot to make corresponding stops on Rte. 107.

Edited by FamousNYLover

I also forgot there’s one other route that got eliminated in the past few years. The Lynbrook-Oceanside-Freeport route, n36

Wonder if a restoration of that would be warranted someday...

And, slightly off-topic, I’ve always wondered if there was ever a one-seat ride bus route that went between Hicksville & Freeport, even way back in the day...

...apparently, there was something that looks like if it were extended further down the two routes it was a hybrid of...it could’ve been...

According to Wikipedia, there used to be a school days-only route (called the n67) that seemed to start somewhere along the n40 line in Roosevelt/Uniondale, then shifted over to the n49 line, terminating at a high school somewhere along Newbridge Road (maybe 5 or so minutes away from Hicksville LIRR/Broadway Mall).

Edited by Axis

17 hours ago, Axis said:

I also forgot there’s one other route that got eliminated in the past few years. The Lynbrook-Oceanside-Freeport route, n36

Wonder if a restoration of that would be warranted someday...

And, slightly off-topic, I’ve always wondered if there was ever a one-seat ride bus route that went between Hicksville & Freeport, even way back in the day...

...apparently, there was something that looks like if it were extended further down the two routes it was a hybrid of...it could’ve been...

According to Wikipedia, there used to be a school days-only route (called the n67) that seemed to start somewhere along the n40 line in Roosevelt/Uniondale, then shifted over to the n49 line, terminating at a high school somewhere along Newbridge Road (maybe 5 or so minutes away from Hicksville LIRR/Broadway Mall).

The n36 got eliminated because it ran parallel to the n4 on Merrick between 5-Corners and Freeport. It might be restored because the n4 has huge gaps in service because of traffic on Merrick Blvd. I still think the n36 should be extend west to Green Acres because 5-Corners and Broadway seems too tedious for buses to terminate there. 

Those school day routes were for kids attending private schools in Nassau. They were axed because they skipped major terminals and the county didn't want to pay for the routes.

One thing I realized is that NICE lowkey got rid of headway management on the n31/32 & n40 for the Summer, but hasn’t brought it back, probably hoping to pretend their failure of an attempt to fix their system didn’t exist in the first place.

As a regular user of the n31/n32, I can tell you right now, the last bus for the next hour stranding nearly twenty passengers doesn’t paint a pretty picture at all.

Now all this new schedule on the n31/32 has done is create a nice big 85 minute gap in n32 service on the PM evening shoulder, instead of actually alternating between each variant consistently throughout the entire day of operation. This just gets better & better. 😂

Edited by Axis

On 10/2/2019 at 1:47 PM, Axis said:

One thing I realized is that NICE lowkey got rid of headway management on the n31/32 & n40 for the Summer, but hasn’t brought it back, probably hoping to pretend their failure of an attempt to fix their system didn’t exist in the first place.

As a regular user of the n31/n32, I can tell you right now, the last bus for the next hour stranding nearly twenty passengers doesn’t paint a pretty picture at all.

Now all this new schedule on the n31/32 has done is create a nice big 85 minute gap in n32 service on the PM evening shoulder, instead of actually alternating between each variant consistently throughout the entire day of operation. This just gets better & better. 😂

The n40 doesn't need headway management. It travels smoothly between Mineola and Freeport with traffic at Downtown Hempstead on Main Street being the problem.

31/32 does fine with Merrick at Five Corners and B20/B21st Streets giving it trouble. Nassau isn't took keen on giving Redfern Houses and Terrace Ave their own 24 hr bus route thru 5 Towns even though the n31/32 is the only thing that works in Far Rockaway. 

• 1 month later...

Shopping-Shuttle_Small_2-min.png?ext=.pn

Weekend Shopping Shuttle Serving Roosevelt Field & Green Acres Malls Nov 23-24th during Thanksgiving Weekend

Tis the season for holiday shopping – and holiday traffic congestion! Historically, this upcoming weekend is one of the busiest at area malls, making typical bus routing a challenge. This year we are taking a different approach and offering FREE shuttle service to area malls from designated transfer locations, getting shoppers where they need to go while allowing buses to operate on time, keeping them out of Mall congestion.

This weekend, November 23 and 24 from 1PM to 9PM, riders using the n1, n15, n35, n22, n24, and n43 are asked to transfer to a Shopping Shuttle to access the Mall or their alternate connecting route, allowing other passengers to stay on the bus to reach their destination on time.  These routes will BYPASS the malls and continue on their route.  Thanks to our smaller, shuttle-style buses, we can allow for quick trips to and from our usual mall pickup/dropoff locations.

Riders can look for "Shopping Shuttle" head signs, with NICE team members available for questions about routing.

For service to/from Roosevelt Field or Green Acres Mall:

• n15, n35: For service northbound n15/35 service to/from Roosevelt Field, pick up our Shopping shuttle anwhere from Hempstead Transit Center and the Mall, for southbound n35 service to the Mall from Westbury, transfer to our Shopping Shuttle at NCC/Endo Blvd.

• n22, n24: For service to/from Roosevelt Field, pick up our Shopping Shuttle at 1 Old Country Rd

• n43: For service to/from Roosevelt Field, pick up our Shopping Shuttle at NCC/Endo Blvd

• n1: For Service to/from Green Acres Mall, pick up our Shopping Shuttle at Valley Stream LIRR station

For Regular Service:

• The n15 will make all scheduled stops between Long Beach and Garden City EXCEPT for Roosevelt Field. For service to/from the Mall, please use our Shopping Shuttle (free transfer at Hempstead Transit Center or Merchants Concourse)

• The n35 will make all scheduled stops between Baldwin and Westbury EXCEPT Roosevelt Field. For service to/from the Mall, please use our Shopping Shuttle (free transfer at Hempstead Transit Center or Merchants Concourse)

• The n43 will make all scheduled stops between NCC and Freeport. For service to/from Roosevelt Field, Zeckendorf Blvd, and Merchants Concourse, please use our Shopping Shuttle (free transfer at NCC)

• The n22 and n24 will make all scheduled stops, but will NOT stop at Roosevelt Field of E. Gate Blvd. For service to/from Roosevelt Field, please use our Shopping Shuttle (free transfer at 1 Old Country Road). No transfer necessary at Roosevelt Field, for further n24/n22 travel east or west along Old Country Road, just stay on the bus.

• The n1 will make all scheduled stops from Elmont Road to Grant Park, buses will NOT stop at Green Acres Mall. For service to/from Green Acres Mall, please transfer to our Shopping Shuttle at the Valley Stream LIRR station.

This might be good idea but it's also bad idea. People going on n15/n43 going to n22/n24 bus have to transfer twice.

Where will n15, n43 will terminate?

I'mguessing n22/n24 bus going to stay on Old Country Rd, but how will n35 and n1 will travel?

Edited by FamousNYLover

8 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

Shopping-Shuttle_Small_2-min.png?ext=.pn

This might be good idea but it's also bad idea. People going on n15/n43 going to n22/n24 bus have to transfer twice.

Where will n15, n43 will terminate?

I'mguessing n22/n24 bus going to stay on Old Country Rd, but how will n35 and n1 will travel?

The website says that the n43 will terminate at NCC rather than go to the Mall. As for the n15, I'm guessing on Stewart Avenue.

The n1 will just continue along Mill Road without entering the mall. I've heard that mall traffic usually slows down the n1 during the peak hours.

IIRC, Roosevelt Field and Green Acres are usually full of traffic because of the holiday shopping, which causes delays on the buses. 

NICE is using smaller cutaway buses to act as shuttles around the malls and help riders who want to go shopping. 

Edited by NY1635

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

The website says that the n43 will terminate at NCC rather than go to the Mall. As for the n15, I'm guessing on Stewart Avenue.

The n1 will just continue along Mill Road without entering the mall. I've heard that mall traffic usually slows down the n1 during the peak hours.

IIRC, Roosevelt Field and Green Acres are usually full of traffic because of the holiday shopping, which causes delays on the buses. 

NICE is using smaller cutaway buses to act as shuttles around the malls and help riders who want to go shopping. 

It not such good idea for people transfering between n15/n35/n43 to n22/n24 and n22/n24 to n15/n35/n43.

Passengers will be angry I'm sure of it.

Why they couldn't send n15 up Clinton Rd to 1 Old Country Rd

n43 to Old Country Rd/Post Av.

17 minutes ago, FamousNYLover said:

It not such good idea for people transfering between n15/n35/n43 to n22/n24 and n22/n24 to n15/n35/n43.

Passengers will be angry I'm sure of it.

Why they couldn't send n15 up Clinton Rd to 1 Old Country Rd

n43 to Old Country Rd/Post Av.

People will just take the n40/41 from HTC to Mineola and catch the n22/24 there.

The core n15 ridership is more concerned with traveling between Hempstead, RVC, and Long Beach than getting to the mall. 

n43 riders want to head to the mall.

This must be the County's doing because they're really adamant about redeveloping area around NCC, Nassau Coliseum, and Roosevelt Field. 

Edited by NY1635

https://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/FasterRide

LEARN ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF BUS STOP REBALANCING

Save between 7 and 10 minutes per trip on average!

To speed up your ride on the n6, NICE is rebalancing local stops, moving and removing stop locations to enhance the rider experience. These changes are anticipated to speed up trips by 7 to 10 minutes on average. Roughly 75 percent of all n6 riders use just 25 out of the 116 local stops currently available on the n6 route. While service standards recommend stops every 1/4 mile, the n6 currently services bus stops less than 1/10 mile apart, slowing down trips on Nassau's busiest corridor. By improving stop placement, we can improve ridership on the n6 for nearly 9,000 passengers daily. Stop rebalancing is anticipated to speed up service on the n6 by 10 percent.

Which stops are being moved or removed?

Stops impacted by the program are noted in the map below, running along Hempstead Turnpike and Fulton Street between Elmont and Frankin Avenue in Hempstead. Riders can identify these stops by customized stop signage at each location, directing them to the nearest available stop. Some n1 stops will also be impacted. 

Throughout October, a route-wide stop analysis survey was completed to identify and investigate stop usage and proposed changes. Want to share thoughts about your specific stop? Riders are invited to leave us a comment on their n6stop by clicking here. Click here to download a full map.

How it is going to speed up my trip?

Buses spend roughly 20% of their time at stops, so reducing the overall number of stops can dramatically speed up trips for all riders, according to TransitCenter, a not-for-profit foundation improving public transportation across the United States.

When bus stops are too close together, they slow down trips and make service less reliable. With 75% of riders using just 25 stops – or 22% of all stops on the route, it was time to look at improving stop placement.

We invite you to visit TransitCenter to learn how bus stop balancing will help to speed up your trip. 

When will the program take effect?

The Bus Stop Balancing program will begin January 5, 2020, with the winter schedule change. The NICE Team is currently working to notify ridership through individual stop sigange, social media and rider handouts. 

How can I find the closest stop to me?

Riders can find the closest available stop viewing the map here. The NICE GOMobile smartphone app is a great tool for location and routing services. The GoMobile App is free to download for iOS and Android phones. Riders are also welcome to call our Transit Information Center at 516-336-6600 for routing information. 

Few observations: 

They did the study in October but the Belmont Racetrack stops (which are getting removed) are mostly used in the spring and summer. (But usage is relatively low overall)

They're removing the Hill Ave stop in Elmont (Eastbound) which is in front of a shopping center. 

Westbound Hilton Ave (which is being removed in Hempstead) is across from a shopping Center also. (Though Terrace Ave and Cathedral Ave serve the same Center).

They're moving the eastbound Locustwood Blvd stop across the street next to the Health Center. (5 stops will be moved overall)

7 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

LEARN ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF BUS STOP REBALANCING

Save between 7 and 10 minutes per trip on average!

To speed up your ride on the n6, NICE is rebalancing local stops, moving and removing stop locations to enhance the rider experience. These changes are anticipated to speed up trips by 7 to 10 minutes on average. Roughly 75 percent of all n6 riders use just 25 out of the 116 local stops currently available on the n6 route. While service standards recommend stops every 1/4 mile, the n6 currently services bus stops less than 1/10 mile apart, slowing down trips on Nassau's busiest corridor. By improving stop placement, we can improve ridership on the n6 for nearly 9,000 passengers daily. Stop rebalancing is anticipated to speed up service on the n6 by 10 percent.

Which stops are being moved or removed?

Stops impacted by the program are noted in the map below, running along Hempstead Turnpike and Fulton Street between Elmont and Frankin Avenue in Hempstead. Riders can identify these stops by customized stop signage at each location, directing them to the nearest available stop. Some n1 stops will also be impacted. 

Throughout October, a route-wide stop analysis survey was completed to identify and investigate stop usage and proposed changes. Want to share thoughts about your specific stop? Riders are invited to leave us a comment on their n6stop by clicking here. Click here to download a full map.

How it is going to speed up my trip?

Buses spend roughly 20% of their time at stops, so reducing the overall number of stops can dramatically speed up trips for all riders, according to TransitCenter, a not-for-profit foundation improving public transportation across the United States.

When bus stops are too close together, they slow down trips and make service less reliable. With 75% of riders using just 25 stops – or 22% of all stops on the route, it was time to look at improving stop placement.

We invite you to visit TransitCenter to learn how bus stop balancing will help to speed up your trip. 

When will the program take effect?

The Bus Stop Balancing program will begin January 5, 2020, with the winter schedule change. The NICE Team is currently working to notify ridership through individual stop sigange, social media and rider handouts. 

How can I find the closest stop to me?

Riders can find the closest available stop viewing the map here. The NICE GOMobile smartphone app is a great tool for location and routing services. The GoMobile App is free to download for iOS and Android phones. Riders are also welcome to call our Transit Information Center at 516-336-6600 for routing information. 

Never thought I would see the day that NICE became slightly more competent than the MTA at something (not that there's a high bar).

Few observations: 

They did the study in October but the Belmont Racetrack stops (which are getting removed) are mostly used in the spring and summer. (But usage is relatively low overall)

They're removing the Hill Ave stop in Elmont (Eastbound) which is in front of a shopping center. 

Westbound Hilton Ave (which is being removed in Hempstead) is across from a shopping Center also. (Though Terrace Ave and Cathedral Ave serve the same Center).

They're moving the eastbound Locustwood Blvd stop across the street next to the Health Center. (5 stops will be moved overall)

IIRC, they acknowledge in a community meetings that traffic and congestion on Hempstead Turnpike was getting bad and that the n6's runtime has gotten longer over the years because of it. They tried Stop Rebalancing on the n40/41 before and found it to be enough of a success to use on the n6. 

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

IIRC, they acknowledge in a community meetings that traffic and congestion on Hempstead Turnpike was getting bad and that the n6's runtime has gotten longer over the years because of it. They tried Stop Rebalancing on the n40/41 before and found it to be enough of a success to use on the n6. 

A lot of that increased traffic congestion is due to recent efforts to improve pedestrian safety through the reduction of speed limits and removal of traffic light synchronization along Hempstead Turnpike, similar to Vision Zero's negative impact on buses in New York City.

Edited by 67thAve

5 hours ago, 67thAve said:

A lot of that increased traffic congestion is due to recent efforts to improve pedestrian safety through the reduction of speed limits and removal of traffic light synchronization along Hempstead Turnpike, similar to Vision Zero's negative impact on buses in New York City.

All the accidents and collisions on Hempstead Turnpike are mostly due to motorists speeding or running a red light in Elmont. It's always the custom ones or some four door sedan that ends up in a horrible wreck. 

13 hours ago, NY1635 said:

12 hours ago, 67thAve said:

I was about to reply similarly. Additionally, I've been on a N6 Limited that went from Elmont Road nonstop to Franklin Ave, can't do THAT anymore.  I've been on Limiteds that went nonstop between EACH stop.  I've had late evening (10:30 ish) N6 trips from Hempstead Terminal that while SRO, went non stop between Terrace Ave and Nassau Blvd, then non stop to Franklin.  

NYSDOT is the cause of the N6's increased running time. Back in the day, the running time was always held back by NYCDOT and the constant red signals in Queens, now it's BOTH agencies. Buses already have a bad rep, having them attacked by red signals certainly decreases ridership. Whenever I'm on a bus that's constantly stationary that makes me question my decision to use the bus in the first place and will think twice next time, usually use an alternative.

6 hours ago, NY1635 said:

All the accidents and collisions on Hempstead Turnpike are mostly due to motorists speeding or running a red light in Elmont. It's always the custom ones or some four door sedan that ends up in a horrible wreck. 

So why slow down the whole road through to Hempstead if it's mostly Elmont?

I was about to reply similarly. Additionally, I've been on a N6 Limited that went from Elmont Road nonstop to Franklin Ave, can't do THAT anymore.  I've been on Limiteds that went nonstop between EACH stop.  I've had late evening (10:30 ish) N6 trips from Hempstead Terminal that while SRO, went non stop between Terrace Ave and Nassau Blvd, then non stop to Franklin.  

NYSDOT is the cause of the N6's increased running time. Back in the day, the running time was always held back by NYCDOT and the constant red signals in Queens, now it's BOTH agencies. Buses already have a bad rep, having them attacked by red signals certainly decreases ridership. Whenever I'm on a bus that's constantly stationary that makes me question my decision to use the bus in the first place and will think twice next time, usually use an alternative.

So why slow down the whole road through to Hempstead if it's mostly Elmont?

Hempstead Turnpike is a state road while Elmont Road/Central Avenue is a county road. 

On 11/23/2019 at 8:53 AM, NY1635 said:

Hempstead Turnpike is a state road while Elmont Road/Central Avenue is a county road. 

Yes, I know. I was asking, if most of the accidents are in Elmont, why did they put most of Hempstead Turnpike's traffic signals (including outside of Elmont) out of sync?

Edited by N6 Limited

16 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, I know. I was asking, if most of the accidents are in Elmont, why did they put most of Hempstead Turnpike's traffic signals (including outside of Elmont) out of sync?

It's all about road safety nowadays. 

I also just remembered that the n6 is the only bus route traveling along Hempstead Turnpike. There's no n2 and n3 to cover for the n6 between NHP/Franklin Avenue and Jamaica anymore.  

Edited by NY1635

12 hours ago, NY1635 said:

It's all about road safety nowadays. 

I also just remembered that the n6 is the only bus route traveling along Hempstead Turnpike. There's no n2 and n3 to cover for the n6 between NHP/Franklin Avenue and Jamaica anymore.  

Yep they got rid of them years ago. Used to be nice to have them as "backup"buses. Always room as opposed to the N6.