Question about the 2001-03 MCI's

Juan833Blue

Yea its true. I kno the mci's from Oradell & Ironbound have gotten their old seats replaced with new rehabbed seats. The one's from fairview haven't tho bc I was on 7540 & 7790 last week & their seats looked really worn down. but I don't kno bout the other garages.

A lot of the Market Street & Wayne MCI D4000s/D4500s also have the newly rehabbed seats. Meadowlands also has some MCI D4000s with the newly rehabbed seats as well.

Alot of that "metal on metal" sound is brake dust. The cleaners really gotta hose down the holes in the rims until just clear water comes out. If you look at NJT's rims, they barely (if ever) clean them. Simple solution.

As far as rehabing the MCIs....they ALL need new signage just like the CNGs got. It might be cost effective as the CNGs are retired to reuse those signs into the other D4000s.

I also think they need to re-install the on/off switch for the jake brakes. I know they have been running those buses for years like that but one good snow/ice storm and somebody is gonna spin one.

I was shocked that they took out the switch. They practically beat it into us at Peter Pan that in rain/snow they want us to run with it off. Some guys will still use the jake in low if they have slow brakes but there are times in heavy rain that you can feel the drive wheels slide and it's not a cool feeling.

Lol we had a new guy that was line training with me on a day it was pouring and he started freaking out cause he stated the drive wheels were slipping. I usually have a 7100 so I was like turn the jake off. One thing njt beats it into you to keep those jakes on that's why on almost all buses the switch is not there. Lol don't get caught with it off tho with pax on board, however on our 7100s(ehg 7177-87)in the areas where the jakes are not permitted they say turn it off lol smfh.

• 1 month later...

Lol we had a new guy that was line training with me on a day it was pouring and he started freaking out cause he stated the drive wheels were slipping. I usually have a 7100 so I was like turn the jake off. One thing njt beats it into you to keep those jakes on that's why on almost all buses the switch is not there. Lol don't get caught with it off tho with pax on board, however on our 7100s(ehg 7177-87)in the areas where the jakes are not permitted they say turn it off lol smfh.

Speaking about Jakes, general question, but in your experience, are the Cat Jakes more powerful than the Detroit Jakes? I've always wondered, and I've gotten the impression that the Cat's are more powerful, judging from the brake jerk that they give when activating and downshifting... but that's just me.

Yeah the cats are stronger. They really give a nice jerk. If you get a newbie thats not comfortable with the air brakes lol then you better strap up nascar style! The Cummins Jake Brake is pretty strong also. The company my gf works at has Cummins CTS and man those jakes are something serious. Most of NJT mcis are rigged On the D4000s(except for 7531-41 but may be been rigged since they been at Fairview since 2007) n D4500s, however on the 2007 CLs you can choose Low/High, with the exception of Meadowlands/Wayne CLs. The exMTA CTs are rigged and you cant even hear the retarder nor feel it.

Yeah the cats are stronger. They really give a nice jerk. If you get a newbie thats not comfortable with the air brakes lol then you better strap up nascar style! The Cummins Jake Brake is pretty strong also. The company my gf works at has Cummins CTS and man those jakes are something serious. Most of NJT mcis are rigged On the D4000s(except for 7531-41 but may be been rigged since they been at Fairview since 2007) n D4500s, however on the 2007 CLs you can choose Low/High, with the exception of Meadowlands/Wayne CLs. The exMTA CTs are rigged and you cant even hear the retarder nor feel it.

Well, from what I know, the exMTA CT's don't have jakes on the cylinders; only the transmission retarder.... which does close to nothing compared to the jakes...

Archived