Chicago Teacher sues district after suspension for "N" word slur during ‘teachable moment’

Shortline Bus

Clearly I know my history, and I was right. It went over your head. Obviously it's hard for anyone to understand anything if they don't know the hisory behind it. Point blank

I'm getting more confused with this thread by the minute. LOL

Well answer me this, you say that the word was re-created to do a sort of in your face to folks that were using it as a slur before... Has this decision actually worked?? I'm not sure if it has.

I'm getting more confused with this thread by the minute. LOL

Well answer me this, you say that the word was re-created to do a sort of in your face to folks that were using it as a slur before... Has this decision actually worked?? I'm not sure if it has.

Seeing as you no longer hear the ER word like that did back in the day, I would imagine so....

Obviously it's hard for anyone to understand anything if they don't know the history behind it.

Simple concept, aint it..... lol....

Has this decision actually worked?? I'm not sure if it has.

Depends on what generation of blacks you ask....

It's gonna come to a point (a generation) where ****** as a derogatory term will totally phase/die out.... IMO anyway...

For the younger generation, clearly it's "worked" if it's commonly used as a term of endearment.....

I direct you to your most recent rap album or urban streetcorner..... here, have a listen _____________

Simple concept, aint it..... lol....

Depends on what generation of blacks you ask....

It's gonna come to a point (a generation) where ****** as a derogatory term will phase/die out....

For the younger generation, clearly it's "worked"....

I direct you to your most recent rap album..... here, have a listen _____________

I think many of the older generations would agree as well. The ones that actually grew up in that time. Remember it was them who started it. Hip Hop just elevated it.

Would you care to elaborate on that one for us all?

Sure. There's nothing wrong with saying ****** (it's just a word, after all, a string of letters.) However, some have taken it upon themselves to demonize the usage of a word when used by certain people. Why? Well, no one truly knows what a madman thinks, but my guess is that it's to stake out some territory for themselves. You know, everyone's entitled to something, these days.

Funny how equality is a two-way street.

I think many of the older generations would agree as well. The ones that actually grew up in that time.

Remember it was them who started it. Hip Hop just elevated it.

60's & 70's heads, yep, you're absolutely right....

actually, I was referring to the generation that preceded our parents (meaning, our grandparents, onward)..... Sure you have the john witherspoon's of the world as rarities, but it's mainly those folk (of which are still alive) that don't approve of any connotation of the word...

^^ the irony is, those blacks now are considered as haters (of the young generation we have out now)....

"this aint 1925 graaanpa".... forgot what movie that was from...

Sure. There's nothing wrong with saying ****** (it's just a word, after all, a string of letters.) However, some have taken it upon themselves to demonize the usage of a word when used by certain people. Why? Well, no one truly knows what a madman thinks, but my guess is that it's to stake out some territory for themselves. You know, everyone's entitled to something, these days.

Funny how equality is a two-way street.

Interesting. Before I comment on that though, riddle me this..... Why was the word ****** created?

60's & 70's heads, yep, you're absolutely right....

actually, I was referring to the generation that preceded our parents (meaning, our grandparents)..... Sure you have the john witherspoon's of the world, but it's mainly those folk (of which are still alive) that don't approve of any connotation of the word...

the irony is, those blacks are considered as haters....

"this aint 1925 graaanpa".... forgot what movie that was from

Thats the same generation I'm talking about. Early 1900's. Many of them who are the originators of the word are also the current users. Especially the ones who still live in the south. Then there are the hypocrits who use it at home, and scream "ban it" in public. I know a few 80 and 90 years olds who use it like it's going out of style! Seems like the ones born in the '40's and '50's are the main ones who dont use it or speak out against it.

Thats the same generation I'm talking about. Early 1900's. Many of them who are the originators of the word are also the current users. Especially the ones who still live in the south. Then there are the hypocrits who use it at home, and scream "ban it" in publics. I know a few 80 and 90 years olds who use it like it's going out of style!

I would like to meet those 80+ yr old cats you know of... b/c I know I would LMAO if I heard great granpa on some "look at that ole nigga over there" tip....

I've been exposed to too many of said hypocrites up here (up north), then...

Then again, I've never lived down south (although my great grandmother, still living @ 92, grew up in SC (near myrtle beach), and (I) never really spent any real time in any of the southern states, outside of sporadic week long vacations) to hear that many folks in the elder generations use the word as much....

You've got black culture doing one of the greatest things in language, which is taking the most racist, disgusting slur in the white repertoire and switching it sideways, flipping it up and turning it on its head to make it something completely different.

....and get no credit for it whatsoever.

People of West Indian descent rarely use the word in their broken English dialect.

Exactly what I said to myself as I was reading that part of MHV's post.... well, at least the ones that haven't totally assimilated into the american culture anyway....

I've been thinking about this past couple of weeks... Jay Z & Kanye West have single off their album called "Niggas in Paris". I always wonder how they introduce this video on shows like TRL on MTV where the hosts are usually white.

Not to mention that on most edited/clean versions of rap songs the word nigga is edited out. So they wouldn't be allowed to say it on BET either. I don't have cable so I can't actually watch these channels to find out lol.

Same goes for broadcast radio, you know you're Hot 97's you're Z100s, etc.

2pac had a album called "Strictly for my niggaz", I was only like 3 or 4 years old when that album came out, I wonder how he promoted it in the mainstream media, when a word in the album name you're not even allowed to say on the radio, MTV or BET. :confused:

Its really interesting as Jay and Kanye are VERY mainstream, i.e they have a lot of white fans, must be awkward for them to talk about the song.

MC that a great point. Those Blacks who state the N word and get mad when other ethnic groups use it i.e hip-hop stars are IMO very hypocrites.

I don't think that's really true. For instance, my school has a lot of White kids who go around using that word, and I have yet to see any Black kid get offended.

East NY thinks it's because it's not the actual word (it ends in "a" and not "er"), but to be honest, I don't think it really makes a difference. I just think it's just become so commonplace that most people (White and Black) have forgotten the origins of the word and so it doesn't sting.

I don't use either version of the word. I'm not one of the kids who has to "act cool" or whatever, but obviously I haven't tried using the "-er" version to find out what would happen.

I don't think that's really true. For instance, my school has a lot of White kids who go around using that word, and I have yet to see any Black kid get offended.

East NY thinks it's because it's not the actual word (it ends in "a" and not "er"), but to be honest, I don't think it really makes a difference. I just think it's just become so commonplace that most people (White and Black) have forgotten the origins of the word and so it doesn't sting.

I don't use either version of the word. I'm not one of the kids who has to "act cool" or whatever, but obviously I haven't tried using the "-er" version to find out what would happen.

No, I don't think. I know. YOU think. Being both black and hispanic, this is the culture I grew up in, and CLEARLY the words have two different meanings.

On a side note, I'm still waiting for Joe to respond to my questions......... Not like I really expect an intelligent answer..... Oops!! Did I actually type that??:D

I've been thinking about this past couple of weeks... Jay Z & Kanye West have single off their album called "Niggas in Paris". I always wonder how they introduce this video on shows like TRL on MTV where the hosts are usually white.

Not to mention that on most edited/clean versions of rap songs the word nigga is edited out. So they wouldn't be allowed to say it on BET either. I don't have cable so I can't actually watch these channels to find out lol.

Same goes for broadcast radio, you know you're Hot 97's you're Z100s, etc.

2pac had a album called "Strictly for my niggaz", I was only like 3 or 4 years old when that album came out, I wonder how he promoted it in the mainstream media, when a word in the album name you're not even allowed to say on the radio, MTV or BET. :confused:

Its really interesting as Jay and Kanye are VERY mainstream, i.e they have a lot of white fans, must be awkward for them to talk about the song.

LMAO@ "Niggas in Paris".... I dunno why, but it sounds hilarious... I still don't quite get what "niggas" is supposed to mean. :confused: What's interesting to me is these black artists like Kayne seem to hate whites, but yet you pointed out that they have many whites following them. Weird.... :eek:

....fooling yourself if you think most whites have forgotten the origins of the word.

....fooling yourself if you think there's really no difference between the 2 words, to blacks, as a people.

I still don't quite get what "niggas" is supposed to mean. What's interesting to me is these black artists like Kayne seem to hate whites, but yet you pointed out that they have many whites following them. Weird....

Kanye hates everyone that isn't Kanye....

The whites that listen to rap do so because they're intrigued by the culture.....

....fooling yourself if you think most whites have forgotten the origins of the word.

....fooling yourself if you think there's really no difference between the 2 words, to blacks, as a people.

Kanye hates everyone that isn't Kanye....

The whites that listen to rap do so because they're intrigued by the culture.....

lol... I actually worked on a project that involved him when I was working in the construction industry. He bought two apartments down in SoHo off of Broadway & E. Houston and converted them into one large apartment. I had to go to the site (the apartment) because I was coordinating the insurance with the board (it was a co-op) and what a riot that apartment was. He had lights coming out of the floor. He wanted to have a piano hoisted on the side of the building because the piano was too big to fit in any of the elevators of the building. Mind you this was a relatively new building so the elevators were fairly large. Of course the board members had looks of disgust on their face. The last they want is to have some big shot celebrity ruining their building and sense of serenity. The real kicker was that he had the whole construction process recorded. Some annoying PITA black guy came over to me while I was visiting the site to meet with the board members of the building asking me what I do and yada yada yada... Really annoying.

LMAO@ "Niggas in Paris".... I dunno why, but it sounds hilarious... I still don't quite get what "niggas" is supposed to mean. :confused: What's interesting to me is these black artists like Kayne seem to hate whites, but yet you pointed out that they have many whites following them. Weird.... :eek:

On one of Kanye solo albums, Chris Martin, band leader of Coldplay was singing the hook on "I'm coming home again". With that being that I doubt Kanye hates whites.

As for what niggas mean, from a black person prospective, it means other black males, some black folks use the term "Brother".

Perfect example of this is when Shaq from the NBA did a interview about doing a song with Biggie....

Shaq said Biggie mentioned him in a song and Shaq said the line was...

"I'm slamming brothers like Shaquille, it is real!

When in reality Biggie said.. "I'm slamming niggas like Shaquille, shit is real!"

Shaq couldn't quote the line properly because most likely that interview, was for some family show or something.

On one of Kanye solo albums, Chris Martin, band leader of Coldplay was singing the hook on "I'm coming home again". With that being that I doubt Kanye hates whites.

As for what niggas mean, from a black person prospective, it means other black males, some black folks use the term "Brother".

Perfect example of this is when Shaq from the NBA did a interview about doing a song with Biggie....

When in reality Biggie said.. "I'm slamming niggas like Shaquille, shit is real!"

Shaq couldn't quote the line properly because most likely that interview, was for some family show or something.

LOL... Slamming brothers... Or shall I say "brothas"... :D

Nigga doesn't always mean "another black male." Niggaz can refer to anyone these days. Doesn't matter the race, ethnicity, or sex.

LOL... Slamming brothers... Or shall I say "brothas"... :D

LMAO at how clueless you really are dude! I shouldn't be laughing at all though. It's actually quite sad..... SMH.:(

LMAO at how clueless you really are dude! I shouldn't be laughing at all though. It's actually quite sad..... SMH.:(

Not really... You say that as if I'm supposed to be on the up and up with slang used by blacks and other youth for that matter. I'm an educated individual with plenty of street smarts. I just never got into the whole slang thing and I find it funny, especially being a linguist. Furthermore being a teacher of languages, I could never poison my mouth that sort of language. It's poor grammar and I literally get a headache hearing it for long periods of time.

My Italian-American friend Angelo tries talking to me in slang and I have to keep asking him to clarify himself because I have no clue what in the hell he's saying. :mad: It's quite annoying to be honest. The thing is though he's a writer and listens to Italian rap and the other types of hip hop and such so naturally he feels comfortable speaking like that. Plus his family is from Naples so they also speak with a sort of slang anyway when they speak in Neapolitan dialect. Ehhhii guaglio!! :D LOL

I will say this though... If I'm approached by a black person they usually try to be respectful and address me as sir. I don't take very kindly to that "yo yo" crappola and often times if youth are around me they'll settle down when they see me look. Must be the teacher in me I guess but I tell ya, if my kid went around using "nigga" and all of these ridiculous terms I would slap the teeth out of his mouth. My kids will not grow up speaking that gibberish. My parents didn't tolerate it and I certainly won't either when I have little ones. I'm not from the hood and I have nothing to prove. I am quite happy being raised in a normal middle class family.

Not really... You say that as if I'm supposed to be on the up and up with slang used by blacks and other youth for that matter. I'm an educated individual with plenty of street smarts. I just never got into the whole slang thing and I find it funny, especially being a linguist. Furthermore being a teacher of languages, I could never poison my mouth that sort of language. It's poor grammar and I literally get a headache hearing it for long periods of time.

My Italian-American friend Angelo tries talking to me in slang and I have to keep asking him to clarify himself because I have no clue what in the hell he's saying. :mad: It's quite annoying to be honest. The thing is though he's a writer and listens to Italian rap and the other types of hip hop and such so naturally he feels comfortable speaking like that. Plus his family is from Naples so they also speak with a sort of slang anyway when they speak in Neapolitan dialect. Ehhhii guaglio!! :P LOL

I will say this though... If I'm approached by a black person they usually try to be respectful and address me as sir. I don't take very kindly to that "yo yo" crappola and often times if youth are around me they'll settle down when they see me look. Must be the teacher in me I guess but I tell ya, if my kid went around using "nigga" and all of these ridiculous terms I would slap the teeth out of his mouth. My kids will not grow up speaking that gibberish. My parents didn't tolerate it and I certainly won't either when I have little ones. I'm not from the hood and I have nothing to prove. I am quite happy being raised in a normal middle class family.

You know what, you are right. My mother majored in English so I see exactly where you are coming from. You actually remind me a lot of her!:confused::eek:;)

Now I have a great idea. This thread is spent, and in addittion the that, discussions about the "N" word are also suspended until further notice as well! They are really pointless seem to come up annually. This is 2012.

Stand Clear of the Closing Post Please!

Archived