ESPN fires writer for penning racist Jeremy Lin headline; suspends anchor for 30 days

Shortline Bus

"ESPN has fired the writer who wrote a headline using the phrase “chink in the armor” to refer to Jeremy Lin, the network said Sunday morning.

The network also hit anchor Max Bretos, who used the same term on the air while discussing Lin, with a 30 day suspension.

“We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future,” ESPN said in a statement."

ESPN fires writer for penning racist Jeremy Lin headline; suspends anchor for 30 days  - NY Daily News

Imo, this is far worse than the Limbaugh-Mcnabb controversy years back. Limbaugh only said the media was overhyping Mcnabb for being a prominent black QB, but didn't use a racial slur.

Now as for Lin the player, the media as usual is overhyping a player because of race. Yes, he's been instrumental in turning the team around lately, but he's not 'jesus'. If he was a white or black guy, there wouldn't be this much attention about him.

Sorry guys if i sound dumb or not paying attention but why is the racial sterotypes more coming out for Jeremy Lin then when Yao Ming was playing? I don't remember almost a decade back this amount of backlash for an Asian playing in the NBA when Yao started?

There's a slight problem with what you're asking..... but I'll attempt to answer it anyway:

- Yao Ming never received any type of negative backlash when he came to the NBA... at least in here in America anyway....

- As for Lin, you have those that are sick of hearing about him, and there are those that are sucking up & totally buying into the "feel good" story... It's the amount of hype he's receiving that the backlash is emanating from, not simply b/c he's Asian.... the hype itself he's receiving, is because he's an Asian that can 'ball.... don't confuse the two....

If Lin were being disrespected/hated on because he's Asian, then I could see you asking what you're asking....

Imo, this is far worse than the Limbaugh-Mcnabb controversy years back. Limbaugh only said the media was overhyping Mcnabb for being a prominent black QB, but didn't use a racial slur.

Now as for Lin the player, the media as usual is overhyping a player because of race. Yes, he's been instrumental in turning the team around lately, but he's not 'jesus'. If he was a white or black guy, there wouldn't be this much attention about him.

If Lin weren't on the Knicks, he wouldn't be getting near as much hype either... that plays into it too, w/ the NY media/fans being one of the hardest to please in all of sports.... I agree w/ Mark Cuban on that notion

(although he said, if Lin were on the Hornets, there wouldn't be all this hype)

Apparently, maxi pad here wasn't thinking about his Asian wife when he made that remark....

Suspending bretos (that same clown that used to be w/ the WWE) for a month, is gonna be the least of ESPN's worries.....

Not trying to start more controversy here, but even though Asian men and women come from the same race, it should be obvious to everyone that there is a stark difference in the way Asian men and Asian women are perceived by those of other races (and possibly from within as well). Somewhere on the Internet, there's going to be a forum or board full of Asian men hating on Bretos just for having an Asian wife. The "chink" word is probably comparatively far less insulting.

Not trying to start more controversy here, but even though Asian men and women come from the same race, it should be obvious to everyone that there is a stark difference in the way Asian men and Asian women are perceived by those of other races (and possibly from within as well). Somewhere on the Internet, there's going to be a forum or board full of Asian men hating on Bretos just for having an Asian wife. The "chink" word is probably comparatively far less insulting.

Well you make a good point... Generally speaking, Asians like to stick with their own. Of course the younger generation of Asians are a bit more open, but many families feel disgraced if their kids marry or date outside of their race, so I could see some forum like that popping up. I have a few Asian friends (one Chinese, one Korean) and I know of a Taiwanese chick that used to work with me. Two out of the three are dating outside of their race. I believe the Korean guy I know is with another Korean chick, but the Taiwanese chick has a white boyfriend, and my friend Dave is dating a black & Puerto Rican chick.

To us Asians, the "C" and "G" word is just as bad as the "N" word.

I still remember rollerblading in Sheepshead Bay as a teenager with my friend Dave who is Chinese and another of our buddies John (Irish kid) and Dave catches up to us over by Avenue U and E16th and says that some guy had called him a "g--k". It was so random for the guy in the car to do that, very much like the headline that got the writer fired. People just don't think.

It's usually the first generation Asians that would stick to tradition. I'm a 3rd generation Asian, so my parents were okay with me when I was dating a Russian or Peruvian chick. My grandparents on the other hand, ha, that was a different situation.

LOL... Well my friend Dave's mom... She wasn't even wild about him having us over because we're obviously not Asian. He was born over in China, but came here when he was young. His mother and father didn't speak that much English when they were around... Mainly Chinese.

Archived