B46 +SelectBusService+

East New York

I see issues with this. However, there's really no way to detour the B46SBS to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza.

The best possible detour I see is left on Dekalb. Right on Bedford. Follow SBS44 to Bridge Plaza.

Return trip. Left on Robeling, left on Lee/Nostrand, left on Myrtle, right on BWAY, right on Malcolm X than regular.

No stops between Dekalb and Bedford. (bridge bound)

Stops via Bridge : Flushing Avenue, Williamsburg Bridge Plaza.

Return Trip via KP: Bridge Plaza, Division/Lee, Nostrand/Flushing

No stops between Myrtle and Malcolm X (KP Bound)

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh , this is going to be interesting, Especially  Right on Broadway , Right on Decalb and left on MalcomX, I drove SBS bus only few times, but i do think those three turns will not be fun.

Also where will the turn around be at KP ? Regular stop can not handle any extra buses that are 60 feet long

HEHEHE

Heh , this is going to be interesting, Especially Right on Broadway , Right on Decalb and left on MalcomX, I drove SBS bus only few times, but i do think those three turns will not be fun.

Also where will the turn around be at KP ? Regular stop can not handle any extra buses that are 60 feet long

HEHEHE

That turn from Broadway to DeKalb isn't much of a problem since DeKalb is wide enough. Inky problem there is the pillar smack dab in the street.

Now from Malcolm X. into Broadway is gonna be hilarious. The shorties have a hard time as it is, especially when there's that 1 car who doesn't follow the stop line. More than likely, they gonna make that DeKalb stop longer for the artics so you won't have the ass of the bus arbitrarily sticking out into the street.

Having that pilar does not help at all, but having a 60 foot bus siting at the lay over spot on the Decalb will not help at all *2.

There is no way a tail end of Artic will straighen its self out while making that tight turn into decalb and parking at that lay over spot. This means it will stick out to the left atleast few feet. and that will make it even more fun for the next bus at turning.

In addition to that, even if the car on decab will move back to let Artic make that left turn, the back part of the bus will never be straight at the first stop, that means that decalb will be blocked and no truck or local coming from the bridge will make it past the artic on the decalb stop.

It is going to be a fun day for sure !

My choice would be:

Left Broadway,

Left Myrtle

Right Lewis

Right Broadway

OR

Left Decalb ( the bus stop  area will help to make that turn )

Right Lewis( the bus stop  area will help to make that turn )

Right Broadway

They really need to rethink terminating the SBS at Dekalb Avenue only. And if this IS the case, I guarantee they'll be a service change the very next pick. The morning rush, those bridge buses are packed bridge-bound -- most of them dumping at Flushing Avenue (crucial stop), and the PM rush is the same, when you're picking up the folks going home from the hospital and other transfer passengers. 

It's better they convert it to the way it is now, by sending every other SBS to the bridge, or 1 out of 3 go to the bridge. The traffic isn't as bad on the weekends, so they'll have to work around it somehow by sending them up there. You can't just abandon Broadway from the planned ops.

As for what Fresh Pond stated, those locals can very well handle Broadway during the evening hours, like after 10pm, but you can forget it during the day... I think their idea is to have folks board the local buses southbound, and transfer at Dekalb Avenue, but what happens when folks need northbound local service at Dekalb? 9/10 - those buses will have a hard time showing up, or be super-bunched when they do show.

The SBS44 and locals were a different category because of the routing change - the locals were getting dildoed northbound on NY Avenue (being SBS' running up Rogers), blowing their layovers and getting killed again southbound because of the lateness. This isn't the case with B46 -- it's Broadway that'll be an issue, and of course they'll short half the locals at Dekalb to maintain service on the opposite direction.

They really need to rethink terminating the SBS at Dekalb Avenue only. And if this IS the case, I guarantee they'll be a service change the very next pick. The morning rush, those bridge buses are packed bridge-bound -- most of them dumping at Flushing Avenue (crucial stop), and the PM rush is the same, when you're picking up the folks going home from the hospital and other transfer passengers.

It's better they convert it to the way it is now, by sending every other SBS to the bridge, or 1 out of 3 go to the bridge. The traffic isn't as bad on the weekends, so they'll have to work around it somehow by sending them up there. You can't just abandon Broadway from the planned ops.

As for what Fresh Pond stated, those locals can very well handle Broadway during the evening hours, like after 10pm, but you can forget it during the day... I think their idea is to have folks board the local buses southbound, and transfer at Dekalb Avenue, but what happens when folks need northbound local service at Dekalb? 9/10 - those buses will have a hard time showing up, or be super-bunched when they do show.

The SBS44 and locals were a different category because of the routing change - the locals were getting dildoed northbound on NY Avenue (being SBS' running up Rogers), blowing their layovers and getting killed again southbound because of the lateness. This isn't the case with B46 -- it's Broadway that'll be an issue, and of course they'll short half the locals at Dekalb to maintain service on the opposite direction.

The main problem IMO for extending the SBS to the plaza is the Jamaica El and the amount of stops it would make on Broadway.

I can live with the extra stops, but the el could be a problem if it were to have a lot of traffic on Broadway. Broadway is not a wide enough street where the el have to be in the middle of the street, but I think it would still cause problems anyways.

• 1 year later...

You have stops on some of these SBS routes that are getting four or sometimes five machines installed at them because of heavy ridership volumes. Which stops would those be on the B46?

-Fulton St

-Eastern Pkwy

-Empire Blvd

-definitely Church

-maybe Av D, but not as heavy as the others

The main problem IMO for extending the SBS to the plaza is the Jamaica El and the amount of stops it would make on Broadway.

I can live with the extra stops, but the el could be a problem if it were to have a lot of traffic on Broadway. Broadway is not a wide enough street where the el have to be in the middle of the street, but I think it would still cause problems anyways.

Umm. what's the ridership north of Dekalb? Is the Bridge a major stop? Myrtle? Would it warrant a alternate route to Williamsburg maybe? Union? maybe via DeKalb to Bedford with the B44? Just asking?

Umm. what's the ridership north of Dekalb? Is the Bridge a major stop? Myrtle? Would it warrant a alternate route to Williamsburg maybe? Union? maybe via DeKalb to Bedford with the B44? Just asking?

That's the same thing I said in a previous post in the past.

Northbound 46. Dekalb, Bedford, Taylor, to the Bridge

Southbound 46. Lee, Nostrand. Lafayette. Malcolm X/Utica. Or Broadway. Union. Lafayette. Malcolm X. Those can be doable. However, it's the ridership levels and does it warrant.

The problem is that Broadway & Flushing Avenue is a big stop, with the hospital right there (not to mention the high-density housing projects in the area). 

This document shows the ons/off for the current limited stops. The busiest stops north of DeKalb are Flushing, Myrtle (labeled as Jefferson Street), Marcy, and WBP itself.

The problem is that Broadway & Flushing Avenue is a big stop, with the hospital right there (not to mention the high-density housing projects in the area). 

This document shows the ons/off for the current limited stops. The busiest stops north of DeKalb are Flushing, Myrtle (labeled as Jefferson Street), Marcy, and WBP itself.

You forgot Union Avenue transfer is available to the (G) that stop is crazy packed sometimes.

Well appearantly the northbound B46 at church as Three Sbs machines being setup.

Also the southbound B46 at Eastern Pkwy is under construction

B46 SBS Coming along slowly but surely...

Yep. Set for a spring 2016 start date. Proof in this PDF:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/brt-uticaave-winter-spring-newsletter-2016.pdf

Gotcha.

Also this is the 1st SBS bus service that is shorter then it's local counterpart?  M15 to Allen, BX12 to PelhamBay, BX41 Equal..? 

Gotcha.

Also this is the 1st SBS bus service that is shorter then it's local counterpart?  M15 to Allen, BX12 to PelhamBay, BX41 Equal..? 

The M15 has half the buses go to South Ferry, so it's intended to be equal length.

The M86 is a little shorter than the original route (the first/last stop is Broadway rather than West End Avenue). The S79 has the S59 & S78, so I'm not sure how you want to count those. (The S78 is considered the primary local, over the S59, and the S78 is much longer length-wise)

Other than that, the SBS length is always greater than or equal to the local length.

B46 SBS may not travel full route due to narrow streets north of Eastern Pkwy, south of Empire Blvd more wider.

I understand that's a good point.. but what do you do with the ridership north of Eastern Parkway? What's the point of the SBS if 30-40% of the route can't benefit from the service? It's funny I always get confused when I think of SBS service I think of BRT.. Silverline in LA, New route up in Hartford. Honestly im just looking at this as a glorified limited service with pre-boarding fare. Which I think is great within itself. Northern end of the route im not really going to equate speed in that factor but they have to run it to DeKalb at least .. But you're right south of Empire should befit nicely.. Are they planing on running 60 footers on the route?  

I understand that's a good point.. but what do you do with the ridership north of Eastern Parkway? What's the point of the SBS if 30-40% of the route can't benefit from the service? It's funny I always get confused when I think of SBS service I think of BRT.. Silverline in LA, New route up in Hartford. Honestly im just looking at this as a glorified limited service with pre-boarding fare. Which I think is great within itself. Northern end of the route im not really going to equate speed in that factor but they have to run it to DeKalb at least .. But you're right south of Empire should befit nicely.. Are they planing on running 60 footers on the route?

I'm guessing standard fleet for now. Later on 60 footers.

Archived