One Change that should not be made and others that are long overdue

BrooklynBus

Neighborhood signage (thru universal NYC or MTA nomenclature and design) should really be returned to individual neighborhood and community oversight, leaving DOT to deal only with issues that span several neighborhoods or multiple boros (such as highway repairs). This is done in the counties immediately surrounding the city. Besides schools, a noticable difference in road quality, signage, etc are in these towns and small cities around the immdiate region. Not saying they're all better (they're not), but that's the inherent inefficiency of bureaucracies. A misplaced sign or something in Rockville Centre (Nassau) or Pelham (Westchester) when reported, would be dealt with by weeks' end, instead of year's end (or never) within the boros.

In this same way, individual communities can monitor their own bus service, allowing parking in bus stops during the hours that those particular lines do not run (unlike now, where its just police/fire abusing their rights with their placards in their personal vehicles), if in fact all the lines that make use of that stop don't run all the time.

For instance, the Bx4A is downstairs from my building, the first bus doesn't arrive until almost 6am, the last bus went by the stop by 11pm. Parking should be allowed there 11pm-530am. Of course, police and fire get to park their vehicles there whenever, and typically do at the larger stops.

I sense a Via post in this thread soon :P

For instance, the Bx4A is downstairs from my building, the first bus doesn't arrive until almost 6am, the last bus went by the stop by 11pm. Parking should be allowed there 11pm-530am. Of course, police and fire get to park their vehicles there whenever, and typically do at the larger stops.

I sense a Via post in this thread soon :P

DOT did change the restrictions allowing parking on weekends when the B2 weekend operations ceased. They may do the same when there is no overnight service if requested by the Community Board.

DOT did change the restrictions allowing parking on weekends when the B2 weekend operations ceased. They may do the same when there is no overnight service if requested by the Community Board.

That's nice to hear, its just one wishes that change would come from the top (since this is the trickle-down Bloomberg administration) instead of complaints from the bottom (powerless community boards).

That is very crazy.

I was NYCDOT Truck today at 5th Av/80th St and they deleted M1 bus sign, but not putting weekdays.

Lots of LIB (NICE) Bus signs are dark.

I wonder if NICE will make clear bus stop signs.

Yesterday, at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, around 11:42, I was planning to get on Q21 Arvene, and I flag for bus while I was taking pic, but sign was hidden by pole, he didn't stop, so I was forced to take Q53 to Q22 for N32 bus.

Speaking of sign, do you remember when T&LC pilot program of group taxi ride at 8th Av/56th St, but that sign was very small for taxi riders and taxi drivers, often blocked by delivery truck or bunching buses, no one can see sign.

The DOT needs to be broken up and made smaller. It's too big and there are too many hands in the pot, not to mention a lack of oversight.

Splitting it up into regions by Boro isn't going to change much, they probably still wont change the bulbs in the lights and install the right signs.

In Nassau and Suffolk and other parts of New York, there's more than one agency handling the roads, the State DOT does the highways and the main roads like Route 24, 25, 107, etc. The county has a whole set of roads they handle, then whatever's left is up to the town or village the road is located in.

Neighborhood signage (thru universal NYC or MTA nomenclature and design) should really be returned to individual neighborhood and community oversight, leaving DOT to deal only with issues that span several neighborhoods or multiple boros (such as highway repairs). This is done in the counties immediately surrounding the city. Besides schools, a noticable difference in road quality, signage, etc are in these towns and small cities around the immdiate region. Not saying they're all better (they're not), but that's the inherent inefficiency of bureaucracies. A misplaced sign or something in Rockville Centre (Nassau) or Pelham (Westchester) when reported, would be dealt with by weeks' end, instead of year's end (or never) within the boros.

In this same way, individual communities can monitor their own bus service, allowing parking in bus stops during the hours that those particular lines do not run (unlike now, where its just police/fire abusing their rights with their placards in their personal vehicles), if in fact all the lines that make use of that stop don't run all the time.

I sense a Via post in this thread soon :)

Told ya :)

LMAO!!!!!!

The DOT needs to be broken up and made smaller. It's too big and there are too many hands in the pot, not to mention a lack of oversight.

It was already made much smaller. They used to be in charge of the enforcement agents. That was moved to the Police Department. Also the unit in charge of overseeing private bus operations is gone. I believe highway maintenance comes under the jurisdiction of State DOT.

Archived