Volunteers needed to assist us in expanding "QM20" Express bus service to Lower Manhattan

Bounad Hanhic

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They use the Express bus and transfer to and from the Subway on a daily basis. Some people are also fed up with having to drive to the QM7 and QM8 for Downtown service on a daily basis as well.

I'm curious what you guys think the (MTA)'s response will be to this and also how they could make this cost neutral? Just so you know, that will be their main argument. How many folks do you suppose would use the QM20 if Downtown runs were added?

Something I don't understand is though, in general, why does Queens get such poor express bus service considering how far out some of these areas are and the lack of transportation options to and from the city? Most of the express bus lines in Queens (excluding the X63, X64, and X68) are run by (MTA) Bus, which does receive funding from the city to help them run service, so why can't more monies be given to beef up and extend service to folks in Queens??? Many of the lines in terms of the time from end to end seem to be comparable to the express bus lines in the Bronx and it seems like the Bronx gets very good express bus service. Hell even Brooklyn gets crappy express bus service these days.

Now, from my observations, the folks in the Bronx do use their express bus service (and we most certainly do in Riverdale), but so do the folks on the majority of the express bus lines in Queens. I'm starting to believe that politics are at play here because I can't think of any reason to explain it.

I'm curious what you guys think the (MTA)'s response will be to this and also how they could make this cost neutral? Just so you know, that will be their main argument. How many folks do you suppose would use the QM20 if Downtown runs were added?

Something I don't understand is though, in general, why does Queens get such poor express bus service considering how far out some of these areas are and the lack of transportation options to and from the city? Most of the express bus lines in Queens (excluding the X63, X64, and X68) are run by (MTA) Bus, which does receive funding from the city to help them run service, so why can't more monies be given to beef up and extend service to folks in Queens??? Many of the lines in terms of the time from end to end seem to be comparable to the express bus lines in the Bronx and it seems like the Bronx gets very good express bus service. Hell even Brooklyn gets crappy express bus service these days.

Now, from my observations, the folks in the Bronx do use their express bus service (and we most certainly do in Riverdale), but so do the folks on the majority of the express bus lines in Queens. I'm starting to believe that politics are at play here because I can't think of any reason to explain it.

What I notice with Bronx and Queens express bus service is that they use their express bus service, but for Brooklyn, and I can only speak for Brooklyn. I live along the BM2 corridor, but also frequent the BM1 when the 2 acts up, and it's now rare to get express bus service to manhattan after 4pm on weekdays which sucks. (Another issue for another post).

I don't know too much about queens express bus service, however I think there are enough QM buses that cover downtown (I can be wrong, correction needed).

Do the people of Bayside/Douglaston/clearview warrant express bus service to Wall Street area? There's no QM connection within queens to connect for downtown service, and I think that's needed first and foremost, and that's prolly because all the branches are spread out.

What's so unique with Brooklyn express bus service is that you can connect for downtown/midtown service at Westminser Road + East 7th/Church Ave.

Don't know if that's the case with queens or the bronx.

What I notice with Bronx and Queens express bus service is that they use their express bus service, but for Brooklyn, and I can only speak for Brooklyn. I live along the BM2 corridor, but also frequent the BM1 when the 2 acts up, and it's now rare to get express bus service to manhattan after 4pm on weekdays which sucks. (Another issue for another post).

I don't know too much about queens express bus service, however I think there are enough QM buses that cover downtown (I can be wrong, correction needed).

Do the people of Bayside/Douglaston/clearview warrant express bus service to Wall Street area? There's no QM connection within queens to connect for downtown service, and I think that's needed first and foremost, and that's prolly because all the branches are spread out.

What's so unique with Brooklyn express bus service is that you can connect for downtown/midtown service at Westminser Road + East 7th/Church Ave.

Yeah, it sucks royally not to have express bus service to the city after 16:00 during the week or on Saturdays from Brooklyn. The (Q) line is knocked out everytime you turn around, which means having to go down to Coney Island and then come back up on the (N) to avoid dealing with the stupid shuttle buses at Prospect Park. Tomorrow I'll need the BM3 to go to my old neighborhood in Sheepshead Bay and they've cut the return trips down so much that I have to get up right away and leave out in order to run my errands and then get a BM3 back to the city. :mad: I used to stay down there and relax and shop and such but not anymore. No time to because it will increase my commute. The folks in Brooklyn should be doing this too because the (MTA) has slashed express bus service beyond belief and I get pissed everytime I think about it. :mad:

I just learned that I will be tutoring Italian in Queens in an area called "Locust Manor" on Saturday afternoons for three hours. It is served by the QM21 but only on weekdays, so that option is out for me which forces me onto the LIRR and means a long walk or two bus connections after that and that doesn't even include my commute from Riverdale to Penn Station.

I don't know why they don't run more Queens express buses on the weekends because in this case the QM21 would make my commute so much easier since the bus stops right by where I need to go. Not only is it more inconvenient, but I've got to pay an additional $12.50 on top of that for the LIRR. :)

The routes in The Bronx are generally more cost-efficient than the routes in Queens.

And they are probably going to merge MTAB and NYCT soon, and so that's why they want to keep costs low.

Yeah, it sucks royally not to have express bus service to the city after 16:00 during the week or on Saturdays from Brooklyn. The (Q) line is knocked out everytime you turn around, which means having to go down to Coney Island and then come back up on the (N) to avoid dealing with the stupid shuttle buses at Prospect Park. Tomorrow I'll need the BM3 to go to my old neighborhood in Sheepshead Bay and they've cut the return trips down so much that I have to get up right away and leave out in order to run my errands and then get a BM3 back to the city. :mad: I used to stay down there and relax and shop and such but not anymore. No time to because it will increase my commute. The folks in Brooklyn should be doing this too because the (MTA) has slashed express bus service beyond belief and I get pissed everytime I think about it. :mad:

I just learned that I will be tutoring Italian in Queens in an area called "Locust Manor" on Saturday afternoons for three hours. It is served by the QM21 but only on weekdays, so that option is out for me which forces me onto the LIRR and means a long walk or two bus connections after that and that doesn't even include my commute from Riverdale to Penn Station.

I don't know why they don't run more Queens express buses on the weekends because in this case the QM21 would make my commute so much easier since the bus stops right by where I need to go. Not only is it more inconvenient, but I've got to pay an additional $12.50 on top of that for the LIRR. :)

CityTicket is $3.75 on the weekends, so you'll pay $7.50.

And in any case, you really think they should run a bus just because you would benefit from it? Considering the high cost per passenger on the routes in SE Queens, there is likely very little ridership to run service on weekends, and plus the LIRR serves that general area. Geez, and I'm the selfish one?

And you said that the express bus pass shouldn't be cross-honored on the LIRR and MNRR because "It's premium for a reason". Well, this is what you get. Hope you enjoy shelling out an additional $7.50 because of that policy.

The routes in The Bronx are generally more cost-efficient than the routes in Queens.

And they are probably going to merge MTAB and NYCT soon, and so that's why they want to keep costs low.

CityTicket is $3.75 on the weekends, so you'll pay $7.50.

And in any case, you really think they should run a bus just because you would benefit from it? Considering the high cost per passenger on the routes in SE Queens, there is likely very little ridership to run service on weekends, and plus the LIRR serves that general area. Geez, and I'm the selfish one?

And you said that the express bus pass shouldn't be cross-honored on the LIRR and MNRR because "It's premium for a reason". Well, this is what you get. Hope you enjoy shelling out an additional $7.50 because of that policy.

Uh, not because of me but for the residents in general. I can see the benefit of the QM21 in that area. For me I'm doing this on Saturday for a few months I would imagine and that's probably it, but I can't imagine living there and having to deal with that. A real PITA... As for the cross honor policy, I still stand by that. I may not take MetroNorth after all. I may just take the QM5 or QM6 so far and then transfer. Either way I get to write it off since when I tutor I work as an independent contractor so it isn't really that big of a deal. I'll make at least $60.00 each time I go so that'll pay for my monthly transportation expenses either way.

Uh, not because of me but for the residents in general. I can see the benefit of the QM21 in that area. For me I'm doing this on Saturday for a few months I would imagine and that's probably it, but I can't imagine living there and having to deal with that. A real PITA... As for the cross honor policy, I still stand by that. I may not take MetroNorth after all. I may just take the QM5 or QM6 so far and then transfer. Either way I get to write it off since when I tutor I work as an independent contractor so it isn't really that big of a deal. I'll make at least $60.00 each time I go so that'll pay for my monthly transportation expenses either way.

Well yeah, anybody can say "Well it doesn't just benefit me" when coming up with an idea for expanded service. The point is that ridership on the SE Queens lines likely isn't high enough to warrant weekend service, based on the weekday ridership.

And you could always take the express bus and charge them as if you took the LIRR. :)

Even the QM7 and 8 riders I see waiting for the bus when I take the 1/5/6 always are saying they need more downtown buses at off peak hours, as a lot of them go into the wall street area later in the day. I don't know if there would be enough riders to justify the service, but the demand is still there.

Well yeah, anybody can say "Well it doesn't just benefit me" when coming up with an idea for expanded service. The point is that ridership on the SE Queens lines likely isn't high enough to warrant weekend service, based on the weekday ridership.

We get your point... No need to keep stating it over and over like a dead horse... It's very easy to say what demand isn't there when there is no service on the weekends. We can also say that there is probably not enough demand for Sunday X17 service, but we both know that is complete BS.

We get your point... No need to keep stating it over and over like a dead horse... It's very easy to say what demand isn't there when there is no service on the weekends. We can also say that there is probably not enough demand for Sunday X17 service, but we both know that is complete BS.

Yeah, except that I could prove that there is demand for Sunday X17 service. Look at the headways and ridership on weekdays, and even on Saturdays. Also look at X1 and X10 ridership on Sundays: A portion of those riders would've used the X17 if it ran. You can't do anything comparable for SE Queens.

Yeah, except that I could prove that there is demand for Sunday X17 service. Look at the headways and ridership on weekdays, and even on Saturdays. Also look at X1 and X10 ridership on Sundays: A portion of those riders would've used the X17 if it ran. You can't do anything comparable for SE Queens.

That's like saying there's no demand for Downtown service for Bronx express bus riders on the weekends... ;) I rest my case.

That's like saying there's no demand for Downtown service for Bronx express bus riders on the weekends... ;) I rest my case.

Simple. Look at the number of people who make transfers to the subway from the express bus and see if it's justified or not.

Besides, if riders really wanted to, they could transfer to an X1/10/17 or BM bus to go Downtown from 23rd Street.

Simple. Look at the number of people who make transfers to the subway from the express bus and see if it's justified or not.

Besides, if riders really wanted to, they could transfer to an X1/10/17 or BM bus to go Downtown from 23rd Street.

It's not that simple. People change their travel patterns based on what service is available to them. For example, I'll be going down to Union Square less now that I don't have direct access to it with the express bus and will be going to the one in Columbus Circle instead since the BxM2 lets me off near there.

Queens is the largest of New York City's five boroughs. Also, unlike the BM1-BM4, not all or most of the 22 Queens Express Buses meet at a one or two points where transfers are facilitated in Queens. The Downtown Express buses are the QM7, QM8, QM11, QM25. The QM7 and QM8 overlap to the point where at one point the QM7 was the short turn of the QM8 or in a vice versa sense, the QM8 was an extension of the QM7 and basically that still is the case as the AM Super Express QM8 trips still serves stops in Fresh Meadows that are only for the QM7 outside of the AM Super Express trips.

QM7/QM8 schedule for reference

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm007cur.pdf

The QM25 does not overlap with any other Express Bus but the QM24 as it is the Downtown version of the QM24. The QM11 only overlaps with the QM4 (to an extent), QM10, and QM18. A Queens transfer system for Northeast Queens riders would be complicated to set up in the first place as there is no central meeting point as I understand there is with the BM1-BM4, correct me if I am wrong.

Also in Queens, since you mentioned Douglaston, the QM3 does not overlap with the QM2/QM20 aside from parts of the non stop section

On another note what could also be done once a QM20 Wall Street comes into fruition. You could also set up a transfer situation between the QM2 (Midtown via 3rd Avenue and 6th Avenue) and QM20 (Midtown via 6th Avenue/Wall Street) at Whitestone Expressway and Linden Place where both the QM2 and QM20 stop. The transfer situation could be as follows, again, given that the QM2 has 3rd Avenue and 6th Avenue services and the QM20 has Wall Street and 6th Avenue services.

QM2 (3rd or 6th Avenue) > QM20 (Wall Street)

QM20 (6th Avenue or Wall Street) > QM2 (3rd Avenue)

And vice versa

here are QM2 and QM20 schedules for reference

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm002cur.pdf

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm020cur.pdf

By the way we are also looking for volunteers to do petitioning at the 57th Street and 3rd Avenue and the 6th Avenue and 35th Street bus stops on 3/12, 3/13, 3/14, 3/15 from 3 PM - 8 PM. Thanks to all who have offered to volunteer with us.

Queens is the largest of New York City's five boroughs. Also, unlike the BM1-BM4, not all or most of the 22 Queens Express Buses meet at a one or two points where transfers are facilitated in Queens. The Downtown Express buses are the QM7, QM8, QM11, QM25. The QM7 and QM8 overlap to the point where at one point the QM7 was the short turn of the QM8 or in a vice versa sense, the QM8 was an extension of the QM7 and basically that still is the case as the AM Super Express QM8 trips still serves stops in Fresh Meadows that are only for the QM7 outside of the AM Super Express trips.

The QM25 does not overlap with any other Express Bus but the QM24 as it is the Downtown version of the QM24. The QM11 only overlaps with the QM4 (to an extent), QM10, and QM18. A Queens transfer system for Northeast Queens riders would be complicated to set up in the first place as there is no central meeting point as I understand there is with the BM1-BM4, correct me if I am wrong.

Also in Queens, since you mentioned Douglaston, the QM3 does not overlap with the QM2/QM20 aside from parts of the non stop section

On another note what could also be done once a QM20 Wall Street comes into fruition. You could also set up a transfer situation between the QM2 (Midtown via 3rd Avenue and 6th Avenue) and QM20 (Midtown via 6th Avenue/Wall Street) at Whitestone Expressway and Linden Place where both the QM2 and QM20 stop. The transfer situation could be as follows, again, given that the QM2 has 3rd Avenue and 6th Avenue services and the QM20 has Wall Street and 6th Avenue services.

And vice versa

By the way we are also looking for volunteers to do petitioning at the 57th Street and 3rd Avenue and the 6th Avenue and 35th Street bus stops on 3/12, 3/13, 3/14, 3/15 from 3 PM - 8 PM. Thanks to all who have offered to volunteer with us.

You mentioned something with an online petition. I can't go to 57 & 3rd unfortunately. But I can vote on an online petition. I'd love to see a QM2/QM20 at Wall Street. Originally the DOT wanted Woodhaven Boulevard to be a Queens Express Bus Transfer Place. Three stops were part of the proposed Transfer Place. One was the Current QM10/QM11 stop on Woodhaven Boulevard and Hoffman Drive (at the LIE Approach), where Buses from Queens Boulevard Would Stop. The Second Transfer Stop was the Current QM10/QM11 Bus stop under the LIE (First Stop on Queens Bound Trips in Queens) The Third Stop would be a stop on Eliot Avenue and Queens Boulevard. Obiously this meant that the QM2/QM3/QM20 had to use Van Dam Street to get to LIE and then Use Eliot Avenue only to Get back on the LIE also well as via Van Wyck, Meaning NO more NORTHERN BLVD SERVICE during PM PEAK HOURS. That was a huge problem back then. The Transfer place itself had too many flaws anyways.

And vice versa

BM1 - BM4 expresses do meet up briefly together on Cortelyou Rd, but going to Brooklyn after that, they split up. I still would like to know why express bus service in Queens in general is so anemic...??? :confused::confused:

I don't think Church Avenue/East 7th Street is really a transfer point, because every neighborhood has both Downtown and Midtown service. But then again, each service isn't that frequent (I think the frequency is every 20-30 minutes to go to Downtown or Midtown from any of the branches), so you could have people in a hurry going there if they get on a bus going to the opposite destination.

I wonder if they try to let the buses meet up with each other, so say a BM1 to Downtown and a BM2 to Midtown arrive at the same time, and the same thing for the BM3/4. B35 via Church would probably know about this, since he sometimes takes the BM buses in the morning.

I don't think Church Avenue/East 7th Street is really a transfer point, because every neighborhood has both Downtown and Midtown service. But then again, each service isn't that frequent (I think the frequency is every 20-30 minutes to go to Downtown or Midtown from any of the branches), so you could have people in a hurry going there if they get on a bus going to the opposite destination.

I wonder if they try to let the buses meet up with each other, so say a BM1 to Downtown and a BM2 to Midtown arrive at the same time, and the same thing for the BM3/4. B35 via Church would probably know about this, since he sometimes takes the BM buses in the morning.

On Saturdays they run about every 10 minutes apart on the hour for a good portion of the day, this way if you miss a bus or there is a problem you don't have too long of a wait during the hour. I've been able to switch over and use the BM1 or the BM4 when the BM3 was messed up. This is one reason they try to keep all four buses around on Saturdays. I also use them during the week from time to time and to be honest they're too full to really try to accommodate each other's load.

It used to be (a transfer point).... but since the BM1 & 2 don't stop there no more, you hardly see more than a handful of ppl. at that stop anymore.... as of this past week, I've been experimenting w/ taking the dollar cab to the 49 & riding back to ditmas to boost my chances of catching the bus.... I've mostly been catching BM3's; think I'm gonna go back to just taking the 46 to the BM1..... I don't take the BM2 (well, the 46 to the 2) in the mornin much anymore b/c too many dam schoolkids wait at that WB B6/103 stop at av H/Utica for me to be bothered....

Anyway, Now people just wait at their regular stops for the downtown or the super express (midtown) variant of their route......

I do find that the downtown loop & the midtown variants meet up (albeit for different routes; i.e a BM1 downtown only will be behind a BM3 super express), especially at the cortelyou/stratford rd stop.... it's usually a crowd of people waiting at that stop... whether some of those folks are coming off other express buses, I don't know, but I highly doubt it....

It used to be (a transfer point).... but since the BM1 & 2 don't stop there no more, you hardly see more than a handful of ppl. at that stop anymore.... as of this past week, I've been experimenting w/ taking the dollar cab to the 49 & riding back to ditmas to boost my chances of catching the bus.... I've mostly been catching BM3's; think I'm gonna go back to just taking the 46 to the BM1..... I don't take the BM2 (well, the 46 to the 2) in the mornin much anymore b/c too many dam schoolkids wait at that WB B6/103 stop at av H/Utica for me to be bothered....

Anyway, Now people just wait at their regular stops for the downtown or the super express (midtown) variant of their route......

I do find that the downtown loop & the midtown variants meet up (albeit for different routes; i.e a BM1 downtown only will be behind a BM3 super express), especially at the cortelyou/stratford rd stop.... it's usually a crowd of people waiting at that stop... whether some of those folks are coming off other express buses, I don't know, but I highly doubt it....

Yeah the BM3s are set up like that. A Downtown Loop will run right with a Super Express. As for the folks at Cortelyou they just take whatever comes first from what I've seen.

I think it is kind of good to have the buses run like that. They do that with some BxM1 and BxM2 runs where they run together through Riverdale and sometimes I have a hard time picking which one to take since I have various options from either route. lol In Riverdale though, I get the feeling that folks switch off of the two routes more. I find myself using the BxM2 more than the BxM1 overall, but there are times when the BxM1 is more convenient so I take the 1 instead.

Yeah the BM3s are set up like that. A Downtown Loop will run right with a Super Express. As for the folks at Cortelyou they just take whatever comes first from what I've seen.

Although you're not wrong, I wasn't talking about the setup... The BM3 has 2 or 3 runs in the morning where the downtown loop & the super express depart concurrently... With the BM1 & 2, I know for a fact the super expresses are scheduled to run 5 mins. ahead of the downtown buses... don't know about the 4....

In any event, I can tell you by time buses hit cortelyou, there is no route whose variants are running back-to-back like one might think they would (i.e. a BM3 super express right behind a BM3 downtown loop).....

As for Cortelyou, there's got to be some reason a crowd converges at the stratford rd. stop.... If that stop wasn't so far away from where I live, I'd walk over there in the morning & figure it out firsthand....

Although you're not wrong, I wasn't talking about the setup... The BM3 has 2 or 3 runs in the morning where the downtown loop & the super express depart concurrently... With the BM1 & 2, I know for a fact the super expresses are scheduled to run 5 mins. ahead of the downtown buses... don't know about the 4....

In any event, I can tell you by time buses hit cortelyou, there is no route whose variants are running back-to-back like one might think they would (i.e. a BM3 super express right behind a BM3 downtown loop).....

As for Cortelyou, there's got to be some reason a crowd converges at the stratford rd. stop.... If that stop wasn't so far away from where I live, I'd walk over there in the morning & figure it out firsthand....

Yeah it makes sense that they wouldn't on the BM3... Too many factors come into play that isn't a problem in say Riverdale where they do that. As for that Cortelyou stop I think it's simple... All 4 express buses stop there so you have very frequent service there and you can probably still get a decent seat if you pick the right bus. After Cortelyou, they break off again. Once you get on there the ride into the city is pretty quick and worth it over the subway.

As for that Cortelyou stop I think it's simple...

All 4 express buses stop there so you have very frequent service there and you can probably still get a decent seat if you pick the right bus.

That would be an ideal reason as to why there wouldn't be any amt. of crowding at either of the 2 stops along cortelyou.....

Realistically, that is not the case though...

What exactly do you mean by "crowding" though?? :confused:

What do you mean what exactly do I mean by crowding.....

Enough people to form a crowd enough for me to have used the word "crowding", that's what....

about 10-15 ppl; didn't "exactly" sit there & count....

I don't know about you anymore....

Archived