Should the QM7/QM8 Be Combined

Why would you do that? THe existing scheme a- already exists, so any changes need to have long term savings to outweigh the cost of new signs, etc. This plan does not do that. The whole point of having different numbers is to indicate that the buses go to different places at all times.

b- are you suggesting skipping all stops after 64th avenue? That is ridiculous. MOst passengers get on after 64th avenue.

Why would you do that? THe existing scheme a- already exists, so any changes need to have long term savings to outweigh the cost of new signs, etc. This plan does not do that. The whole point of having different numbers is to indicate that the buses go to different places at all times.

b- are you suggesting skipping all stops after 64th avenue? That is ridiculous. MOst passengers get on after 64th avenue.

I agree... They already combine some QM express buses as it is. Let's not go giving the (MTA) any more "bright" ideas as to how to further destroy express bus service in Queens.

I get so sick of hearing about combining routes and how to make the express bus more cost "efficient". Why don't we combine some LIRR routes since everyone is so bloody cost efficient all of a sudden. :(

I agree... They already combine some QM express buses as it is. Let's not go giving the (MTA) any more "bright" ideas as to how to further destroy express bus service in Queens.

I get so sick of hearing about combining routes and how to make the express bus more cost "efficient". Why don't we combine some LIRR routes since everyone is so bloody cost efficient all of a sudden. :(

I dunno. Why don't we? If there's extra service left to cut, then let's cut it and reinvest it into restoring services that shouldn't have been cut.

What part of my last statement did you not understand?????

So where do you think those savings are going then if not towards any of the 3 things I described?

In any case, the topics on this forum include things that should happen in addition to those that will happen. I think that there should be cuts, with money being reinvested into services that are needed more, and you think that there shouldn't have been any cuts, but they happened anyway.

So where do you think those savings are going then if not towards any of the 3 things I described?

In any case, the topics on this forum include things that should happen in addition to those that will happen. I think that there should be cuts, with money being reinvested into services that are needed more, and you think that there shouldn't have been any cuts, but they happened anyway.

They're certainly not helping to make the commutes of riders any better that's for sure. But yes, let's cut it (*sarcasm*) because after all that seems to be all that the (MTA) is interested in these days and then they can't figure why ridership on buses keeps decreasing. :(

They really went too far when splitting the QM1/A. There should only have been one change: the renaming of the Lake Success service to the QM6. Once that totally independent leg is separated, the rest isn't that confusing.

With a few exceptions (QM10, QM18, QM4 weekend), Bronx, Queens, and SI express buses do pretty well in terms of cost recovery. Unless absolutely necessary, there shouldn't be more than a couple minor cuts. Spring Creek, on the other hand...

They really went too far when splitting the QM1/A. There should only have been one change: the renaming of the Lake Success service to the QM6. Once that totally independent leg is separated, the rest isn't that confusing.

With a few exceptions (QM10, QM18, QM4 weekend), Bronx, Queens, and SI express buses do pretty well in terms of cost recovery. Unless absolutely necessary, there shouldn't be more than a couple minor cuts. Spring Creek, on the other hand...

Yeah what about Spring Creek....?? :mad: Let's hear it because they've cut Saturday service on the BM1 - BM4 to have the last run to the city at 15:00 so I'd like to hear what you're complaining about now?? They used to send buses to Manhattan on Saturday up until 22:00 and there is no Sunday service at all. And I know you can't be complaining about weekday service because they have service to Manhattan until 16:00 or so, so what is it that you're bemoaning now??

Yeah what about Spring Creek....?? :mad: Let's hear it because they've cut service on the BM1 - BM4 to have the last run to the city at 15:00 so I'd like to hear what you're complaining about now?? They used to send buses to Manhattan up until 22:00.

That was only on Saturdays VG8. On weekdays the last BM buses for Midtown left checkpoint (at Church Ave/East 7th)at around 730-8pm. I do agree that the Manhattan bound BM1-2-3 should be restored to leave Church Ave at around 730pm Monday-Saturday

They're certainly not helping to make the commutes of riders any better that's for sure. But yes, let's cut it (*sarcasm*) because after all that seems to be all that the (MTA) is interested in these days and then they can't figure why ridership on buses keeps decreasing. :(

How do you know? Maybe by cutting some of the service, it prevented cuts on another line. Or maybe it is being used to prevent a fare hike. IS it really fair that riders have to pack themselves onto the Bx12 while a BM4 rider gets the bus to themselves?

What are you trying to say with this....

He's saying "Oh, that's wishful thinking", and yet that's what a lot of this forum is based on: How we feel the service should be run. We have a ton of threads that throw out ideas that are very good, but highly unlikely to happen, even though they may be better than the current setup. That's the whole point of this forum: To not only discuss how things are, but how they should be.

Yeah what about Spring Creek....?? :mad: Let's hear it because they've cut Saturday service on the BM1 - BM4 to have the last run to the city at 15:00 so I'd like to hear what you're complaining about now?? They used to send buses to Manhattan on Saturday up until 22:00 and there is no Sunday service at all. And I know you can't be complaining about weekday service because they have service to Manhattan until 16:00 or so, so what is it that you're bemoaning now??

Does he have to spell it out for you? The farebox recovery on those routes is terrible, even with the cuts they made. It's just not as terrible as it was before.

Does he have to spell it out for you? The farebox recovery on those routes is terrible, even with the cuts they made. It's just not as terrible as it was before.

Yeah, well he should spell it out because I don't believe it. They only run service to Manhattan until 16:00 during the week and the buses are well used going to Manhattan during the week, and well used coming back to Brooklyn so where is the terrible farebox recovery that the two of you keep harping on?? On Saturdays service has been reduced to 15:00 going back to the city and there is no Sunday service to speak of. I would like to know how is that Spring Creeks express buses have such "ASTRONOMICAL" costs when compared to other express bus routes? I don't buy it. Just an excuse for them to cut service. They said the same thing about routes like the X16. The costs were SOOO high. Maybe the routes would have better ridership if they sent out the buses on time. The BM3 runs like garbage on Saturdays... 20 minutes late is the norm. :tdown:

The unfortunate truth is, that when MTA Bus no longer gets the blank check from the city, massive cuts will probably be made to all express and even some local routes, a few of which will be justified while most will not be.

Weekdays BM1-BM3 and rush hours BM4-BM5 in my opinion are fine. No need to touch those.

I would like to know how is that Spring Creeks express buses have such ASTRONOMICAL costs when compared to other routes? I don't buy it. Just an excuse for them to cut service.

Neither do I.....

I don't put much stock into cost per rider & farebox recovery ratio's either....

huh?

this has nothin to do with what I was asking you....

Yeah, well he should spell it out because I don't believe it. They only run service to Manhattan until 16:00 during the week and the buses are well used going to Manhattan during the week, and well used coming back to Brooklyn so where is the terrible farebox recovery that the two of you keep harping on?? On Saturdays service has been reduced to 15:00 going back to the city and there is no Sunday service to speak of. I would like to know how is that Spring Creeks express buses have such "ASTRONOMICAL" costs when compared to other express bus routes? I don't buy it. Just an excuse for them to cut service. They said the same thing about routes like the X16. The costs were SOOO high. Maybe the routes would have better ridership if they sent out the buses on time. The BM3 runs like garbage on Saturdays... 20 minutes late is the norm. :tdown:

They might have said that the X16 costs a lot to operate, but their own numbers contradict them. They may have said "It cost over $10 per passenger", but the last I checked, $8.16 is not over $10. That's not the case for the BM routes. In fact, the BM4 on Saturdays cost $40 per passenger and yet they didn't cut it because of a "Recent Change". We all know that's code for "the one guy who rides the bus complained and so we're leaving it alone".

huh?

this has nothin to do with what I was asking you....

I always respond to each post individually, unless I state otherwise. I revised it.

How do you know? Maybe by cutting some of the service, it prevented cuts on another line. Or maybe it is being used to prevent a fare hike. IS it really fair that riders have to pack themselves onto the Bx12 while a BM4 rider gets the bus to themselves

Well that's funny that you talk about BM4 riders having buses to themselves, because there is next to little service on the weekends, so I have no clue of what you're talking about. Saturday service is minimal and there is no Sunday service. You clearly just like to hear yourself complain. It's also funny how everyone has it so much worse than the folks in other places... The Bx12 is sooo bad, but the S53 according to you isn't that bad. lol

They might have said that the X16 costs a lot to operate, but their own numbers contradict them.

That's funny... And now they claim that Spring Creek express buses cost SO much to operate too... Very interesting... And they didn't might have said anything. That's the reason they claimed... High costs and low ridership, meanwhile they didn't send out buses for an hour at a time so they did their best to kill service, but let's believe the numbers they put out because they're so honest with their stats. lol

I always respond to each post individually, unless I state otherwise. I revised it.

Yeah well perhaps you should not post until you've finished replying to each post individually. That is possible to do you know. I do it all of the time.

1) Well that's funny that you talk about BM4 riders having buses to themselves, because there is next to little service on the weekends, so I have no clue of what you're talking about. Saturday service is minimal and there is no Sunday service. You clearly just like to hear yourself complain. It's also funny how everyone has it so much worse than the folks in other places... The Bx12 is sooo bad, but the S53 according to you isn't that bad. lol

2) That's funny... And now they claim that Spring Creek express buses cost SO much to operate too... Very interesting...

3) Yeah well perhaps you should not post until you've finished replying to each post individually. That is possible to do you know. I do it all of the time.

1) The Bx12 has over 5 times the ridership of the S53. And I never said the S53 never got crowded. In fact, I included it in the argument for the S83 that I worked on. I just said ridership hasn't increased that much.

2) Yes, they do, and their numbers back it up. Even with all the stuff they did with the X16, the bus was still efficient even though they said it wasn't. The BM routes on the other hand are still inefficient.

And somehow you complain about the buses showing up 20 minutes late, and yet you don't think running times should be adjusted. Maybe the B/O knows that he's not going to get anybody, but he doesn't want to arrive early, so he leaves late and makes up the time further down the route. Maybe if the running time was adjusted, that wouldn't happen.

3) Those are my habits. Learn to deal with them or don't bother replying to me.

And you edit your posts all the time. In fact this post is an example of that. You added on "And they didn't might have said anything. That's the reason they claimed... High costs and low ridership, meanwhile they didn't send out buses for an hour at a time so they did their best to kill service, but let's believe the numbers they put out because they're so honest with their stats. lol" after I had clicked "Reply".

alright, cool....

before your revision, it made it look like you were directing what you said @ Via, at me... that's what two successive quotes like that generally means....

He's saying "Oh, that's wishful thinking", and yet that's what a lot of this forum is based on: How we feel the service should be run. We have a ton of threads that throw out ideas that are very good, but highly unlikely to happen, even though they may be better than the current setup. That's the whole point of this forum: To not only discuss how things are, but how they should be.

I thought you were insinuating that we shouldn't talk about the way things (we may think) should be on the forum.... regardless, thanks for the clarification.....

They might have said that the X16 costs a lot to operate, but their own numbers contradict them.

lol... and these are the same numbers I, the rider, suppose to believe...

That's why I question these stats; numbers can be altered to support, anything..... cost per rider or w/e being as high as they are on express buses doesn't mean the expresses are any less important or useless than locals... regardless of whatever alternatives there are.....

1) The Bx12 has over 5 times the ridership of the S53. And I never said the S53 never got crowded. In fact, I included it in the argument for the S83 that I worked on. I just said ridership hasn't increased that much.

What does the fact that the Bx12 has over 5 times the ridership have to do with service levels? That means nothing because you have to look at what sort of service levels are being provided on the two lines and as it is now, the S53 is the busiest line on Staten Island and it usually receives frequencies of 10 minutes which is a joke. I rode it this morning briefly to catch the X14 and the bus was packed like a sardine can. It becomes unbearable once you get to Richmond Rd and Targee Street.

2) Yes, they do, and their numbers back it up. Even with all the stuff they did with the X16, the bus was still efficient even though they said it wasn't. The BM routes on the other hand are still inefficient.

Inefficient how so??

And somehow you complain about the buses showing up 20 minutes late, and yet you don't think running times should be adjusted. Maybe the B/O knows that he's not going to get anybody, but he doesn't want to arrive early, so he leaves late and makes up the time further down the route. Maybe if the running time was adjusted, that wouldn't happen.

Yeah well 20 minutes is ridiculous. The run times don't need to be adjusted because they often times arrive late and remain late, especially of late because they pick up folks.

3) Those are my habits. Learn to deal with them or don't bother replying to me.

And you edit your posts all the time. In fact this post is an example of that. You added on "And they didn't might have said anything. That's the reason they claimed... High costs and low ridership, meanwhile they didn't send out buses for an hour at a time so they did their best to kill service, but let's believe the numbers they put out because they're so honest with their stats. lol" after I had clicked "Reply".

There's a big difference between what I do and what you do. You take multiple quotes, reply to one of them as if you're replying to all of them at once when in reality you're not which confuses people, and not just me either, so it's a habit that I don't get. Me on the other hand I may decide to add to a post so as not to create a new post if I see something I want to reply to that I didn't before and no one else has replied since I did. I just try to keep down clutter. You on the other hand, I don't know why you do that but it is quite confusing.

Archived