Loud Music on Buses / Trains

Orion VII 4 Life

Recently, just about every time I've hopped on a bus or subway car, there's at least one person blasting their iPod music so loud that it can literally be heard at the other end of the bus / car. Not only is this extremely annoying, but I can't even make on-board videos for YouTube, which I get paid to make as I am a partner, for copyright reasons. Now, the (MTA) rules say "no radio playing", but I feel that blasting music like that should is the same thing since, in most cases, it's just as loud even though the people are wearing headphones. I'm fine with listening to iPods, but they shouldn't be at a volume that makes an (MTA) bus the new club. I listen to my iPod on the train / bus often, but I keep the volume low and I can hear my music just fine. They make headphones for a reason, so other people won't be annoyed by your music. I really think the (MTA) should change the rules to make it so loud music in general is prohibited, whether it's playing through speakers or headphones. If these people really need their music loud, then they should get noise-canceling headphones.

Just my opinion. What do you guys think?

Recently, just about every time I've hopped on a bus or subway car, there's at least one person blasting their iPod music so loud that it can literally be heard at the other end of the bus / car. Not only is this extremely annoying, but I can't even make on-board videos for YouTube, which I get paid to make as I am a partner, for copyright reasons. Now, the (MTA) rules say "no radio playing", but I feel that blasting music like that should is the same thing since, in most cases, it's just as loud even though the people are wearing headphones. I'm fine with listening to iPods, but they shouldn't be at a volume that makes an (MTA) bus the new club. I listen to my iPod on the train / bus often, but I keep the volume low and I can hear my music just fine. They make headphones for a reason, so other people won't be annoyed by your music. I really think the (MTA) should change the rules to make it so loud music in general is prohibited, whether it's playing through speakers or headphones. If these people really need their music loud, then they should get noise-canceling headphones.

Sometimes it's annoying as hell! Especially when you are sitting next to them and you can hear every word of the song. :mad:

P.S. When someone is standing next to the sensor doors on the newest buses with their headphones in, it gets really annoying when the bus is empty and they're causing the "Please step away from the door" warning to go off.

That's life. I don't say anything when they get on the bus with the music blasting from their phones. If it bothers you that much, you do have a couple of options -- 1. go and ask the person to lower their music; 2. catch another bus, or move to another car on the train.

It is what it is. Life would suck if everything was just handy dandy. I've learned that as an BO.

P.S. When someone is standing next to the sensor doors on the newest buses with their headphones in, it gets really annoying when the bus is empty and they're causing the "Please step away from the door" warning to go off.

They only move when I get on the speaker and tell them to move away from the back door area. :confused:

I agree... I listen to music on the express bus and I have noise-canceling headphones. Folks, especially, from my generation and younger really lack consideration and it's all about them. :( Some of them do it for the attention because of course everyone needs to know what the hell they're listening to and others are just rude and don't know any better. Then you have folks that just want to sort of "escape" into their own world and zone out as usual. They can't cope with reality so they need to constantly zone out. And then some do it to drown out the loud yentas yapping about on the bus. LOL

I don't know if this is a policy or not, but I have noticed on a few express buses to Riverdale (BxM1 a month ago or so and the BxM2 most recently) that the B/O gets on the speaker and announces that the use of cell phones are allowed so as not to disturb the passengers. I have NEVER heard of this EVER before on any NYC bus or subway. I think it's just something done on buses to Riverdale, as I have never heard it before elsewhere. Of course loud music would be included as well I would imagine, but the buses are so quiet that you can hear a pin drop. I was going to make a thread about this, but since we're talking about noise and such, can anyone shed any light on this? I want to know if this is some sort of BS policy that certain B/Os create or if it is an official policy?? :confused:

Good luck enforcing that. Some B/O's might not really care enough to kick them off the bus. Also if they do have crappy earphones, that may not be their fault. Is it annoying? Sometimes. (But yet again, thats how I found out what the song "Centerfold" was called:tup::tup::tup:.)

And in addition, "loud music" seems very hard to classify. Especially if there is someone who is particularly bothered by this music, they might call it "loud" when really it isn't. So this seems like it would be OK, but it would only help minutely and it calls for bias, and difficult classification.

It is what it is. Life would suck if everything was just handy dandy. I've learned that as an BO.

They only move when I get on the speaker and tell them to move away from the back door area. :confused:

People should have more sense to move without you having to tell them as the B/O.

But it's true, life would suck if everyone behaved properly.

And then some do it to drown out the loud yentas yapping about on the bus. LOL

I don't know if this is a policy or not, but I have noticed on a few express buses to Riverdale (BxM1 a month ago or so and the BxM2 most recently) that the B/O gets on the speaker and announces that the use of cell phones are allowed so as not to disturb the passengers. I have NEVER heard of this EVER before on any NYC bus or subway. I think it's just something done on buses to Riverdale, as I have never heard it before elsewhere. Of course loud music would be included as well I would imagine, but the buses are so quiet that you can hear a pin drop. I was going to make a thread about this, but since we're talking about noise and such, can anyone shed any light on this? I want to know if this is some sort of BS policy that certain B/Os create or if it is an official policy?? :confused:

There was a sticker on some of the express buses in Brooklyn a couple years ago that said the same thing, but yet, people still go on yapping. A guy once was talking to his girlfriend and revealed info about his whole week. Sheesh! I could have stalked him if I wanted to!

Yes its very annoying when people get on my bus and make noice talking loud or playing music, especially when they sit close to the front. Crying babies and loud, restless kids are the worse tho. Sometimes when people are playing music, I know the songs and catch myself singing along with them in my head! Unfortunately, as the driver I cant change seats or get on the next bus. I just have to deal with it and hope they get off soon. I even try to make noise of my own to drown them out by turning on the defroster or booster/blower....it helps somewhat

There was a sticker on some of the express buses in Brooklyn a couple years ago that said the same thing, but yet, people still go on yapping. A guy once was talking to his girlfriend and revealed info about his whole week. Sheesh! I could have stalked him if I wanted to!

There are no cell phone stickers on ALL spring creek Eastchester, and Yonkers express buses, and I've seen some B/O enforce the no cell phone policy within the first few rows on the bus. Its a distraction to the driver in which I do understand.

I'm sure as a B/O don't want to hear your convo whether interesting or not.

For one thing thank god you can't talk on your phone underground, but when you get overground its HELL:mad::tdown:

At the end of the day simple etiquette on buses and trains can make life easier. No one is not telling you to listen to your music, but put it on a respectable volume so that it doesn't disturb.

There are no cell phone stickers on ALL spring creek Eastchester, and Yonkers express buses, and I've seen some B/O enforce the no cell phone policy within the first few rows on the bus. Its a distraction to the driver in which I do understand.

Interesting... So what's the story with the sticker only being on some express buses? I do think I've seen them here and there, but I've never had a B/O make any mention of no cell phones on the express bus. Only the buses out of Yonkers.

I remember getting on an MCI from Castleton back in 2010 and I saw a no cell phone sticker. From what I know, there is no such rule prohibiting cell phones, but sometimes people take it too far, talking all loud and whatnot. I was on an X17C last summer and I was on my phone in the front seat...but I wasn't loud, I talked normal, unlike some guy sitting in the middle of the bus talking LOOOOOUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDD that the bus driver played back his conversation because of that.

Yeah I know all about the headphone issue...never understood why though kids choose to play their music so loud. Do they WANT to go deaf or something??!!

Crying babies and loud, restless kids are the worse tho.

Crying babies are the absolute worse.

I don't care where they're sitting on the bus, they f**kiing piss me off when they get on their spoiled kid shit. Jesus Christ! Forgive me for saying this but I almost wanted to crash the bus one night just to shut the baby up. Nonstop for over 40 mins... Wtf. /endrant

I remember that there was a sign on one of the 9300 coaches working the local routes out of Ulmer Park years ago that stated 'No cell phones" and people followed it. The other coaches did not have the sign and it was terrible. I had one guy behind my seat standing by the rear door on the B/3 talking about his sex life for blocks. When I was ready to get off the bus, I rang the bell and yelled out "next stop please" and he gave me an argument like I was disrupting his life.

The members are right that people ignore the wishes of other riders when it comes to cell phone usage. When you have three or four individuals at different positions on the bus yakking away and you are trying to read, it is extremely annoying. In one case where I had to do something, the yakker was screaming in a foreign language and when I asked him to lower his voice, he did not understand me as I did not speak his language. Finally someone who did speak that language asked to stop and he did after my complaining for ten minutes. Over the years, I saw many instances where cell phone users were extremely discourteous to other passengers, whether it was 5:15 AM in the morning or late in the evening. People feel that it is their right to talk at any time or any place that is convenient to them (disregarding the rest of us) and it is all types of environments I remember going to vote one year and this individual who was in front of me was yakking away on her cell phone in a loud voice while she pushed the levers and no one said a word.

I understand the problems with the cell phone users (and for that matter anyone else) standing by the rear door and the announcement keeps going off as the person did not move because the individual cannot hear it. I had the opposite experience in 2008 riding on Bus 9419 when it working on the S/79 one morning about 6 AM. As soon as we left 86th Street - 4th Avenue, we heard "please do not stand in the rear door well" and it was going off every couple of seconds. This went on until we got to New Dorp and the bus must have hit a bump and it stopped. No one was standing there and when they exited, it was through the front door The next day, I had the same bus with the same driver on the S/79 at the same time and it started again. The difference was it continued only until we got to Clove Road and it stopped. Thank goodness the bus driver had a different bus the next day.

I had one guy behind my seat standing by the rear door on the B/3 talking about his sex life for blocks. When I was ready to get off the bus, I rang the bell and yelled out "next stop please" and he gave me an argument like I was disrupting his life.

I would've disapproved of this post if it was sexy female doing that talking on the bus. :tup:

Yes its very annoying when people get on my bus and make noice talking loud or playing music, especially when they sit close to the front. Crying babies and loud, restless kids are the worse tho. Sometimes when people are playing music, I know the songs and catch myself singing along with them in my head! Unfortunately, as the driver I cant change seats or get on the next bus. I just have to deal with it and hope they get off soon. I even try to make noise of my own to drown them out by turning on the defroster or booster/blower....it helps somewhat

Thankfully I haven't been on a bus with many crying babies, but good god the school kids ar hands down the worst. Forget noise, they walk around to each of their buddies and either yelling or even smacking each other like some sort of demeted game. Kids like that should be put on those prison transport buses and not with the rest of us riders just wanting to get to point b.

Crying babies are the absolute worse.

I don't care where they're sitting on the bus, they f**kiing piss me off when they get on their spoiled kid shit. Jesus Christ! Forgive me for saying this but I almost wanted to crash the bus one night just to shut the baby up. Nonstop for over 40 mins... Wtf. /endrant

I don't blame you at all. Heck if i was a driver I might be tempted to tell the parent to take a transfer and take the next bus anything to get them off.

If it keeps me from cursing other people out on the bus (or kicking their bags clean into the back door...but that's another story lol), then I shall blast my music. People playing their loud music doesn't bother me...just as long as they have headphones. Now if you just straight blasting it from your phone with no headphones, then that's a different story

Plus, I've seen quite a few MCIs where they write on the passenger sun visor "No cell phone conversations in the front row"

dont you love when you have a empty bus and a passenger boards and sits in the first seat behind the drivers seat and talks on there cell phone so loud?

I see that quite often on express buses. Its very rude and inconsiderate to other riders and especially the driver who has to navigate the route effectively, and any disturbance can result to an accident.

I see that quite often on express buses. Its very rude and inconsiderate to other riders and especially the driver who has to navigate the route effectively, and any disturbance can result to an accident.

And what express bus is this?? :confused: It's not to say that certain lines don't have rude riders, but many express buses are quiet overall.

Archived