Where are the best spots to view/photograph all of the yards?

CDTA

I can name a few...

ENY: best place is from either the Manhattan-bound (J) platform or on the overpass to the (L) platform...or even the platform itself. There may be a slant all the way at the other end of the yard but its hard to tell.

Canarsie: from on the platform or the exit to E. 98 st/Glenwood Rd. It may be harder now since they put up that new gate but you can still get a good shot of the (L) on one of the tracks from that passageway

Corona: your only choice is from the footbridge to the park...still some redbirds in there along with some diesel and garbage trains.

207: best place is from the uptown (1) platform at 215 St

Everything else, you on your own

I can name a few...

ENY: best place is from either the Manhattan-bound (J) platform or on the overpass to the (L) platform...or even the platform itself. There may be a slant all the way at the other end of the yard but its hard to tell.

ENY doesn't have a slant.

Pikin yard is not easy to photograph, but easy to view if you walk on the ramps to the apt buildings on top of the yard.

I guess you could take pics of the trains from a side-way angle, but you can't photograph the front of the trains because of the angle.

Lenox yard, neither is possible but there's nothing interesting in Lenox anyway lol.

Livonia, can't take photos of it, but you can view it from Linden blvd.

lol. I sometimes do take a photo of the yard. Because I know it ain't for something baddddd..

Now from other NON-Transit buffs views, this will count as suspicious in there eyes, so just watch out of all the watch dogs out there :P!

lol. I sometimes do take a photo of the yard. Because I know it ain't for something baddddd..

Now from other NON-Transit buffs views, this will count as suspicious in there eyes, so just watch out of all the watch dogs out there B)!

Yeah, if you take pictures or videos of MTA/MNRR/LIRR you're bound to be stopped eventually. As a matter of fact I got stopped by LIRR officals the other day. :P

There's an alley on McDonald Av that leads to the south entrance/exit gate of the CI Yard. As I went through the alley three transit police rolled up - asked me why I was there, I told them I was a railfan, they searched me and let me go. They said as long as you don't have anything you're not supposed to have (spray paint, etc) you're good. Seeing those 68s and 160s at grade was pretty nice.

There's an alley on McDonald Av that leads to the south entrance/exit gate of the CI Yard. As I went through the alley three transit police rolled up - asked me why I was there, I told them I was a railfan, they searched me and let me go. They said as long as you don't have anything you're not supposed to have (spray paint, etc) you're good. Seeing those 68s and 160s at grade was pretty nice.

Is that alley still public property or Private [MTA] property? i would like to pay it a visit sometime and get a few good shots of the yard.

Is that alley still public property or Private [MTA] property? i would like to pay it a visit sometime and get a few good shots of the yard.

Honestly I have no idea as there was no sign. If you are going just be prepared to be stopped. I was about 120 ft into the alley when (they) a vehicle sneaked up on me.

I'm sure this has been mentioned on this forum before, so apologies, but if I come to New York and take a photo as I wait for a train will I get some strange looks?

Here in the UK most stations allow photography as long as you stay out the way of the travelling public and don't use the flash. Depots are more difficult but books are produced detailing locations, how to get there and the best places to view the traction from. The largest has a large grass hill next to it and tens of enthusiasts stand there all day with cameras and binoculars.

Some stations are enthusiast friendly and the station staff love it, they discourage anti-social behaviour and are seen as an extra pair of eyes. Most staff aren't fussed, some are enthusiasts themselves, others aren't, fail to see the attraction and shrug their shoulders and leave them to it. One or two are anti-enthusiasts and can be rude or obnoxious. A few have made the national press with stories and complaints and surprisingly the trains companies usually side with the enthusiast "they are doing no harm" and some

On the Tube it's trickier but on one line (the Bakerloo) Northbound trains are routed through one of the depot roads, actually through the shed! Again photography is tolerated. A lot of tourists photograph each other on the platforms and on the trains.

I have a picture of one sign at a station which reads:

"Network Rail and South West Trains welcome rail enthusiasts to Eastleigh. However we would like to remind you of a few important things while you are here:

- Please stay behind the yellow line on the platform.

- Please don't use flash photography. It can distract train drivers and station staff.

- Please don't wear clothing similar in colour to safety clothing such as high visibility jackets. This can also be distracting to train crew and station staff.

- Please stay in public areas. Anyone found to be in an unauthorised area will be asked to leave the station.

A full list of guidelines for enthusiasts can be found on the Network Rail website.

Thank you for your co-operation."

I'm sure this has been mentioned on this forum before, so apologies, but if I come to New York and take a photo as I wait for a train will I get some strange looks?

Here in the UK most stations allow photography as long as you stay out the way of the travelling public and don't use the flash. Depots are more difficult but books are produced detailing locations, how to get there and the best places to view the traction from. The largest has a large grass hill next to it and tens of enthusiasts stand there all day with cameras and binoculars.

Some stations are enthusiast friendly and the station staff love it, they discourage anti-social behaviour and are seen as an extra pair of eyes. Most staff aren't fussed, some are enthusiasts themselves, others aren't, fail to see the attraction and shrug their shoulders and leave them to it. One or two are anti-enthusiasts and can be rude or obnoxious. A few have made the national press with stories and complaints and surprisingly the trains companies usually side with the enthusiast "they are doing no harm" and some

On the Tube it's trickier but on one line (the Bakerloo) Northbound trains are routed through one of the depot roads, actually through the shed! Again photography is tolerated. A lot of tourists photograph each other on the platforms and on the trains.

Our policies are very similar to the ones you have described. Nevertheless the staff reaction can be very different, some will ask you to stop, some will ignore and few others who wouldn't mind. Hope you like it here:tup:

To stay on topic, I found 240th yard way too dull. All uniform train sets, no special equipment; as Homer would say "Boooooring"

Archived