Possible for someone to stream Subway Radio?

QueensCzar248

Hey everyone-

Would it be at all possible for someone to stream transit radio online? I remember a while back someone was awesome enough to stream it. I was just thinking how cool it would be if someone could re up since I don't live in the city and cant get the signal on my scanner. Thanks in advance! :cool:

Well it depends on the location of the person with the radio(or scanner). You can't just listen to the radio at any spot, and get everything. You have to be close to a Signal tower.

I have a scanner, closest i can get is the IRT division from here. But I don't plan on streaming.

Best to buy a scanner/radio cheap on ebay.

Well it depends on the location of the person with the radio(or scanner). You can't just listen to the radio at any spot, and get everything. You have to be close to a Signal tower.

I have a scanner, closest i can get is the IRT division from here. But I don't plan on streaming.

Yes those things help me a lot to know what's going on down under.Also I believe all action underground can only be heard underground.

I live in New Rochelle and I can only get the IRT (2,5, and Unionport) in the Bronx. "Your train is a layup," "run express to 180th."

As far as streaming, how many times do you want to hear "Conductors are advised to tell passengers that backpacks, coolers, and other large items are subject to random search. If you see something, say something." OR "operators are reminded, pursuant to rule ?? that they are to operate their trains safely, looking out for maintenance workers on the right of way"?

I stopped listening to the subway in Washington. DC because there was too much talk. The system doesn't have hold out lights and dispatchers would say "give me an extra minute at Federal Triangle" or "hold at Friendship Heights." Chatter on the IRT isn't as boring but it can get boring.:(

I took my scanner when I drove to Long Island and surprisingly didn't hear the B division. I guess that means the only excitement is on the A division.:(

I live in New Rochelle and I can only get the IRT (2,5, and Unionport) in the Bronx. "Your train is a layup," "run express to 180th."

You know, funny thing about the Unionport Tower is, I can be all the way Elmsford, or even Rockland county and I STILL get communication of UP at times.

I guess its because the tower offers pretty good signal and was built during the time 180th Barn got its renovation.

Yes those things help me a lot to know what's going on down under.Also I believe all action underground can only be heard underground.

Nah, you can hear inside or out. But depending on your scanner or radio, most MAY have problems grabbing feedback from below. Mine does at times.

And yes thats what I use it for. Ether I want to catch some good catching or if I'm stalled to long on a train without a reason, just the same stupid "We are being held due to train traffic ahead". And there is no train traffic, just a robbery ahead. :(.

If anyone around asks whats up, I'd tell em the truth.

As far as streaming, how many times do you want to hear "Conductors are advised to tell passengers that backpacks, coolers, and other large items are subject to random search. If you see something, say something." OR "operators are reminded, pursuant to rule ?? that they are to operate their trains safely, looking out for maintenance workers on the right of way"?

I can't deny that. I was hoping for some rush hour action: disorderly passengers, stuck/stalled trains, etc., but I guess thats few and far between the boring stuff.

You know, funny thing about the Unionport Tower is, I can be all the way Elmsford, or even Rockland county and I STILL get communication of UP at times.

Thats strange I rarely get anything in Rockland, but probably just my scanner and those damn Palisades blocking the signal.

I guess its because the tower offers pretty good signal and was built during the time 180th Barn got its renovation.

Nah, you can hear inside or out. But depending on your scanner or radio, most MAY have problems grabbing feedback from below. Mine does at times.

And yes thats what I use it for. Ether I want to catch some good catching or if I'm stalled to long on a train without a reason, just the same stupid "We are being held due to train traffic ahead". And there is no train traffic, just a robbery ahead. :(.

If anyone around asks whats up, I'd tell em the truth.

In some cases, the truth WON'T set you free. I remember riding Amtrak's Montrealer from MTR to WAS. Shortly after leaving St. Albans, a stupid motorist tried to beat the train over a grade crossing. [At the time, VT didn't have gates at every crossing.] The motorist and the car's occupants lost the race. Of course I heard everything on the scanner. The crew tried to keep it a secret from the passengers. After you're delayed three hours, passengers stop believing mechanical problems and start thinking something else, especially when they see police cars and an ambulance come to the train.

An assistant conductor threathened to confiscate my scanner. (He was hyperventilating.)

Use discretion when releasing information. You don't want to start a panic.

Thats true. It's also illegal to disclose any information heard on the scanner to others. I've always been advised to use headphones and keep your scanner in a backpack or something so you dont draw the attention of other passengers or look like someone who knows whats going on. And when I see someone with a scanner while on the job, I always stop them just to make sure it isn't a transceiver and they aren't using it to commit crimes. So it's best to make sure no one even knows you have it.

In some cases, the truth

Use discretion when releasing information. You don't want to start a panic.

I dont disclose if no ones asking. I MAY say something. But only to a few people. Which I personally dont see anything wrong at times.

QueensC

Thats true. It's also illegal to disclose any information heard on the scanner to others. I've always been advised to use headphones and keep your scanner in a backpack or something so you dont draw the attention of other passengers or look like someone who knows whats going on. And when I see someone with a scanner while on the job, I always stop them just to make sure it isn't a transceiver and they aren't using it to commit crimes. So it's best to make sure no one even knows you have it.

Yep, I use headsets as well. You dont want as$hole cops going off on you with the scanner.

I dont disclose if no ones asking. I MAY say something. But only to a few people. Which I personally dont see anything wrong at times.

Yep, I use headsets as well. You dont want as$hole cops going off on you with the scanner.

You're going to ask a stranger "Are you committing a crime? Are you a MTA employee?

And when I see someone with a scanner while on the job, I always stop them just to make sure it isn't a transceiver and they aren't using it to commit crimes. So it's best to make sure no one even knows you have it.

How are you going to stop them? Are you an MTA worker or Police officer?

What scanners do people listen to in the park? The park police? Sounds super lame to me...

Just depends on when and where. Rainy days are a bust, 110 degree summer days and the place can get pretty crazy. Plus where I work, I'm not dealing with hikers and campers, I'm dealing with homeless, gangs, and other illegal stuff. So some people aren't scanning for fun, they're using it to their benefit.

Archived