Volunteers needed to assist us in expanding "QM20" Express bus service to Lower Manhattan

Bounad Hanhic

Good morning,

We are currently working in Northeast Queens on efforts to bring Lower Manhattan service on the QM20 Express Bus. Right now we are beginning a petition drive in our area and we need volunteers to come out and help us out with conducting our petition drive. We currently are in need of volunteers for our petition drive which will be held at the Bay Terrace Shopping Center in Bayside on Sat 3/10 from 10AM-6PM; Sun 3/11 from 10AM-7PM; and Sun 3/18 from 10AM-7PM. Friday 3/9 from 3PM-8PM at 57th Street and 3rd Avenue in Manhattan Monday 3/12 from 3PM-8PM at 57th Street and 3rd Avenue in Manhattan. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone is interested and if anyone is interested in helping us out, please email me at bounadhanhic (at) yahoo (dot) com. Stipends will be offered. Thank you very much and best regards to all.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Bounad Hanhic,

While I am not a resident of Bay Terrace, I feel the pain of the express bus riders in Bay Terrace, as I too rely on the express bus as my primary means of transportation. You guys are in an area of Queens that is grossly underserved and I would like to help. Is there anything that we can do on the internet or any petitions that we can sign in support of extending the QM20 to Downtown? :tup:

Perhaps one of the mods could modify the title of the thread slightly to clarify what the thread pertains to??

Hello Bounad Hanhic,

While I am not a resident of Bay Terrace, I feel the pain of the express bus riders in Bay Terrace, as I too rely on the express bus as my primary means of transportation. You guys are in an area of Queens that is grossly underserved and I would like to help. Is there anything that we can do on the internet or any petitions that we can sign in support of extending the QM20 to Downtown? :tup:

Perhaps one of the mods could modify the title of the thread slightly to clarify what the thread pertains to??

We are looking for volunteers to do petitioning at the Bay Terrace Shopping Center, and we will also be doing petitioning in Manhattan at 57th Street and 3rd Avenue at the express bus stop. So if you would like to help by volunteering it would be appreciated. We will soon be preparing an online petition as well.

We are looking for volunteers to do petitioning at the Bay Terrace Shopping Center, and we will also be doing petitioning in Manhattan at 57th Street and 3rd Avenue at the express bus stop. So if you would like to help by volunteering it would be appreciated. We will soon be preparing an online petition as well.

I would be more than happy to sign the online petition so please do let me know when it is ready. I am not sure if I'll be able to attend any of the petitions however, but I may be able to go over to 57th street and 3rd Avenue if I can find the time.

Welcome Aboard Bounad. While i give you 'props' for trying to expand bus service in an area of Queens that needs, why not also try to pentition for *restoring* cuts for a couple of local Queens routes in NE Queens as well i.e (Q79) weekend (Q26) etc. as well? Just my thoughts.

Welcome Aboard Bounad. While i give you 'props' for trying to expand bus service in an area of Queens that needs, why not also try to pentition for *restoring* cuts for a couple of local Queens routes in NE Queens as well i.e (Q79) weekend (Q26) etc. as well? Just my thoughts.

You mean (Q79) weekends only? or weekdays only?

Right now we are working on getting QM20 lower manhattan service as those riders have reached out to us and we have been getting a lot of requests to take this on. The Q26 and Q79 situation is that where people are already "working" on it and has been addressed despite the Q79 issue being tabled and Q26 having rush hour service only. However, Express bus riders in Northeast Queens have had hopes for Lower Manhattan service for many years and now with Lower Manhattan being revitalized, now is the best time to take this on for the Northeast Queens Express bus riders.

Right now we are working on getting QM20 lower manhattan service as those riders have reached out to us and we have been getting a lot of requests to take this on.

I am glad to see you guys taking this on. We express bus riders have needs to. We pay a lot for our service at $5.50 a pop and we should not be punished because we decide to live in areas that don't have subways and such. From what I can see the (MTA) has treated Queens express bus riders like garbage, offering them the bare minimum, and it is time that they get their fare share of express bus service. Queens is often overlooked when it comes to express bus service particularly in that area of Queens and they can use all of the express bus service they can get.

I would second that as our riders generally have to rely on the R or the 4,5,6 in order to get Downtown. Or do as many Northeast Queens residents do, drive to Fresh Meadows for the QM7 or QM8 to go Downtown.

Quite frankly more communities in Queens should be doing this because the express bus service that the (MTA) runs in Queens is ridiculous. Where I live in Riverdale, we are well served by express buses. I can't understand why they are so frugal with service. :tdown:

Two things:

- I don't care about receiving a stipend for something like this... I'm not one to accept monies for something I strongly believe in..... dead serious.

- I won't be attending the rallies, but since you come off as being genuine & forthright, I'll sign the online petition (I'm not too fond of those either to be honest) whenever it's available to support your cause.... I casually joyride the QM2/20; panning over the timeframe of about a handful of years now..... So I have firsthand knowledge (as opposed to just hearsay) as to how legitimate your concerns are regarding the old 2a.....

If a smaller community like glendale gets to have lower manhattan & midtown manhattan service, so should the NE region of Queens.... a couple qm2 runs can be made to serve willets pt. blvd heading to midtown, while the 20 runs nonstop to lwr manhattan....

I'll definitely sign the petition, however I won't be attending the rallies and accepting stipends because it wouldn't be nice to be accepting money for voluteering something the person cares deeply about, in this case, improving transportation.

Well we need volunteers and if someone wants to volunteer their time it is greatly appreciated, but getting volunteers can sometimes be very hard so you have to encourage people this way. In other words, if you are really interested in our cause, want to volunteer and strongly believe in the cause and do not want anything, you do not have to take a penny from us, even if we picked up off of the ground and gave it to you. Not having to give a stipend to someone would save us on costs LOL. We have not organized any rallies, we just need people to stand at the bus stop and in front of a supermarket located at a shopping center to obtain petition signatures.

I'll definitely sign the petition, however I won't be attending the rallies and accepting stipends because it wouldn't be nice to be accepting money for voluteering something the person cares deeply about, in this case, improving transportation.

Not to go off topic but Keystone 'stipends' does not always mean $$$. Over years doing 'volunteer' works such as the old Jerry Lewis MDA Labor Day telethon we would get paid lunch from say Katz's and Mcdonald's. So it's not an insult in that situation.

Not to go off topic but Keystone 'stipends' does not always mean $$$. Over years doing 'volunteer' works such as the old Jerry Lewis MDA Labor Day telethon we would get paid lunch from say Katz's and Mcdonald's. So it's not an insult in that situation.

Hey one of my friends has X32, BxM4A/BxM4B schedules and LIB timetables from 2003 that he wants to give away and we would gladly give that out as a "stipend"

One can always transfer to a local bus on 5th avenue while in manhattan.

Kinda defeats the purpose of paying 5.50 to get to manhattan....

I don't know of ONE express bus commuter that wants to take a local bus within manhattan, after having came off a bus emanating from their outerborough..... and I can assure you no one would look forward from coming from that section of Queens taking the full Qm2/20 - to then have to take the M5 from 34th to lwr. manhattan.....

Not to go off topic but Keystone 'stipends' does not always mean $$$.

then it wouldn't be a stipend... it would be a non-monetary gift/handout/compensation (for their time)....

I misreffered to B35 via Church's post... It made me think it meant money, :(...

well that's what a stipend is....

Anyway, his offering of a stipend isn't a reason I won't be going to the actual rallies.... that was your stance; quite frankly, one I didn't understand - if you were/are originally interested in going to the rallies....

Kinda defeats the purpose of paying 5.50 to get to manhattan....

I don't know of ONE express bus commuter that wants to take a local bus within manhattan, after having came off a bus emanating from their outerborough.....

then it wouldn't be a stipend... it would be a non-monetary gift/handout....

well that's what a stipend is....

Anyway, his offering of a stipend isn't a reason I won't be going to the actual rallies.... that was your stance; quite frankly, one I didn't understand - if you were/are originally interested in going to the rallies....

As I have said before, no one is obligated to take stipends/non monetary gifts from us.

Right now we are working on getting QM20 lower manhattan service as those riders have reached out to us and we have been getting a lot of requests to take this on.

Just to play Devil's Advocate...

Do these folks actually intend to use the bus daily, or do they merely want the bus to be there "just in case" they "might" need it?

Just to play Devil's Advocate...

Do these folks actually intend to use the bus daily, or do they merely want the bus to be there "just in case" they "might" need it?

They use the Express bus and transfer to and from the Subway on a daily basis. Some people are also fed up with having to drive to the QM7 and QM8 for Downtown service on a daily basis as well.

Archived