SOS on the Horn

MHV9218

Did the train have a long layover at 125? Its possible there was a medical emergency or something on the train and the T/O was signaling NYPD, who apparently wasn't at 77th. Someone may have been removed from the train at 125 possibly because the T/O called central for assistance to meet at 125. (sorry for the non-TA lingo, I'm used to calling "central" on my portable.)

It really depends. If it was a call for NYPD there isn't a morse-code type "SOS pattern" for us to summon Police, ie; ••• — — ••• (although there is one). Considering it was only from the Train Operator there is a real possibility there was a track gang clearing up-which can take awhile-along with an issue of a Battery Run to the crew from Control Center to run express in order to attempt to make up time.

Either way the Conductor should have informed the passengers of the reason for the delay although there are MANY TIMES Train Operators don't let their Conductors know what's going on on the tracks ahead.

I love when the TO gets on the PA and gives some really detailed explanation of what is happening right after the CR gives some generic "umm, we are held momentarily by te dispatcher" and is clearly not aware of what is going on.

I've even been on trains where te CR is giving some kind of long, funny announcement at a station, and the TO chimes in on the PA to cut him off. Talk about bad communication.

I know the signal for police activity is — •• — ••. I was once on an R32 (C) at Utica, the train stalled there for a minute with the doors closed, then the C/R did the signal (I was on first car). The doors stayed shut and the C/R kept signaling, then finally the doors opened and IIRC I got the (A) across the platform. I think I might have the video on YT, dunno tho.

You're right. Thanks.

Close. :o

As you pointed out it's close but definitely not the call for PD assistance. BTW can you imagine someone blowing SOS on the horn/whistle and wondering why there's no response? I'd love to read that G2. I'd also like to see how much time in the street the crew member who made that mistake would get.

As you pointed out it's close but definitely not the call for PD assistance. BTW can you imagine someone blowing SOS on the horn/whistle and wondering why there's no response? I'd love to read that G2. I'd also like to see how much time in the street the crew member who made that mistake would get.

Can you imagine how pathetic to make it all the way to the point of writing a G2 and still writing the wrong thing despite the resources?

Get this. 6 Schoolcar Train Operators early last year got sent back to Conductor (one back to Buses) because 5 got this wrong; •••••

I forget what the sixth [question] was but it was a sad story–only 3 made it past the signals exam! 3. One of their instructors was #1 TSS— youknowwho. He was one of my instructors, too... and half of the MTA...

Archived