The phone Camera quality does not do it justice!

Eric B

hUel1GzFkXw

Was so fascinated by the signs I was seeing on the LOTTO machines (earlier video), and dying to see all 26 colors (LOTTO only uses a few of them), I happened to check Amazon, and they had a used for for $69!!! The cost for a new one is about $339! The remote was not included, so I got that from an Amazon seller for $40.

Even with the camera of my other new gear, the Samsung Galaxy S2, the whites all look like blue. Since this sign, ulike most RGB's, uses the old 565nm "yellow green" (or "lime"), which stimulates a lot more red eye cones; instead of the 525nm "pure" green; the colors are off. What would amount to full white (FFFFFF) is pinkish, and the pure white (remarkably similar to a 6000K phosphor white LED, with a few LED's being a bit more bluish) is called "light Aqua: [LAQ], and basically 00FF80 (green with a little blue added, and no red). Looks truly stunning in person, but it comes out cyan in the picture.

I used a color called "Light Cyan" [LCY] for the L line's gray, and "brown" by itself looks like just a burnt amber, but next to the other colors, fits the J line's brown pretty well.

(MTA) really should get signs using these, for both the trains and the countdown clocks! The red-lime-blue is a bit cheaper than regular RGB, because blue and pure green use a newer compound, while lime green is the older technology.

You're talking about the one inside the dispatcher's office? That's the old one without blue. Yeah; I was over there a couple of weeks ago, and everytime I see those, I imagined the full color one. I never imagined I'd up and buy one shortly after.

207 St. car desk has (or had) an older version hanging by their window, and this used the primitive silicon carbide blue LED, before they perfected the modern Gallium Nitride. It was dim and purplish, and it was SRGB, meaning the red, green and blue were separate 5mm LED envelopes (where this sign, and most modern signs, have one LED with all three or two color "dies").

Archived