2012 Orion VII EPA10 CNG Discussion - Nassau Inter-County Express (Nice)

The "long" back door has been discontinued by Orion. The standard is now "even" doors. The only option I can see NICE taking is maybe Frameless windows. Thats about it.

Is there an advantage between frameless and framed windows?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Heres what the new 3Gs might look like

Option 1 Current MTA 3G specs

OrionVII3Gniceoption1.png

Option 2 the NG Specs

OrionVII3Gniceoption2.png

As N-Trizzy said, the doors are the same height on all Orion VII's now. You also have to remember that these are MTA specs, and the new 3G's are test buses anyway. Nassau's buses will likely have the Classic doors, and not the Ameriview (MTA 3g's) door anyway. That being said, can you make a NICE 3G with the new style of the classic Vapor doors like the one's on the C40LF's?

I love the Orion V CNGs, but the 12 year old ones running around now are all but dead. The signs are faded, the engines have lost most of their power, the interiors are done... I was on one last Monday and the bus operator tried pumping the brakes five times just to get the rear doors closed. After the last one, he just restarted the bus.

I love the Orion V CNGs, but the 12 year old ones running around now are all but dead. The signs are faded, the engines have lost most of their power, the interiors are done... I was on one last Monday and the bus operator tried pumping the brakes five times just to get the rear doors closed. After the last one, he just restarted the bus.

Yeah, but on the NG CNGs, the doors get jammed sometimes when they're being closed and the driver usually has to go back and pull the doors shut.

Yeah, but on the NG CNGs, the doors get jammed sometimes when they're being closed and the driver usually has to go back and pull the doors shut.

I must be lucky with the NGs, then, the only problem I've had with them is the rear doors staying open for three seconds longer than they should.

There was one from RVC which had a bent rear left door but they must have fixed it before the (MTA) left.

Rode two Orion Vs today, 1527 and 1631. 1631 had a broken CleverDevices screen in 2010 and they removed it before the end of that year, but they never got around to installing a new screen. I thought 1527 was going to be retired but it apparently popped up.... most of the HVAC systems on the old Orion Vs are dead. But goddamn it, the noise the compressor makes when the A/C is turned on is something to behold.

I must be lucky with the NGs, then, the only problem I've had with them is the rear doors staying open for three seconds longer than they should.

There was one from RVC which had a bent rear left door but they must have fixed it before the (MTA) left.

Rode two Orion Vs today, 1527 and 1631. 1631 had a broken CleverDevices screen in 2010 and they removed it before the end of that year, but they never got around to installing a new screen. I thought 1527 was going to be retired but it apparently popped up.... most of the HVAC systems on the old Orion Vs are dead. But goddamn it, the noise the compressor makes when the A/C is turned on is something to behold.

I don't remember the exact number, I remember taking one of the lower-numbered 1500s last week coming home on the n20.

As N-Trizzy said, the doors are the same height on all Orion VII's now. You also have to remember that these are MTA specs, and the new 3G's are test buses anyway. Nassau's buses will likely have the Classic doors, and not the Ameriview (MTA 3g's) door anyway. That being said, can you make a NICE 3G with the new style of the classic Vapor doors like the one's on the C40LF's?

Well I wouldn't distinguish then the difference of the 2G. and 3G just by looking at it. They should name the buses 1400-1452 and 1861-1900.

Well I wouldn't distinguish then the difference of the 2G. and 3G just by looking at it. They should name the buses 1400-1452 and 1861-1900.

Why use lower numbers? They should just keep the 1800s going or move on to 1900s. I think thats easier for record keeping.

You also have to remember that these are MTA specs,

I was thinking about this the other day... Does anyone know if these buses will be painted at the factory in Oriskany, NY? Or will they be delivered white (or with the (MTA) stripe and wrapped/painted in Garden City?

Also when will we get more details about the new buses. May's just around the corner...

OK, since no one's mentioned that Orion has been given the NTP, are these buses still going to be built by Orion now that they're shutting down and aren't accepting new orders?

I thought the order has already been made? Delivery will happen sometime this year.

OK, since no one's mentioned that Orion has been given the NTP, are these buses still going to be built by Orion now that they're shutting down and aren't accepting new orders?

I thought the order has already been made? Delivery will happen sometime this year.

If the order was already accepted by Orion, then yes they will be built.

The order is expected to be delivered, I think, in September. Daimler announced that they will be done accepting new orders by May 31, 2012. They are currently going over current negotiations with orders placed by other agencies. The 3G order for NICE was placed months ago and is still expected to be delivered. No word yet of any delays to our order.

• 1 month later...

Yayyy! Any idea why the change?

Probably to make up for the 3 buses that were totaled in accidents? I wish they'd be coming sooner than September, I dont see how the 1500s can make it through the summer. They are basically shot.

Probably to make up for the 3 buses that were totaled in accidents? I wish they'd be coming sooner than September, I dont see how the 1500s can make it through the summer. They are basically shot.

2 1800s were totaled in accidents and that 1600 that hit a bus last year got fixed. That's two buses, where is the third one from? There probably is another reason.

Extra service most likely

Even though I Love the 1500s, at ton of luminators are shot.

Yeah, but according to NICE standards, a piece of computer paper in the windshield with the route number written on it in black sharpie is enough. So who needs those luminators?

Archived