NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

NICE is adding a new pilot route, the n75 between Hempstead and Uniondale via Peninsula Blvd/Hempstead HS, weekday rush hours only.

n70-12-21-22.pdf

Surprised they have enough funding to create an entirely new route. Always thought the Nassau County bus system got crumbs from Nassau County in terms of funding that they barely have enough funding to run the routes they already have. 

To be honest the n75 looks like it is designed as a school tripper for Hempstead HS to reach other part of Mineola that just happen to fill some gap between the other n70s for those want to travel from RXR to Hempstead

On a unrelated note, I think they needed some sort of short turn n54/55 service. Most ridership got off going to Sunrise at or before Uniondale Avenue each time I took it.

Edited by Mtatransit

15 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

To be honest the n75 looks like it is designed as a school tripper for Hempstead HS to reach other part of Mineola that just happen to fill some gap between the other n70s for those want to travel from RXR to Hempstead

On a unrelated note, I think they needed some sort of short turn n54/55 service. Most ridership got off going to Sunrise at or before Uniondale Avenue each time I took it.

There's been a certain demand for service along Peninsula since back in the LIB days... Whether that demand still exists for it to this day, I have no clue..... While it's possible that this pilot is ultimately meant to be a tripper, I'm not so sure that it is (especially given that the thing is to essentially be a loop; take a look at the schedule).... I think this is their way of creating a short turn along Hempstead Tpke, with the attempt to bring some Hempstead patrons south of HTC & the Hempstead Tpke. corridor to them (HTC & the Hempstead Tpke. corridor) in the process.... I can see something like this working, although I think the envelope should be pushed a little to NUMC...

You're right that the lion's share of the n54's/55's ridership is b/w Uniondale & Hempstead, but that doesn't necessarily mean it needs a short turn.... I would argue there's far more of a need to have the thing continue to have all trips provide the coverage that it does in that southeastern part of the county... South of Hempstead Tpke & east of Unondale, all you have is service on Jerusalem & service along Merrick rd (which is only the case on weekdays w/ the n19) as far as east-west service goes - That, with no real semblance of north-south service in that aforementioned pocket before you hit the n80.... I don't think NICE can afford to cut current trips short along Jerusalem... Now if the notion is that service should be added along Jerusalem for that purpose, that's another discussion.... That would speak more to insufficient service in terms of frequency, since Jerusalem isn't really plagued with traffic to where it significantly affects current n54/55 service as far as runtime is concerned....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 12/23/2022 at 1:48 AM, Mtatransit said:

Thats Exactly what it is!

and the N54/55 don't need a shirt turn. a lot of the ridership goes to Walmart. then after Walmart there's people that get on further down the line to go to the malls on sunrise highway...... maybe thats how its flow the time im operating it

On 12/23/2022 at 5:20 PM, B35 via Church said:

You're right that the lion's share of the n54's/55's ridership is b/w Uniondale & Hempstead, but that doesn't necessarily mean it needs a short turn.... I would argue there's far more of a need to have the thing continue to have all trips provide the coverage that it does in that southeastern part of the county... South of Hempstead Tpke & east of Unondale, all you have is service on Jerusalem & service along Merrick rd (which is only the case on weekdays w/ the n19) as far as east-west service goes - That, with no real semblance of north-south service in that aforementioned pocket before you hit the n80.... I don't think NICE can afford to cut current trips short along Jerusalem... Now if the notion is that service should be added along Jerusalem for that purpose, that's another discussion.... That would speak more to insufficient service in terms of frequency, since Jerusalem isn't really plagued with traffic to where it significantly affects current n54/55 service as far as runtime is concerned....

Yep adding more short turns is exactly what I was thinking of. n54/55 runs a full seated load out of Hempstead and like @I Run Trains mentioned, once you get past that Walmart, Shoprite. As for the service to Sunrise, I agree we definitely need to preserve that, as coverage, though I believe the n19 has more potential in terms of ridership in that general area, but NICE completely destroyed the entire route with their cuts

2 hours ago, I Run Trains said:

and the N54/55 don't need a shirt turn. a lot of the ridership goes to Walmart. then after Walmart there's people that get on further down the line to go to the malls on sunrise highway...... maybe thats how its flow the time im operating it

I think the ridership traveling along Sunrise Highway, and to the Sunrise Mall is pretty much gone now. Not sure if that thing picks up more ridership now that it is going back to Amityville, but once you get past the Walmart in Uniondale, it usually doesn't pick up anyone, with small pockets of ridership here and there

Edited by Mtatransit

3 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Yep adding more short turns is exactly what I was thinking of. n54/55 runs a full seated load out of Hempstead and like @I Run Trains mentioned, once you get past that Walmart, Shoprite. As for the service to Sunrise, I agree we definitely need to preserve that, as coverage, though I believe the n19 has more potential in terms of ridership in that general area, but NICE completely destroyed the entire route with their cuts

I think the ridership traveling along Sunrise Highway, and to the Sunrise Mall is pretty much gone now. Not sure if that thing picks up more ridership now that it is going back to Amityville, but once you get past the Walmart in Uniondale, it usually doesn't pick up anyone, with small pockets of ridership here and there

one again.. im telling you off experience of being a bus operator working that line at least once a week, there are times where it can pick up! Thats a weird line. 

there's definitely ridership on the Sunrise Highway side. But after that its lite until Jerusalem.. 

I work it on Saturday so its Lite but when Ive done it rush hour a few times it was enough ridership on it, but it coulda been that day. other than that, the 55/54 is a sweet run

29 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I don't agree that the n54/55 needs short turns, nor do I think insufficient frequency is a real issue with it.... It's expected to have segment{s} of a bus route that carry heavier than other segments... You say adding more short turns is what you were thinking of, but IDK how frequent you think n54/55 service should even be b/w Hempstead & Uniondale... When I mention coverage, to be clear, I'm not just talking about service specifically to Sunrise... I'm talking about everything between Uniondale & Sunrise Mall also....

At this point, I can't say the n19 has more potential than the n54/55... Decreased service levels played a role in the waning demand for the thing, but something else that definitely hurt n19 ridership is the fact that it literally doesn't garner any turnover from other routes b/w their end terminals.... Putting that another way, even though Merrick rd. is more commercial, I'd go as far as to say that the n19 was more reliant on xfers off other routes than the n54/55.... Not saying that you're saying otherwise, but I still want to make the point - n54/55 patronage significantly trumps n19 patronage.... n19 nowadays is too reliant on ppl. xferring to it off the other Freeport routes (n4, 40/41, 43).... It is disgusting how far that route has fallen.

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't agree that the n54/55 needs short turns, nor do I think insufficient frequency is a real issue with it.... It's expected to have segment{s} of a bus route that carry heavier than other segments... You say adding more short turns is what you were thinking of, but IDK how frequent you think n54/55 service should even be b/w Hempstead & Uniondale... When I mention coverage, to be clear, I'm not just talking about service specifically to Sunrise... I'm talking about everything between Uniondale & Sunrise Mall also....

At this point, I can't say the n19 has more potential than the n54/55... Decreased service levels played a role in the waning demand for the thing, but something else that definitely hurt n19 ridership is the fact that it literally doesn't garner any turnover from other routes b/w their end terminals.... Putting that another way, even though Merrick rd. is more commercial, I'd go as far as to say that the n19 was more reliant on xfers off other routes than the n54/55.... Not saying that you're saying otherwise, but I still want to make the point - n54/55 patronage significantly trumps n19 patronage.... n19 nowadays is too reliant on ppl. xferring to it off the other Freeport routes (n4, 40/41, 43).... It is disgusting how far that route has fallen.

On Saturday/Sunday, I was thinking hourly service to Sunrise/Amityville, and every 30 minutes to Uniondale, so every other bus. While it would be a service decrease on Saturday east of Uniondale on Saturday, it would be a increase on Sunday. Not sure if the n54/55 designation matters if we do run this type of service as both Washington Avenue and North Broadway does not carry that much so it can serve either one.

On weekday when service runs every 25 min, I agree with everyone that all trips run to Sunrise/Amityville

The problem with the n19, in my experience is that it is very "freeport focused". I'm not even sure there is that much demand from the sunrise end of things. Most ridership comes from Freeport. The problem I think is that the communities along the route, Bellmore, Wantagh, etc stopped utilizing the bus over time.  NICE, with the last round of service reductions was just the last straw. Hard to believe this line under LIB ran every 15 minutes during some AM time period

• 4 months later...

NICE changes starting May 28th

https://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Now

Notable Changes 

n6X - Stop Reductions

• 179th Street (F) Station Stop will now only be served by Hempstead-bound buses; Jamaica-bound buses will run express to 169th Street (F) station instead
  • The Hempstead-bound stop at Hillside Avenue & Francis Lewis Boulevard will be discontinued

n22X - Trips Eliminated and Many Trips Truncated to/from Roosevelt Field Mall

• The 5:30 AM, 2:09 PM and 2:35 PM trips from Hicksville will be discontinued
  • The 6:48 AM, 3:45 PM, and 4:15 PM trips from Jamaica will be discontinued
  • The 6:44 AM, 7:47 AM and 3:00 PM trips from Hicksville will now start at Roosevelt Field Mall 
  • The 8:15 AM, 9:15 AM, and 6:45 PM trips from Jamaica will now end at Roosevelt Field Mall
  • ~45 to 60 minutes headways in the AM between Hicksville and RFM from 7:06 AM (WB) and 7:57 AM (EB)

n75 - Pilot program Appears to End

• No notice of a temporary suspension, like the n16X suspension notice (for the summer) 

n88/n88X - Route Relabeled

• The n88 will be labeled as n88X
  • Trips to/from Hempstead return on weekends, making no stops between HTC and Freeport LIRR

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2022 at 2:15 AM, Mtatransit said:

The problem with the n19, in my experience is that it is very "freeport focused". I'm not even sure there is that much demand from the sunrise end of things. Most ridership comes from Freeport. The problem I think is that the communities along the route, Bellmore, Wantagh, etc stopped utilizing the bus over time.  NICE, with the last round of service reductions was just the last straw. Hard to believe this line under LIB ran every 15 minutes during some AM time period

At this point, it should be Freeport focused -  but in its current state, it's been reduced to a mere coverage route.

On 5/13/2023 at 4:03 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

n22X - Trips Eliminated and Many Trips Truncated to/from Roosevelt Field Mall

• The 5:30 AM, 2:09 PM and 2:35 PM trips from Hicksville will be discontinued
  • The 6:48 AM, 3:45 PM, and 4:15 PM trips from Jamaica will be discontinued
  • The 6:44 AM, 7:47 AM and 3:00 PM trips from Hicksville will now start at Roosevelt Field Mall 
  • The 8:15 AM, 9:15 AM, and 6:45 PM trips from Jamaica will now end at Roosevelt Field Mall
  • ~45 to 60 minutes headways in the AM between Hicksville and RFM from 7:06 AM (WB) and 7:57 AM (EB)

SMH at the whole, hanging on to serving Hicksville bit.... Just have the thing run b/w RFM & Jamaica, only stopping at RFM, the Country Glen shopping center (the next stop after RFM, at Glen Cove rd), Mineola Terminal, NHP rd., then current stops to 165th....

The problem with this rendition of the n22x is that it operates too separately from the n22 local, to its own detriment... Putting that another way, there's not much of an incentivization to lure folks away from taking n22 locals, into taking it (the n22x).... Folks just take whatever the heck comes first, which is usually an n22 local.... You won't notice much specific waiting for the n22x over the n22 local....  I mean, the whole, running nonstop b/w Hicksville & RFM (while eye-catching on paper & sounding nice in a vacuum) doesn't benefit a whole heap of riders.... The n22x east of RFM actually screws most n22 local AND n24 riders, as that's where the ridership is at.... There is more of that intermediate ridership on that eastern split of the n24 seeking RFM than are seeking Hicksville.... Hicksville, from as far west as Jamaica (hell, even within Nassau county in the more western part of the county), simply isn't near as big a destination nowadays.... There's no more of a need to maintain a service running b/w Hicksville & Jamaica on this n22x, as that of having had n22 locals run between those 2 points for most of the day (hence the split)..... All of this is why you have most of these n22x trips carrying relatively light....

To compare it to other express variants in the county, you definitely see [more of a gunning for the n4x over the n4 local] & [more of a gunning for the n6x over the n6] (even with this bastardized version of a skip-stop variant of the n6... should've left the old n6L alone, but whatever) ... Compare both of those routes/corridors' ridership habits to that of the dynamic between the n22x & the n22 and it is flat out like night & day....

With the splits of both the n22 & the n24 locals, I'd go as far as to say there's no real need for an n22x variant anymore.... Which begs the question - who exactly is the target riderbase with these n22x's east of RFM??? The fact that the current n22x literally does nothing for n22 local riders b/w Hicksville & RFM (both, not inclusive) speaks for itself..... I'd personally like to see a (reverse) peak n24x variant (AM towards RFM, PM towards Jamaica), as those n24's are absolutely slammed & heavily delayed on top of it....

Edited by B35 via Church

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 9:14 AM, B35 via Church said:

With the splits of both the n22 & the n24 locals, I'd go as far as to say there's no real need for an n22x variant anymore.... Which begs the question - who exactly is the target riderbase with these n22x's east of RFM??? The fact that the current n22x literally does nothing for n22 local riders b/w Hicksville & RFM (both, not inclusive) speaks for itself..... I'd personally like to see a (reverse) peak n24x variant (AM towards RFM, PM towards Jamaica), as those n24's are absolutely slammed & heavily delayed on top of it....

NICE went too far in trying to attract the LIRR ridership base with this express concept. It seems obvious, NICE is primarily aiming this service to be fast for (F) train riders to compete with the LIRR. It isn't the first time too, with the botched 2012 n6x change

It would help if the n22x would start making stops along OC road east of RF Mall up to where the old Source Mall was to serve the numerous shopping areas in that area. Running it non-stop from Hicksville does no favors to people coming from Mineola, Queens nor Hicksville who could've benefited from this limited direct service to these shopping destinations, which they lost with the split of the n24 (which sometimes doesn't even time well with each other)

I agree, If NICE would stop trying to compete with the LIRR, the n24x would be a more suitable candidate for a limited stop service, to speed up service along Jericho in Floral Park, NHP. You could still extend to serve Hicksville and RFM. Would perhaps even keep it on Herricks Road, so it would skip Mineola Blvd/Willis Ave for these express trips

• 1 month later...

**#NICEAlert**

Service changes for the fall schedules:

- n16X **Express** to Nassau Community College returns for the fall semester, service will now operate every 20 minutes

- New **n20X Express** service will operate between Flushing and Roslyn during rush hours, all trips will skip Great Neck LIRR

- n21 will now have midday frequency

- n22 will have service every 15 minutes all day between Jamaica and Mineola

- n25/58 service improved to every 15 minutes 

- n27 service improved to every 30 minutes

- All n15 trips going via County Seat Drive will now terminate at Mineola Intermodal Center

- For the first time in history, the n70 will operate on **weekends** between Hempstead and Farmingdale State College, ALL n72 weekend trips have been cut, the early morning and late night trips on weekdays will remain unchanged

- All n71 trips on weekends will now operate between Farmingdale State College and **Amityville LIRR Station**. 

- All n22X **Express** trips will no longer start and end at Hicksville, they will now start and end at Roosevelt Field Mall

3 hours ago, Sylveon said:

**#NICEAlert**

- n16X **Express** to Nassau Community College returns for the fall semester, service will now operate every 20 minutes

- New **n20X Express** service will operate between Flushing and Roslyn during rush hours, all trips will skip Great Neck LIRR

Honestly they can just run it all local from Roslyn Clock Tower to Flushing skipping Great Neck and that would be fine. That n20g/h split is a disaster and really reduced ridership east of Great Neck. I think they are running it every 30 minutes from 5:55am to 8:55am and 3 hours PM with a split shift

The Hicksville portion could probably use a better schedule every day as well, probably every 15 min weekday, every 20 minutes Sat/Sun

Back to the LIB days frequency I see

- All n15 trips going via County Seat Drive will now terminate at Mineola Intermodal Center

Does it really have to be n15 at this point, might as well add a couple of n40/41 and run them up via County Seat

- For the first time in history, the n70 will operate on **weekends** between Hempstead and Farmingdale State College, ALL n72 weekend trips have been cut, the early morning and late night trips on weekdays will remain unchanged

- All n71 trips on weekends will now operate between Farmingdale State College and **Amityville LIRR Station**. 

What is weird is that the weekday trips still terminate at Sunrise Mall.

So literally they cut all the n72s and n71 along Hempstead Tpk on weekend, and want to run a shuttle n71S Farmingdale to Amityville every hour. I don't understand. What is it serving that the S1 is not?

- All n22X **Express** trips will no longer start and end at Hicksville, they will now start and end at Roosevelt Field Mall

Not a surprise, they didn't really serve much east of Roosevelt Field anyways. I would've at least made the local stop along Old County Rd to better connect the shopping areas

Reply is in bold,

Overall an improvement in the schedule, I am just confused why they bother running the n71S

Some of these I've mentioned/suggested on this forum.... Guess I can say, you're welcome?? But yeah, they should've been dropped the n72 notation, n15 County Seat Drive trips to Mineola (instead of to RFM) simply makes sense to me from a runtime & a usage standpoint (although I would have some select n40/41 trips divert to serve County Seat instead, to have the current n15's that serve County Seat end at Hempstead... don't really need n15's & n40/41's running b/w Hempstead & Mineola), and those n22x's b/w Hicksville & RFM carried way too much air, as it was a blatant disservice to Westbury & New Cassel patrons on the n22....

As for some of these other changes, running n71's b/w Farmingdale Coll. & LIRR Amityville is going to bomb (although I do like the forward thinking here.... this appears to be some sort of pilot/setup for when Sunrise completely closes)... Running the Jones Beach service all the way to October 1st (not listed in the initial post on here) I'm not so sure it's worth it.... Given the way they split the n22/n24, while increasing n22 service is good for those folks (Jamaica-Mineola), they gotta do something with those n24's towards Jamaica bunching in the morning.... With the n20X rush hour addition & the n21 midday service addition, that could spawn a future scenario where they have n20H's stopping dead at Roslyn when n20x's are in operation.... Lastly, while noble, I think it may be a day late & a dollar short with increasing n27 service.... When they made the detrimental changes that they did to the n27, a lot of that patronage flat out evaporated...

Edited by B35 via Church

I always hope when I see NICE making service adjustments that they would increase n4 service because it has the 2nd highest ridership in the entire county but not enough service. Take a ride on that route during the PM Rush & evening hours and most buses are crowded and it’s even worst with the amount of buses with busted A/C. What they need to do is having some of those old Rockville Centre short turns returns so not every bus is going out to Freeport. 

n20:

I knew at some point they would introduce an n20x route but I wonder what that would that mean for the n20H. Does anyone think the n20X should run all the way to Hicksville? I haven’t been on the n20H since 2021 so I don’t know how the ridership to Hicksville. I think there is too much service on Northern Blvd east of Great Neck with the n20H, n20X and n21. 

n22x:

I would honestly have the n22x run express between Jamaica and RFM and then have it run the regular n22 route to Hicksville while the regular n22 from Jamaica gets extended to RFM. 

n70/71/72:

I’m a bit confused about the n71. Is all of its service from Hempstead being eliminated in favor of just having the n70 be the main route? 

17 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I always hope when I see NICE making service adjustments that they would increase n4 service because it has the 2nd highest ridership in the entire county but not enough service. Take a ride on that route during the PM Rush & evening hours and most buses are crowded and it’s even worst with the amount of buses with busted A/C. What they need to do is having some of those old Rockville Centre short turns returns so not every bus is going out to Freeport. 

n20:

I knew at some point they would introduce an n20x route but I wonder what that would that mean for the n20H. Does anyone think the n20X should run all the way to Hicksville? I haven’t been on the n20H since 2021 so I don’t know how the ridership to Hicksville. I think there is too much service on Northern Blvd east of Great Neck with the n20H, n20X and n21. 

n22x:

I would honestly have the n22x run express between Jamaica and RFM and then have it run the regular n22 route to Hicksville while the regular n22 from Jamaica gets extended to RFM. 

n70/71/72:

I’m a bit confused about the n71. Is all of its service from Hempstead being eliminated in favor of just having the n70 be the main route? 

n20, historically the corridor east of Great Neck could handle the frequencies as it was an extremely busy corridor. But ridership took a deep dive when NICE split the service. For now it’s only 12 trips a day every half an hour AM and PM so no big effect 

n70/71/72: Only on weekends, yes. All Hempstead Tpk service will be n70 Farmingdale State to Hempstead, with once an hour n71S trip to Amityville from Farmingdale State

I doubt the schedule will time with the SCT pulse at Amityville though

n22: The whole point of the split at Mineola I feel like was that NICE was trying to save on duplications of schedules along OCR bet Mineola and RFM between n24/22 and select n15. otherwise it would make total sense to extend to RFM, instead off forcing everyone onto the n24

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Agreed... There are too many trips running out to Freeport

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

n20:

Absolutely not.

When the n20 was one route (including the old n20L), it simply saw more riders (from Queens) riding past Roslyn.... That ridership isn't coming back... Broadway Mall's hanging on by a thread, you're not going to see anywhere near the amt. of students on NICE buses at any of the colleges (SUNY Old Westbury, LIU Post, NYIT - LI campus)....

.....that, and never mind the fact that Hicksville in & of itself saw a massive demographic shift b/w 2010 & 2020 (used to be like 70% White & 7-8% Asian or something like that, now it's around 50% White & 30% Asian last I saw... In case you don't know, the vast majority of those Asians out there are Indian)... That was around the time when businesses were closing left & right out there..... Anyway, not that it was ever super high or anything, but still, there were simply more White people in general that used to utilize NICE buses in Hicksville, than those Indians out there are doing now - and by no means do I see that changing if an n20X were to run out there.... The route they use the most is probably equally split b/w the (n78/79) & the n80, and each of their patronages of them are LOOOOOOWWWW....

All that aside, it's a miracle that NICE even runs as many total n20H trips during the day that they do.

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

n22x:

Yeah, there's a small consensus on here that says that the (western split of the) n22 should be the one going to RFM, while the n24 should be the one ending at Mineola...

What you're saying with how you'd run the n22x, is how the n22x previously ran in the prior rendition of the thing (as in, how the n22x ran, before they came out with this nonstop BS between RFM & Hicksville via OCR).... At this point, I'd just run the n22x b/w Jamaica & RFM & provide more service on the eastern split of the n22....

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

n20:

n22x:

n70/71/72:

no. the n71 is well weird, it's gonna operate 2 routes:

Weekdays: Currently as it is

Weekends: Farmingdale to Amityville 

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Mtatransit To my understanding it will run between Farmingdale State College and Amityville via Carmans Road.

Not sure about the routing, because if they ran it down Rt110 it would be a massive waste

They only gave it 20-25minutes run time which I am not sure is enough to go down Carmans Rd through Sunrise though. If they do try to go via Sunrise with that run time, that will be a very tight schedule