Is Unseasonably Warm Winter The Reason For Increased City Crime?

Shortline Bus

"The latest weather forecast indicates that temperatures won’t get above freezing this weekend.

Looking on the bright side, that may not be such a bad thing depending on who you ask.

Some are blaming the mild weather this winter on an increase in city crime last month.

NYPD statistics show that major crimes in January 2012 increased by 5.7 percent as compared to January 2011. In northern Manhattan, the numbers are even higher — an 11 percent jump.

NYPD officials believe the unseasonably warm temperatures are to be blamed for for the uptick in criminal activity — including robberies, burglaries and grand larcenies, according to a DNA Info report."

Is Unseasonably Warm Weather The Reason For Increased City Crime? « CBS New York

I will say, people do tend to act a fool in public when the weather gets hot....

However, I can't sit here & blame this warm winter as a reason for the (supposed) uptick in crime..... What's there to suggest that, other than goin off that whole bit regarding increasing crime during summer time..... Crimes aren't being committed simply because "it's hot outside".....

People that blame crime on unseasonably warm weather are idiots. Crime is gona happen no matter how warm or cold.

I will say, people do tend to act a fool in public when the weather gets hot....

However, I can't sit here & blame this warm winter as a reason for the (supposed) uptick in crime..... What's there to suggest that, other than goin off that whole bit regarding increasing crime during summer time..... Crimes aren't being committed simply because "it's hot outside".....

They will happen regardless of when but there is no question there is more crime when it is warmer, especially rapes and such.

Yeah, but is that The reason for these crimes being committed..... Is the question.

I didn't answer that part because I'm not sure if it is. I will say that some folks definitely don't like cold weather. Hot weather allows folks to stay out longer and lurk so to speak unless of course it is unbearable outside in terms of the heat. I think it could and that's because more people tend to be out and about in the nice weather and things are just more exposed.

I don't buy that whole "the heat gets to their heads" as a reason for crime going up. But people are more likely to be up and about when the weather gets warmer. More people walking around = Increased interactions between people = Higher crime.

If you think about it, you could have somebody who's thinking of going out and robbing people, he's not going to go out in the middle of the snow when there's nobody around to rob (and he's sitting there freezing waiting for a target). He's going to go out in the warmer weather when you have a better chance of somebody walking around, and it's easier to wait around for a target if it's warm.

And we all know that when you see a bunch of kids hanging around, usually nothing good's going to come out of it. If they run into another group of kids just hanging around, you could get fights and then the crime stats start to go up.

Yeah, but is that The reason for these crimes being committed..... Is the question.

No the weather is not THE reason, but how often do you see homies sitting on a bench in the PJs when it's -10 and snowing? Chances are they will be inside somewhere, still committing crime, but not as much as they would on a nice sunny day.

Certain crimes are more prevalent in warmer weather though.

I don't buy that whole "the heat gets to their heads" as a reason for crime going up. But people are more likely to be up and about when the weather gets warmer. More people walking around = Increased interactions between people = Higher crime.

Neither do I.... I can't fathom someone goin out committing some crime on the basis of that it's warm outside.... that to me is just plain crazy....

"I jacked that b*tch b/c it's 95 degrees out, son"...

I know you got some dumb MF-ers out here, but goddamn if someone were to say/admit some'n like this.....

If anything, the (warmer) weather is responsible for more people out & about on the streets, not the reason that crime's increasing or w/e.... two different things....

No the weather is not THE reason, but how often do you see homies sitting on a bench in the PJs when it's -10 and snowing? Chances are they will be inside somewhere, still committing crime, but not as much as they would on a nice sunny day.

Certain crimes are more prevalent in warmer weather though.

Well there you go, that's what this article is asking....

Yeah there'll be less people out when the weather is colder....

Neither do I.... I can't fathom someone goin out committing some crime on the basis of that it's warm outside.... that to me is just plain crazy....

"I jacked that b*tch b/c it's 95 degrees out, son"...

I know you got some dumb MF-ers out here, but goddamn if someone were to say/admit some'n like this.....

If anything, the (warmer) weather is responsible for more people out & about on the streets, not the reason that crime's increasing or w/e.... two different things........

Well stated and agree B35. :tup: The warmer weather does increase more people being out that all and has little to reasons crime rates have jumped.

IMO just the media on a slower news day trying to sensationalize and hide the real reason for spike in crimes in NYC and nationwide over the last couple of years. The economy is still down the tubes, and many people still out of work. By trying to be different in this CBS2 using this 'new' theory on why crime is on the rise, it could bring more attention than stating the played out recession excuse crap.(the real reason)

Crime happens in the cold or in the heat. It doesn't matter at all.

While we are talking about unseasonable temps, this warm weather kinda indicates that we may have one brutal summer coming out way this year.

It does matter a bit, certain crimes are alot less likely to happen in the cold such as rape between people who don't know each other and some forms of gang activity. Also, when it gets really hot such as a heat wave, the animals tend to get restless and assaults and murders happen more then during cooler weather.

It does matter a bit, certain crimes are alot less likely to happen in the cold such as rape between people who don't know each other and some forms of gang activity. Also, when it gets really hot such as a heat wave, the animals tend to get restless and assaults and murders happen more then during cooler weather.

You have a point. But things like theft and such can occur any time.

Domestic violence often goes up in the cold, as people are inside more.

However, it is not just that people tend to be outside more when it is warm, so they are more likely to commit crimes outside. THe heat has a very big effect on levels of frustration tolerance, etc. People are less likely to control themselves when they are hot and uncomfortable. This only really applies in the summer, when it is very hot. Any increase in crimes now, when the temps are at 50 degrees, are either statistical anomalies or truly just occur because people happen to be out more. 50 degree weather does not cause people to be more violent outside.

Crime happens in the cold or in the heat. It doesn't matter at all.

While we are talking about unseasonable temps, this warm weather kinda indicates that we may have one brutal summer coming out way this year.

The way the weather has been so unpredictable these past years, it might not automatically mean a brutal summer either. Certainly no one could've predicted snow in October.

The way the weather has been so unpredictable these past years, it might not automatically mean a brutal summer either. Certainly no one could've predicted snow in October.

Nonetheless it is a plausible concern. This is one of those things that could go either way and most are quick to think the same way he does while others don't care.

Why does warm weather have to do with the rise of crime? I see drink people get into fights in the most coldest conditions.

(MTA) if you read the start of the threads it both the NYPD and the news media making this claim. I do agree that barring subzero temps, the weather has *little or no affect* on crime stats. As i stated before a bigger reason is the economy(don't believe what the folks in Washington want to say)and many still out of work.

Archived