T/O and C/R exam eligibility requirements changing?

SubwayGuy

From sub chat...

For next off the street tests for Train Operator and Conductor the requirements are being upgraded..

For Conductor 3 years work experience as well as 30 college credits a must.

For Train Operator 5 years experience as well as 60 college credits or work related experience.

Well let me say as someone who is 22 years old, has a college degree and 7 years of part time work experience, and who been planning on taking the next O/C TO exam, I think this stanks...

Course it don't matter what I think...what I want to find out is if the work experience requirement is 3 (for C/R) or 5 (for T/O) years Full time or if a good part time employment record will do well (I've worked a bunch of jobs over those 7 years, never been fired just moved on), also want to find out if as in the past 30 college credits can be traded for a year's work experience and also if you can "double count" college credits or not. T/O exam is going to be a stretch for me to be Eligible, C/R exam even a little bit I would guess, important since they're both coming out probably within the next calendar year just trying to see where I stand on both.

Feel free to comment or let me know more info if you know anything about these new requirements...

From sub chat...

For next off the street tests for Train Operator and Conductor the requirements are being upgraded..

For Train Operator 5 years experience as well as 60 college credits or work related experience.

Well let me say as someone who is 22 years old, has a college degree and 7 years of part time work experience, and who been planning on taking the next O/C TO exam, I think this stanks...

Course it don't matter what I think...what I want to find out is if the work experience requirement is 3 (for C/R) or 5 (for T/O) years Full time or if a good part time employment record will do well (I've worked a bunch of jobs over those 7 years, never been fired just moved on), also want to find out if as in the past 30 college credits can be traded for a year's work experience and also if you can "double count" college credits or not. T/O exam is going to be a stretch for me to be Eligible, C/R exam even a little bit I would guess, important since they're both coming out probably within the next calendar year just trying to see where I stand on both.

Feel free to comment or let me know more info if you know anything about these new requirements...

Was it an employee who said this, or was it someone who knows someone, who knows nothing?????

I wouldn't put it past the MTA to do this, cause it will weed out the people who make all this money, but come from the ghetto and PJs.....

Why not just go back to the old promotional for T/O, but open it up to MaBSTOA and MTA Bus, not just TA B/Os.........

I took the Last T/O test back in 03 or 04? I forgot when it came out. I was 19 or 20 years young. Anyways, I NEVER even received my results in the mail, instead, I got a letter stating that, 'I Didn't fulfill the experience required'. I worked 5 years prior to the test ( part time though ). Guess P/T doesn't count....:mad: Was extremely upset with the letter. However C/R I received a final grade of 88.7, still not good enough... I better get a 100 on the next C/R test, ill have more than enough college credits by then...

I took the Last T/O test back in 03 or 04? I forgot when it came out. I was 19 or 20 years young. Anyways, I NEVER even received my results in the mail, instead, I got a letter stating that, 'I Didn't fulfill the experience required'. I worked 5 years prior to the test ( part time though ). Guess P/T doesn't count....:mad: Was extremely upset with the letter. However C/R I received a final grade of 88.7, still not good enough... I better get a 100 on the next C/R test, ill have more than enough college credits by then...
HEY...88.7 is a GOOD score!!Who told you that you need 100?What was your list number?Don't ever give up!I took a T/O test in 03.My department called me and told me I could not take it because it was a promotional!I took it anyway,I had to run down to DCAS and pay another 50$ to get put on an outside list or they would throw my score away.:mad:5 years later I'm a T/O yard.I never gave up!Call these numbers-347-643-8232,347-643-8233 Be polite(they might have attitudes)ask them your list number on C/R and if you have more job experience now,ask them what's the procedure for you to be considered again for the T/O position.

From sub chat...

I don't know how true this is but I would NOT rule it out!There is ALOT of people that work for transit that have GED'S and H.S. diploma's making CRAZY money!Cleaners make about 23$ an hour.There's not alot of jobs out there paying this type of money with benefits.Many people are going to college,getting degrees and can't find a decent paying job.I heard from a source in my department that the "BIG PEOPLE " upstairs is cleaning house because supt's and managers are making 6 figure salaries with Ged's and H.s. diploma's.They feel people with degrees should hold these positions.Nyc correction department called me for a position as an officer..Guess what?? They wan't 60 college credits so you can guard criminals.:eek:Nypd want's 60 credits also.I guess I got in with TA at the right time.B) I think college is a good thing to have under yur belt but it is not needed for C/R or T/O.

Its just talk as of now. The reason is what was said the last few C/R and T/O classes that came out where bad and they looking at ways to try to improve the pool of new hires. I remember when the requirements changed for Station Agent you didn't need a diploma at one time and changed it to HS Diploma and work experance in Customer service back in the late 90's. I personally don't think there should be any changes in the C/R requirements and T/O I believe should be Promotional only but if its going to stay O/C I don't see any reason why 5 Years work experance should change.

I feel Train Operator should be promotional only because you need to learn the subway systerm first and operational proceedures before learning to operate a train. The O/C T/O program you have to learn all 3 in one shot. In a way they should require 2 Years as a C/R as well to be a T/O but that won't happen. T/O's need to understand the job of thier C/R's who they work 8HRS + A day with.

HEY...88.7 is a GOOD score!!Who told you that you need 100?What was your list number?Don't ever give up!I took a T/O test in 03.My department called me and told me I could not take it because it was a promotional!I took it anyway,I had to run down to DCAS and pay another 50$ to get put on an outside list or they would throw my score away.:mad:5 years later I'm a T/O yard.I never gave up!Call these numbers-347-643-8232,347-643-8233 Be polite(they might have attitudes)ask them your list number on C/R and if you have more job experience now,ask them what's the procedure for you to be considered again for the T/O position.

A friend of mine got 94 on that test C/R test, still hasn't been called...

I wasn't eligible back then..go figure all these years and not that much going to change :mad:

As for the source of that info, the Sub chat poster who posted it is a T/O...

A friend of mine got 94 on that test C/R test, still hasn't been called...

I wasn't eligible back then..go figure all these years and not that much going to change :mad:

As for the source of that info, the Sub chat poster who posted it is a T/O...

I know who it was now.....Mr. Man........

• 3 weeks later...
Its just talk as of now. The reason is what was said the last few C/R and T/O classes that came out where bad and they looking at ways to try to improve the pool of new hires. I remember when the requirements changed for Station Agent you didn't need a diploma at one time and changed it to HS Diploma and work experance in Customer service back in the late 90's. I personally don't think there should be any changes in the C/R requirements and T/O I believe should be Promotional only but if its going to stay O/C I don't see any reason why 5 Years work experance should change.

I feel Train Operator should be promotional only because you need to learn the subway systerm first and operational proceedures before learning to operate a train. The O/C T/O program you have to learn all 3 in one shot. In a way they should require 2 Years as a C/R as well to be a T/O but that won't happen. T/O's need to understand the job of thier C/R's who they work 8HRS + A day with.

My class had a few of those bad people we had those few who didn't care about the job as long as they got a pay check. My TSS in school car said he had high hopes for me and another class mate cause of enthusiasm to be there and learn the ropes.

Those requirements are kinda stiff lol I can understand them wanting you to have 4 or 5 years full time work experience the College credits I doubt it. You know someone will scream how its not fair to minorities and all this other stuff. I remember taking the last FDNY test it was so stupid it was 130 questions from the old test that was 75 questions.

A group had complained that it was unfair for minorities or some crap. Now before you call me racists lol I will let you know that I am a Hispanic. I just get angry when I hear people complain about something so easy and then ruin it. So yea FDNY changed the test they made it so easy that I found out that some of the questions had 2 answers out of the 4 choices ! I got a 99.6 on the written. The last test with 75 questions I got a 100 so go figure.

As far as TA is concerned I feel that supervision should be more harsh on people. My TSS was writing people up for being 2 mins late it was pretty funny how people that got written up would bash him for it when it was their fault for not getting to work on time. I agree with Dave on having the T/O be a promotional only test due to having to learn the C/R job its true as a C/R you can help your T/O out if hes new to a line and not familiar with his lineups cause you as a C/R know the signals.

My class had a few of those bad people we had those few who didn't care about the job as long as they got a pay check. My TSS in school car said he had high hopes for me and another class mate cause of enthusiasm to be there and learn the ropes.

Those requirements are kinda stiff lol I can understand them wanting you to have 4 or 5 years full time work experience the College credits I doubt it. You know someone will scream how its not fair to minorities and all this other stuff. I remember taking the last FDNY test it was so stupid it was 130 questions from the old test that was 75 questions.

A group had complained that it was unfair for minorities or some crap. Now before you call me racists lol I will let you know that I am a Hispanic. I just get angry when I hear people complain about something so easy and then ruin it. So yea FDNY changed the test they made it so easy that I found out that some of the questions had 2 answers out of the 4 choices ! I got a 99.6 on the written. The last test with 75 questions I got a 100 so go figure.

As far as TA is concerned I feel that supervision should be more harsh on people. My TSS was writing people up for being 2 mins late it was pretty funny how people that got written up would bash him for it when it was their fault for not getting to work on time. I agree with Dave on having the T/O be a promotional only test due to having to learn the C/R job its true as a C/R you can help your T/O out if hes new to a line and not familiar with his lineups cause you as a C/R know the signals.

Brubaker, I agree with you on this, but don't forget T/O was a promo title for TA B/Os also, not just C/Rs......

Being late, well let me say, a few already filled out G2s twice, and we haven't begun to get started yet......My class went form 80 people, by the end of day 1 (orientation), 78 was left. I suspect we will have 50 or less by the time graduation come......Alot will get let go, just for being unnecessarily late, constantly......

Writing someone up for 2 Minutes late is kind of petty but if you always late to the point your missing your Interval then yeah you should be written up.

I don't believe the TSS's have to be more harsh because hey things happen in the blink of an eye. However do something dangrous or always screwing up then action should be taken.

Writing someone up for 2 Minutes late is kind of petty but if you always late to the point your missing your Interval then yeah you should be written up.

I don't believe the TSS's have to be more harsh because hey things happen in the blink of an eye. However do something dangrous or always screwing up then action should be taken.

He was giving them slack I think after the second week was when he got strict with us a bit.

I don't like how that sounds. As a want-to-be CR, I don't really want to mess with prior work experience and whatnot, I just want to be a CR. That was something I certainly didn't see coming, but it is understandable if it actually happens.

I don't like how that sounds. As a want-to-be CR, I don't really want to mess with prior work experience and whatnot, I just want to be a CR. That was something I certainly didn't see coming, but it is understandable if it actually happens.

Well there was always the requirement, but a college degree would equal the requirement. For someone who went to college and didn't graduate, they could trade up 15 credits as one year of work experience.

But if the new requirements go through (and from what people are saying that sounds like a big if), that makes it Very hard for younger people like myself who want to take the tests since it basically would mean every C/R applicant would have to be 23 (18 yrs old to graduate HS + 2 yrs of college with 30 credits per year + 3 years FT work experience) and every T/O applicant would have to be 25 (18 + 2 college + 5 yrs FTWX)

I agree,2 minutes late is petty! I got written up once(NOT school car) for being 4 minutes late and me and the Supv. had some words.This supv. for some reason kept riding me so....I wrote on my G-2 "I was 4 minutes late"period! I booked off sick,(stress)now get some other person to cover the job.:mad:The NEXT day supt.(BIG BOSS) came to me and said he WILL NOT take any action against me because I'm a good worker.B) We BOTH laughed at the whole situation.:) My TSS in school car is GREAT!!!!

Archived