Interesting (5) and (6) Go. Weekend of Mar.24

Abba

(4) Express service affected in Manhattan

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Mar 24 - 26

Utica Av-bound trains run local from 125 St to Brooklyn Bridge.

Woodlawn-bound trains run local from 14 St-Union Sq to 125 St.

• Please allow additional travel time.

(6)Service is extended to Bowling Green

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Mar 24 - 26

Service operates between Pelham Bay Park and Bowling Green.

(5) Express service affected in Manhattan

Weekend, 6 AM to 11 PM Sat, Mar 24

8 AM to 11 PM Sun, Mar 25

Bowling Green-bound trains run local from 125 St to Brooklyn Bridge.

Dyre Av-bound trains run local from 14 St-Union Sq to 125 St.

• Please allow additional travel time.

Note: (5)service runs every 20 minutes during this time.

This is the first time I remember 2 lines terminating at Bowling Green at the Same time.I know the (5) is runnng every 20 min.But still I found it interesting.Any thought?

just a note. that's when the Bowling Green Station got renovated in the late 70s then the elevators were serviced in 2007

The current Orange like station design from Bowling Green is from the 1970s?

Wow I thought late 80s or 90s o_OOOOO..

There were several things happening in the late-1970's

1) The Ferry Schedule had changed during the day times to one boat every 30 minutes under Mayor Koch due to the fiscal crisis - previously the day-time ferry schedule was one boat every 20 minutes.

2) The rush hour schedule of the ferry had also changed from a boat every 10 to 15 minutes to boats running every 15 or 20 minutes apart. All under Mayor Koch due to the 1970's fiscal crisis.

3) The very late night schedule and early morning weekend schedule had changed from a boat every 30 minutes to a boat every 60 minutes. All under Mayor Koch due to the 1970's fiscal crisis.

4) This is generally the same basic schedule that has been followed for 30-something years until the recent additions in 2004, under Mayor Bloomberg.

--------

Bottom Line - For Staten Islander's - missing the ferry was becoming a hassle. Catching the ferry becomes more important, because missing a boat results in a penalty - a time penalty. Waiting in the terminal for the boat becomes something to avoid.

During the late 1970's renovation of the Bowling Green station meant that ferry shuttle riders had to leave the head house, and return downstairs by a hastly constructed staircase to the shuttle platform. Many ferry riders realized that the Bowling Green station is only a short walking distance from the Ferry Terminal. Many would rather walk the distance - and make the boat - rather than take the shuttle and miss the boat, and wait a long time for the next boat. Many walked the distance - this reduced patronage on the ferry shuttle.

---------

Due to the inner loop station having pre-set door openings only for the middle doors of the subway car type then used when the station was designed - the TA found it increasingly difficult to keep and service the older modified cars. The much older IRT cars could selectively open either the middle doors, the end doors, or all doors on a side of a train. All of the newer subway cars ordered since the 1950's opened all doors on a side at once. The TA would have to designate and modify newer cars to operate on the ferry shuttle. At the same time, the TA wanted to close the inner loop station.

When both #5 and #6 trains ran to South Ferry during the weekends and midnight hours, those trains used the outer platform of the #1 train - providing a rare eastside-westside transfer from the same platform in Manhattan. There only the first five cars of a train could operate at the outer loop, a situation that remained in place until the recent building of a new South Ferry terminal station for the #1 train. However now, only #1 trains can access the new terminal station. The older South Ferry loop stations, platforms and tracks are closed to the public.

The TA also in the 1970's started to terminate #5 trains at the Bowling Green station (again due to the 1970's fiscal crisis, and the changes for many subway routes). In order to terminate #5 trains at Bowling Green such trains used the inner loop track at South Ferry, the same track as the Ferry Shuttle train. Meaning that the ferry shuttle could only run when that track was clear, but however #5 trains had higher priority for the usage of that track. Thus ferry shuttle trips were not frequent - which is not helpful if you're trying to make the ferry.

-----------

Thus by the time the Bowling Green renovation is nearly completed, the South Ferry shuttle is discontinued. Thus the shuttle platform while functional has never been used.

-------------

Generally when #5 and #6 trains run to Bowling Green or South Ferry - it happened not actually at the same time. Generally #5 trains would run to Bowling Green or South Ferry until its usual ending period at night, and then the #6 train would start to terminate at Bowling Green or South Ferry.

Just a few happenings of the 1970's.

Mike

With ATS its easy to terminate two services in a loop setup now.

True.But does it really pay to run the (5) train that weekend if its running local anyway.And if the (6) is going to Bowling green anyway. It's the same as the (6) past 125th st.

I think the rhetoric has been rather a handful of (5)s than no (5)s at all, making the (4) SRO all day and evening long. In the past they have had (5)'s going Bowling Green to 149-GC to make up the gap in service. In addition, when the (5) wasn't there there often would be extra (4)'s, and they would have to provide GO crews to man those trips. I notice there being fewer and fewer GO crews now.

I mean with the (N) 34th-Herald Sq shuttle they had the (Q) up in Astoria during the weekend days a few weeks ago, I guess they felt just running extra trains for the essential part of the route was cheaper (or it could just be a pilot to see which ran better, these shuttles or having the (Q) up there and paying GO crews for the (Q) and GO crews for the (N) for after they stopped running the (Q) up to Astoria). It's all coming down to them trying to cut costs for all GO work, not just FASTTRACK. I did manage to work the (N) shuttle today, and yes, it was mayhem at 34st. There was NOT A SIGN TO BE FOUND. I had to manually tell everyone both trips there were no (Q)'s coming, and it was even harder telling them how to get to the (Q). Both ways were inconvenient (sitting on a (R) thru the tunnel to Whitehall, or taking the (N) across the bridge, but then having to do that long walk from Pacific St over to Atlantic Av-Brighton)

I think the rhetoric has been rather a handful of (5)s than no (5)s at all, making the (4) SRO all day and evening long. In the past they have had (5)'s going Bowling Green to 149-GC to make up the gap in service. In addition, when the (5) wasn't there there often would be extra (4)'s, and they would have to provide GO crews to man those trips. I notice there being fewer and fewer GO crews now.

The (5)s also help the (2) out as well instead of having that train be more SRO than it already is.

Archived