i am waiting for amtrak to call me, email me but now i am worried

goten2255

i applied to amtrak about a week ago for two positions one is being an assiantant conductor trainee and the other lead service attendent i believe, they recieved it and said there in the process of reviewing it now here is the problem its been a week.

is this normal for it to be a week or not and also here is the catch the assiantant conductor trainee is in New York City, while the lead service attendent is in Miami and i live in Miami but i have always dream of being in the transit agency and i am happy with the thought of being a train conductor although i wish it does become true.

also i am getting impatiant because i am 25 years old and i need to change my life i need to get an apartment, i want to travel i love to travel, help my mom, get women, etc i am getting older and not realising it i am not in a major yet.

how long does it take to be called by their representive of the office do i have to wait months, years before one how can someone live without work not paying rent, bills, etc???

i applied to amtrak about a week ago for two positions one is being an assiantant conductor trainee and the other lead service attendent i believe, they recieved it and said there in the process of reviewing it now here is the problem its been a week.

is this normal for it to be a week or not and also here is the catch the assiantant conductor trainee is in New York City, while the lead service attendent is in Miami and i live in Miami but i have always dream of being in the transit agency and i am happy with the thought of being a train conductor although i wish it does become true.

also i am getting impatiant because i am 25 years old and i need to change my life i need to get an apartment, i want to travel i love to travel, help my mom, get women, etc i am getting older and not realising it i am not in a major yet.

how long does it take to be called by their representive of the office do i have to wait months, years before one how can someone live without work not paying rent, bills, etc???

Unfortunately, as everything in life...not a thing is promised to us. Keep applying, live your life. When it's your time...It's your time.

thank you i just wish it happens sooner but i understand what you mean when its my time to have an interview and be accepted then it is my time.

i wanted to ask about the CDL you see i took the CDL like a month ago and i failed the test i took it in Florida since i live in Miami but also is there an easy way of doing the CDL and the one i failed was the written one not the Road test one.

is the road test easy then the written test or is it harder to understand?

sorry to say this but amtrak calling you or others is like trying to win the lottery good luck while you wait i sugest you try to find other jobs

Once you apply for Amtrak (or any railroad position) you are better off just forgetting about it. Not to say that they won't call you should they like what they see. Just don't expect a call, letter, email or any other notification if your application ends up in the circular file. Don't let this discourage you. Persistence sometimes pays off. Just keep applying and re applying and one day you may get favorable results.

As far as your CDL don't even worry about the road test until you pass the written. It's not that it's any easier or harder. The written test you have to demonstrate your knowledge of the driving rules. The road test, you have to show you know how to drive and handle the vehicle from your pre-trip inspection until your post-trip inspection.

i checked my applications for amtrak and they still say there in process so i am crossing my fingers and hoping it will come true.

i will keep on applying i am not giving up hope i want a better future i am getting older by the years i need a career not just a job and its what i am aiming for.

Recently one of my applications for amtrak had cancelled posting of the train attendent one but that doesn't mean i will give up. I have three assiantant conductor trainee in three different locations, one in New York City, Two in Washington DC, and Three in Los Angeles even though i live in Miami Florida.

i want to be somebody great i am sick of tired of not doing anything or working in a low paying job i feel like i am a loser and i want to be a winner i want to have a career.

i am not known now but i will rise up to the top i want to be in the Transportation industry i want to be a part of the High Speed Rail industry and i want to be a Train Conductor.

i know its hard to get jobs but i am praying for the best, and i know getting to the rail industry is hard but guess what like all of you said i got to keep trying and thats what i should do i am not giving up i will be somebody great one day i will be able to travel around the world my biggest goal in life, be with women, help my family and among many things, and be completey happy with where i am at.

i tried with CSX so far they rejected three applications postions for me being a freight conductor, but i am still going to be trying is anybody working for Norfolk southern, or CSX or any passenger and freight railroad companies can tell me the experience please???

darn what the heck i want to be somebody, does this means i will never be a somebody i will always be a nobody????

i put in a resume i did everything good with the application, also i heard is it true the railroads like to hire ex military people??

also is Metro North or Long Island Railroad hiring conductors????? i don't mind about relocating and starting their school program overthere i want a career not some desk job or cashier job.

I hope you're aware that Amtrak, commuter and freight rail hire people within or near the region that happens to be hiring. If you're applying for Amtrak or freight rail in the NYC-Metro region, they won't even consider you. Good luck w/ MNR and LIRR. It's hard enough for residents in their operating area to get hired, what makes you think they'll hire someone from outside NY? Your location states you're from Miami; your best bet is to apply with a transportation agency near there.

Not only that, but you must have the required work experience. Amtrak & commuter railroads require prospective conductors to have cash-handling experience, i.e. working as a cashier at a department store or supermarket. Freight conductors usually need to have some physical labor experience. So if you're just applying blindly, it's just not going to work out in your favor.

i know they perfer to hire somebody from the same region but i can move i can relocate whenever and whereever possible i need to change my life right now i don't have a career i have a job which is a cashier and i am sick of it i need to be in a career i want my goals and dreams to come true.

so it means i don't have a future if i don't get hired i don't have a professional career, i cannot travel around the world go on an adventure then what the heck is my life what the heck is my future its a constant thought i am worried about everyday of my life and i am 25 years old.

i want to move out of miami i need to move somewhere i don't mind living in the country i want a better life its why i look into railroading since i like trains i figured why not be a conductor and i know its hard work but i can do it i am an american citizen and i as an american i can go the distance and be a great person i know i can i will be a conductor if that doesn't work then i can be a bus operator but i am willing to go for the transportation industry as thats what interests me alot its not just the vechiles its the traveling that i get to experience as well and then i can go see the world, just like a cowboy riding off into the sunset or a bird flying thru the sky i want my goals to come true, also i want to help out my mom as well.

I strongly advise you to go for your CDL again. Read the manual, work on the quizzes(in the manual & online @ the DMV website if available). Keep going for it until you're eventually behind the wheel. That's probably your best bet to get into the transportation industry. Always have a back-up and getting a CDL is in your favor.

FYI: Amtrak opened the application for Train Attendant in Miami again. Filing ends on Monday, the 19th. http://saperec.amtrak.com/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/hrrcf_a_posting_apply?PARAM=cG9zdF9pbnN0X2d1aWQ9NEY1Q0VFOTdFRjlBM0Y5NEUxMDAwMDAwMEEwRTc2MEQmY2FuZF90eXBlPUVYVA%3d%3d&sap-client=500&sap-language=EN. Look at the work experience required: "Prefer food and beverage handling experience. Prefer cash handling and customer contact experience as well as experience in Housekeeping."

i do have experience in working with food and handling money, currently i am a cashier in a retail store so i know how to handle money, i don't know about house keeping but i have experience with food i used to work in a resturant before washing dishes and cleaning tables sometimes handling food too i used to cut lettece before.

But your right i should get my CDL first if Amtrak will not hire me then that could be my best bet or maybe i could go to a Railroad Academy like Modoc, or NARS and etc???

• 2 weeks later...

Amtrak emailed me and now i am scheduled for an interview as a Train attendent its better then nothing and its on my way to being a conductor yay finally and maybe engineer if i can and then soon i can work for High Speed Rail yay finally alot of these things are happening.

i am schduled to go on April 17 2012 so wish me luck everybody and thank you Amtrak and thank you everybody.

I think you are going a little to overboard with relying on a job to determine your life. The Railroad life isn't for everyone . There will be Major changes where as they control you ,not the other way around . Your social life basically is the RR your first few years so get ready for a shock if you really want to live this lifestyle. Congrats on your first step.

Archived