Trainspotter

Subway Series doubleheader trek is twice the fun for Newser

BY OREN YANIV

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

June 28th 2008

[float=right]amd_yaniv-shea.jpg

Keivom/News

Oren Yaniv in front of Shea Stadium.

[/float]Twice the baseball, twice the fun.

That's what it was like in Friday's double-borough, double-stadium doubleheader between the Yankees and the Mets - the last chance to watch both New York teams play each other twice in the final year of Shea and Yankee Stadiums.

It was a long summer day into a warm night - but it was sure worth it.

Yankee Stadium was filled with just under 55,000 fans - many of them, it appeared, were rooting for the Bombers' crosstown rivals.

It was not uncommon to spot pairs of supporters with decidedly unmatching team jerseys.

There were Danny Shamsudin, 27, and Liz Diamond; him with a T-shirt bearing the name of the Mets shortstop, Jose Reyes, and her with a top saluting his Yankee counterpart Derek Jeter.

"This is one game I will remember," said Diamond, a season-ticket holder.

Shamsudin had some theories about the difference between the two ballparks: "Here it is more corporate. Shea is more fan-friendly. More music and dancing."

As the Amazin' Mets broke the game open in the sixth inning with a Carlos Delgado grand slam, the many non-Yankee fans in attendance made themselves heard, punctuating the fact this was not just another ballgame.

Instead of the usual somber silence that reigns in such occasions, The House That Ruth Built filled with cheers and even a few "Let's Go Mets" chants.

Too bad I root for the Yanks.

But wait, salvation would be only two hours away.

The game lasted just under four hours, till about 6 p.m., with the nightcap scheduled for 8:10p.m.

Now for the tricky part - making it across the East River in time.

Subway Series or not, I decided to brave the evening rush and drive to Queens.

The blowout nature of the 15-6 laugher that was Game 1 sent many fans home early, making leaving the Bronx fairly easy.

Traffic was moving slowly, but moving nonetheless.

When the clock hit 7 p.m., I was parked outside Big Shea ready to resume the baseball excitement.

To my delight, The Yanks turned the tables, spanking the Mets in a 9-0 beatdown.

A mirror image of the first game soon emerged, with Yankee fans loudly applauding their team.

I wasn't the only fan to experience the two-stadium double-whammy.

Best friends Brian Westerman, 26, and Charlie Tufano, 25 - Yankees and Mets supporters respectively - did the same.

"It's fantastic," Tufano said of the doubleheader. "It's great for the fans and great for the city."

On top of the baseball marathon, the two buddies had another novelty that was unique to yesterday - they planned to gulp down a beer in Yankee Stadium then empty their bladders in Shea.

I did not share that experience, thank you very much.

But I still enjoyed two action-filled games, seven hours and five minutes of our national pastime, a total of 30 runs, 45 hits and one only-in-New York day.

...To my delight, The Yanks turned the tables, spanking the Mets in a 9-0 beatdown.

A mirror image of the first game soon emerged, with Yankee fans loudly applauding their team....

...a total of 30 runs, 45 hits and one only-in-New York day.

Didn't see that in my copy of the Daily News today. I guess I got the early version? Everything else was there.

Damn, I really wish I had tickets for both games. I'm kicking myself for not having tickets.

It would've been one hell of a day of baseball. UGH! I'm so mad!

My woman is getting us tickets to the last game at shea sept 28 for an anniversary present. Might want to get in on those before they are all spoken for!

- Andy

My woman is getting us tickets to the last game at shea sept 28 for an anniversary present. Might want to get in on those before they are all spoken for!

- Andy

If I were to go to Shea, my last game there would be for tomorrow. If after I do SBS tomorrow there are still game day tickets for anywhere in the park, I'll take them.

Me is teh Yankees fan....

Archived