06/28/08 One more time with the FL-9's

Fred G

Thanks, guys. Somebody at MN must like us railfans to arrange the locos like that, which is unusual.

HEP might be shot on one of them. If one provides just traction and one idles to provide HEP it would actually save fuel too i think. I second that idea though, of someone realizing what they have & show it off. Can those types of diesels run by remote and have a double ended layout one loco on each end? I know they can be in push mode, but i wasn't sure if the drive system allows reverse & forward like newer types.

- Andy

Thanks, I meant positioning them elephant style, not the fact that there are 2 of them. It's possible that one is traction and the other is HEP, like you said and that using 2 locos has a sound railroading reason and not just foamer fun :D:).

Hopefully some day really soon i'll be able to ride up that way & get a chance to see them.

I've seen them front to front in push mode, and back to back in push & pull mode on youtube etc, but this is the first time i've seen them elephant style. Usually they'd have that box cab unit in back in pull mode, but i don't think MNRR has those.

- Andy

Archived