2012 Orion VII EPA10 CNG Discussion - Nassau Inter-County Express (Nice)

• 1 month later...

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, as you guys may know, the (MTA) 3G CNG order has been transferred to New Flyer for C40LF/C40LFRs. Anyone think the NICE order may also get transferred to New Flyer or another company?

Nah... If the (MTA) order was cancelled, tyhen what happens to their ordered buses? And, no. I think NICE will stay with the 3G order, I don't think they want to spend any more money than they have to.

So, as you guys may know, the (MTA) 3G CNG order has been transferred to New Flyer for C40LF/C40LFRs. Anyone think the NICE order may also get transferred to New Flyer or another company?

That's what I'm hoping, the article does say the (MTA) has an option for 30 buses that will not be used at this time. ;):)

Nah... If the (MTA) order was cancelled, tyhen what happens to their ordered buses? And, no. I think NICE will stay with the 3G order, I don't think they want to spend any more money than they have to.

VMN, Orion "transferred" this order to New Flyer, probably as part of Orions exit strategy to get out of the bus building business. Basically Orion said "we don't want to build buses anymore,we really don't want to build buses anymore. So much so... New Flyer we have an order for 75 buses, you want it?"

Obviously there was a lot more detail and this deal probably took a while to hammer out, having Orion, New Flyer and the (MTA) in agreement. But ^^^ that was basically what happened. I'm interested to see what happens to see to other orders in the future. It is a very real possibility this could happen to Nassau's order. It doesn't mean these buses will cost the agency anymore.

Currently the NICE bus fleet is similarly spec'd to the (MTA) and right now they're building a lot of (MTA) spec'd buses up in Crookston. MN.. ;) That's all I'm saying...

Guess what... http://www.newsday.c...fleet-1.3861230

Orion still producing the 45 bus order for NICE.

For those who can't read the article:

LINK: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=B9E0E626A64D88AA6E72.3247?site=newsday&view=search_results_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=longisland&feed:i=1.3861230&nopaging=1

Nassau has purchased 45 new buses to replace the oldest vehicles in the NICE fleet, county officials announced Wednesday.

The new vehicles are scheduled to be delivered by the end of the year, and could be in service as early as this fall, County Executive Edward Mangano said in a statement. The buses will replace those that are at least 12 years old and have 500,000 miles or more on them.

The overall size of the Nassau Inter-County Express fleet will remain at around 300 buses -- nearly two-thirds of which will be 4 years old or younger. Federal transit aid will pay for about 80 percent of the $21 million cost of the new buses, officials said.

The private firm Veolia Transportation took over operation of the fleet in January. Before then, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority had run the county's bus system since 1973.

"Since taking over operations, NICE has increased reliability of bus service for customers," Mangano said. "This purchase will provide a significantly improved riding experience for many NICE customers."

NICE chief executive Michael Setzer said having new buses will also reduce the number of breakdowns.

"Keeping the fleet in good working order and avoiding breakdowns, and keeping down the cost of repairs, has been one of our toughest problems since NICE began operating," Setzer said.

Charlene Obernauer of the Long Island Bus Riders Union said NICE customers have seen "significant problems" with older buses, including malfunctioning wheelchair lifts and announcements. The transit advocacy group plans to issue a report on some of the maintenance issues Thursday.

"We need to ensure that as we get new buses in, they're being properly maintained and that there are enough mechanics to properly service the buses," Obernauer said.

That doesn't say the order went to Daimler/Orion.

No, but this does:

LINK: http://libn.com/2012/07/26/nassau-county-purchases-45-new-buses-for-nice/

Nassau County is upgrading its bus fleet with 45 new buses.

The new vehicles, Orion Model VII buses, will replace some of the oldest buses currently being used by Nassau Inter-County Express. The buses to replaced are at least 12 years old and have more than 500,000 miles on them. Once the new models are phased in, just under two-thirds of Nassau’s 300-vehicle bus fleet will be four years old or younger.

Aging vehicles has been a tough issue for NICE to deal with since taking over the county’s bus operations from the MTA on Jan. 1.

“Keeping the fleet in good working order and avoiding breakdowns, and keeping down the cost of repairs, has been one of our toughest problems since NICE began operating,” NICE CEO Mike Setzer said. “Not only do our customers get a better ride and drivers operate better equipment, but our repair and maintenance challenges should improve because we are retiring buses that have the most issues and breakdowns.”

Each Orion Model VII is a 40-foot long, low-floor design bus that can seat between 40 and 44 seated riders plus standees. In addition, the new buses will run entirely on compressed natural gas – a cleaner, cheaper alternative to standard gasoline or diesel fuels.

The Federal Transit Administration provided a large part of the funding needed to purchase these buses. County Executive Ed Mangano said he expects the 45 new buses to be delivered no later than the end of 2012.

I would say most likely the order will stay with Orion... However, Orion assigned the (MTA) order to New Flyer so anything is possible. I believe the news story saying the buses will be Orion was taken from older information that said it was Orion. I think "anything can happen" is far more likely statement when looking at what happened with the (MTA) order.

East New York already posted in one of the other threads that the assignment of the 74-bus order to New Flyer was prompted by the MTA's concerns. Anything is possible but I think it's unlikely that Orion will assign any more of its orders to other manufacturers.

As history would have it, the last NG CNG, and the last 3G CNG will reside in Long Island. The order is still confirmed for 45 buses.

The last CNG's would have originally gone to MTA. It is possible for some or all of the MTA rejects to end up with NICE.

Well it made sense for Orion to move the order to New Flyer because the MTA was filling in a big order with them for almost 400 buses. For Orion just to fill in a order for 74 buses for the MTA wouldn't make sense because you would have all these New Flyer and so little Orion's. NICE on the other hand it does make sense because their whole fleet is Orion's. Now I believe the MTA originally was turning to New Flyer to make those 74 buses anyway so it worked out anyway. I heard that the last Orion's being made aren't doing so good so that may not be good for NICE but being cheap as they are the will still go for those buses.

According to the minutes of the CNYRTA board from June 22nd, on that date 30 of the buses from their order were at Orion's Oriskany plant and another 23 were in production at Mississauga, so that order is well underway. Are any other orders left on Orion's books besides Centro and NICE?

As history would have it, the last NG CNG, and the last 3G CNG will reside in Long Island. The order is still confirmed for 45 buses.

The last CNG's would have originally gone to MTA. It is possible for some or all of the MTA rejects to end up with NICE.

Do you know how many MTA rejects that were either finished or started?

Thanks, Wonder if Orion will find a buyer for them or if they end up as scrap.

Why would they scrap new buses worth almost $2 million dollars? The pilots might have technically been rejected by the MTA, but that was very likely an excuse to get Orion to reassign the contract to the authority's new preferred supplier. If NICE doesn't take the pilot buses, Orion will find a reliable past CNG bus customer who will be thrilled to get four new buses at a very favorable discount.

Why would they scrap new buses worth almost $2 million dollars? The pilots might have technically been rejected by the MTA, but that was very likely an excuse to get Orion to reassign the contract to the authority's new preferred supplier. If NICE doesn't take the pilot buses, Orion will find a reliable past CNG bus customer who will be thrilled to get four new buses at a very favorable discount.

If NICE doesnt take them, Orion will have to sell them at a loss!

A few bus operators here say that the ZF transmissions take hills better. The only hills I can recall of are all the way up north... what about the flatter south shore?

That big hill on Northern Blvd is like death. It takes so much to go up that hill, but going down, some drivers speed the hell down.

A few bus operators here say that the ZF transmissions take hills better. The only hills I can recall of are all the way up north... what about the flatter south shore?

I don't know if going over bridges on the Meadowbrook or over the southern state count...

Archived