Should the QM7/QM8 Be Combined

Well yeah, maybe it increased 5-10% on SI routes overall, but I still don't think it affected the heavier routes that much.

As for that S46, I think the main reason was the bus type used. I can't get the different types straight, but it was either a 3G or XCelsior on the S46. Had it been an O5 or even an O7, he wouldn't have had to pass people.

In any case, I've rode the S46 around that time for the past few years, and it's always been crowded (unless something crazy happened) at that time.

Part of the reason why he was flagging people could've been because he was running late too (the lateness caused him to be more crowded in the first place, and he tried to save a little bit of time by flagging people). He stopped at every stop where there were people, but the thing is that some people didn't go on. Whether they felt the bus was too crowded or the B/O closed the door before they made it in I don't know.

Or perhaps they knew another bus was coming soon... Why don't we clear this up because you keep saying that you don't think it affected the heavier used routes that much, yet you're not clarifying what you consider to be increased ridership. Also if ridership wasn't growing then the (MTA) wouldn't be adding service on lines like the S53. It'll be interesting to see what they add because 10 minute frequencies on that line is an insult.

The reason I started this thread was because of the mixed feelings of people of this matter. I Would do the following if the MTA was to do that.

All QM7 Trips will be extended via QM8 Route .

QM8 buses will have 2 service patterns.

1. Current Service on QM8 buses

2. Super Express; regular QM8 until 188 street, go up 188 street to 64 Avenue, then Express along 188 street/LIE/FDR Dr. To Downtown Manhattan.

Current QM8 buses would operate under service pattern 1

Current QM7 buses would be renamed QM8, would be extended to 260 street, but would run up 188 street to 64 Avenue then non-stop to Downtown.

Fresh Meadow Riders along 188 and Certain QM8 points will have faster service to Downtown. The chance of catching a QM8 bus would be every 10 minutes.

20 minutes for each branch.

So in other words, you wanna cut service to the oval, cut the legitimate definition of a super express and send both lines to 260th? That wouldn't fly with both residents & the MTA! Might as well keep the branches the way they are. This is just nonsensical.

But can the QM7 handle Union Turnpike without the QM8?

I guess so.I don't live near that section of Union Turnpike. I live right by the LIE service road. But what happens is if the QM7 is the only downtown express, won't the bus get too crowded?

So in other words, you wanna cut service to the oval, cut the legitimate definition of a super express and send both lines to 260th? That wouldn't fly with both residents & the MTA! Might as well keep the branches the way they are. This is just nonsensical.

I'm just saying. Not what I want to happen. Under what I said there will still be service to the 260 street and 188 street ovals, and that QM8 buses will alternate between 188 street Super Express and Union Turnpike Express. There would also be no QM7 as the QM8 would serve 188 street riders direct service to Lower Manhattan.

I have a couple questions about the current super expresses.

In the AM rush headed Downtown, do the super express QM8's turn RIGHT onto 188th (instead of left), go to the oval, and then run nonstop via the LIE?

In the PM rush headed towards Queens, which side of Water Street do the super express QM8's pick up from, and do they access the FDR Drive from the beginning (Whitehall Street), or from under the Brooklyn Bridge?

I have a couple questions about the current super expresses.

In the AM rush headed Downtown, do the super express QM8's turn RIGHT onto 188th (instead of left), go to the oval, and then run nonstop via the LIE?

In the PM rush headed towards Queens, which side of Water Street do the super express QM8's pick up from, and do they access the FDR Drive from the beginning (Whitehall Street), or from under the Brooklyn Bridge?

1. The QM8 buses do turn right and go non-stop via LIE instead of Union Turnpike.

2.The QM8 from Water Street pick-up on the opposite side that the other PM regular express buses pick up and go unto FDR Drive via Wagner Place

Wall Street going southbound, makes a left on Gouverneur Lane and either left onto South Street or makes a right onto South Street down to where the U-Turn is at and then goes onto the F.D.R.

Or perhaps they knew another bus was coming soon... Why don't we clear this up because you keep saying that you don't think it affected the heavier used routes that much, yet you're not clarifying what you consider to be increased ridership. Also if ridership wasn't growing then the (MTA) wouldn't be adding service on lines like the S53. It'll be interesting to see what they add because 10 minute frequencies on that line is an insult.

I doubt it. According to the schedule, the next bus is 17 minutes away. The bus came late, but even so, the next bus would've been at least 10 minutes away.

As for increased ridership, what's there to explain? It's when I notice any changes in the level of crowding on the bus. If it's too small to notice, then don't consider it significant enough to be worth mentioning. If the buses normally have 10 standees and then they have 12 standees, that's not significant enough for me to say "BusTime has led to this increase", because ridership naturally fluctuates. But if there's a bus where there's normally no standees and after riding that particular run several times I notice that there are 10 standees, then I'll consider it significant.

As for the S53, I remember that committee meeting, and it was from before BusTime was implemented IIRC, so ridership was increasing anyway.

I guess so.I don't live near that section of Union Turnpike. I live right by the LIE service road. But what happens is if the QM7 is the only downtown express, won't the bus get too crowded?

That is exactly what will happen. The route can handle 1 or 2 super express buses in the morning, like there are now, but the vast majority of buses need to pick up on Union Turnpike, or you will have mass crowding and angry riders. The Super Express from queens is not actually all that much faster, since the LIE is often backed up until woodhaven boulevard area, where all the QM 1/5/6/7/8's get on the LIE.

I doubt it. According to the schedule, the next bus is 17 minutes away. The bus came late, but even so, the next bus would've been at least 10 minutes away.

As for increased ridership, what's there to explain? It's when I notice any changes in the level of crowding on the bus. If it's too small to notice, then don't consider it significant enough to be worth mentioning. If the buses normally have 10 standees and then they have 12 standees, that's not significant enough for me to say "BusTime has led to this increase", because ridership naturally fluctuates. But if there's a bus where there's normally no standees and after riding that particular run several times I notice that there are 10 standees, then I'll consider it significant.

As for the S53, I remember that committee meeting, and it was from before BusTime was implemented IIRC, so ridership was increasing anyway.

Even so though, now with Bus Time I see folks that I normally don't see taking the bus and part of it is due to Bus Time.

That is exactly what will happen. The route can handle 1 or 2 super express buses in the morning, like there are now, but the vast majority of buses need to pick up on Union Turnpike, or you will have mass crowding and angry riders. The Super Express from queens is not actually all that much faster, since the LIE is often backed up until woodhaven boulevard area, where all the QM 1/5/6/7/8's get on the LIE.

Why exactly did they redo the QM1 and make all of those branches for anyway???

Archived