MTA Run Number system

East New York

Does anyone know what the logic is behind the run numbers for the buses? I know how it works at NYCT, but MTAB is quite confusing. It looks like the local buses are the same or similar to NYCT local runs. MTAB use everything from 001-970 on express runs. As far as Spring Creek goes, I know the numbers are like NYCT on local runs, and express runs use the route numbers. i.e. Bm2 205, Bm5 505. But I don't understand the rest. Does anyone know??

Spring Creek is right like that, other depots such as Yonkers I simply don't understand the run system.

I was told that 3-digit runs at least out of Yonkers indicate that the bus operator works two routes in one scheduled workday. So I guess that means an operator could do something like start from Riverdale Avenue as route BxM18, then head north as route BxM1, 2, 3, 4A/B, or 11. Or start as a BxM1 from East Midtown, then turn into a BxM2 after laying over up at Riverdale Avenue (due to having the same terminal in Riverdale) and head south as a BxM2.

I was told that this holds true in NYCT also, where 3-digit runs are used at least in Queens (like Q30/31) and Staten Island (probably on corresponding Local-Limited routes). However Baisley Park also uses 3-digit runs on its local routes and I know the operators there, they never told me anything about doing doubles on the routes in a workday.

I realize now that the run system is not standardized among MTA Bus depots so I have a lot of investigating to do before I find concrete answers..

Spring Creek is right like that, other depots such as Yonkers I simply don't understand the run system.

I was told that 3-digit runs at least out of Yonkers indicate that the bus operator works two routes in one scheduled workday. So I guess that means an operator could do something like start from Riverdale Avenue as route BxM18, then head north as route BxM1, 2, 3, 4A/B, or 11. Or start as a BxM1 from East Midtown, then turn into a BxM2 after laying over up at Riverdale Avenue (due to having the same terminal in Riverdale) and head south as a BxM2.

I was told that this holds true in NYCT also, where 3-digit runs are used at least in Queens (like Q30/31) and Staten Island (probably on corresponding Local-Limited routes). However Baisley Park also uses 3-digit runs on its local routes and I know the operators there, they never told me anything about doing doubles on the routes in a workday.

I realize now that the run system is not standardized among MTA Bus depots so I have a lot of investigating to do before I find concrete answers..

Thanks. Let me know if you find out before I do. I know the Bx12 SBS is 2XX run numbers.

It means multiple routes......A buddy of mine who works at MTA Bus Yonkers Depot, does the multiple route thingy.......

But I know a local operator from Baisley whose bus on the Q112 is signed with a 3-digit run, but he doesn't work multiple routes.

Also found out from a Kingsbridge operator recently that with the Bx7/20, a bus operator could actually work the 7 on his first half and the 20 on the second half or vice versa (with normal 1/2 digit run numbers). This is why sometimes I see things like 017 on the Bx20, when I know the Bx20 doesn't run enough buses in a day to have a real 17th run. So that's actually a guy with 017 on the Bx7 first half, then with the same run number but on the Bx20 second half (even though that many buses would never be on the Bx20 in a day).

But I know a local operator from Baisley whose bus on the Q112 is signed with a 3-digit run, but he doesn't work multiple routes.

Also found out from a Kingsbridge operator recently that with the Bx7/20, a bus operator could actually work the 7 on his first half and the 20 on the second half or vice versa (with normal 1/2 digit run numbers). This is why sometimes I see things like 017 on the Bx20, when I know the Bx20 doesn't run enough buses in a day to have a real 17th run. So that's actually a guy with 017 on the Bx7 first half, then with the same run number but on the Bx20 second half (even though that many buses would never be on the Bx20 in a day).

Yeah, that 3 digit thing doesn't apply to all MTA Bus Co. Depots. Almost all the routes are 3 digit, and I as well knoe that some of these drivers only work one route.

So you all have your answers. It means just what it is. Just numbers. Why do some have 3 digits, but only do one route, and some with 1 or 2 digits, do multiple routes? It makes no sense, but guys/gals/he she (its), this is the MTA and nothing should make sense here..........

So you all have your answers. It means just what it is. Just numbers. Why do some have 3 digits, but only do one route, and some with 1 or 2 digits, do multiple routes? It makes no sense, but guys/gals/he she (its), this is the MTA and nothing should make sense here..........

LOL.... very true!

Archived