Port Authority expands airline incentive program at Stewart International Airport

Placing a renewed emphasis on attracting new airlines and routes at Stewart International Airport, the Port Authority Board of Commissioners approved a financial incentive program that waives certain fees for carriers, provides marketing support and makes Stewart an attractive alternative gateway to the New York metropolitan region.

This latest action complements the recent approval by the Board of a $20 million expansion of Stewart along with planned runway rehabilitation work, and further reaffirms the Port Authority’s goal of establishing Stewart as a strong regional airport and economic engine for the mid-Hudson Valley. After Stewart was hard-hit by the economic downturn, it began to rebound in 2011 with a 4.6 percent increase in passengers, up to 413,815 air travelers last year. Building on momentum established through previous incentives, the Board’s action seeks to expand the global reach of the program by offering enticements aimed at low-cost carriers flying longer-haul international routes. Financial incentives will be offered for airlines that institute new nonstop service to destinations not currently served by Stewart, with certain fees and rental costs waived by the Port Authority. Additionally, the agency will pay for marketing and advertising support to publicize any new routes.

The Port Authority will pay up to $3 per departing seat offered by airlines on new nonstop routes, with the total benefit not to exceed $250,000 for international routes and $150,000 for domestic routes in the first full year of nonstop service. Additional incentives would be provided in the second year of service.

These incentives will help Stewart enhance air services, generate competitive fare and flight options, and help reduce congestion at other Port Authority airports. Costs to the Port Authority with this program are anticipated to be offset with the additional revenue generated by the added flights and passenger traffic

Press Release Article - Port Authority of NY & NJ

I figured this would happen sooner or later. But this one is kind of tricky. True, it has potential to be a new gateway to the area, but the airlines that serve it will have to make it very attractive to the customes. Right now, I can't see myself traveling for 90 minutes to the airport when I have options of JFK, LGA, and EWR right in my back yard.

Those ticket prices to and from Stewart would have to be significantly lower to justify the extra travel time.

I figured this would happen sooner or later. But this one is kind of tricky. True, it has potential to be a new gateway to the area, but the airlines that serve it will have to make it very attractive to the customes. Right now, I can't see myself traveling for 90 minutes to the airport when I have options of JFK, LGA, and EWR right in my back yard.

Those ticket prices to and from Stewart would have to be significantly lower to justify the extra travel time.

The PANYNY and the city of New York could move to close LGA for property redelvopment and force all that traffic up to Steward, but that will never happen. But give it 10-15 years even with all the projects at JFK and EWR they will hit their limits. What I can see happening it PANYNJ will have to pay for either a rail or bus link and pay for the operating cost.

Archived