Article: Reducing Delays on B41

Acela Express

Just happened to be looking up a few things on the web relating to the B41 and ran into this well articulated breakdown on the route's delays, and the variable solutions.

Mind you: this was put together almost 10 years ago, but still has much creditability to what that route faces today anyway.

http://www.transalt.org/files/newsroom/reports/b41_bus.pdf

From an operator's POV - I agree with most of the article, for the exception:

- [[Adding pre-payment methods at the select bus stops (Junction & Atlantic Ave Terminals).]] That would just cause a major headache, when it should be added on the entire line, along with reducing some of the unused bus stops from the route.

- [[Redesigning the bus parking area at Kings Plaza.]] The parking area in Kings Plaza isn't so bad these days, even for the B41. The only issue with service delays is really a reduction in runs going to KP in the first place, as during the AM & PM rush, most service is going to and from Bergen Beach. The KP Bus Zone is fine. I do have an issues with the cars and dollar vans entering the zone frequently interrupting the flow of buses when supervision isn't around, or NYPD. That creates a headache somewhat, mostly on the weekends.

Now, for what I'm all for:

- Adding bus lanes between Farragut Rd. & Avenue I; also bus lanes extended between Livingston & & 5th Avenue. The amount of vehicles that completely ignore the fact you are blocking a bus stop is unbelievable. I tell you what though, when NYPD is at the Junction not one car is illegally parked. This tells you that there needs to be camera enforcement in these areas so at least there's "some" order when NYPD isn't there on spot.

I'm pretty sure MTA & DOT would make B41 or B35 a first priority for SBS if the streets were wider for bus lanes. On Flatbush Avenue, the only areas for bus lanes would be south of the Junction, and north of Lincoln Rd., which is really cutting out 2 miles of the corridor which cannot SBS due to the two lane constriction which the right lane cannot fit a bus safely, thus keeping our 4 ft clearance.

Once you get rid of the dollar vans, thats pretty much 70% of ypur problems gome right there. Even if you put a bus lane on Flatbush north of the circle, you still gotta deal with all those delivery trucks that double park up there (ironically, there's a precent right off Flatbush on Carlton and yet they still double park.

But I do gotta admit, traffic has improved somewhat at Livingston & Flatbush since they made that whole right turning lane a bus only lane with its own traffic signal

Two of my biggest peeves: truck deliveries blocking a lane (especially if it's one lane per direction like on Av J with the B6/11 and the dollar vans blocking the bus stops.

As for busy areas like Nostrand Junction, I think it could help curb the fare beating and dwell times if the buses have separate drop off and pick up spots. People are still getting off the front which holds up others waiting to get on and that delay allows for fare beaters to just enter from the opened back doors and either skip the people at front by paying or just not paying at all.

If they were to have a POP set up like with the SBS, then they need to have active inspectors there by the machines or people will just think they can get away with not paying.

As for reducing bus stops, there are two stops north and south of av J on the n/b B41 that should be merged and they can turn that island into a 'park' with a bus shelter. It's always walled up and it's too small for a building to be put up there, may as well make it useful than be an eyesore.

Would it be feasible if the B41 or the dollar van were rerouted to Ocean Avenue between Lincoln Road and Cortelyou Road?

IDK about the 41 but there's more people on Flatbush than Ocean Av... more people = more money, doesn't make sense for the Dollar van guys to drive down Ocean when all the money is on Flatbush.

And whenever I ridden down that part of Ocean with my family in a car, its not all that fast during the day, Ocean in that area is nearly just as bad as Flatbush is.

I don't think the 41 would save time going down Ocean in that area. Whenever I ride the 103 it always get stuck in some mini traffic jam between Ocean and Flatbush.

Sometimes 41 locals even beat the 103 LTD to Cortelyou from Downtown, seen that happen quite a few times.

IDK about the 41 but there's more people on Flatbush than Ocean Av... more people = more money, doesn't make sense for the Dollar van guys to drive down Ocean when all the money is on Flatbush.

And whenever I ridden down that part of Ocean with my family in a car, its not all that fast during the day, Ocean in that area is nearly just as bad as Flatbush is.

I don't think the 41 would save time going down Ocean in that area. Whenever I ride the 103 it always get stuck in some mini traffic jam between Ocean and Flatbush.

Sometimes 41 locals even beat the 103 LTD to Cortelyou from Downtown, seen that happen quite a few times.

Guaranteed there'd be a loss of passengers on the 41 by having buses go down ocean.... that, and 41 LTD's along ocean will be just as bad as the current situation (slowness/lagging along) I have to deal w/, with the 35 LTD.... Not something those riders need to experience....

((Q101, yes, I'm against having bus service travel along any considerable portion of ocean av north of cortelyou... case you're wondering.))

hell, I really don't think the B16 is warranted along the portion of ocean it serves, either

As for dollar vans riding down ocean, lmfao.... that simply isn't happening...

let somebody's kid or someone's granma get hit by a dollar van along residential ocean av..... that was one reason why dollar cabs don't travel here down snyder av anymore (some kid on his bike got hit by a dollar cab on the corner of albany/snyder.... and there was another instance where a mother & 2 little girls got hit while crossing snyder, along the cemetary... I don't remember which block that happened at)....

anyway, the latter, made the news.... haven't seen one dollar cab take snyder since....

Would it be feasible if the B41 or the dollar van were rerouted to Ocean Avenue between Lincoln Road and Cortelyou Road?

I'm with B35 via Church on this one.

Flatbush Avenue is too vital to have an entire bus route moved to Ocean Avenue, and for what? There's ways to improve service now with the above suggestions, and what's listed in the article. Now I was thinking maybe Flatbush Avenue should be a thru-corridor during rush hours to keep traffic flowing smoother. They do this Downtown Brooklyn during the PM rush going southbound, and it makes a hella difference.

Bottom line: the solution is to make buses a priority over other traffic (aside from emergency services) on it's current route.

Take a look at Fulton Mall - it's a transit mall restricted to transit buses only. But then again it's only two lanes.

I'm with B35 via Church on this one.

Flatbush Avenue is too vital to have an entire bus route moved to Ocean Avenue, and for what? There's ways to improve service now with the above suggestions, and what's listed in the article. Now I was thinking maybe Flatbush Avenue should be a thru-corridor during rush hours to keep traffic flowing smoother. They do this Downtown Brooklyn during the PM rush going southbound, and it makes a hella difference.

Bottom line: the solution is to make buses a priority over other traffic (aside from emergency services) on it's current route.

Take a look at Fulton Mall - it's a transit mall restricted to transit buses only. But then again it's only two lanes.

And once a car or delivery truck parks there, it becomes a nightmare

Not happening in a million years. Flatbush is where the $$ is at for these dollar vans. and to move the 41 to Ocean would be HELL.

The amount of traffic going on right now on Ocean, would not be a wise choice to have the 41 move to Ocean.

What needs to happen in my opinion is on major intersections:

Church Ave, Junction, Foster, Glenwood left turns need to be banned with exception of buses at ALL TIMES. North/Southbound.

Currently, this left turn ban is working along the Downtown corridor on Flatbush, however Livingston should be simular to Futon Mall. BUSES ONLY up and down Livingston to relieve the car and dollar van traffic.

Speaking of left turn bans, they should also have one at Nostrand-Glenwood as it is a congestion mess with buses blocking the intersection, but to add on cars trying to turn... Better yet, they need a traffic cop there to direct traffic so the intersection is clear before any car or bus blocks the block.

If you want to eliminate the left turn on Glenwood, it would be for exception for B6 buses heading to Rockaway & New Lots. restrict it to 7AM-7PM all times, and should be enforced. (I have issues with the B6 limited, and it needs to be streamlined. That's for another post on another day).

Another thing that needs to happen is that northbound stops like Clarendon, Cortelyou, Brooklyn Ave MAY need to be eliminated so that buses can locals can streamline down flatbush. Have customers utilize other stops.

If you want to eliminate the left turn on Glenwood, it would be for exception for B6 buses heading to Rockaway & New Lots. restrict it to 7AM-7PM all times, and should be enforced. (I have issues with the B6 limited, and it needs to be streamlined. That's for another post on another day).

Another thing that needs to happen is that northbound stops like Clarendon, Cortelyou, Brooklyn Ave MAY need to be eliminated so that buses can locals can streamline down flatbush. Have customers utilize other stops.

Of course. Buses would be the exception and I agree, there are stops that should be consolidated and others eliminated. There is no rule that says a stop must be every 2-3 blocks.

Speaking of left turn bans, they should also have one at Nostrand-Glenwood as it is a congestion mess with buses blocking the intersection, but to add on cars trying to turn... Better yet, they need a traffic cop there to direct traffic so the intersection is clear before any car or bus blocks the block.

Nostrand/Hillel, yes. But I would not bar left turns at Glenwood, as that's a through street messed up by the grid---and do you really want to funnel westbound traffic onto Campus Road? (I presume you mean northbound.)

The real problem is SOUTHBOUND, and there's no easy fix there. To improve reliability, to me, more of the local trips should be short-turned at Empire Boulevard.

As for the area by Barclays Center---that will probably rectify itself down the line after the building is complete.

There should be a ban on those cabs that park (attempting to pick up people) at/around the SE corner of glenwood/nostrand (the problem is exacerbated w/ the ones that park on nostrand).... that is one reason why whenever I'm around the junction, I decide to talk a 20 min walk home.... instead of sitting on a stuck B44 waitin for some of em to clear out....

There is no rule that says a stop must be every 2-3 blocks.

not blocks, but distance IINM.....

The real problem is SOUTHBOUND, and there's no easy fix there.

...large in part b/c nostrand av (heading south) becomes 2 way @ farragut.... the bottlenecking that occurs from SB traffic on nostrand past that point, plus w/e vehicles you have turning off glenwood - Equates to the ongoing situation you see at glenwood/nostrand....

....and what I pointed out in the above quote about those cabs that loiter at that corner, does not help matters either.

The real problem is SOUTHBOUND, and there's no easy fix there. To improve reliability, to me, more of the local trips should be short-turned at Empire Boulevard.

I disagree with turning around more locals at Empire Blvd. because now you're starving the northbound portion of the line, which has significant ridership much of the time. Enough (many) of the runs do terminate at Empire Blvd. now, and I think it's fine, but won't solve the traffic problem. Buses need to be priority on Flatbush Avenue, and until NYPD gets a more solid fix on the dollar vans and other obstructions along the route (not saying they're not doing a good job; they are getting closer to success), then there's always gonna be the issue. I can see +SBS actually working on Flatbush Avenue though if they make the avenue a thru-fare, as I gently mentioned before.

Hell, making Flatbush a thru-fare wouldn't even warrant for SBS actually when the LTDs can actually make some time coming down with everything on the avenue moving. I've noticed when one lane is obstructed on Flatbush Avenue, it causes a bottleneck to one lane, and slows down everything for the prior blocks; once you've past the obstruction, it becomes all gravy. This is usually the case Downtown Brooklyn with all the construction going on by the new arena. But then again, dwell times at stops with passengers at the farebox needs improvement, thus back to square one with introducing SBS, in some way.

Archived