High Cost of NJ Transit - Both buses and trains

RtrainBlues

Does anyone else find it odd that NJ Transit railroads now charge rush-hour fares at all times of the day and night, including weekends? Two of my friends recently took NJ Transit on a weekend, about a 45 minute ride south each way, and it cost them SIXTY BUCKS round-trip! Would have been far cheaper to drive, which is what they are doing from now on.

Do all the buses charge extra fares based on zones? Are there any buses that are considered a flat fare where you could go 10 or 20 miles for a flat fare? In all the cities I have traveled to across the country, as well as in the 5 boroughs, Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester, it's just a flat fare whenever you get on a local bus. (The only bargain I see is the $1.50 PATH fare from NYC to Newark, when you buy 10 rides for $1.50. Which is why that's the farthest I will go in NJ using mass transit.)

Does anyone else find it odd that NJ Transit railroads now charge rush-hour fares at all times of the day and night, including weekends? Two of my friends recently took NJ Transit on a weekend, about a 45 minute ride south each way, and it cost them SIXTY BUCKS round-trip! Would have been far cheaper to drive, which is what they are doing from now on.

Do all the buses charge extra fares based on zones? Are there any buses that are considered a flat fare where you could go 10 or 20 miles for a flat fare? In all the cities I have traveled to across the country, as well as in the 5 boroughs, Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester, it's just a flat fare whenever you get on a local bus. (The only bargain I see is the $1.50 PATH fare from NYC to Newark, when you buy 10 rides for $1.50. Which is why that's the farthest I will go in NJ using mass transit.)

How did you pay $60 round trip obviously you were doing it WRONG!!!!Did you go to AC?? If so round trip is $39!!!!! NOT $60!!!! no line in NJT comes close to that price. Also if you use local buses the most you will pay is 3 or 2 zone so that would be quite cheap. You need to familirize yourself with NJT's fare structure cause you PAYED TOO MUCH. YOU DID IT WRONG!!!!

Some of you didn't read his wording right. It normal what they paid for. He clearly stated "2 of my friends paid $60 bucks round trip" which mean "$30 roundtrip per person." there are few selection that will cost you that much since you didn't mention the departing point.

Do you mean $60 each person or $60 all together? I have worked at NJT and there is NO way any round trip ticket costs $60. Now as for flat rates, all the buses are based on zones. There isn't any flat rate bus services unlike MTA or other companies.

Does anyone else find it odd that NJ Transit railroads now charge rush-hour fares at all times of the day and night, including weekends? Two of my friends recently took NJ Transit on a weekend, about a 45 minute ride south each way, and it cost them SIXTY BUCKS round-trip!

Do all the buses charge extra fares based on zones? Are there any buses that are considered a flat fare where you could go 10 or 20 miles for a flat fare?

The OP was pretty clear on this one. His two friends, took a 45 minute, south-bound, NJ Transit train ride which, in total, cost them $60.

This appears to be correct. For example, per NJ Transit website, the ride from New York Penn Station to Point Pleasant Beach, the fare, Adult One Way is $15.50. Therefore, 2 adults would pay, in total $62.

To answer the OP's questions:

1) Unless the bus travels exclusively within one zone, determined by NJ Transit map, then each additional zone you cross, you pay additional fare (which is assessed by inquiry from the bus operator, or passenger statement when boarding).

2) All buses use the zone structure, some travel exclusively within one zone such as Bus 80 (entirely within Jersey City). The 319 bus, offers an "excursion" , round trip fare from New York/Jersey City/Newark to Atlantic City.

Simply put, NJT is a zone based system....

Not gonna sit here & argue what's high cost & what isn't....

I tried all the sneaky MTA lingo possible to try and get through to em. I even through in the revenue cost neutrality interlining lingo in there.

yeah, lingo they themselves made up.....

The trick is it would actually cut costs on several routes besides when I speak many ppl mistake me for a transit planner seriously it's true.

1) first half of this statement has absolutely nothin to do with the second half of this statement....

2) I actually believe you when you say many ppl. mistake you for a transit planner....

The question is though.... How many of these same ppl. are transit savvy enough to dissect your plans & come to realize how truly inane they are.....

Simply put, NJT is a zone based system....

Not gonna sit here & argue what's high cost & what isn't....

yeah, lingo they themselves made up.....

1) first half of this statement has absolutely nothin to do with the second half of this statement....

2) I actually believe you when you say many ppl. mistake you for a transit planner....

The question is though.... How many of these same ppl. are transit savvy enough to dissect your plans & come to realize how truly inane they are.....

I actually left out details that make many of my plans work. Most are based on traffic habits and are opportunistic meaning high gas prices increases potential ridership beyond what is expected. Plus many are based on some existing bus studies. My upstate one was inspired by the dutchess loop bus study and history itself. Also many ppl like convenience the NJT one I had to revise several times since my planner friend found many flaws in the first drafts. He helped me remove some very inefficient parts that messed with it's intention. All of my ideas involve highways and I chose to modify others based on feedback. some of my NICE ideas were recieved well by bus drivers and riders alike and one thing I also learned IT'S THE RIDERS THAT MATTER THE MOST NOT SO CALLED savvy self proclaimed experts I learned that from brooklynbus and many ppl I spoke with.The buses are NOTHING WITHOUT THE RIDERS!!!!

I actually left out details that make many of my plans work. Most are based on traffic habits and are opportunistic meaning high gas prices increases potential ridership beyond what is expected. Plus many are based on some existing bus studies. My upstate one was inspired by the dutchess loop bus study and history itself. Also many ppl like convenience the NJT one I had to revise several times since my planner friend found many flaws in the first drafts. He helped me remove some very inefficient parts that messed with it's intention. All of my ideas involve highways and I chose to modify others based on feedback. some of my NICE ideas were recieved well by bus drivers and riders alike and one thing I also learned IT'S THE RIDERS THAT MATTER THE MOST NOT SO CALLED savvy self proclaimed experts I learned that from brooklynbus and many ppl I spoke with.The buses are NOTHING WITHOUT THE RIDERS!!!!

Dude..... get back on topic please like 80% of the time you make it go off topic to start...

All of my ideas involve highways and I chose to modify others based on feedback. some of my NICE ideas were recieved well by bus drivers and riders alike and one thing I also learned IT'S THE RIDERS THAT MATTER THE MOST NOT SO CALLED savvy self proclaimed experts I learned that from brooklynbus and many ppl I spoke with.The buses are NOTHING WITHOUT THE RIDERS!!!!

The funny thing in all this word capitalization there is.... You aren't saying anything profound here.

1) It doesn't matter if "bus drivers & riders alike" took in your ideas....

It refutes & disproves nothing.... They're not the ones you ultimately need to convince anyway....

Realistically (meaning, not on no internet isht), I dare you to bother a b/o from one depot/garage about the enhancing of a route from another depot/garage..... I dare you to hound a rider of a particular route with some idea involving a route that person knows absolutely nothin about..... You won't do either because you will be met with some serious resistance in the real world - such of which you cannot handle.... I guarantee it, especially with the way you express yourself on here & on city data.....

So yeah, thanks for proving my point in mentioning b/o's & "the riders"....

These are folks that generally don't know (or care to know) how ludicrous your suggestions are.

2) Yeah, Public transportation is nothin without the riders....

You sound like this is a concept you've recently learned - While goin out of your way to let us know it... lol...

3) "so called savvy self-proclaimed experts" ????

- How many times is this now that you've insulted the NYCTF collective ?

- Who's the one tryna prove himself to one of the very people he's insulting?

- The same person who's thanked members on here due to their feedback....

Sad part is, you just dissed yourself with that crack too & don't even realize it.

Anyway....

I wish they lower the fares on the NEC.... especially when it takes 90+ mins to get from trenton to NYP.....

that'll always be the NJT line I despise....

you know its bad when you have those that take amtrak into the city from TTC.... god knows how much those tickets cost...

I have no beef with the fares of the commuter rail system, the fares are about the same as the LIRR & Metro North where its usually around 30 bucks for a RT ticket to ride a line end to end and back.

A RT to Dover costs 28 bucks and a round trip to Pohkeepsie costs around 30 bucks. About the same distance and time (about a hour and a half).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That trip should have cost 54 bucks (plus parking?). What people don't get is that the fares are geared towards commuters who usually buy monthly or weekly passes. NJT has to cover budget shortfalls by raising fares and cutting service. If you don't like this vote for people who will increase funding to the point where fares either stabilize, or go down. As for 90 minutes, you must be taking one of those weekend super locals. Anyone going on a trip using transit should know weekend service is going to be a shadow of weekday service.

NJTR is a commuter railroad. Before the 25% fare increase the fares were a huge discount on travel to NYC.

- A

Archived