Cars for the Second avenue Subway

B41

Well obviously they will put the cars on it that are most easily accessing it from whatever yard, but i'm guessing they might actually put not yet retired older type cars on the line then fill with newer as the older ones are retired.

- Andy

Well obviously they will put the cars on it that are most easily accessing it from whatever yard, but i'm guessing they might actually put not yet retired older type cars on the line then fill with newer as the older ones are retired.

- Andy

Wait a sec... I just realized that the (T) is not going to be directly connected to a yard, much like the (R) when it was going to Astoria instead of Forest Hills. It has both an indirect connection to Jamaica, which is relatively close, and an indirect connection to Coney... but the (Q) comes from Coney, while from Jamaica would be traversing heavily traveled tracks. Where do you think the trains would come from? I think Coney just because trains on the (Q) would go there as well.

Wait a sec... I just realized that the (T) is not going to be directly connected to a yard, much like the (R) when it was going to Astoria instead of Forest Hills. It has both an indirect connection to Jamaica, which is relatively close, and an indirect connection to Coney... but the (Q) comes from Coney, while from Jamaica would be traversing heavily traveled tracks. Where do you think the trains would come from? I think Coney just because trains on the (Q) would go there as well.

I'd say coney island as the R40's are retired it will make room.

- Andy

When the 2av stations are completed and the (T) line is introduced, what subway cars could it get? I think it might get R160's

I'm thinking the newest cars available because I'm sure they want to promote the line as much as possible and the line is in Manhattan so its only going to get the best cars B).

When the 2av stations are completed and the (T) line is introduced, what subway cars could it get? I think it might get R160's

R488's, since that should tell you when the line might be finished far enough to run the (T) B) :):P

In all seriousness Phase I is the most important...just sending the (Q)uincy up to 96th will do A LOT to ease Lex congestion...particularly because most of it is between 42nd and 96th.

- Andy

It has to be either Jamaica or CI, and Jamaica is the most possible one.

The (T) will probably run out of Coney Island, as Jamaica will still be overburdened with cars then. I'm thinking that as R46s are retired in the future, Jamaica should be expanded.

Don't forget that the SAS will begin with CBTC already, so that only leaves R143s, R160s and R179s. (Actually, R179s will already be running by the time Phase I opens...so the next two car classes after that...) R143s aren't going anywhere, so it's R160s, R179s, or R206s.

Archived