B46 +SelectBusService+

East New York

SBS has clearly it's advantages for heavy routes such as the B44 & 46, and hopefully other slow, but heavy routes in the near future.

Not to mention that if for some reason, you prefer routes with the old-fashioned payment system, you could still use the local.

Makes me wonder if every route in NYC will one day become BRT route...

They think BRT service is the answer to everything, but not really.

I'd rather see Light Rail service out of Bayonne to SI instead of an +SBS.

Well, there are entire bus systems (many of them in Europe) where the entire bus system is POP.

In any case, there are certain routes that could use POP, and certain ones that don't need it.

Its sad how students protested against the (MTA) for almost losing the MetroCard, but SOME of them are the same people who continue to farebeat. Now with the ticket going up to $500, that doesn't stop anyone from farebeating. FOCUS on ENFORCEMENT.

That was a proposal. It hasn't actually been passed yet.

Was this by any chance a low floor bus? people tend to have issues going to the back on a low floor for some reason...

Ugh. Don't remind me. :mad::tdown:

I mean, I've seen it happen on high-floors as well, though obviously less often.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

You picked a decent time to bump this thread. Went to a community board meeting today, DOT presented their study of Utica Av, and want to:

1. Put in left turn bays along and ban some left turns along the avenue

2. Move the current southbound bus lane between Eastern Pkwy and Carroll St to in-between St. Johns Pl and Eastern Pkwy instead (to help speed up the approach to Eastern Pkwy, and primarily to appease merchants who asked for parking spots)

3. Paint offset bus lanes (from where to where wasn't specified, only that the Church Av intersection will fall under its length)

4. Set up Transit Signal Priority from Kings Highway to Broadway.

The last two are of course there for potential SBS sometime down the road. 

It's about fuccking time they're looking to change the traffic signal duration along the route, and insert TSP... this will help LTD buses get through the corridor 50% faster. I guarantee this will work along with off-board fare payments... The line does not necessarily need bus lanes up and down the corridor because it's physically impossible north of Empire Blvd to the bridge.

• 6 months later...

Not to mention, won't those machines be vandalized/destroyed? I just don't see this working for northern Brooklyn.

The LIRR's Nostrand Ave and East New York stations have TVMs that are, how do we say, "jailed in". I'm guessing the SBS machines will be fitted the same way.....

• 2 weeks later...

DOT updated their page on the B46. They don't outright say they're planning on bringing SBS to the route.. but since they're gonna do it eventually (I mean, they're open about their desire to install bus bulbs), even if it's a couple of years down the line, why bother to hide it?

Here's the slideshow with all the bus lane/traffic changes DOT wants to make. Interestingly, they cite the B35 to B46 transfer at Church & Utica as the busiest transfer between any two single bus lines in the whole city. (Which, I guess makes sense, since the only pair of routes that meet up and are busier than B35 & B46 is the B46 & B6 at Utica Av & Av H, and B44 & B46 at WBP, so there's not much competition.) 

DOT updated their page on the B46. They don't outright say they're planning on bringing SBS to the route.. but since they're gonna do it eventually (I mean, they're open about their desire to install bus bulbs), even if it's a couple of years down the line, why bother to hide it?

Here's the slideshow with all the bus lane/traffic changes DOT wants to make. Interestingly, they cite the B35 to B46 transfer at Church & Utica as the busiest transfer between any two single bus lines in the whole city. (Which, I guess makes sense, since the only pair of routes that meet up and are busier than B35 & B46 is the B46 & B6 at Utica Av & Av H, and B44 & B46 at WBP, so there's not much competition.) 

The problem is that giving SBS is politically tricky; DOT under this administration has said that future SBS routes will not have off-board payment til the new payment system goes online (which makes sense, because installing hundreds of thousands dollars' worth of obsolete machines sounds like a waste), and the state law authorizing SBS bus lane cameras only allows them for one bus route per borough, and Brooklyn already has it on the B44. Given the current state of things, there isn't much of a benefit for them to call it SBS.

I believe the B46 should have been the first brooklyn route to get SBS or at least artics for right now. How do you still have routes with the top 10 ridership in the city still using standard buses? The B35 is another one but the CNG kills the whole articulated thing unless the MTA was to order CNG artics. I believe the B35 is another good route for SBS.

I believe the B46 should have been the first brooklyn route to get SBS or at least artics for right now. How do you still have routes with the top 10 ridership in the city still using standard buses? The B35 is another one but the CNG kills the whole articulated thing unless the MTA was to order CNG artics. I believe the B35 is another good route for SBS.

Can the same argument be made about the top 10 routes in each borough?

... the state law authorizing SBS bus lane cameras only allows them for one bus route per borough....

Who came up with such a stupid law? (Probably an upstate legislator whose friend's company makes the cameras but can't make them fast enough.)

The B35 is another one but the CNG kills the whole articulated thing unless the MTA was to order CNG artics....

...or reassigns the :bus_bullet_b35: from Gleason to East New York.

Who came up with such a stupid law? (Probably an upstate legislator whose friend's company makes the cameras but can't make them fast enough.)

The B35 has about 80 runs during the week (not counting the interlines with other routes like the B8 and B70). That's gonna be a whole lot of reorganizing at both ENY and Gleason if that were to happen, plus ENY may have to give up a route.

There are a fair amount of state legislators who are opposed to any sort of camera on city streets.

The B35 has about 80 runs during the week (not counting the interlines with other routes like the B8 and B70). That's gonna be a whole lot of reorganizing at both ENY and Gleason if that were to happen, plus ENY may have to give up a route.

B35 to ENY... lol...

Soon as I read his comment, I immediately said to myself, for that to happen, ENY would have to hand over at least 1 route.....

I would agree with xfers b/w the B35 & the B46 being the busiest in all the system (esp. from off the SB 46 to the EB B35).... Hell, FWIW, the two routes hook up almost smack dab in the middle of the borough, and they are both routes that carry very heavy in their own rights, so it makes sense looking at it from that standpoint.... xfers b/w the B46 & the B6 I'd say is pretty close too....

Although I get your point in mentioning that both these routes carry heavy, xfers b/w the 44 & the 46 @ WBP is virtually non existant....

If anything, there are more xfers from off either of the Queens routes (54 or 59) @ WBP  than those xferring b/w the 44 & 46.... I'd go as far as to say there are more xfers from off the B39 to either of the B44 or 46....

SBS on the B46... *shrugs*...

I'm not gonna bother wasting too many keystrokes on which route should/shouldn't get SBS, because SBS-ing (lol) a vast majority of the system (along w/ a few dinky shuttles here & there) will likely be the future of how our bus network will be set-up/structured.....

20 years from now, there'll be a set of new transit enthusiasts (along with some of the ones in their teens on here now) that'll be on here LTAO from a route like a Bx17 or a... B17, being a candidate for SBS......

Man if they can just give us the off-board fare collection - that alone would speed things up by 50% (I believe I mentioned that a while ago).

As far as stops (I've mentioned before, but now with a slight modification):

Northbound from Kings Plaza to Bridge Plaza -

• Kings Plaza
  • Avenue N
  • Flatlands Avenue
  • Avenue H
  • Avenue D
  • Church Avenue
  • Winthrop Street
  • Empire Blvd
  • Eastern Parkway
  • Fulton Street
  • Gates Avenue
  • Dekalb Avenue
  • Myrtle Avenue
  • Flushing Avenue
  • Union Avenue
  • Williamsburg Bridge

Now I removed Halsey Street because it's rather narrow, and I believe the locals can handle it.

St Johns was removed because it's literally right there next to Eastern Parkway.

You have transfers from the B45 there in both directions; but southbound - you'll get a clunk of passengers who just walked from the 3/4 trains at EP just to get a seat at St Johns.

With the current configuration at Kings Plaza, it's impossible to have all artic SBS going there, so they'll wind up short-turning buses at either Flatlands Avenue or Avenue H (I'm inclined to think the latter though) then back to Dekalb Avenue (current northbound short turn).

All 46 reliefs would probably be moved to Kings Plaza now, since Fillmore Av would no longer be a stop along the route, and there's a full-time dispatcher there too. However, I do believe they "MAY" keep Flatbush Avenue as a drop-off stop (sorta like Bedford & Taylor on the SBS44), just for the Q35 and B9 transfers (50/50 chance ... I dunno. lol)

B35 is right about the Church & Utica stop - most transfers are from the 35s going west into Sunset are dumping off massively onto the 46s northbound; then southbound 46s dumping on eastbound 35s. However, I've seen those eastbound 35s dump off on southbound 46s too. It's happened all too often with me (now that I'm back on the 46) where I get to Church Av, southbound, have a crush load that I've dumped there, and reload with ANOTHER crush load... smh... It's incredible.

The original study called for off-board fare collection between Eastern Parkway and Avenue H, but not full SBS. The bus lane looks like it will run from Lincoln Place to Avenue H. Frankly, that is enough.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Lanes reconfigured along Utica Avenue between St Johns and Church Ave.
Left lane banned at Church Avenue, Lenox Rd., Empire Blvd., and Eastern Parkway.

Bus lanes almost complete.

SBS will more than likely be here by next year for the corridor. That's the talk of the depot right now.

Archived