WMATA 7000 Series Begin To Take Shape

WMATA

I have to say, that disco ball logo on the side looks rather tacky. I'm still looking forward to the new amenities that you guys have had for the past 10 years on your NTTs, though. The devastating earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan last year has delayed the production schedule by 5 months, but it's nice to see some progress.

tn.jpg

Unsuck DC Metro: 7000-series Cars begin to Take Shape

And WMATA brings back disco the transit way :P That shell looks nice, I trust it will be awesomeness like every other Kawasaki product out there. Reminds me of 75 foot R42s. Lol. MARTA should look into buying these cars as well since MARTA is based of the D.C. System.

• 3 weeks later...

A full scale model has already been produced by Kawasaki at their plant in Japan. At the 3 second mark, you get to see a nice still shot of the exterior. I really love the look of the bonnet.

I hate to say it and I'm a big fan of the WMATA, but its an R160 ripoff.

That's not a bad thing. Kawasaki's latest heavy rail projects seem to mirror each other in terms of their external designs.

Tease:

Clip you posted above:

B-Roll:

Thank you, SBJ. I hadn't seen that third clip until now. That wasn't you, was it? ;)

That's not a bad thing. Kawasaki's latest heavy rail projects seem to mirror each other in terms of their external designs.

You made a good point. They've also saved a lot of $$ due to the similar designs.

WMATA

Thank you, SBJ. I hadn't seen that third clip until now.

You are welcome

That wasn't you, was it?

I wish. I can barely afford the fare to cross the bridge.

Princelex

Those are some fly looking cars. I love how modern these cars are. I think that the similarities of the 7000 cars to the R160's is a major compliment to how great those cars are.

These cars are structurally more akin to the stuff Pullman Standard and Budd were building 40 plus years ago then to the stuff Rohr, Breda CAF and Alstom has built for WMATA over the last 38 years. The only similarity I see is the cab end cap. The layout of the sides of the cars are almost identical to the car in the existing fleet.

Silly question, John, but do you know if Metro has ever done burn testing on the main line? With the new automated station announcements and LCD destination panels, you'd think they would want to check the accuracy of everything by testing the new cars outside of Greenbelt.

WMATA

Silly question, John, but do you know if Metro has ever done burn testing on the main line? With the new automated station announcements and LCD destination panels, you'd think they would want to check the accuracy of everything by testing the new cars outside of Greenbelt.

As part of acceptance testing all trains are run on the main line. Don't know if burning in the automated station announcements by running on the main line will be necessary. The station announcements are set by train number and destination code and triggered by program station stop.

Train number groups are exclusive to a given terminal pair along a line.

100s Glenmont - Shady Grove

200s Grosvenor - Silver Spring

300s Mount Vernon Square - Huntington

400s Springfield-Franconia - Largo Town Center

500s Greenbelt - Branch Avenue

900s Vienna - New Carrollton

Don't know about the 600s 700s or 800s, best guess is:

600s Fort Totten - Huntington

700s Springfield-Franconia - Mount Vernon Square / Fort Totten / Greenbelt

800s Wiehle Avenue / Dulles Airport / Ashburn - Stadiun-Armory / New Carrollton / Largo Town Center

###

15 Pictures of the 7k car at WMATA's MetroForward Flicker photostream.

I'm lovin it. But I prefer the old interior; this one looks like there are fewer seats.

WMATA looked at the New York subway system and considered bench seating. Their focus seems to have changed to capacity instead of comfort. But rides tend to be longer on WMATA than the NY subway system. Most riders tend to go downtown. It's completely different in New York.

Archived