NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It's baaack: https://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/FasterRide

Save between 7 and 10 minutes per trip on average! The Bus Stop Balancing program will begin April 5, 2020 with the spring schedule change.

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE:
Starting April 5th, NICE will be running a modified schedule, based on our current Saturday schedules.  Weekday only routes such as the n16 and Shuttles will continue to run Monday-Friday.  Our website schedules and GoMobile app will display these timetables starting April 5th.  For additional details on our modified schedule , please visit the Passenger info section of our website.

• No Jamaica trips on the N1

On 4/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, N6 Limited said:

It's baaack: https://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/FasterRide

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE:
Starting April 5th, NICE will be running a modified schedule, based on our current Saturday schedules.  Weekday only routes such as the n16 and Shuttles will continue to run Monday-Friday.  Our website schedules and GoMobile app will display these timetables starting April 5th.  For additional details on our modified schedule , please visit the Passenger info section of our website.

• No Jamaica trips on the N1

I think NICE Bus need to postpone the faster ride on n1/n6 buses until COVD19 apolocayse is finish because there will be lots of confusion.

Edited by FamousNYLover

On 4/8/2020 at 2:16 PM, FamousNYLover said:

I meant they should postponed to May or June when NY States get back on track since passengers can't currently asked bus drivers at front.

The following changes went into effect

*Express trips eliminated

*n24 recombined with short turns at Roosevelt Field

*n20 considered one route split at Great Neck

*n6 running 15-20 minutes 

*n27 ending at Roosevelt Field

*n70 reduced to a College Shuttle

*n72 being the primary route running between Hempstead and Farmingdale

*n35 running between Baldwin Harbor and Westbury with no stops at NCC or short turns at the transit center

*n16 running 40 minutes between Roosevelt Field and Rockville Center

*n1 running between Hempstead Turnpike/Elmont Road and Broadway/Sheridan

All buses are free

On 4/8/2020 at 2:16 PM, FamousNYLover said:

I meant they should postponed to May or June when NY States get back on track since passengers can't currently asked bus drivers at front.

What does starting this bus stop balancing program in May or June have to do with passengers not being able to stand right next to a b/o to ask them a question?????

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What does starting this bus stop balancing program in May or June have to do with passengers not being able to stand right next to a b/o to ask them a question?????

According to NICE, the n6 has only 9000 riders daily. For comparison, the n4 has 10000 riders. It seems like the  5000 riders came from the Elmont-Franklin Square area off the n1.

Speaking of which, the n1 is now terminating at Hempstead Turnpike and Elmont Road with no peak hour trips to Jamaica.

The n6 gets more people who live off the Hempstead Turnpike between Elmont and Franklin Square. It was SRO because people were using the n6 to Elmont Road and catching the n1 from Jamaica heading to Broadway/Sheridan for stops along Central Avenue north of Merrick Road.

Edited by NY1635

On 4/12/2020 at 1:43 AM, B35 via Church said:

Since customers can't complaint to bus drivers at front if front section is blocked.

NICE was about to establish four new shuttle back in its March 2020 meeting, however it was postponed.

Those new shuttles are

The Port Washington Shuttle (I guess to make it permanent)

The Bethpage Shuttle (n81?)

Oceanside Shuttle (n36 probably)

Merrick Shuttle (n51? or n53? not sure)

https://www.nicebus.com/getattachment/Passenger-Information/Community-Meetings/Title-VI-Feb-2020_FINAL.pdf.aspx

On 4/14/2020 at 2:06 AM, Mtatransit said:

NICE was about to establish four new shuttle back in its March 2020 meeting, however it was postponed.

Those new shuttles are

The Port Washington Shuttle (I guess to make it permanent)

The Bethpage Shuttle (n81?)

Oceanside Shuttle (n36 probably)

Merrick Shuttle (n51? or n53? not sure)

https://www.nicebus.com/getattachment/Passenger-Information/Community-Meetings/Title-VI-Feb-2020_FINAL.pdf.aspx

The Covid-19 changed everything. NICE knows who rides the buses. If anything, the Covid-19 pretty much made LIRR riders and pro-car people take the bus.

NICE is upfront about funneling people in and out of Hempstead and Hicksville before sunset because city residents don't want to stay went night hits. We have possums and raccoons and dears that are far worse than the homeless that lay on the subway. 

There's no capacity at Lynbrook for the n36 as the n25 is now terminating at the Station Plaza off Broadway and Atlantic Avenue with n31/32 going thru. They would have to extend it somewhere west. 

NCC is closed for the semester, which renders the n51 obsolete. If they were to bring it back, ridership on the n51 would just end just south of the RXR Plaza. 

I feel like the biggest problem with the n51 and n24 is that they serve RXR while ignoring the biggest trip generator in East Meadow: NUMC and Nassau Correctional Facility and Family Court on Carman Avenue. The n51 doesn't need RXR Plaza because NCC redid their parking lot so that all buses enter at Charles Lindbergh while the n24 just serves Family Court while skipping NUMC. The n24 to East Meadow would get a lot of people who want to get into Queens without transferring to the n6 at Hempstead, or catching the same n22/24 at Roosevelt Field. The one good thing NICE did was get rid of the Transfers at East Gate Blvd, freeing it up for people who want to shop in Westbury to avoid dodging cars on Roosevelt Field. 

Sometimes I wish that the MTA did the same thing with the Q24/54/56, or the Q111/113/114/110 in Jamaica: One stops at Sutphin while the other 2 go to Hillside. Jamaica Center isn't really a good hub to the point that I would rather send the n4 over to Sutphin rather than have people wait at 150th for the n4. It doesn't make for good optics when the n4 out of service is ready to get back into service as it enters the bay while the Q5/85, is just taking a break at the bays. Queens Residents think the NICE bus is faster because it's often ready to go and get out and doesn't slow down. 

The n24 is the exception cause it always feels like the B/Os know Jericho is prone to traffic and would rather enjoy the slow ride into the city from Hicksville to Jamaica.

9 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The Covid-19 changed everything. NICE knows who rides the buses. If anything, the Covid-19 pretty much made LIRR riders and pro-car people take the bus.

NICE is upfront about funneling people in and out of Hempstead and Hicksville before sunset because city residents don't want to stay went night hits. We have possums and raccoons and dears that are far worse than the homeless that lay on the subway. 

There's no capacity at Lynbrook for the n36 as the n25 is now terminating at the Station Plaza off Broadway and Atlantic Avenue with n31/32 going thru. They would have to extend it somewhere west. 

NCC is closed for the semester, which renders the n51 obsolete. If they were to bring it back, ridership on the n51 would just end just south of the RXR Plaza. 

I feel like the biggest problem with the n51 and n24 is that they serve RXR while ignoring the biggest trip generator in East Meadow: NUMC and Nassau Correctional Facility and Family Court on Carman Avenue. The n51 doesn't need RXR Plaza because NCC redid their parking lot so that all buses enter at Charles Lindbergh while the n24 just serves Family Court while skipping NUMC. The n24 to East Meadow would get a lot of people who want to get into Queens without transferring to the n6 at Hempstead, or catching the same n22/24 at Roosevelt Field. The one good thing NICE did was get rid of the Transfers at East Gate Blvd, freeing it up for people who want to shop in Westbury to avoid dodging cars on Roosevelt Field. 

Sometimes I wish that the MTA did the same thing with the Q24/54/56, or the Q111/113/114/110 in Jamaica: One stops at Sutphin while the other 2 go to Hillside. Jamaica Center isn't really a good hub to the point that I would rather send the n4 over to Sutphin rather than have people wait at 150th for the n4. It doesn't make for good optics when the n4 out of service is ready to get back into service as it enters the bay while the Q5/85, is just taking a break at the bays. Queens Residents think the NICE bus is faster because it's often ready to go and get out and doesn't slow down. 

The n24 is the exception cause it always feels like the B/Os know Jericho is prone to traffic and would rather enjoy the slow ride into the city from Hicksville to Jamaica.

If the N36 is brought back, which I don’t think it will be, how would it not have room in Lynbrook? Prior to elimination it ran every 70 minutes on weekdays and every 60 minutes on Saturday. Plus this is NICE. The layover in Lynbrook or Freeport would be so minimal. 

The N24 hasn’t served East Meadow in years, so I don’t know why you mention it when talking about the N51. Also Nassau County Corrential Center and Nassau University Medical Center are too far out of the way for any restored N51 via Merrick Ave.

I’m also going to put my comments on the shuttles in the random thoughts thread, since they are more proposal that actual service change.

4 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

If the N36 is brought back, which I don’t think it will be, how would it not have room in Lynbrook? Prior to elimination it ran every 70 minutes on weekdays and every 60 minutes on Saturday. Plus this is NICE. The layover in Lynbrook or Freeport would be so minimal. 

The N24 hasn’t served East Meadow in years, so I don’t know why you mention it when talking about the N51. Also Nassau County Corrential Center and Nassau University Medical Center are too far out of the way for any restored N51 via Merrick Ave.

I’m also going to put my comments on the shuttles in the random thoughts thread, since they are more proposal that actual service change.

I wouldn't say they are a proposal. NICE was about to implement these shuttles as part of the April service change. I still think these shuttles are still in NICE's mind

15 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Save the N36 group really want their n36 bus.

12 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

NICE really wants to bring the N36 back. They're more concrete about using 30ft buses for the route as opposed to 40ft buses. The N25 is no longer laying over at Broadway and Langdon, it, lays over at the Station Plaza. That's what I meant.

I bought up the n24 and n51 because the biggest trip generator in East Meadow is Nassau University Medical Center and Nassau County Correctional Center. The problem with both routes is that NCC once again changed the way buses enter/exit the campus. It's now enter at Charles Lindbergh in Both Directions, serve Student Union, Bradley Hall/Bookstore, the Endo Loop (That's what they call it now), and exit on Endo Blvd. Most Old Maps I found shows the N51 staying on Merrick till Stewart Avenue, then traveling west on Stewart to enter Roosevelt Field. 

Both aren't too far out. Far out in East Meadow would be going all the way to Newbridge just to serve the shopping centers.

Edited by NY1635

On 4/20/2020 at 4:23 PM, N6 Limited said:

How?

LIRR ridership has dropped following the Covid-19 Outbreak and Nassau is one big health hub. All the Health Care Workers go to Mercy Medical, LIJ, North Shore University Hospital, Winthrop, South Nassau Hospital, St. Johns Hospital out on Far Rockaway and all the other Care Centers spread out on Nassau and Suffolk

10 hours ago, NY1635 said:

LIRR ridership has dropped following the Covid-19 Outbreak and Nassau is one big health hub. All the Health Care Workers go to Mercy Medical, LIJ, North Shore University Hospital, Winthrop, South Nassau Hospital, St. Johns Hospital out on Far Rockaway and all the other Care Centers spread out on Nassau and Suffolk

That doesn't even amount to being a correlation.

6 hours ago, Lex said:

That doesn't even amount to being a correlation.

Dude didn't even answer the question...

16 hours ago, NY1635 said:

You were asked How did Covid-19 displace LIRR users & "pro-car" people into taking buses....

Your response to that was to run off a list of Nassau county hospitals...

Who the f*** is gonna give up taking the LIRR or abandoning the confines of their own vehicle, to be huddled up onto a tightly packed bus in these conditions?? You talk stupid.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:47 AM, B35 via Church said:

Dude didn't even answer the question...

You were asked How did Covid-19 displace LIRR users & "pro-car" people into taking buses....

Your response to that was to run off a list of Nassau county hospitals...

Who the f*** is gonna give up taking the LIRR or abandoning the confines of their own vehicle, to be huddled up onto a tightly packed bus in these conditions?? You talk stupid.

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-covid-19-long-island-new-york-1.44204015

It's complicated in that Nassau's about to Re Open but we're unsure about New York City

The Govenor's and Mayor's handling of the Covid-19 makes it really hard to offer a concrete answer. 

NICE can't really operate full service without the approval of the County Executive or County Legislators and Transit Committee. It's that organized.

Edited by NY1635

23 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-covid-19-long-island-new-york-1.44204015

It's complicated in that Nassau's about to Re Open but we're unsure about New York City

The Govenor's and Mayor's handling of the Covid-19 makes it really hard to offer a concrete answer. 

NICE can't really operate full service without the approval of the County Executive or County Legislators and Transit Committee. It's that organized.

....and water is wet.