Chicago Teacher sues district after suspension for "N" word slur during ‘teachable moment’

Shortline Bus

Hi Guys. I am about to post a controversial but very important topic concerning the issue freedom of speech versus the world's most used and considered by most the most controversial racial slang in the english language. This is a story that gotten national news attention.

A White Chicago Teacher has sued that city school district after his use of the ever polarizing "N" word. He got suspended for it. That same teacher claims many of his Black students use it 'freely' without penalty.

Thus I want to open a honest debate about the use of the "N" word in that forums. It is ok for many Black and Latino kids insipred by Hip Hop/Rap Artists say it freely? While Whites who say it are considered 'racist.

With that said, I am sure all of you will be very mature about it and handle this controversial chat with care. So please keep this topic civil and not get out of hand.

Thank You

Here article.

"A white teacher who says he was disciplined for using the n-word in a “teachable moment” about the perils of racism with his sixth-grade class has filed a federal lawsuit, alleging his black principal and Chicago Public Schools violated his civil rights by suspending him without pay for five days.

Lincoln Brown, 48, says he used the n-word in front of his majority African-American class at Murray Language Academy on Oct. 4 last year after one of his students passed a note to a girl with rap lyrics including the n-word.

Brown — who grew up in Hyde Park and has taught in black neighborhood schools for 21 years — “attempted to give his own denunciation of the use of such language” according to the lawsuit filed Thursday.

He discussed the use of the racial slur in Huckleberry Finn in an attempt to show “how upsetting such language can be,” but just as he used the n-word, the school’s principal, Gregory Mason walked into the classroom, the lawsuit alleges.

Two weeks later, Mason wrote to Brown, giving an account of the incident that disputes the precise words and context in which Brown used the n-word. Mason charged Brown with “using verbally abusive language to or in front of students” and “cruel, immoral, negligent or criminal conduct or communication to a student, that causes psychological or physical harm” in violation of the Chicago Public Schools policy."

Teacher sues CPS after suspension for slur during

Well he's got a point. I mean black youth and even Latino youth use the word freely. I've even seen white youth use it without thinking twice, so how "taboo" is the word these days if everybody wants to use it, but yet only "certain" people are supposed to use it? LOL

Perhaps the context depends on the situation. The real question is why do black youth use the word so much? I mean I can't think of any other ethnic group that has taken a word that has racial overtones to it and started walking around calling each other that word. It is a bit ironic.

All i know growing up in the 1980's, other than those on the street i.e gangs, etc. i never heard the "N" word. Then by 1991 my freshmen year of college, based on IMO the popularirty of NWA, that phrase came back.

By then not just a few Black/Latino classmates were using it, so was a few White kids who were 'acting they were from the hood."

With this teacher, IMO maybe he should talked to that principal first when discussing it. If using it in a historical context such as reading from "Huckberry Fin" it should be allowed.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a Teacher Asst. in a high school when my students use it, the staff including myself treat it like any other curse word in class. Outside of class it's none of my business but in school, it's considered a curse.

Still await from the others on this?

This is Dustin Hoffmman portraying a bit Lenny Bruce did in the 60s. He was way ahead of his time. Think about what hes trying to tell you way back then.

The word doesn't mean what it used to and sure doesnt have the same effect no matter who uses it anymore.

That word is used so much know a days. Just about everyone at my school used that word. The thing that bothers me is that African Americans get so offensive over it when someone else who isn't AA says it. I've heard Caucasians, Latinos, even Chinese and Japanese kids at my school say it.

MC that a great point. Those Blacks who state the N word and get mad when other ethnic groups use it i.e hip-hop stars are IMO very hypocrites.

That word is used so much know a days. Just about everyone at my school used that word. The thing that bothers me is that African Americans get so offensive over it when someone else who isn't AA says it. I've heard Caucasians, Latinos, even Chinese and Japanese kids at my school say it.

I actually don't think anyone should be using it. It's completely foolish for folks to be throwing a word around like that. Think about it... What Hispanic/Latino person goes around using the word "sp*c" for example?? Or even me as an Italian... I don't go around throwing words around like "WOP", "guido" or "guinea" as if it's cool to call my own people those words. I just don't get it. Maybe the word doesn't sting as much, but racism is still very present, so not everyone uses the word to be "cool".

****** !

There, I said it.

Ban me.

I've long been sick of talking about the connotations & usage & spelling of the word.... Done argued & counter-argued both sides over the years, across multiple forums & in off-line discussions, so much so that I've now gotten indifferent to it all.... IDGAD anymore what persons in any racial group says too, it goes in one ear & out the other... the word has lost its power to me...

...and yeah, this is comin from someone that's been called a ****** when I was 11 or 12 years old.... happened right on the corner of av. u & flatbush, as I was crossing the street (av u, leaving kings plaza)... 1 white man (sitting on the ground) & 2 white boys (1 sitting on his skateboard, 1 riding on his skateboard).....

almost 20 yrs. removed from that, I sit here typing this.... while shrugging my shoulders in the process....

As far as this guy suing the district or whatever.....

whatever....

****** !

There, I said it.

Ban me.

I've long been sick of talking about the connotations & usage & spelling of the word.... Done argued & counter-argued both sides over the years, across multiple forums & in off-line discussions, so much so that I've now gotten indifferent to it all.... IDGAD anymore what persons in any racial group says too, it goes in one ear & out the other... the word has lost its power to me...

...and yeah, this is comin from someone that's been called a ****** when I was 11 or 12 years old.... happened right on the corner of av. u & flatbush, as I was crossing the street (av u, leaving kings plaza)... 1 white man (sitting on the ground) & 2 white boys (1 sitting on his skateboard, 1 riding on his skateboard).....

almost 20 yrs. removed from that, I sit here typing this.... while shrugging my shoulders in the process....

whatever....

So in other words you're saying that if today someone used the word on you and not trying to be cool that you would just shrug it off?? I mean we're in different shoes, but I got really pissed when an ex co-worker of mine started making comments about Italians and how we're guineas and such.

So in other words you're saying that if today someone used the word on you and not trying to be cool that you would just shrug it off??

Don't try to juxtapose anything, don't try to micro-analyze this, and don't try to get me to look at things from an angle someone else would.... Because you will be wasting your time.....

I was very clear & defiant with what & how I said it.

Not gonna go apeshit defending a word, when I'm already judged by society as being in the bottom of the damn barrel anyway....

Doing so further proves their point.

Don't try to juxtapose anything, don't try to micro-analyze this, and don't try to get me to look at things from an angle someone else would.... Because you will be wasting your time.....

I was very clear & defiant with what & how I said it.

Not gonna go apeshit defending a word, when I'm already judged by society as being in the bottom of the damn barrel anyway....

Doing so further proves their point.

Uh, I'm not... I just asked a simple question... Yes or no??

Not really... You're expecting me to understand where you're coming from (which is what I'm trying to do) yet you become defensive when I ask a question... :(

Don't give me that bit about being defensive...

Given what the hell I said in my initial post, it was an unnecessary question...

it's annoying to me when people ask questions to obvious ass answers...

Well he's got a point. I mean black youth and even Latino youth use the word freely. I've even seen white youth use it without thinking twice, so how "taboo" is the word these days if everybody wants to use it, but yet only "certain" people are supposed to use it? LOL

Perhaps the context depends on the situation. The real question is why do black youth use the word so much? I mean I can't think of any other ethnic group that has taken a word that has racial overtones to it and started walking around calling each other that word. It is a bit ironic.

That's just the thing. You don't know the history of the word, so thats why you don't understand anything about it. It's not ironic, it was created (nigga) to be the complete oposite of the racist slur n-i-g-g-e-r. The slur was directed at blacks AND hispanics of darker complections for decades. BOTH of these groups took the word over and gave it a totally different meaning as a way to basically say, f-u. This is our word now.

MC that a great point. Those Blacks who state the N word and get mad when other ethnic groups use it i.e hip-hop stars are IMO very hypocrites.

I don't think there is anything hypocritical about it at all. Ignorant? Yes. Hypocritical? No. You have to know where the people are coming from who feel this way. I don't give a damn who uses the word when it doesn't end in ER. Not everyone feel this way though. Some people feel that since blacks created it as a way to take the power away from the ER word that it's something sacred that only they can use. I can totally understand that though.

I really don't care for the word, because people are simply ignorant, but I definitely won't hesitate to put a real racist in their place

No, what's ignorant is the fact that 3/4 of the globe doen't even know why the word nigga was created. Something you will NEVER find in the history books unless it's in African-American history classes. Something everyone should know. Then we wouldnt be having this stupid discussion once or twice a year every year.

And anyone using the ER word in it's original contect definitely needs to be checked at the gate.

****** !

There, I said it.

Ban me.

whatever....

You're always going to shrug your shoulders bro..... Some people will never understand. Some people choose not to understand. Some people are too ignorant to understand. This applies to people of all ethnic groups and racial backgrounds.

Did the principal at the school blow the shit out of proportion? Likely. What's acceptable for any etnic group to say in NYC may not blow over so well in Alabama where you are very unlikely to ever hear anyone white use it as a term of endearment.

That's just the think. You don't know the history of the word, so thats why you don't understand anything about it. It's not ironic, it was created (nigga) to be the complete oposite of the racist slur n-i-g-g-e-r. The slur was directed at blacks AND hispanics of darker complections for decades. BOTH of these groups took the word over and gave it a totally different meaning as a way to basically say, f-u. This is our word now.

No, what's ignorant is the fact that 3/4 of the globe doen't even know why the word nigga was created. Something you will NEVER find in the history books unless it's in African-American history classes. Something everyone should know. Then we wouldnt be having this stupid discussion once or twice a year every year.

And anyone using the ER word in it's original contect definitely needs to be checked at the gate..

Not to change the subject, but there are a few kids from all ethnic backgrounds in schools these days who don't know who is Abe Lincoln, Albert Einstein, Macolm X or Rosa Parks is? So of course bro(ENY) they would not understand the orgins for the word N-I-G-G-E-R.:eek:

That's just the think. You don't know the history of the word, so thats why you don't understand anything about it. It's not ironic, it was created (nigga) to be the complete oposite of the racist slur n-i-g-g-e-r. The slur was directed at blacks AND hispanics of darker complections for decades. BOTH of these groups took the word over and gave it a totally different meaning as a way to basically say, f-u. This is our word now.

And anyone using the ER word in it's original contect definitely needs to be checked at the gate.

You're always going to shrug your shoulders bro..... Some people will never understand. Some people choose not to understand. Some people are too ignorant to understand. This applies to people of all ethnic groups and racial backgrounds.

I think folks have trouble understanding because no other ethnic group that I know of has taken a racial slur used upon them and has started using the word as if it has no meaning. That most certainly is ironic. Quite frankly I still feel like the word has meaning because there are still people using the word as a slur.

Given what the hell I said in my initial post, it was an unnecessary question...

hate when people ask questions to obvious ass answers... wasn't about no being defensive...

That's exactly what it was... Who knows why, but hey you answered it, so on to the next thing.

That's exactly what it was... Who knows why, but hey you answered it, so on to the next thing.

Yeah, that's right, try to spin this into something it wasn't.....

Then we wouldnt be having this stupid discussion once or twice a year every year.

Which is more or less, my attitude about it all.....

So of course bro(ENY) they would understand the orgins for the word N-I-G-G-E-R.

Understand?

They couldn't give a rat's behind.

I think folks have trouble understanding because no other ethnic group that I know of has taken a racial slur used upon them and has started using the word as if it has no meaning. That most certainly is ironic. Quite frankly I still feel like the word has meaning because there are still people using the word as a slur.

No other ethnic group has been bound, chained, gagged, spit on, beat, raped or murdered for 400 years either.....

Using the word as if it has no meaning????? Did something go over your head here??? Cleary the word(s) have meaning. That's why we are having this discussion...:confused:

Not to change the subject, but there are a few kids from all ethnic backgrounds in schools these days who don't know who is Abe Lincoln, Albert Einstein, Macolm X or Rosa Parks is? So of course bro(ENY) they would understand the orgins for the word N-I-G-G-E-R.:eek:

That's pretty much the point. Most people don't know any history beyond what they read in school books...

Understand?

They couldn't give a rat's behind.

So very true.

No other ethnic group has been bound, chained, gagged, spit on, beat, raped or murdered for 400 years either.....

Using the word as if it has no meaning????? Did something go over your head here??? Cleary the word(s) have meaning. That's why we are having this discussion...:confused:

Sorry to put this out there, but slavery was going on way before blacks were slaves. The point was that other ethnic groups have racial slurs used against them, yet none of them have taken any of those words and started using them. That's probably why other folks can't understand the whole thing that some blacks have started doing.

Sorry to put this out there, but slavery was going on way before blacks were slaves. The point was that other ethnic groups have racial slurs used against them, yet none of them have taken any of those words and started using them. That's probably why other folks can't understand the whole thing that some blacks have started doing.

Clearly I know my history, and I was right. It went over your head. Obviously it's hard for anyone to understand anything if they don't know the hisory behind it. Point blank

The controversy is artificial - it was only created to incite sympathy.

Would you care to elaborate on that one for us all?

Archived