Can MNRR Trains go to Hartford?

BM5 via Woodhaven

Well I look at an Aeral View of Google Maps on the Railroad Tracks past Waterbury. There is three tracks which turns into two. One track ends somewhere in a suburban town and the other tracks connect to AMTRAK tracks that go to Hartford. Is it safe for MNRR trains to go on these tracks and go to Hartford.

The line is not electrified.

neither is the Waterbury trains.

If the question is can the locomotives physically use those tracks to go up there, the answer is yes, but legally no since Amtrak has trackage rights to their hartford and springfield line.

The track conditon is probably very poor since noone really goes up there

neither is the Waterbury trains.

If the question is can the locomotives physically use those tracks to go up there, the answer is yes, but legally no since Amtrak has trackage rights to their hartford and springfield line.

The track conditon is probably very poor since noone really goes up there

And Amtrak uses the line multiple times a day.

And Amtrak uses the line multiple times a day.

Not to change the subject but diesels are also used on these mnrr coordiors.

1)Hudson Line-Between Poughkeepsie and Croton Harmon

2)Harlem Valley Line-Between Wassic and Southeast(Brewster north)

3)Both (NJT)operated West of Hudson Lines aka Pt. Jervis and Spring Valley, NY lines.

Back to topic. There was talk among a few CT. political leaders around 2007-'08 including former Gov. Jodi Rell about creating a new New Haven-Hartford-Springfield, Mass line to be run by either the CT DOT or Metro North.

I am sure it been placed on hold due to the recession.

Not to change the subject but diesels are also used on these mnrr coordiors.

1)Hudson Line-Between Poughkeepsie and Croton Harmon

2)Harlem Valley Line-Between Wassic and Southeast(Brewster north)

3)Both (NJT)operated West of Hudson Lines aka Pt. Jervis and Spring Valley, NY lines.

Back to topic. There was talk among a few CT. political leaders around 2007-'08 including former Gov. Jodi Rell about creating a new New Haven-Hartford-Springfield, Mass line to be run by either the CT DOT or Metro North.

I am sure it been placed on hold due to the recession.

Beacon Line is another. :P Even tho its not in passenger service.

Yeah, hopefully this plan succeeds in the near future, the I-91 corridor surely need some commuter rail service into NYC/New Haven.

It's a line that won't gain enough ridership to sustain commuter rail service, a DMU line would do. I'd rather invest on the I-287 corridor.

I don't think a NYC-Hartford MNRR line would work since it's already almost 2 hours between GCT and New Haven. Instead just like CT DOT"s Shore Line East to SE CT. maybe create a regional line between Stamford and Hartford/Springfield, Mass linking Bradley Airport/Hartford and Central Mass's Pioneer Valley including Springfield.

I go to Springfield at least once a year and the problem is that it is single track for most of the route. The shuttle trains from New Haven are two cars with an engine (push-pull) each way. If my memory serves me correctly, they are supposed to add a second track on the route beginning this year that would improve the service going up there.

What they should do is add a stop at the National Basketball Hall of Fame at Springfield which is on the route and would increase ridership.

I go to Springfield at least once a year and the problem is that it is single track for most of the route. The shuttle trains from New Haven are two cars with an engine (push-pull) each way. If my memory serves me correctly, they are supposed to add a second track on the route beginning this year that would improve the service going up there.

What they should do is add a stop at the National Basketball Hall of Fame at Springfield which is on the route and would increase ridership.

Thus why i support if funding became available(assuming mostly from Washington since this is a multi-state issue)a line between New Haven and Hartford/Springfield similar to the Shoreeast line serving the SE coast of CT.

You do know that Con DOT does have plans for commuter service on Amtrak's Hartford/Springfield line. They have already got some government money to start adding more passing tracks to the line for this coming service.

Also New Haven and Hartford are planning a BRT route that would run between both cities. The MNRR goes to New Haven. You can board an MNRR train and get off at New Haven before boarding a bus to Hartford. That is a cheaper way to travel than Amtrak.

Also New Haven and Hartford are planning a BRT route that would run between both cities. The MNRR goes to New Haven. You can board an MNRR train and get off at New Haven before boarding a bus to Hartford. That is a cheaper way to travel than Amtrak.

Or even better if you going to/from NYC and Hartford is use Peter Pan/Greyhound as well.:eek:

yea but doesnt Amtrak do that already?

But Amtrak's service is aimed more at intercity travel, than commuter/travel. The current Inland Route service doesn't run frequently enough for most commuters to, from and between New Haven, Hartford and Springfield to use. That's where the commuter rail service comes in.

The BRT route is planned to run between Hartford and New Britain, not New Haven. The BRT route won't connect to Metro-North, because New Britain and New Haven are far from each other.

Still a few years off before its up. All I know its a CON DOT project

I checked on the status of the project through the National Association of Railroad Passengers website and the latest information was from September 2011. There was a reference to money being given for the design and preliminary engineering for a 6 mile stretch of new double track from Hartford to Windsor and for an 8500' track for the Hartford yard.

The problem with the route is that it's S-L-O-W. It takes about 90 minutes to go 60 miles.. The MAS is 80 for most of the route. There's a slow stretch through Wallingford. The single track stretches are in CT. Schedules are designed for meets at the end of double track segments. It's double track in MA.

I don't think the speed can be increased without eliminating a lot of the grade crossings.

Traffic isn't evenly distributed during the day. There is more southbound traffic in the morning and more northbound traffic in the evening. I'm not sure a second track is necessary. Reducing travel time would have a greater impact on service.

Archived